PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Jones

Insidious
13th December 2020, 09:11 PM
I can't find a thread on him?!?!

Can you imagine the confidence-boost (as if he needs one!) he would have got had he put away the chance today where he had the ball for more than half the length of the pitch?

Was gutted it didn't go in. He's becoming a very valuable player.

Kev0909
13th December 2020, 09:14 PM
What a run that was, when was the last time a midfielder of ours did that??

if he finished it,would of been a contender for goal of the season

He's been our best midfielders- which doesn't say much for the others but yeah

Nineteenx
13th December 2020, 09:15 PM
Needs to find some end product, make better decisions and improve in the press

Insidious
13th December 2020, 09:17 PM
Needs to find some end product, make better decisions and improve in the press

Agree on the point about the press, but his goal against Ajax sealed Champion's League qualification to the knock-out stages this season to be fair to him.

HLOGI
13th December 2020, 09:24 PM
He us raw and I ser dome of the things 19 mentioned. But I live the boy. he is a ball playing footballer. U get hardworking players who as time goes also improve as a baller but they are workhorses by trade.

Curtis Jones falls into that category of naturally gifted footballers. Thise who do things that make the admission worth it. He is young but he is going to be some number 10. His style is similar to Grealish. But he will be way verder and Grealish is a fine player.

reddownunder
14th December 2020, 04:22 AM
He's ahead of Keita and Ox in the pecking order for me. He's got a lot of potential and needs a good run of starts to continue his development. Keita and Ox can't be relied upon to stay fit and shouldn't stand in the way of his progress

Steveo
14th December 2020, 09:23 AM
Nobody said he was the finished article but @ just 19!!!!’ the lad is superb, has bags of natural ability and is a real goal threat. A quality player already PLUS Scouse born and bred.

Klopp loves him - I love him what is not to like..?

miller0863
14th December 2020, 10:37 AM
He tries the unexpected, tries to beat a man and be progressive which is one criticism many of us have levelled at Wij. Wij had a 98% pass completion v Wolves and is excellent at ball retention but we need someone with a more progressive attitude like the one displayed by Curtis

CCTV
14th December 2020, 03:14 PM
Keep it up lad, still think hes finding his feet with the pace of the pro-game

justme
14th December 2020, 03:20 PM
I liked how he was able to look fit at 90 minutes and will still running around. shows hes got stamina and hes only 19/20 he can only get stronger.

ianlfc
16th December 2020, 11:25 PM
What a performance tonight against probably the ugliest, hardest midfield in the league.

Insidious
16th December 2020, 11:28 PM
What a performance tonight against probably the ugliest, hardest midfield in the league.

Jones was really something, wasn't he?

If he keeps this up and also *touch wood* has a good injury record, we are laughing.

Kev0909
16th December 2020, 11:29 PM
Midfield seems to be completely different at home, compared to away

Add a few goals and he'll be perfect

justme
16th December 2020, 11:34 PM
Be hard to score goals when hes deeper. He was in front of the back line picking up the ball at times. He looks a very fluid player..
Looks a really talent to me :)

Balinkay
16th December 2020, 11:34 PM
I especially loved / hated the trick back heel pass he gave around the 75th minute. Nerves? What nerves?

miller0863
16th December 2020, 11:40 PM
Still developing his game, he will get stronger, more confident and know when to go himself and when to play someone in. He has the talent and at 19 he is way ahead of schedule

Insidious
16th December 2020, 11:42 PM
I especially loved / hated the trick back heel pass he gave around the 75th minute. Nerves? What nerves?

That reminded me of when my Dad and I used to watch Italy in the '06 World Cup and Pirlo would always, ALWAYS take the ball when under pressure and do something needlessly casual (which, if possession were lost, would result in a one-on-one) and it always came off in the end. The heart was always in the proverbial mouth though and "for f**k's sake Pirlo!!!!" would be uttered by both of us each time.

Jones will make the odd mistake with moments like that in future and we may end up having to accept that (C. Ronaldo in his early Man United career over-complicated things at time) but if it comes off more often than not and he continues to progress his "without the ball" game we'll be delighted.

Having Trent and Jones at the club at the age they're both at is wonderful. If more can "come through" (even if we are talking players purchased at a young age, such as we did with Sterling) that want to play for us (Elliott?) as well, it will help with continuity/DNA/legacy while saving us a Fortune in the transfer market.

Nineteenx
16th December 2020, 11:56 PM
Tonight was his best performance in a Liverpool shirt by a country mile tonight, the main aspect of his improvement from other performances being a far FAR better contribution to the team press and better discipline and awareness in his play overall, greatly assisted I feel by very obvious tweaks made to how we lined up and the positions of both full backs and Bobby, it made a huge difference

dicko1969
18th December 2020, 04:36 AM
S e n s a t i o n a l

94% pass success
103/107 passes

Insidious
18th December 2020, 09:50 AM
S e n s a t i o n a l

94% pass success
103/107 passes

Just to expand on this -

106/113 passes completed (most)
16 final ⅓ entries
9 ball recoveries
4/5 aerial duels won
4 interceptions
4 penalty area entries
3 shots
2 chances created

He's 6'2, excellent first touch, wins headers, seeks to progress the ball forward when it's on, can maintain possession rather than seeking to always force it, can dribble and in training is surrounded by Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Ox, Keita, Fabinho,Alcantara and Shaqiri - not to mention Firmino, Salah, Mane, Robertson and Trent.

There will be inconsistencies, there will be mistakes, but he looks very exciting.

If there is an upside to all the injury woes we have had, it's the opportunities that the likes of Jones and Rhys Williams will get. But for the centre-back injuries, Fabinho likely remains in midfield.

It's a lovely feeling when even the largest of problems, like the loss of the World's best centre-back, open doors.

Steveo
18th December 2020, 09:11 PM
https://youtu.be/LI8S6Jc653Q

Controlled the midfield... Kwality - nuff said

ianlfc
18th December 2020, 09:42 PM
I'd love him to get a winning goal tomorrow . He'd be unstoppable after that.

Joetan991
19th December 2020, 04:00 AM
remind me about Gerrard, step up and play like a man when giving a chance at his youth age.

I think now he should worth 15m-20m.

Insidious
31st January 2021, 11:24 PM
Still raw, but totally understandable having only just turned 20.

A brilliant impact today and with luck can contribute for years with us.

dicko1969
1st February 2021, 12:45 AM
What I like about jones compared to all the other midfielders is that he takes players on, drives forward all the time.
Mostly are midfield play like sideways ray Wilkins. (RIP Ray).
Keita can too for 60mins every 10th game or so.
Jones gives the midfield serious legs.

SydneyLFC
1st February 2021, 12:46 AM
Bit cheeky, isn't he? Like all L8 boys ;)

miller0863
1st February 2021, 12:51 AM
His Cameos of late have been excellent, proper member of the squad now.

Nineteenx
1st February 2021, 07:45 AM
He's had some decent displays, i'm not getting carried away just yet as we have an incredible ability to completely overhype and hugely overrate any local lad or academy product

In the West Ham game i did finally get a glimpse of why he is thought of so highly, mhim moving it quickly and not wanting too much time and too many touches as in all his previous appearances made a huge difference

Nineteenx
1st February 2021, 07:53 AM
The best advice anyone could give Curtis is to remember our strength is our incredible humility and ability to play as a team, the days of the superstar player have long since past and/or aren't applicable to what makes us great, stop being a Gerrard wannabe, work really fucking hard and be the best Curtis Jones you can possibly be

ianlfc
1st February 2021, 05:20 PM
The best advice anyone could give Curtis is to remember our strength is our incredible humility and ability to play as a team, the days of the superstar player have long since past and/or aren't applicable to what makes us great, stop being a Gerrard wannabe, work really fucking hard and be the best Curtis Jones you can possibly be

The best advice would be for him to stay off social media. There's a few fucking headers knocking about it !!

Insidious
1st February 2021, 07:50 PM
The best advice would be for him to stay off social media. There's a few fucking headers knocking about it !!

Absolute cess-pit.

Couple of the United players were subjected to racist comments recently. There's a "right" way to hate that club and racism is most certainly not it.

skyebo
1st February 2021, 07:52 PM
Absolute cess-pit.

Couple of the United players were subjected to racist comments recently. There's a "right" way to hate that club and racism is most certainly not it.

Well said Sid.

Nineteenx
1st February 2021, 10:25 PM
Absolute cess-pit.

It is truly appalling and unacceptable, the filthy's casual, 'when it suits them' approach to racism that we saw with the Cavani episode really doesn't help anyone either, after everything that has happened their stance on Cavani should have been he should face the same ban as Suarez did for the same offence, clearly outlining it is not acceptable anywhere or in any shape or form

Insidious
1st February 2021, 10:40 PM
It is truly appalling and unacceptable, the filthy's casual, 'when it suits them' approach to racism that we saw with the Cavani episode really doesn't help anyone either, after everything that has happened their stance on Cavani should have been he should face the same ban as Suarez did for the same offence, clearly outlining it is not acceptable anywhere or in any shape or form

I'd need to run over what went on again and the context / interpreted mood within the scenario to add an opinion on that to be Honest - what I would say though is that a clamour from our fans for some sort of equity in terms of the punishment could, however well-intentioned, come across a little "we faced this, they should face the same" and subsequently project an idea that we cared more about that than the abuse suffered by individuals - I'd certainly find it an incredibly delicate discussion if I was in company and that was bandied around the table.

ianlfc
7th February 2021, 08:12 PM
Well I thought was great today and did enough to stay on .He looked our only creative player in midfield which lets be honest wouldn't be hard.

Kev0909
7th February 2021, 08:14 PM
Agree, strange decision.....

Nineteenx
7th February 2021, 08:20 PM
Let's maybe not overhype him and when he starts actually delivering something like Foden, which Foden did in his limited appearances for 2 seasons, then we can maybe have a Curtis Jones thread that will be worth having

ianlfc
7th February 2021, 08:23 PM
Foden has had 60 premier league games over 4 seasons. Curtis has had 22 over 2 seasons.

eggy81
7th February 2021, 08:30 PM
Let's maybe not overhype him and when he starts actually delivering something like Foden, which Foden did in his limited appearances for 2 seasons, then we can maybe have a Curtis Jones thread that will be worth having

So we can’t have a thread for a first team player unless he’s as good as maybe the best young player in the world. Rightio

miller0863
7th February 2021, 08:32 PM
What we say on here has no bearing on anything. No problem in saying he’s coming along very nicely. His end product will improve as he feels more at home in the starting 11. He has the ability, no doubt.

Kev0909
7th February 2021, 08:34 PM
He's better than milner now anyway

skyebo
7th February 2021, 08:37 PM
I thought he played well today, was surprised when he came off.

jr81
7th February 2021, 08:38 PM

But he was one of the better midfielders today. Taking him off was strange.

Nineteenx
7th February 2021, 09:23 PM
But he was one of the better midfielders today. Taking him off was strange.

Strange sums up a great many of Jurgen's decisions this season, taking him off to bring Kabak on and move Hendo to CM for greater ability in our press and counter press and in being direct would have been the change most of us had expected, taking him off for Milner when he'd be otherwise having one of his best games for us so far was incredibly odd, as was switching to a 442 in the first game against then and moving Mane who is one of the leagues best forwards to LM and pushing Jota who started at RM up top when he has considerably greater experience of playing at LM than Mane as he frequently spent most of his games for Wolves in that area because they played on the counter, which would seem absolutely perfect for the formation change he made in that game v City

jr81
8th February 2021, 12:57 AM
Strange sums up a great many of Jurgen's decisions this season, taking him off to bring Kabak on and move Hendo to CM for greater ability in our press and counter press and in being direct would have been the change most of us had expected, taking him off for Milner when he'd be otherwise having one of his best games for us so far was incredibly odd, as was switching to a 442 in the first game against then and moving Mane who is one of the leagues best forwards to LM and pushing Jota who started at RM up top when he has considerably greater experience of playing at LM than Mane as he frequently spent most of his games for Wolves in that area because they played on the counter, which would seem absolutely perfect for the formation change he made in that game v City

Agreed, many strange decisions this year.
Hopefully things settle down a little now and we get the cb playing and the midfielders back into midfield.

Hoping he doesn't change too much from the tried and tested for the Leicester game.

Nineteenx
8th February 2021, 06:57 AM
Agreed, many strange decisions this year.
Hopefully things settle down a little now and we get the cb playing and the midfielders back into midfield.

Hoping he doesn't change too much from the tried and tested for the Leicester game.

Press Leicester's midfield so none of them get on the ball and they can't get out of their own half you mean?

jr81
8th February 2021, 02:26 PM
Press Leicester's midfield so none of them get on the ball and they can't get out of their own half you mean?

Pretty much. We have really gone away from that. I'm thinking our style ahs slowed due to the number of games we had this year. Is klopp trying to compensate for that (on top of injuries). We have been so slow this year in moving the ball.

jozza800
8th February 2021, 05:10 PM
Pretty much. We have really gone away from that. I'm thinking our style ahs slowed due to the number of games we had this year. Is klopp trying to compensate for that (on top of injuries). We have been so slow this year in moving the ball.

I did think it was tactical for the first part of the season. There was a stat showing that we (and a lot of other clubs tbf) have pressed a lot less this season.

I thought with the lack of pre season and the truncated season, that Klopp was trying to save legs for the latter half of the season.

But it just hasn't happened at all. I thought we'd go out and smother City last night, be right on top of them from the first whistle but we were as passive as we have been all season and this was pretty much last chance saloon situation.

jr81
8th February 2021, 10:27 PM
I did think it was tactical for the first part of the season. There was a stat showing that we (and a lot of other clubs tbf) have pressed a lot less this season.

I thought with the lack of pre season and the truncated season, that Klopp was trying to save legs for the latter half of the season.

But it just hasn't happened at all. I thought we'd go out and smother City last night, be right on top of them from the first whistle but we were as passive as we have been all season and this was pretty much last chance saloon situation.

That was my line of thinking. Preserve energy for the 2nd half of the season. But it looks like the lads are physically tired.

That's why I found it strange taking off Jones. He was showing plenty of energy and drive.