PDA

View Full Version : The Midfield

Kev0909
13th December 2020, 09:24 PM
What's going on? many games this season they've not had a grip of the game at all, especially lately

are we missing fabinho in there? tactics? or what?

It's causing problems, firmino has to keep coming very deep just to get hold of the ball / some control of the game (or try) instead of linking up more up the pitch

We're got at more, because we don't have the control, which is a big concern with VVD being out and bit of a injury crisis.

So this effects the attack, and chances for mane/salah and firmino linking up with them, and leaking more goals due to be going got at more

we've not been "on it" for a while now, somehow we're still joint-top which is brilliant

but it needs sorting and fast, otherwise we won't be around top for long and forget the champions league

Insidious
13th December 2020, 09:30 PM
chances for mane/salah and firmino linking up with them, and leaking more goals due to be going got at more

we've not been "on it" for a while now, somehow we're still joint-top which is brilliant

but it needs sorting and fast, otherwise we won't be around top for long and forget the champions league

We are indeed still joint-top. Nobody looks like they're getting 86+ points right now, so although consistency is very desirable, it's arguably needed less this season than most, as rivals are suffering too.

Mid-February is a long time from now in Footballing terms, whether it's players coming back from injury, players who are fit now being injured by then, tactical tweaks to compensate for flaws in the system and/or injuries.

For all we know we'll have Thiago, Hendo, Milner and Wijnaldum all available for the February-to-May spell, or we could be down to bare bones. Wait and see on the European front.

RedNoodle
13th December 2020, 09:41 PM
We need someone in midfield who can keep hold of the ball and dictate play (hopefully Thiago), at least one player who can regularly offer some goal threat and creativity in order to reduce the reliance on our forwards, an out and our quality DM (all things I've been banging on about for ages), and hopefully none of those players would go missing away from Anfield on a regular basis.

Nineteenx
13th December 2020, 09:46 PM
It's a lot of things

Bobby has always dropped deep, that's not new, it actually helps

I think what we've been missing most and the biggest negative impact on how our midfield works is Virgil's injury, having to play deeper, injuries to other CBs meaning rather than having both full backs pushed high, we've had to revert to a one stays and one goes philosophy, whereas last season and the one before both were almost always high and that was 2 more pressers in midfield and 2 more options in attack and to win second balls and to link midfield with attack.

We are being outnumbered a lot of the time now, when the last 2 seasons we had 5 or 6 bodies in the midfield area doing all these things, in a lot of this season's games we only have the 3 in there and for long periods in every game both full backs are back making sporadic runs forward on a one stays one goes basis

ianlfc
13th December 2020, 09:55 PM
Henderson, Gini, Fabinho, Jones, Milner, Kieta and Tiago (am I missing anyone )? Have all played in our midfield 3 this season in the 12 games so far in the league.
Thats mad,is it any wonder we can't show any consistency.

LEGS
13th December 2020, 10:25 PM
Minamino did too at Brighton and didnt Shaq play CM when he came on ?

ianlfc
13th December 2020, 10:30 PM
Spurs have had Sissiko 10 ,Ndombele 11 and Holberg 12 games.

ianlfc
13th December 2020, 10:32 PM
Lo Celso 9 appearances

teesred
13th December 2020, 11:02 PM
Its no surprise that since Fab went to CB the midfield hasnt been as good. Hes a big part of our success in the last 2 years.
We havent seen Thiago play more than a game and a half yet we are counting on him coming back. Ox is never fit and will most likely be out as quick as he comes back.
Keita, he can simply fuck off. I had it with him over a year ago. Hes a waste of space and money and needs to be moved on asap.

Jones has been a big plus but to me he seems to step things up in the second half, seems that he plays things a little safe in the first half. Hes improving all the time though and will get better.
Hendo is the lynchpin. We cant do without him at all really. Wijnaldum plays well the majority of the time.
We have played well against the good and decent teams. It's the dross at the bottom where we are coming unstuck and that to me is a mindset issue. Today was yet another of those days, especially in the first half.

Agree with 19 when he says we are being overrun and outnumbered at times.

LEGS
13th December 2020, 11:04 PM
Well today not a great result but better than I thought it was going to be Ian.

Wednesday is a different game I like most expect Spurs to sit deep and hit on the counter.

Spurs would take a draw for sure lets see I expect a response from todays performance.

Insidious
13th December 2020, 11:22 PM
Just to add (getting midfield options back) we have the Spurs match on the Wednesday, then Palace early on the Saturday, by which time plenty of our lads will be zapped, BUT our next League game (after Palace) will be on the FOLLOWING Sunday, so that will hopefully give some players a much-needed bit of rest/recovery.

Kev0909
14th December 2020, 12:24 AM
Just to add (getting midfield options back) we have the Spurs match on the Wednesday, then Palace early on the Saturday, by which time plenty of our lads will be zapped, BUT our next League game (after Palace) will be on the FOLLOWING Sunday, so that will hopefully give some players a much-needed bit of rest/recovery.

I hope so, and on firmino always coming from the front, I agree but he's getting deeper and deeper- and the problem is he's lost the ball alot in that area which is making getting grip of the game harder and he's not there upfront when we need him to be.

Everyone goes on about the CB issues, but there's other problems too

I do wonder if we'll ever get a chance to see klopps strongest 11 this season (minus VVD unless he's back sooner )

redebreck
14th December 2020, 03:25 PM
Well today not a great result but better than I thought it was going to be Ian.

Wednesday is a different game I like most expect Spurs to sit deep and hit on the counter.

Spurs would take a draw for sure lets see I expect a response from todays performance.

Mourinho side playing counter-attacking? Surely not!

Nineteenx
14th December 2020, 05:36 PM
I think the answer to a lot of our issues is to take a step back, because of injuries and fatigue we simply cannot play what our game evolved to last season and too many things appear to be going slightly a wry as a result.

I think we are being outnumbered in midfield because we have less bodies in there, as I have stated numerous times, for me what was the DM role evolved last season to a CM role with all 3 mids rotating through the positions at its very best, we can't play that with the defenders we have out, Jones while he has been very good otherwise has been woeful in the press for me, so that aspect needs looking at in the overall scheme of trying to get as much of what worked brilliantly for the last 2 seasons doing so again.

I think the best course of action, particularly with more teams really trying to have a go rather than sitting very deep in numbers like last season is to simply revert to what evolved to a CM role now reverting to an oldschool out and out orthodox sitting DM role.

Rather than being outnumbered in midfield by being more defensive and leaving one or both full backs back, I think we'd fair a lot better keeping both full backs high so everything going forward works and with the DM essentially being that third defender, to get across to players or drop in when either CB goes across to a player.

There is also greater emphasis on RCM LCM and both full backs to be defensively aware in the midfield area and stay with players who might be open for an easy transition as in if RCM is high RB picks up the player looking for the transition that side if RB is high RCM picks up that player

Alisson

Matip______Fabinho
Henderson
Jones_______Wijnaldum
Trent_____________Robertson
Firmino
Salah_______________Mane

That works better for me, we have the balance and greater attacking threat and numbers in midfield with both full backs high, which should help Mane, Mo and Bobby, they can all go and press a lot higher as normal and create and win second balls and Hendo can distribute from a little deeper with the switches, balls over the top and long diagonals and with that shape the forwards and full backs will be better supported for those balls to be played and we'll be better placed to win second balls.

Kev0909
15th December 2020, 01:16 PM
Because I don't want to make another topic

Do you all think we do good enough from set-pieces?

Balinkay
15th December 2020, 01:18 PM
Think we were the best team at them offensively last year iirc. Now without VVD we're a lot less scary, but I'd expect we're about average.

skyebo
15th December 2020, 01:20 PM

I don't mind how we score, set pieces or open play. We won't get much help from the midfield, no matter who plays there.

Kev0909
15th December 2020, 01:22 PM
Think we were the best team at them offensively last year iirc. Now without VVD we're a lot less scary, but I'd expect we're about average.

Corners are ok I think, free kicks are left to be desired

justincredible

Well, the IX is coming back. He's another option to Trent and Fabinho I suppose.

Kev0909
I don't mind how we score, set pieces or open play.

Yes but being good at both, obviously = better results

ianlfc
15th December 2020, 02:34 PM

You can practice all you like but if don't know who's going to be playing to either take the free kick ,corners or who's going to be attacking the corner.It’s a bit of a lottery.

skyebo
15th December 2020, 03:30 PM

Talking of set pieces, Trent is due a screamer from one, not happened for a while.

Kev0909
15th December 2020, 03:42 PM
Talking of set pieces, Trent is due a screamer from one, not happened for a while.

Indeed, I don't think we've been great on the whole at em

Can't be bothered to look up stats but i'm sure we use to be better at em

justincredible
15th December 2020, 06:39 PM
Well, the IX is coming back. He's another option to Trent and Fabinho I suppose.

The Ox even...

dicko1969
15th December 2020, 07:07 PM

Trent still off the pace
Defending
Passing
Shooting
Fitness the key.

This is a prime example of no preseason preparation.
And trying to play catch up with that.
The consequences, other injuries.

CCTV
15th December 2020, 07:24 PM
The Ox even...

It's that time of year............

CCTV
15th December 2020, 07:25 PM
For the forum awards :) 🥳 🥳

CCTV
15th December 2020, 07:26 PM
I've 20 grand on Taksin for the Covid coverage award !!

Steveo
15th December 2020, 07:39 PM
Trent still off the pace
Defending
Passing
Shooting
Fitness the key.

This is a prime example of no preseason preparation.
And trying to play catch up with that.
The consequences, other injuries.

Very true. And yet International football still went ahead. Madness

Nineteenx
15th December 2020, 08:47 PM
I don't mind how we score, set pieces or open play. We won't get much help from the midfield, no matter who plays there.

There's never been much in the way of goals from our midfield as it has long been set up to provide the platform for both full backs to play higher, one of the reasons i've continually banged on about Robbo and Trent having to weight in with a few, more Robbo, the last 2 seasons he'd had numerous very good chances between RB and RCB, he needs to start drilling a few in

Too often he's tried to find a player through an impossible gap, when the most likely route to scoring is for him to drill it low and hard across their keeper into the bottom corner,, he scores or any save from the keeper is more likely to result in one of our forwards he can't otherwise find smashing home the rebound

Spurs would be a great starting point, Lloris has a considerable obvious weakness at saving low shots driven across him

dicko1969
15th December 2020, 08:52 PM
Goals last season

Salah 23
Mane 22
Firmino 12

Ox 8
Gini 6
Hendo 4
Keita 4
Milner 2

VVD 5

dicko1969
15th December 2020, 08:56 PM
63 goals from front 4 (origi)

117 goals in total

So 53% goals from front "4"

Kev0909
15th December 2020, 09:26 PM
Forgot ox scored that many, I hope he comes back and stays sharp, even off the bench could make a difference...

Noone else scores really from the midfield, Wij sometimes, fab with screamers sometimes but obviously he's CB most of this season I guess.

Henderson is terrible at scoring but he's never been great at that.

I was hoping keita would be the guy to do it, and be a improved more fit version of Ox, oh how wrong was I

miller0863
15th December 2020, 09:36 PM
Hahahaha that last sentence Kev ....

Kev0909
15th December 2020, 09:37 PM
Hahahaha that last sentence Kev ....

Where did that "I was wrong" thread go, hahaa

Nineteenx
16th December 2020, 11:45 PM
Superb tonight, huge credit to Jurgen and the coaching staff, they definitely tweaked how we had been operating adjusted the full back and Bobby's positions so we were back to have 5 or 6 in the midfield area most of the time, it made an absolutely huge difference

TheDOC1979
21st December 2020, 10:55 AM
Renato Sanchez has apparently been identified as a replacement for Wijnaldum. According to some Italian newspaper a few around 18m has been agreed with Lille.

Probably a load of shite, but I’ve heard/seen good things about him and only 23

miller0863
21st December 2020, 11:24 AM
That would really be a surprise, he wasn’t just poor when he played in the Prem, young or not he was terrible. Looked way out of his depth.

eggy81
21st December 2020, 12:34 PM
Renato Sanchez has apparently been identified as a replacement for Wijnaldum. According to some Italian newspaper a few around 18m has been agreed with Lille.

Probably a load of shite, but I’ve heard/seen good things about him and only 23
Looked a world beater at 19 but was terrible in England before.

Balinkay
21st December 2020, 01:56 PM
That would really be a surprise, he wasn’t just poor when he played in the Prem, young or not he was terrible. Looked way out of his depth.

He looked high - I've rarely seen a player that bad.

However, he must have done something right at some point - used to be Golden Boy and Bayern spunked a bunch of cash on him. There must be a player in there.

skyebo
21st December 2020, 02:45 PM
Sanchez has played 27 times for Lille and scored 4 goals since signing in 2019.

justme
21st December 2020, 02:52 PM
"replacement for Wijnaldum" that sentence is nonsense in my book (not from doc) i mean in the sense of him actually leaving. Mind boggles.

vin
21st December 2020, 03:10 PM
The Sanchez deal seems to be gathering pace on social media

justincredible
21st December 2020, 04:07 PM
The Sanchez deal seems to be gathering pace on social media

I saw it twice last week on different websites. Can't remember which ones though.
I'd rather we kept Gini but the powers that be might have other ideas.

TheDOC1979
22nd December 2020, 01:52 PM
"replacement for Wijnaldum" that sentence is nonsense in my book (not from doc) i mean in the sense of him actually leaving. Mind boggles.

Doesn’t look like Wijnaldum is going to sign any time soon. Not sure what it is really. He likes Klopp, the club and his team mates, so the lure of koeman isn’t that strong in my opinion.

Money? How much does he want ?

Kev0909
22nd December 2020, 02:24 PM
Doesn’t look like Wijnaldum is going to sign any time soon. Not sure what it is really. He likes Klopp, the club and his team mates, so the lure of koeman isn’t that strong in my opinion.

Maybe he just wants a change, and sunny spain

Balinkay
22nd December 2020, 02:37 PM

That's my guess. Money probably also plays its role (he likely wants the same money as VVD and Salah or a touch less but he's not getting that at 30, especially on a four year deal) but I'm guessing it's not a crucial one.

TheDOC1979
22nd December 2020, 02:38 PM

Should come out and say it Kev. A lot of players over the years have suggested they want a change in scenery or a new challenge. No harm saying so.

stevie harkness
22nd December 2020, 02:39 PM

Not much point in holding talks then.

Balinkay
22nd December 2020, 02:48 PM
Not much point in holding talks then.

Pffft, if we offered him enough money, he'd sign quicker than... than... something really quick.

vin
22nd December 2020, 02:54 PM

I've read that it's contract length rather than the money.

justme
22nd December 2020, 04:04 PM

Yep, i think its likely money.. The club won't give into his demands. He'll get a huge wage when he goes for free. So its a win a win for him and his agent.

skyebo
22nd December 2020, 04:59 PM
I find it incredible that players could be motivated by money, especially the top players. It's different for players in the lower leagues as some must be struggling to keep a roof over their heads.

miller0863
22nd December 2020, 06:29 PM
It’s definitely length of contract not the weekly wage.

jr81
22nd December 2020, 06:37 PM
It’s definitely length of contract not the weekly wage.
But could that be related to money?
Say he wants 100k on 4 years vs 3 years.
He has a 4th year at 100k?
If club offered him 4 years but at the end of the 4 years he ended up with the same cash as after 3 years, I don't think he would accept it? So the length may be the issue but at the end of day I think he is looking at the total financial package

Kev0909
22nd December 2020, 06:43 PM
it's kinda hard to blame him in a way when thiago is on like 200k a week and played 1 game

ianlfc
27th December 2020, 08:09 PM
All 3 tonight could've came off, you can see what the Ox can bring to the team in the time he was on, he's very direct.

Kev0909
27th December 2020, 08:17 PM
Why gerrard will always be a better captain

Takes games by the scruff of the neck and sorted it himself many of times.

Henderson can't do that- what was that tonight?

And some people want to compare him to gerrard/ make out he's better

please

BUT but but "he's won more" Ofc he has, things was a lot different other teams was a lot better too imo, and we had fucking shite players mostly

reddownunder
27th December 2020, 11:14 PM
Keita should be sold. He won't be missed because he is never fit to play anyway

Steveo
27th December 2020, 11:21 PM
Keita should be sold. He won't be missed because he is never fit to play anyway

But what crazy club will pay good money for a player who is never fit.?

To date a disaster signing in summer 2017... for an arrival date of summer 2018... only to still have barely featured at all - as we enter 2021..!

boom-klopp
27th December 2020, 11:27 PM
klopp likes a small squad with players who can play multiple positions in some cases.

as good as guys like keita and ox can be, constanf injuries are no good to us.

keita was needed today to break the bus yet he is out injured again.

total let down after all that excitement of him signing.

i’m gutted we won’t be able to see the triumvirate of fab, hendo and thiago this season unless we sign two centre backs in jan.

if the derby was anything to go by, that 3 in the middle will be a sight to behold. simply awesome.

curtis still plays like an u23 player ; holding on to the ball too long. if he doesn’t improve on that soon where it’s one touch maybe two and bang, forward pass, he won’t last long here.

Balinkay
27th December 2020, 11:52 PM
That holding on to the ball for a touch too long irks me about him too, bk, but Lallana was the same way. And when on song he was excellent (before injuries killed him).

RedNoodle
27th December 2020, 11:58 PM
That holding on to the ball for a touch too long irks me about him too, bk, but Lallana was the same way. And when on song he was excellent (before injuries killed him).

Our midfield is still too 'functional' at times. We need to have more options who can offer us some goals, creativity, control and the ability to set the tempo of the game.

Hopefully Thiago (if he's ever fit) will give us some of that, asking for/expecting all of that from just him is asking a bit too much. We need more/better options, and as with our defence, we cannot rely on our youth set up to provide it all. We/FSG need to open up the chequebook and get in some fit, quality, proven options.

Nineteenx
28th December 2020, 08:47 AM
Our full backs get to play a lot hight more of the time than any other side instead and neither did enough with that today, i really don't know what's going on with Trent he's been poor for some time for me, seems to have somehow relaxed and less determined and taking far less care and focus with his delivery, even simple rudimentary passes v WBA, all game, hitting them just behind players or too far in front, i expect far better

skyebo
28th December 2020, 12:17 PM
But what crazy club will pay good money for a player who is never fit.?

To date a disaster signing in summer 2017... for an arrival date of summer 2018... only to still have barely featured at all - as we enter 2021..!

No-one will, we'll have to cut our losses. The wages we are paying him Matip, OX Gomez Shaqiri could be spent on players who would actually contribute to the team, and not the treatment table.

dicko1969
28th December 2020, 06:20 PM
Our full backs get to play a lot hight more of the time than any other side instead and neither did enough with that today, i really don't know what's going on with Trent he's been poor for some time for me, seems to have somehow relaxed and less determined and taking far less care and focus with his delivery, even simple rudimentary passes v WBA, all game, hitting them just behind players or too far in front, i expect far better

Yes he has been off his usual extremely high level game this season

Maybe a lack of preseason preparation.
The 2 injuries haven't helped.

Kev0909
30th December 2020, 10:52 PM
Trash

Worst performance in midfield i've seen

ianlfc
30th December 2020, 11:14 PM
A repeat of the West Brom game, All 3 were awful.

reddownunder
30th December 2020, 11:18 PM
Steve Bruce was always going to set up his team the same as Allardyce did therefore the midfield should have been set up differently to the West Brom game. Ox should have started over Milner or Jones and Thiago should have been given half an hour

miller0863
30th December 2020, 11:33 PM
Thiago was awesome

Balinkay
30th December 2020, 11:34 PM
I doubt Thiago was deemed fit enough for half an hour, rdu.

Think Milner played very well today, not sure I'd have liked to see Oxo instead of him. Jones was poor so maybe it would have made more sense to drop him.

miller0863
30th December 2020, 11:37 PM
Milner was the best of the three. I’d start Milner, Wijnaldum and Thiago at Southampton

Kev0909
30th December 2020, 11:39 PM
I doubt Thiago was deemed fit enough for half an hour, rdu.

Think Milner played very well today, not sure I'd have liked to see Oxo instead of him. Jones was poor so maybe it would have made more sense to drop him.

I don't want milner and henderson in the same team

Honestly, it's not good enough going forward.

Maybe if we're in europe and holding on to a 2-0 away win or something

Balinkay
30th December 2020, 11:44 PM
For the past few games Hendo's been the main creator from the half space with his whipped balls into the box. It's mighty fine weapon to have in our arsenal, but it's not enough on its own.

I tend to agree - we shouldn't need both of them (unless Hendo is playing very deep). Think them two + a dynamic midfielder like Jones could work but he's still too raw. Oxo might be the answer but he was dreadful against WBA so it'll take time for him to get up to speed.

dicko1969
31st December 2020, 02:00 AM
We wont walk the league this season.

But we definitely will be in with a title challenge.

Steveo
31st December 2020, 02:06 AM

100% just not enough quality on the ball. Graft yes but 2 England level midfielders the fulcrum of a so called world champion... No chance..

We have needed our Captain many times in the recent past but when I saw Milner and Hendo tonight - I knew we wouldn’t score. Yes we had chances - oh so many - and the front 3 were miles off it... but I just knew it - sorry.

You need better and more confident ball control across the middle - see Thiago’s 17 minutes. Milner was good but that is his game.. Hendo looked poor tonight

RedNoodle
31st December 2020, 02:07 AM
Not enough creativity, pace, control, or goals in our midfield. It's good that Thiago is back, but he alone cannot provide all of that, never mind that we really shouldn't be asking/expecting him to do a large chunk of those things right away.

RedNoodle
31st December 2020, 02:10 AM

We still have too many 'functional' midfielders. As soon as we play two or more of them in the same team, we lose a lot of the attacking part of our game. As you say, in certain games (especially away in Europe) that is fine, but when it comes to comes to games we should be winning, and/or games where the onus is on us to attack, we need more players in midfield who can offer a fair bit more going forward than our 'functional' midfielders can.

boom-klopp
31st December 2020, 02:54 AM
going into next season we have

thiago who misses games through injury.
hendo who misses games and is getting on.
fab who may be used in defence as well if tight bastards fsg have their way.

the rest

keita can f..k off
ox can f..k off
jones who just doesn’t have it sadly. i see no redeeming factor i can say hmm we can work with that. what does he actually do??
milner who will be gone
gini who will be gone

that leaves us very light. if we don’t get two top quality cm’s in summer, we can forget the league and or cl.

Nineteenx
31st December 2020, 06:48 AM

Starting an off the pace Milner just back from injury and Jones who was a disaster v WBA last time out was as shit an idea as starting the midfield that played v Villa that had never played well together since mid 18/19 when what was 'good' from our midfield was a long way short of what was good last season

Insidious
31st December 2020, 09:02 AM
the rest

keita can f..k off
ox can f..k off
jones who just doesn’t have it sadly. i see no redeeming factor i can say hmm we can work with that. what does he actually do??
milner who will be gone
gini who will be gone

I think Jones is there to create really. Can see him producing through balls, one-twos and shots from range over time - something between a "Gerrard-lite" or "Coutinho-lite" if you will, though he has probably had to play more Football than we would have wanted this season to do with injuries and thus the flaws in his game have been exposed a little bit of late.

Milner is contracted until the Summer of 2022 I believe. So we have him for the remainder of this season and we have him for next season too, unless I'm mistaken or he goes to Leeds in the Summer. Which buys us a little bit more time for player acquisition / developing Jones.

Kev0909
9th January 2021, 12:31 AM
Sooooo what's going on?

Thiago is the only midfielder doing anything

Time to play 6-1-3

?

Or maybe 4-1-5?

Balinkay
9th January 2021, 08:47 AM
He's not though.

For some reason in the last few games Hendo's been asked to whip balls in from the half space like there's no tomorrow... which I don't like. He's basically become the primary crosser from the right instead of TAA.

Wij is... Wij. He's been getting in advanced positions more of late but the goals haven't come. He should have won a peno against the Saints and he scored today.

Let's see how we set up against United.

ianlfc
28th January 2021, 11:43 PM
The 3 tonight had good balance about them. Jimmy Milner will sleep tonight !!

CCTV
28th January 2021, 11:53 PM

Does the Iron Man Milner have a half marathon or marathon on later ? :D

Love the man, even more when Hendos not in the midfield.

Insidious
28th January 2021, 11:59 PM

Wijnaldum was deeper than Thiago on plenty of occasions which made me pretty happy.

I know there's a fair bit of fluidity with our Midfield and thus viewing them as rigidly as a 6 and two 8s simplifies it a touch, but I definitely want to see Thiago getting more 8-esque work in than screening the back four.

Was lovely to see the cohesion tonight. Spurs admittedly permitted us a fair bit of room but that was a good set-up.

miller0863
29th January 2021, 12:00 AM
Thought Wij was energetic and kept the ball pretty well tonight, played well.

teesred
29th January 2021, 12:05 AM
Personally I thought Wijnaldum was anonymous first half, busy in the second.

Insidious
29th January 2021, 12:16 AM
Milner was everywhere. Was great.

He can't play like that all the time of course, but he was on it tonight.

RedNoodle
29th January 2021, 12:19 AM
They looked ok against a p.poor Spurs. Against a good, proactive, or defensively solid team, we need more than what our midfield(ers) often offer,

teesred
29th January 2021, 12:38 AM
They looked ok against a p.poor Spurs. Against a good, proactive, or defensively solid team, we need more than what our midfield(ers) often offer,

Agree. We played well tonight but were not playing against a side content with frustrating us and limiting space in their own half.
We can play well and win against teams like Spurs. Its the other rubbish from the last month where we have come unstuck.
We are all obviously pleased after tonight but let's wait and see if its a one off first and how the CB situation pans out.

jozza800
29th January 2021, 09:46 AM
Agree. We played well tonight but were not playing against a side content with frustrating us and limiting space in their own half.
We can play well and win against teams like Spurs. Its the other rubbish from the last month where we have come unstuck.
We are all obviously pleased after tonight but let's wait and see if its a one off first and how the CB situation pans out.

Did you not see last nights game! 5 at the back and two holding midfielders and every man behind the ball. It was the very epitomy of a Mourinho side.

TheDOC1979
29th January 2021, 09:58 AM
Wijnaldum bashing post ... he had 1 minute of holding the ball Against Spurs and did nothing for 89 minutes to lie stoppage time.

Had one good run against Burnley passing to salah and did nothing the rest of the game. I’m really finding it difficult to see what he provides our midfield. We need better!!

Steveo
29th January 2021, 10:15 AM
It’s all opinions at the end of the day and he hasn’t been close to his best form of late - but for me he is vital to this team.

We do need to evolve however and perhaps Klopp has accepted he is going - I will lament his departure nonetheless

teesred
29th January 2021, 10:40 AM
Did you not see last nights game! 5 at the back and two holding midfielders and every man behind the ball. It was the very epitomy of a Mourinho side.

At times yes there was but it was nowhere near as congested as the last few games. It was quite an open attacking game for a lot of it which suited us.

ianlfc
29th January 2021, 11:22 AM

I think you need to watch the match again, mate. Spurs defended in numbers all night hoping to hit us on the break. Our midfield got around them quickly and were always looking for the front 3, Something that's been lacking since the New year.
Personally I thought we were great and could definitely go up a gear at any time, the Liverpool of old if you like.

CCTV
29th January 2021, 12:31 PM
I think you need to watch the match again, mate. Spurs defended in numbers all night hoping to hit us on the break. Our midfield got around them quickly and were always looking for the front 3, Something that's been lacking since the New year.
Personally I thought we were great and could definitely go up a gear at any time, the Liverpool of old if you like.

The team matched the most optimistic prediction made in that thread. Nobody expected better than a 3-1 away win.
Agree it was a good performance with us creating many chances. Especially after our recent run of performances

Balinkay
29th January 2021, 12:35 PM
Tbf it was only distinguished people of culture and great footballing knowledge who expected this sort of result CC.

CCTV
29th January 2021, 02:19 PM
Tbf it was only distinguished people of culture and great footballing knowledge who expected this sort of result CC.

Cultured cnuts seems a bit of a stretch, at most 50% true. The forner lad perhaps, seems a bit posh and etiquetteded :)

HLOGI
29th January 2021, 04:37 PM
Interesting that the football world and media are lauding Gini for a top performance as a holding midfield, yet apparently he went missing and did nothing for 95 minutes. Lol.

TheDOC1979
29th January 2021, 05:01 PM
Some have the own opinions. No LOL about it. In my opinion he does nothing for long periods of the game and one moment of dashing through their midfield doesn’t make him worthy of a starting 11 in my books.

Good riddance if we can buy someone that will actually complement the midfield

eggy81
29th January 2021, 05:19 PM
Some have the own opinions. No LOL about it. In my opinion he does nothing for long periods of the game and one moment of dashing through their midfield doesn’t make him worthy of a starting 11 in my books.

Good riddance if we can buy someone that will actually complement the midfield

He’s not there to dash through a defence. None of our midfield do that. Not their jobs.

TheDOC1979
29th January 2021, 05:28 PM
He’s not there to dash through a defence. None of our midfield do that. Not their jobs.

Holding the ball for a minute every game and being absent for the rest isn’t his job either. He doesn’t do enough for me.

Milner was more effective than Wijnaldum yesterday and to be fair has got stuck in every time.

Nineteenx
29th January 2021, 05:39 PM
Still not got to play our first choice Thiago Hendo Gini midfield in a single frickin game, Gini was superb last night, too many people don't appreciate what an incredible job he does and how important it is to everything else working at its best

TheDOC1979
29th January 2021, 05:43 PM
Still not got to play our first choice Thiago Hendo Gini midfield in a single frickin game, Gini was superb last night, too many people don't appreciate what an incredible job he does and how important it is to everything else working at its best

Never a great midfield. Thiago , Fabinho, Henderson.
Get it out of your head that Fabinho will become a partner for VVD. He is best suited as a CDM and protects the defence well

eggy81
29th January 2021, 05:45 PM
Holding the ball for a minute every game and being absent for the rest isn’t his job either. He doesn’t do enough for me.

Milner was more effective than Wijnaldum yesterday and to be fair has got stuck in every time.
I’m not saying I dont wish we had at least 1 more creative type. I feel most of what gini does in a lot of games is filling gaps, pressing at the right time and when in possession moving the ball to the wings or collecting from Bobby and distribution to robbo on the run. It’s not spectacular looking but he doesn’t have the penetration of Henderson with his passing and Milner more of a balls out type player. Gini comes into his own against high quality teams that try to press us. When he’s on it you can’t disposess him. He’s very skilful in little circles.
He’s not a great long passer or doesn’t have a brilliant shot which if he had either would I think absolve him of a lot of criticism he gets.

TheDOC1979
29th January 2021, 05:50 PM
I’m not saying I dont wish we had at least 1 more creative type. I feel most of what gini does in a lot of games is filling gaps, pressing at the right time and when in possession moving the ball to the wings or collecting from Bobby and distribution to robbo on the run. It’s not spectacular looking but he doesn’t have the penetration of Henderson with his passing and Milner more of a balls out type player. Gini comes into his own against high quality teams that try to press us. When he’s on it you can’t disposess him. He’s very skilful in little circles.
He’s not a great long passer or doesn’t have a brilliant shot which if he had either would I think absolve him of a lot of criticism he gets.

I’ll give you the last sentence Eggy. Maybe my criticism of him is harsh, but the amount of times he goes missing is just ridiculous.

Not too fussed about the passing, as he only passes it a few feet ahead of him anyway, but he loses the ball as much as he keeps a hold of it.

LEGS
29th January 2021, 06:18 PM
Gini is a very good player.

His passing stats are 91% so he doesnt give it away often but he does short passes but its a British thing to say by forcing it you lose the ball.

I mean you have dimwits like O'Hara saying Thiago slows us down and just passes the ball, what does that even mean ?

With covid/shorter season its difficult to play at a high tempo if you are a paid pundit at least do your homework.

eggy81
29th January 2021, 06:22 PM
Gini is a very good player.

His passing stats are 91% so he doesnt give it away often but he does short passes but its a British thing to say by forcing it you lose the ball.

I mean you have dimwits like O'Hara saying Thiago slows us down and just passes the ball, what does that even mean ?

With covid/shorter season its difficult to play at a high tempo if you are a paid pundit at least do your homework.
Xavi would have been slated in England in his early career. Doubt he’d have made it

teesred
29th January 2021, 07:04 PM
He was missing in action first half without doubt. Both he and Milner in particular were much better second half.
I hope he stays but its not looking likely, if he goes we need to upgrade on his quality to kick our midfield on. He has been a great servant though.

teesred
29th January 2021, 07:08 PM

You are going to be very disappointed. Theres no way Fabinho will sit out many games if he's fit.
As soon as our defence is back he goes back into midfield immediately.
Its easy to say after we won 3-1 that he was fantastic. Not one person said that half time.

skyebo
29th January 2021, 07:23 PM
Henderson is 31 in june so there's no guarantee that he will be there long either.

ianlfc
29th January 2021, 07:44 PM
We need all our midfielders fighting for a midfield place, not playing centrehalf.

skyebo
29th January 2021, 07:52 PM
We need all our midfielders fighting for a midfield place, not playing centrehalf.

He had an opportunity last night and for a couple of other games to do that, but chose to play Henderson there instead of a youngster. He had to bring one on in the 2nd half, and although i didn't see the game, we didn't collapse with him in there. Youngsters will make mistakes, but as our form of late suggests, so to do the experienced ones.

Steveo
29th January 2021, 07:55 PM

Indeed Ian.

dicko1969
30th January 2021, 04:22 AM
Henderson Thiago Gini Fabinho Oxlade Keita Jones Milner

8 players for 3 positions

Great options.

Nineteenx
30th January 2021, 06:01 AM
You are going to be very disappointed. Theres no way Fabinho will sit out many games if he's fit.
As soon as our defence is back he goes back into midfield immediately.
Its easy to say after we won 3-1 that he was fantastic. Not one person said that half time.

Well time will tell, all of our best performances this season have come with a fluid 3, when the 3 is rigid it's far easier for park the bus sides to get settled defending a certain way, because of the rigid midfield, it's also far easier for them to set up to counter us off a rigid midfield

For his many other qualities Fab is a DM not a CM and he can't play in a fluid 3

Watching our games with a rigid 3 and a fluid 3 this season has been like watching the first leg v Atletico in which we created nothing and the second leg when we created lots and the wheels came off second leg when we had to make subs that reverted us to a rigid 3

Nineteenx
30th January 2021, 06:13 AM
It's really very simple, the fluid three's movement and players with different skill sets arriving in all sorts of different positions creates the stimulus and variety of movement and opportunities for our forwards and full backs, who in turn then offer greater variety of movement which creates all kinds of opportunities to create and score and prevents ptb sides get settled defending the same threats from the same players in the same areas

If you play a rigid 3 it makes our full backs and forwards more rigid

It's obvious, it's not rocket science

Steveo
30th January 2021, 09:46 AM
Aah right - I get it now too.

QUICK...can someone get a message through to Klopp? :D

ianlfc
30th January 2021, 10:13 AM
Well time will tell, all of our best performances this season have come with a fluid 3, when the 3 is rigid it's far easier for park the bus sides to get settled defending a certain way, because of the rigid midfield, it's also far easier for them to set up to counter us off a rigid midfield

For his many other qualities Fab is a DM not a CM and he can't play in a fluid 3

Watching our games with a rigid 3 and a fluid 3 this season has been like watching the first leg v Atletico in which we created nothing and the second leg when we created lots and the wheels came off second leg when we had to make subs that reverted us to a rigid 3

For someone who loved Lucas it's baffles me why you seem to have such a dislike for the fabulous one. Fab is twice the player Lucas ever was .