PDA

View Full Version : Will we win the league, where will we finish ?

CCTV
4th January 2021, 11:46 PM
A simple poll, with many options due to popular demand (2 people)

RedNoodle
4th January 2021, 11:46 PM
Like I said, you need to add a before/after any possible transfers option/caveat.

CCTV
4th January 2021, 11:49 PM
Like I said, you need to add a before/after any possible transfers option/caveat.

Like i said... i will, i hope those rough options without naming who we sign etc suffices :D

RedNoodle
4th January 2021, 11:54 PM
Like i said... i will, i hope those rough options without naming who we sign etc suffices :D

Not for me. I'm passing up on this poll.

skyebo
4th January 2021, 11:57 PM
We win it handily enough i have voted. Not dependant on others coming in either.

Balinkay
4th January 2021, 11:57 PM
Going for the optimistic option of winning it in a slugfest. The defence seems to not be leaking too many so we just need a bit of a spark when it comes to finishing. We'll find our shooting boots soon enough with Jota to return soon TM and Thiago getting more game time.

CCTV
4th January 2021, 11:58 PM
Not for me. I'm passing up on this poll.

Sorry bud, you'll have to sit this one out as i didnt see a reply or request after i posted the transfer options in the matchthread to you.
option 1 - adding a cb
option 2 - adding 2 players - take your pick from the 3
option 3 - adding a player in defense, midfield and attack

You can always post your thoughts in detail if you feel the poll isnt sensitive or detailed enough :)

skyebo
4th January 2021, 11:59 PM
Going for the optimistic option of winning it in a slugfest. The defence seems to not be leaking too many so we just need a bit of a spark when it comes to finishing. We'll find our shooting boots soon enough with Jota to return soon TM and Thiago getting more game time.

A positive post, i should frame it.

Kev0909
4th January 2021, 11:59 PM
Depends if we put phillips up front with all them crosses we might make top half

with firmino no chance, he may aswell play for the u18s still wouldn't score

hopefully we get more than 1 shot on target and secure the Europa league at least, thursday night football is the dream

RedNoodle
5th January 2021, 12:02 AM
Sorry bud, you'll have to sit this one out as i didnt see a reply or request after i posted the transfer options in the matchthread to you.
option 1 - adding a cb
option 2 - adding 2 players - take your pick from the 3
option 3 - adding a player in defense, midfield and attack

You can always post your thoughts in detail if you feel the poll isnt sensitive or detailed enough :)

Like I said, you needed to either add a caveat or options regarding possible transfers, and the type of transfers.

As it is it's too vague. I've had too many 'discussions' on here regarding polls and people referring back to them for me to risk having to endure those type of shenanigans again.

CCTV
5th January 2021, 12:03 AM
We win it handily enough i have voted. Not dependant on others coming in either.

I'm in with Bali, and like Skyebo not dependent on signing players which would apply to the first 3 options, if we do add soemone its a bonus. I do hope we are active in this window - most notably a centreback. TM Bali ?

Think we've hit a poor patch and its upto Klop(4231) to find answers (like he did before with 4231) and the lads to sort their own shit out individually and collectively.

Balinkay
5th January 2021, 12:03 AM
A positive post, i should frame it.

I didn't choose my signature in vain you know! ;)

As Carra has said numerous times - it's never as good as you think and it's never as bad as you think. The whole "doom and gloom" narrative will evaporate if we string two good results together. Then we'll be the best team to ever walk the earth.

The truth, as usual, is somewhere in the middle.

skyebo
5th January 2021, 12:06 AM
I didn't choose my signature in vain you know! ;)

As Carra has said numerous times - it's never as good as you think and it's never as bad as you think. The whole "doom and gloom" narrative will evaporate if we string two good results together. Then we'll be the best team to ever walk the earth.

The truth, as usual, is somewhere in the middle.

lol.

CCTV
5th January 2021, 12:07 AM
Like I said, you needed to either add a caveat or options regarding possible transfers, and the type of transfers.

As it is it's too vague. I've had too many 'discussions' on here regarding polls and people referring back to them for me to risk having to endure those type of shenanigans again.

I did, adding 1 player say a cb, 2 players or 3 with one for defense, midfiled and attack.

Ok, what options would you have posted out of interest ? Its a maximum of 18 options so im not sure it would be possible to list permutations of potential signings.
i saw your post in the matchthread, iirc you wanted a defender, a midfielder and an attacker to summarise.

justme
5th January 2021, 12:08 AM
I don't know i don't care! .

skyebo
5th January 2021, 12:08 AM
lol.

There's lots of negativity in the world, so i choose to be optimistic when it comes to LFC. My glass is half full, it's always been that way.

justme
5th January 2021, 12:12 AM
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/broken-transparent-glass-cup-two-symmetrical-parts-closeup-broken-glass-cup-109045496.jpg

My glass is neither full or empty..Its broken in half

RedNoodle
5th January 2021, 12:16 AM
I did, adding 1 player say a cb, 2 players or 3 with one for defense, midfiled and attack.

Ok, what options would you have posted out of interest ? Its a maximum of 18 options so im not sure it would be possible to list permutations of potential signings.
i saw your post in the matchthread, iirc you wanted a defender, a midfielder and an attacker to summarise.

I would need to have a think about it, but I would have possibly added fewer options, but had two lots i.e. one without any 'quality' signings, and one with something along the lines of 'a few key/quality signings'.

A lot is possibly going to depend on not only what areas we address (if any), but the quality of those we bring in.

skyebo
5th January 2021, 12:16 AM
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/broken-transparent-glass-cup-two-symmetrical-parts-closeup-broken-glass-cup-109045496.jpg

Haha

RedNoodle
5th January 2021, 12:18 AM

Be grateful you have/had a glass. I'm currently drinking from the cold tap in the bathroom, and very soon I could have to resort to the pets bar i.e. the toilet bowl.

CCTV
5th January 2021, 12:32 AM
I would need to have a think about it, but I would have possibly added fewer options, but had two lots i.e. one without any 'quality' signings, and one with something along the lines of 'a few key/quality signings'.

A lot is possibly going to depend on not only what areas we address (if any), but the quality of those we bring in.

well i had assumed that they'd be for the first team and not some kids for the future. Went for cb and 2 and the cb/mid/att for the 3. Didnt think you or others would be wary of posting further explanations .

Be grateful you have/had a glass. I'm currently drinking from the cold tap in the bathroom, and very soon I could have to resort to the pets bar i.e. the toilet bowl.

be prepared, boil ahead of time.

RedNoodle
5th January 2021, 12:40 AM
@CCTV

I'm a very cautious man.

CCTV
5th January 2021, 12:46 AM
@CCTV

I'm a very cautious man.

In ways i am too but in otherways im bold, cuntish and wreckless. I pity poor sid for example at the minute D

dicko1969
20th January 2021, 10:24 PM
Can see Man C going on a 19/19 wins

RedNoodle
20th January 2021, 10:33 PM

They will if they keep getting decisions go their way like the one they got tonight.

justme
20th January 2021, 10:42 PM
I dont care right now..id love us to show we mean business over the next 3/4 months.. But the lack of heart doesnt seem to be there

miller0863
20th January 2021, 11:46 PM
I think I agree with you...you mean there is a lack of heart or there isn’t a lack of heart?

justme
21st January 2021, 12:06 AM
There is a lack of heart. Just appears that way of late.our starts to games have been ponderous. We havent played badly. But we are missing something. I'd love us to win the next 3 league games. that's 2 hard away games.. Right now i cant see it.

LEGS
21st January 2021, 12:11 AM
There is a lack of heart. Just appears that way of late.our starts to games have been ponderous. We havent played badly. But we are missing something. I'd love us to win the next 3 league games. that's 2 hard away games.. Right now i cant see it.

I agree I dont see us winning it.

Basically if Man City win 19/20 im ok with that.

We arent winning it so if it stops them pricks i'll cash my chips now.

Its an asterisk anyway 😁

miller0863
21st January 2021, 12:14 AM
Yep, take my chips with yours Legs will ya.

CCTV
21st January 2021, 12:22 AM
4 points behind city same games played
3 points behind manu if we win our game in hand
1 points behind BR if we win our game in hand
1 point ahead of spurs - same games played
2 points ahead of Everton - they've a game in hand on us !!!

The current top 6

We need to start winning now

RedNoodle
21st January 2021, 12:22 AM
Yep, take my chips with yours Legs will ya.

Legs and chips. Tasty.

LEGS
21st January 2021, 12:25 AM
I dunno what it is id be well happy to see the season get voided now it would be beautiful !

I hate it without fans have done for ages now and I still feel we have been robbed of seeing the team win the league with fans and a parade.

Lockdown has affected everyone and maybe my negative tone has been affected a touch by it.

Insidious
21st January 2021, 12:33 AM
We havent played badly. But we are missing something.

Going to focus on this bit. Particularly bearing in mind that our hyper-successful side (and look at the points we have brought in for 3 or 4 seasons now, it IS hyper-successful, despite this malaise) is built upon a finely-tuned system.

- We have missed our first choice centre-backs, which is huge.
- We have missed what these centre-backs bring in terms of distribution and a well-timed offside trap
- We have had multiple centre-back pairings, meaning the chemistry/rhythm has taken a knock.
- We had ten players injured simultaneously.
- We have had players contract Covid, with none of us "really" knowing how much that took out of individual players.
- We have missed the raw hunger. No matter how competitive you are, it's easier to chase a title than defend one.
- We have missed the fluidity of a consistent "three" in midfield as we wean Thiago into things.
- We have missed the threat our best centre-backs pose from set pieces.
- We have missed the "rub of the green" with the referees and VAR to the point where some discuss corruption.
- We have missed the "luck" when it comes to second balls / deflections in the box that tend to lead to "nailed on" goal-scoring opportunities.
- We have missed the threat posed by an in-form Trent who has been off the boil.
- We have (recently) missed having Trent slightly further forward due to the visible caution he is showing when Henderson isn't covering due to being used at centre-back.
- We have missed Firmino being a threat of sorts when finishing, as he has been poorer than his best for a while now in that department.
- We have missed someone else "stepping up" in those rare times where Salah and Mane are both off the boil in finishing terms, which they are now.
- We have missed the Kop in full-voice dragging this team over the line in tight games (though let's be fair, all clubs will be missing fans)
- We have missed Milner's best performances as he is in the Winter of his career.
- We have missed getting opportunities on the counter-attack as teams now sit in against us to nullify that side of our game.

That is a LOT to cope with. Yet it would only take one match, ONE win to leave us just 4 points off top.

This season can go either way. I can empathise with people fearing that we will drop out of the Top Four, as it is a bloody exceptional season and seemingly anything can happen. But (incoming Sid will Sid) I look around us and think "only takes a purple patch and we're right there" - which is true!

The wheels COULD come off and if they do, we will dissect it all Summer - but surely, SURELY after everything we have witnessed with Liverpool over these last few years, we can collectively believe we're capable of solving this creative/attacking conundrum and squeezing out some results, then building from there?

CCTV
21st January 2021, 12:33 AM
I dunno what it is id be well happy to see the season get voided now it would be beautiful !

I hate it without fans have done for ages now and I still feel we have been robbed of seeing the team win the league with fans and a parade.

Lockdown has affected everyone and maybe my negative tone has been affected a touch by it.

Agree, it's a different game and a far worse one. It's lost the spectacle as a TV viewing experience and it alters the dynamics of the game, a big missing variable for the computer nerds. Imaginary Disco !!

miller0863
21st January 2021, 12:49 AM
Injuries and VAR have levelled the playing field this year.

CCTV
21st January 2021, 03:06 AM
Going to focus on this bit. Particularly bearing in mind that our hyper-successful side (and look at the points we have brought in for 3 or 4 seasons now, it IS hyper-successful, despite this malaise) is built upon a finely-tuned system.

- We have missed our first choice centre-backs, which is huge.
- We have missed what these centre-backs bring in terms of distribution and a well-timed offside trap
- We have had multiple centre-back pairings, meaning the chemistry/rhythm has taken a knock.
- We had ten players injured simultaneously.
- We have had players contract Covid, with none of us "really" knowing how much that took out of individual players.
- We have missed the raw hunger. No matter how competitive you are, it's easier to chase a title than defend one.
- We have missed the fluidity of a consistent "three" in midfield as we wean Thiago into things.
- We have missed the threat our best centre-backs pose from set pieces.
- We have missed the "rub of the green" with the referees and VAR to the point where some discuss corruption.
- We have missed the "luck" when it comes to second balls / deflections in the box that tend to lead to "nailed on" goal-scoring opportunities.
- We have missed the threat posed by an in-form Trent who has been off the boil.
- We have (recently) missed having Trent slightly further forward due to the visible caution he is showing when Henderson isn't covering due to being used at centre-back.
- We have missed Firmino being a threat of sorts when finishing, as he has been poorer than his best for a while now in that department.
- We have missed someone else "stepping up" in those rare times where Salah and Mane are both off the boil in finishing terms, which they are now.
- We have missed the Kop in full-voice dragging this team over the line in tight games (though let's be fair, all clubs will be missing fans)
- We have missed Milner's best performances as he is in the Winter of his career.
- We have missed getting opportunities on the counter-attack as teams now sit in against us to nullify that side of our game.

That is a LOT to cope with. Yet it would only take one match, ONE win to leave us just 4 points off top.

This season can go either way. I can empathise with people fearing that we will drop out of the Top Four, as it is a bloody exceptional season and seemingly anything can happen. But (incoming Sid will Sid) I look around us and think "only takes a purple patch and we're right there" - which is true!

The wheels COULD come off and if they do, we will dissect it all Summer - but surely, SURELY after everything we have witnessed with Liverpool over these last few years, we can collectively believe we're capable of solving this creative/attacking conundrum and squeezing out some results, then building from there?

It's the middle of January and the window is still open. Upto the club to dip into the transfer market if it's not happy with what it's got.
Otherwise the goals remain the same surely ?

Missing out on top4 via the league and not winning the champions league would be a big setback for the club

Without Virgil alone, winning the title and/or champions league would naturally be more challenging.

We have a berth at centre back to fill though, Lovren essentially.
Our first 3 centre backs are out injured or in Matips case returning from injury again.

Our current only top level reliable centre back is a lad who has played DM loads, can play in a 2 in 4231 and can also play right back, adding another centre back to our ranks would be smart and expected business. This hole needs filling.
This would have been an issue the moment VVD was out. Compounded by Gomez and Matip.

Missing out on top4 would I believe have impacts on sponsorships, a return to the sid cup or no income from European football at all.
We should be looking to bring in top players, CL football is a key component as is the probability of winning titles when signing players up.

Nike's increase in revenue expected, should offset most of the losses from gate receipts.
It's an amusing set of statements, fsg run the club on a sound financial footing and they couldn't expect to keep spending like they have done before.

If it's a case as you present of the owners winging it, hoping for top4 and a debrief session in the summer to chat about the catastrophe if it occurs, well that's a terribly risky strategy imo

Comes up every January, do we want to invest ahead of time to strengthen the team or wait till next season ?

I still think we are in a title race, where few are much better so far than a traditional top4 place or fourth place finish in the league. 2 ppg

RedNoodle
21st January 2021, 03:30 AM
It's an amusing set of statements, fsg run the club on a sound financial footing and they couldn't expect to keep spending like they have done before.

They HAVEN'T 'spent' lots of money, never mind 'repeatedly' spent lots of money. We have a net spend over the last five years of LESS than £20m per season, which is the FOURTEENTH highest in the PL alone, never mind in Europe, and that's despite being the FIFTH richest club in the WORLD, and that's BEFORE the Nike deal has kicked in.

They have banked on Klopp being able to continue working miracles on a 'shoestring budget', but the problem with trying to balance more and more plates on ever increasingly shaky poles is that eventually the inevitable is going to happen.

justme
21st January 2021, 04:09 AM
The problem is Klopp knows if he wants to buy players the money will go into debt on the club..We have to sell to sustain. The pandemic will make it in possible for us to sign players for 40/50 million without selling other players.
I doubt Jurgen is the kind of man who wants to put debt on the club..hes a great guy that way. The owners have to come out and make it clear Klopp can sign who he wants and we will deal with the debt some other legit way.

RedNoodle
21st January 2021, 04:33 AM
The problem is Klopp knows if he wants to buy players the money will go into debt on the club..We have to sell to sustain. The pandemic will make it in possible for us to sign players for 40/50 million without selling other players.
I doubt Jurgen is the kind of man who wants to put debt on the club..hes a great guy that way. The owners have to come out and make it clear Klopp can sign who he wants and we will deal with the debt some other legit way.

We do not have to sell to buy. Why are so many people buying into this bs narrative that is being spun by FSG and their 'fans'?

Unless every other club except those above us in the wealth league are also having to sell to buy, or buy nobody during this window, it shows/will show that this 'we need to sell to buy' narrative is nothing but a load of spin/excuses that are being used to justify trying to continually do things on the cheap, which is something that just will not work long term when it comes to top level football and competing for the big prizes on a consistent basis.

Klopp will do what the owners want him to do. He was/is in a position to say to the owners "back me, or I'm gone", but the very fact he hasn't been backed (hence why we have a thin squad and have only bought 'big' off of the back of the third most expensive transfer in football history) shows me that he's not putting any pressure on them to back him as there is absolutely no way he can be happy with the state of our squad, never mind that he had similar issues at Dortmund.

CCTV
21st January 2021, 12:42 PM
They HAVEN'T 'spent' lots of money, never mind 'repeatedly' spent lots of money. We have a net spend over the last five years of LESS than £20m per season, which is the FOURTEENTH highest in the PL alone, never mind in Europe, and that's despite being the FIFTH richest club in the WORLD, and that's BEFORE the Nike deal has kicked in.

They have banked on Klopp being able to continue working miracles on a 'shoestring budget', but the problem with trying to balance more and more plates on ever increasingly shaky poles is that eventually the inevitable is going to happen.

A low net spend is a good thing, can't be upset we've sold so well.

Our last additions have had big enough fees or wages. That's what I meant.

Steveo
21st January 2021, 01:30 PM
That's right CC - we should be mightily proud of our sales.. :victorious::victorious::victorious:

Insidious
21st January 2021, 02:25 PM
That's right CC - we should be mightily proud of our sales.. :victorious::victorious::victorious:

Know it's probably a bit tongue-in-cheek, but if fans don't come back into stadiums and clubs around us have put themselves into debt by committing to big contracts, our "tight" approach may pay us back further down the line!

Finances come up a lot on here, a dedicated thread might be a "messy but worth it" for the forum.

Steveo
21st January 2021, 02:48 PM
Know it's probably a bit tongue-in-cheek, but if fans don't come back into stadiums and clubs around us have put themselves into debt by committing to big contracts, our "tight" approach may pay us back further down the line!

Finances come up a lot on here, a dedicated thread might be a "messy but worth it" for the forum.

Might be worth a thread..

The big revenues for most premier league clubs is TV. The more fans don't attend games the more money there is for TV revenue streams. More people at home with nothing to do but watch.. Just check Netflix and Prime upsurge in subscribers to see the effect of Covid.

In fact as fans of smaller clubs cannot attend ( could be the end for many ) they too are subscribing to pay TV deals to watch football where they can only really see the bigger clubs. This pandemic may well be the death of smaller clubs but will likely see huge increase in revenues for the bigger ones.

skyebo
21st January 2021, 02:53 PM
Top.

Insidious
21st January 2021, 07:45 PM
Top.

In terms of our chances, De Bruyne apparently has a hamstring tear that may rule him out of the game against us.

Should we go into that game within touching distance (easier said than done right now) it's an incremental gain in our favour.

skyebo
21st January 2021, 07:48 PM
In terms of our chances, De Bruyne apparently has a hamstring tear that may rule him out of the game against us.

Should we go into that game within touching distance (easier said than done right now) it's an incremental gain in our favour.

I hope he does miss the game. When Guardiola goes, i hope he takes De Bruyne with him.

redebreck
22nd January 2021, 05:56 PM
Klopp is now insinuating he (Jurgen) isn't determining our transfers.
On BBC sport, can't include the link sorry I'm not near my computer.

Insidious
22nd January 2021, 05:59 PM
Klopp is now insinuating he (Jurgen) isn't determining our transfers.
On BBC sport, can't include the link sorry I'm not near my computer.

He never has though. It's always been a co-ordinated effort.

If he's genuinely frustrated about the situation that's fair enough - I think we all are - but you know what our media are like for quote-mining without context.

Steveo
22nd January 2021, 07:47 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55770710

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says "somebody else is making the decisions" when it comes to transfer deals.

The Premier League champions have not signed anyone in the January transfer window despite several injuries.

Defenders Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez are long-term absentees, while forward Diogo Jota was ruled out for "at least six weeks" in mid-December.

"I cannot decide if we do something in the transfer market or not," said Klopp.

Following Liverpool's 1-0 defeat to Burnley in the Premier League at Anfield on Thursday night, the German manager said "these decisions are not my decisions".

When asked on Friday to clarify what he meant, before Liverpool's FA Cup fourth-round tie with Manchester United on Sunday, Klopp added: "Of course somebody else is making the decisions. It was always like this.

"We discuss the situation pretty much on a daily basis, could we improve something or not and we make recommendations but I cannot spend the money. I never did.

"I don't want to confuse anybody. I just said what I said."

Nothing really new here - just an easy story for a journo.

TheDOC1979
22nd January 2021, 08:16 PM
I think he’s projecting his own frustrations. When you’re in his position, and your team is way off form, you’ll be asked those questions and eventually crack.

I worry about him. Not mentally, but if push came to shove, he’d walk or get the sack. Ruthless business

teesred
22nd January 2021, 09:54 PM
I think he’s projecting his own frustrations. When you’re in his position, and your team is way off form, you’ll be asked those questions and eventually crack.

I worry about him. Not mentally, but if push came to shove, he’d walk or get the sack. Ruthless business

I very,very much doubt he'd be sacked. We'd have to seriously go downhill for that to be an option.
After what happened with Dalglish they would literally be signing their own ticket out of LFC.

redebreck
24th January 2021, 08:45 PM
For me, the only likely outcome for Premier winners is JizzFest. They're capable of doing it thanks to the depth of their overpaid squad.
We're currently struggling to win a game at the moment. If we can turn things around and pick up some decent form, we are liable to finish in the Champions League positions.
Failing that, we could end up missing out on Europe at the end of the season.

RedNoodle
24th January 2021, 08:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1gYJDQXPOk

boom-klopp
24th January 2021, 09:07 PM
champions

eggy81
24th January 2021, 09:10 PM
3rd

dicko1969
4th February 2021, 01:28 AM
If man city win their last 17 games
Already won 13 on the trot
98 points.

Cant see anything but a city title tbh.

Unless they lose 4
Laporte
Dias
Stones
Ake

And Gk out for 10 games

Maybe ...

dicko1969
4th February 2021, 01:40 AM
I don't think I have watched city once.

My mistake ... once v Liverpool.

Man City bore the pants off of me !
Boring and predictable.

Probably because if given £50m for each position on the pitch

Even noods as financial consultant
Kev as man manger
And 19x as tactical coach
City would win the league

🤣🤣🤔

CCTV
7th February 2021, 08:07 PM
It's gone. Posted as much after the loss to brighton, certified today essentially.

Battle for top 4 begins and see how we fare in the CL. Bitter as fuck.

Kev0909
7th February 2021, 08:11 PM
Carry on like this my joke prediction of bot half could be real

miller0863
7th February 2021, 08:12 PM
We desperately need top four or we will be back to square one before Klopp arrived.

Kev0909
7th February 2021, 09:00 PM
Chelsea will push us out of top4 there I said it

Lampard sacking will be regarded as a master-class.

need leicester to blow up could see classic "top6" then without arsenal city utd chelsea liverpool spurs/leicester

Steveo
7th February 2021, 09:02 PM
Right now - it is tough to see where the next win is coming from.

One game at a time. Forget top 4 for now. Loom at the next game and see where it leads

redebreck
7th February 2021, 10:04 PM
I'm starting to think we are suffering from burn-out. We play such a high-intensity, high energy game that we're not getting enough time to recuperate between matches. We're conceding late goals when we used to be the side scoring late goals. Our shortage of top quality back-up players isn't helping, particularly with our injuries since Everton.

Nineteenx
7th February 2021, 10:07 PM
We'll finish second if Jurgen ditches the tappy tappy overplaying crap and let's the players play the direct style they won four trophies with and maybe even win the Champions League

if Jurgen persists with the tappy crappy overplaying crap and keeps fucking about with our forwards and other players positions we could well finish outside the top four or even the top six

eggy81
7th February 2021, 10:11 PM
We'll finish second if Jurgen ditches the tappy tappy overplaying crap and let's the players play the direct style they won four trophies with and maybe even win the Champions League

if Jurgen persists with the tappy crappy overplaying crap and keeps fucking about with our forwards and other players positions we could well finish outside the top four or even the top six

I think teams have figured out how to stop the direct style more effectively. Also the quick ball up to Bobby is coming back more than I’ve ever seen it. Had this convo with my old man earlier. His synopsis is that team are completely swamping the space Bobby used to play in making him pretty much null. Far more to it than looking up and smashing it from flank to flank.

LEGS
7th February 2021, 10:22 PM
I think teams have figured out how to stop the direct style more effectively. Also the quick ball up to Bobby is coming back more than I’ve ever seen it. Had this convo with my old man earlier. His synopsis is that team are completely swamping the space Bobby used to play in making him pretty much null. Far more to it than looking up and smashing it from flank to flank.

Exactly the dross near the bottom are just letting us have the ball wide but are swamping the middle of the park playing 5-4-1 systems.

I think we might have been found out abit but we also can’t play at a high tempo due to lack of fit players.

The players haven’t gone from 97-99 points to being clueless idiots.

Too many teams are just plonking so many behind the ball that is up to them but you have the likes of J.Redknapp tossing off about Big Sam not done much since getting a few points at City/us, I just don’t think you get away with that style in a normal season the home fans not have it.

Nineteenx
7th February 2021, 10:24 PM

I don't, we haven't been playing like that this season and we've got out of all our patterns, familiarity and speed and automatic playing like that at our best

We played like that 17-18, teams tried to stop it in 18-19, more teams set up exactly as so many have this season in 19-20, for the last 2 seasons teams have tried to stop it in the same way, exactly the same way as they have this season and have been completely unable to stop it, the difference is how our lads have been asked to play

justme
7th February 2021, 10:33 PM

Your old man is 100% correct. It seems that its accepted Firmino can do what he likes in midfield. It doesnt matter if he scores or not.
We try and play down the sides with Mane and Salah but centrally there is no one. You need to be able to open up the centre backs of the opposition some how..

eggy81
7th February 2021, 10:38 PM
Your old man is 100% correct. It seems that its accepted Firmino can do what he likes in midfield. It doesnt matter if he scores or not.
We try and play down the sides with Mane and Salah but centrally there is no one. You need to be able to open up the centre backs of the opposition some how..
I agree with you that he’s correct but we are failing at far more than Bobby not getting space. Our forwards aren’t shooting our midfield aren’t releasing the ball, our set pice delivery is poor and we have small men attacking them. Our defence has midfielders in it. Our keeper isn’t his usual commanding self and most importantly our manage who has conquered all has lost his way.

justme
7th February 2021, 10:39 PM
yep all valid.

teesred
8th February 2021, 12:05 AM
Exactly the dross near the bottom are just letting us have the ball wide but are swamping the middle of the park playing 5-4-1 systems.

I think we might have been found out abit but we also can’t play at a high tempo due to lack of fit players.

The players haven’t gone from 97-99 points to being clueless idiots.

Too many teams are just plonking so many behind the ball that is up to them but you have the likes of J.Redknapp tossing off about Big Sam not done much since getting a few points at City/us, I just don’t think you get away with that style in a normal season the home fans not have it.

Agree with that last part about fans.
Utd are benefitting from not having fans in, no pressure from the crowd getting anxious. Other teams have done so too.
Like we said the other day a lot of the league games now low block versus the playing sides and its turgid. Managers aren't getting grief in the stadium for playing like this at home so can get away with it.
Its a strange season, I'm not half as arsed as I would be normally.
One small crumb of comfort, winning the title this season without the fans to see it again would have been really sad.
After the last 3 years this team can be forgiven for this one.

fiordearg
8th February 2021, 12:23 AM
Top 4 hopefully. I'm not confident right now

Nineteenx
8th February 2021, 06:37 AM
If we get Hendo back in midfield with Gini and Thiago and stop overplaying for the sake of it and get all the formidable relationships back to near their best we're well capable of beating all the sides we've got left to play, finishing our league campaign really strongly and having a real crack at winning the Champions League

redebreck
8th February 2021, 08:45 PM
This season has been a write-off.
Not just for us, but generally. Everyone's been affected, except maybe clubs with massive resources and huge squads.
I can't wait to see the back of it.

skyebo
8th February 2021, 08:48 PM
Runners-up.

Kev0909
10th February 2021, 03:54 PM
Who's got the title of worst title defense in history??

Like biggest drop?

could we win that title?

RedNoodle
10th February 2021, 04:01 PM

Like biggest drop?

could we win that title?

Not unless we continue this run of losses. Chelsea finished 10th in 15/16 after winning title, whilst Leicester finished 12th in 16/17 after winning the title.

Kev0909
10th February 2021, 04:45 PM
Not unless we continue this run of losses. Chelsea finished 10th in 15/16 after winning title, whilst Leicester finished 12th in 16/17 after winning the title.

wow forgot about chelsea and not surprised about leicester tbf that was a weird season which they won it in fuck knows what happened that season

Martyboy
10th February 2021, 10:35 PM

Like biggest drop?

could we win that title?

Leeds won it in '91/92......Finished 17th in '92/93(out of 22 teams)....:nightmare:

CCTV
11th February 2021, 01:17 AM
Leeds won it in '91/92......Finished 17th in '92/93(out of 22 teams)....:nightmare:

I don't think we can match that record..
Maybe if we sack Klopp and get Woy in

dicko1969
13th February 2021, 08:36 PM

This aged well.
Beginning of January
6 weeks really awful time.

All those injuries finally catching up with us.

justme
13th February 2021, 08:58 PM
If they do manage to get around 90 points. It will ease it a bit for me.I doubt we were going to get anywhere that this season anyway.
Not easy to get 97 and then99 and then follow it up with 90+ again.

eggy81
13th February 2021, 09:00 PM
Think we’ll eventually rally to finish 4th. Damage limitation season from here.

Nineteenx
15th February 2021, 10:08 PM
If we can get our act together soon I think top four will be City, Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea

I can see the filthy dropping out of it, they've had their best 14 or 15 players available all season and used them in most games and still played really badly a fair number of times, I think Leicester will have learned a lesson from last season, if Chelsea get their act together, which it looks like they are and we get our act together, the filthy are the team I see dropping out of the top four, don't see them beating Chelsea, City, Leicester, us, or Wolves, if they lose 2 on the bounce to Chelsea then City could easily see them getting done by West Ham at Old Toilet the following game.

Think of all the hype and OTT praise they've been getting, if they lose those 2 on the bounce to Chelsea then City, which I'm pretty certain they will, and then don't get a win or even get beat by West Ham and we manage to put 2 or 3 wins together at the same time, with all their hype and title talk, their fans and going to go into full on melt down and Ole's future is quickly going to be in the balance again

eggy81
15th February 2021, 10:28 PM
If we can get our act together soon I think top four will be City, Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea

I can see the filthy dropping out of it, they've had their best 14 or 15 players available all season and used them in most games and still played really badly a fair number of times, I think Leicester will have learned a lesson from last season, if Chelsea get their act together, which it looks like they are and we get our act together, the filthy are the team I see dropping out of the top four, don't see them beating Chelsea, City, Leicester, us, or Wolves, if they lose 2 on the bounce to Chelsea then City could easily see them getting done by West Ham at Old Toilet the following game.

Think of all the hype and OTT praise they've been getting, if they lose those 2 on the bounce to Chelsea then City, which I'm pretty certain they will, and then don't get a win or even get beat by West Ham and we manage to put 2 or 3 wins together at the same time, with all their hype and title talk, their fans and going to go into full on melt down and Ole's future is quickly going to be in the balance again

It’s pretty mad that they’ve taken the same points as is from their last 5 yer we’re in turmoil supposedly. Hope we begin to bounce back tomorrow and a win over the blues at wknd will be just the tonic in the league. They were septic yesterday.

Nineteenx
15th February 2021, 10:33 PM
It’s pretty mad that they’ve taken the same points as is from their last 5 yer we’re in turmoil supposedly. Hope we begin to bounce back tomorrow and a win over the blues at wknd will be just the tonic in the league. They were septic yesterday.

A win tomorrow and City beating the blueshite the following evening would set things up very nicely

Chelsea haven't played anyone yet to be honest, I think their top four aspirations may rest on how they get on in their Champions League last 16 v Atletico, they're an absolute cunt of a team nobody wants to play and they've got Suarez for additional cuntiness this season

Nineteenx
15th February 2021, 10:42 PM
I don't think we've been playing badly at all, we've been the better side in practically all our games, just mistakes through missing any senior Cbs and a really obvious bad reaction to so called 'subjective' VAR decisions always going against us when they've been given or not been given all season in practically every other game the exact opposite way for the exact same offences and alleged subjective reasoning

We really do need to work on something with Bobby moving the 2 or 3 that opposition sides use to constantly look to shut him out of the game to create gaps elsewhere, he's been the link between midfield and the other forwards for so long and now he hasn't got the same help from 2 high pressing midfielders it's been a lot easier for opposition sides to shut him out and stop that link, so rather than keep persisting with him trying to link as he did, he can still be the link, but in a very different way, creating the space with runs and quick lays offs out wide or back to Thiago or Hendo for a through ball or switch then looking to follow up play and gte in the box himself rather than him linking it directly

Kev0909
15th February 2021, 10:44 PM
based on last 10 games we'd be in 15th

I DonT tHiNk We PLAyED bAlDy aAT ALlLl L

LoLZers

i HoPe ThiS cArry's On especiallLYYY against the likeZ of The Bot Half HalVE

Nineteenx
15th February 2021, 10:52 PM
based on last 10 games we'd be in 15th

I DonT tHiNk We PLAyED bAlDy aAT ALlLl L

LoLZers

i HoPe ThiS cArry's On especiallLYYY against the likeZ of The Bot Half HalVE

We haven't played badly, individual errors through continually having to chop and change midfield and at the back and bad reactions to bogus VAR calls and or bad VAR calls have cost us games and points, but we've been the dominant side and played the better football in practically all our games.

As Jurgen said in today's presser, along the lines of my thoughts of a team being a collection of parts making an entire body, "A team is like a house, the CB's are the foundation, if you don't have them and have to constantly change them, the house is going to be a bit draughty sometimes"

Not like we drew with WBA using all our best 15 players and on actual chances should have got bummed 3-1 like the filthy, we drew from their only chance of the entire game being given as a goal when their lad fouled Fabinho, their only chance

retired
15th February 2021, 11:09 PM
We have the front three, put the best mid field we have fit, out there, then work with best we have left for the back four.
Maybe do a Brendan, concede 4 but score 5 it's the points we need more than goal diff.

skyebo
16th February 2021, 12:01 AM
We have the front three, put the best mid field we have fit, out there, then work with best we have left for the back four.
Maybe do a Brendan, concede 4 but score 5 it's the points we need more than goal diff.

My heart couldn't take a 4-3 or a 5-4 scoreline any more. And the way we are playing of late, we concede 3 and lose the game as the goals have dried up.

Steveo
16th February 2021, 02:36 PM
I saw this - thought it made some interesting points. Make of it what you will.

Liverpool’s biggest strength is now their biggest weakness…
Monday 15th February

Mentality Monsters to Moshi Miniatures

They say that writing can be cathartic, so hopefully this will make me feel better. Lord knows it is needed at the moment – Liverpool have gone from the only bright spot in the unremitting doom of covid existence, to an anchor dragging me deeper and deeper into the abyss. But enough whining, I don’t want to sound like just another Pool fan looking for excuses – VAR is the worst thing that has been intentionally done to football EVER, but is equally appalling for everybody eventually, it’s just Liverpool’s (and Southampton’s) turn to suffer every game at the moment. It’s not a conspiracy, it’s just making a difficult job (refereeing) impossible, and multiplied the potential for subjective error exponentially.

It is pretty clear that this Liverpool team are currently incapable of recovering their confidence, composure, resilience and poise. Maddison and Rodgers both mentioned in the post-match interviews that they knew specifically which weaknesses to go after – Thiago and Liverpool’s propensity to capitulate in the last 20 minutes respectively. In addition to this, Leicester kept attacking down Liverpool’s right knowing that TAA’s defending isn’t worthy of even an out of position Djimi Traore. Credit to Leicester and Rodgers for devising and executing such a devastatingly effective game plan, to go with the low block / wait for a mistake method as guaranteed ways to beat Liverpool in this form.

Why have Liverpool dropped off so far? They are no longer even a shadow of their former selves, but the weird stain on the wall that might have been something once, but now just looks faintly disgusting. It is impossible to describe this season as a title ‘defence’ – it is nothing of the sort, Liverpool are actively helping other teams achieve their own objectives, whilst beating themselves twice a week. What has happened to turn one of the strongest outfits mentally into one of the weakest? Robbo said that they hadn’t become bad players over night, but that is in fact exactly what has happened. But why?

I believe this is down to what was Liverpool’s biggest strength, but has now become our biggest weakness – emotion. Klopp has always drawn on emotion as a tool – ‘become believers’, ‘mentality monsters’ etc etc – this is how he was able to draw such insane levels of performance out of this group for so long. However, it is a double-edged sword – if you use positive emotion as the foundation for over-performance, it shouldn’t be a surprise that when that emotion turns negative, you get disastrous under-performance. The following evidence supports this theory:

It is why Klopp’s excuses are so corrosive, they prick the balloon of self-confidence and replace it with victimhood

It is why VAR decisions going against Liverpool have such a negative effect – it feels so much more unjust and unfair, rather than just something to be moved on from

It explains why Liverpool have suffered so much with empty stands – the Anfield crowd were a fundamental fuel for the team’s emotion and confidence

It is why the team can collapse from untroubled control to complete and utter disaster and calamity at the first sign of anything going against them

It is why the collapses happen so quickly and are so devastating – we are basically a bipolar team – from calm to despair in minutes

It is why injuries have more impact – you can swap out cogs in a machine relatively easily, it is harder to change around fundamental elements to an emotional heartbeat

This Means More = this is exactly the problem, it really shouldn’t

The bad news is that the above makes it much more difficult, and take much longer, to turn this situation around – you are talking about rebuilding the emotional currency built up over 3 years, in a few weeks. Aint going to happen.*

I mentioned in a recent email that it is time to rest the first 11 for next season, I’m now more sure than ever that this is the right thing to do – otherwise the cycle will not be broken, and we will spin further and further out of contention.

stevie harkness
16th February 2021, 03:16 PM
This? Why, I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl...

CCTV
16th February 2021, 03:47 PM
I saw this - thought it made some interesting points. Make of it what you will.

Liverpool’s biggest strength is now their biggest weakness…
Monday 15th February

Mentality Monsters to Moshi Miniatures

They say that writing can be cathartic, so hopefully this will make me feel better. Lord knows it is needed at the moment – Liverpool have gone from the only bright spot in the unremitting doom of covid existence, to an anchor dragging me deeper and deeper into the abyss. But enough whining, I don’t want to sound like just another Pool fan looking for excuses – VAR is the worst thing that has been intentionally done to football EVER, but is equally appalling for everybody eventually, it’s just Liverpool’s (and Southampton’s) turn to suffer every game at the moment. It’s not a conspiracy, it’s just making a difficult job (refereeing) impossible, and multiplied the potential for subjective error exponentially.

It is pretty clear that this Liverpool team are currently incapable of recovering their confidence, composure, resilience and poise. Maddison and Rodgers both mentioned in the post-match interviews that they knew specifically which weaknesses to go after – Thiago and Liverpool’s propensity to capitulate in the last 20 minutes respectively. In addition to this, Leicester kept attacking down Liverpool’s right knowing that TAA’s defending isn’t worthy of even an out of position Djimi Traore. Credit to Leicester and Rodgers for devising and executing such a devastatingly effective game plan, to go with the low block / wait for a mistake method as guaranteed ways to beat Liverpool in this form.

Why have Liverpool dropped off so far? They are no longer even a shadow of their former selves, but the weird stain on the wall that might have been something once, but now just looks faintly disgusting. It is impossible to describe this season as a title ‘defence’ – it is nothing of the sort, Liverpool are actively helping other teams achieve their own objectives, whilst beating themselves twice a week. What has happened to turn one of the strongest outfits mentally into one of the weakest? Robbo said that they hadn’t become bad players over night, but that is in fact exactly what has happened. But why?

I believe this is down to what was Liverpool’s biggest strength, but has now become our biggest weakness – emotion. Klopp has always drawn on emotion as a tool – ‘become believers’, ‘mentality monsters’ etc etc – this is how he was able to draw such insane levels of performance out of this group for so long. However, it is a double-edged sword – if you use positive emotion as the foundation for over-performance, it shouldn’t be a surprise that when that emotion turns negative, you get disastrous under-performance. The following evidence supports this theory:

It is why Klopp’s excuses are so corrosive, they prick the balloon of self-confidence and replace it with victimhood

It is why VAR decisions going against Liverpool have such a negative effect – it feels so much more unjust and unfair, rather than just something to be moved on from

It explains why Liverpool have suffered so much with empty stands – the Anfield crowd were a fundamental fuel for the team’s emotion and confidence

It is why the team can collapse from untroubled control to complete and utter disaster and calamity at the first sign of anything going against them

It is why the collapses happen so quickly and are so devastating – we are basically a bipolar team – from calm to despair in minutes

It is why injuries have more impact – you can swap out cogs in a machine relatively easily, it is harder to change around fundamental elements to an emotional heartbeat

This Means More = this is exactly the problem, it really shouldn’t

The bad news is that the above makes it much more difficult, and take much longer, to turn this situation around – you are talking about rebuilding the emotional currency built up over 3 years, in a few weeks. Aint going to happen.*

I mentioned in a recent email that it is time to rest the first 11 for next season, I’m now more sure than ever that this is the right thing to do – otherwise the cycle will not be broken, and we will spin further and further out of contention.

My disdain for journos and their product is not abating :D

Steveo
16th February 2021, 04:22 PM

It's not brilliant by any means but a few good points made, that some have alluded to in here.

Like how the atmosphere being stolen - has drastically affected that trinity...Manager/Players/Fans...that Shanks so famously spoke about.

Jurgen tapped into that and has maximised it - the team fed of it - but BCD is shite..!

Kev0909
16th February 2021, 04:25 PM
Amazing how things change isn't it?

4th of jan, new year hope and dreams

People predicting mostly we'd win it by the looks of it

a month later.........

only 16 pts behind man city (if win game in hand**)

stevie harkness
16th February 2021, 04:47 PM
It is amazing how things change but as football fans, life's sufferers, we don't see it happening to our rivals.

Nineteenx
16th February 2021, 08:18 PM

Agreed, what a load of absolute horseshite, I remember doing the World Cup site and just absolutely wiping the floor with Holt, Maddock and all the other know nothing established football journos, I got literally everything exactly right England wise, while they were just pissing in the wind as they always do

eggy81
16th February 2021, 08:34 PM
Agreed, what a load of absolute horseshite, I remember doing the World Cup site and just absolutely wiping the floor with Holt, Maddock and all the other know nothing established football journos, I got literally everything exactly right England wise, while they were just pissing in the wind as they always do

Do you work for the beeb or bt or a broadsheet? Never knew you were a journo

miller0863
16th February 2021, 08:36 PM
The Mirror

stevie harkness
16th February 2021, 08:39 PM
Hehe!!

Nineteenx
16th February 2021, 08:40 PM
The Mirror

:D :D Very nicely done, has anyone tried this?