PDA

View Full Version : Trent Alexander-Arnold

justme
22nd January 2021, 05:05 AM
Just wondering what people were thinking on TAA form of late?. To me he seems to be hitting a barn door. The effort is there.He ran all day for the team. Just seems to be not quite on it at the moment. Could be a lack of form. But l think its more likely to be a combination of a previous injury and illness IE Covid.
Do we rest him and bring him back later or keep playing hoping his form will return?

This is not a over the top criticism, Hes been top notch since he came into the team at a really early age. And theres massive ability in there has hes shown.But hes having a dip right now. Its to be expected, eventually it was going to happen.So repeat question do we rest him for 3/4 games?

RedNoodle
22nd January 2021, 05:16 AM
The problem we have is the same as those we have with other positions/players i.e. we don't have a reliable, decent quality alternative on our bench/in the squad.

teesred
22nd January 2021, 10:29 AM
Hes having a bad spell, really bad by his previous standards. He's not alone but his form has dropped more than others, I'd say Mane is probably the next nearest.
Last night surely has to be a huge wake up call. Weve surrendered our 4 year undefeated home record with a whimper but that's not the issue as it was going to end at some point this season. Souness said last night that we will find out what this team is made of, they have been on an upward curve for years and this is the first real time they have hit a wall.
Excellent teams don't turn shit overnight. This run won't go on, it will end and we will turn it around.

Kev0909
22nd January 2021, 10:38 AM
Not sure why Milner/neco doesn't get a chance to start ahead of him tbh, normally i'd say no way but he's been awful keeps breaking all the wrong records, the stats are truly shocking and the decline

at least until the team pick it up a bit and can carry him if he's still awful

I love the lad but if klopp doesn't trust neco that's another position we need a backup player for, much like the greek on the left just incase of a injury etc, then again I guess gomez can "fill" normally although he's a completely different type of player and is constantly out of position at RB

but ya know, fsg mate

LEGS
22nd January 2021, 10:50 AM
I think its mainly a form issue but the injury & covid hasnt helped.

Normally you would play him and get him through it but its much harder this season to do that pretty much 3 games a week.

Neco will probably start in the cup he is a good back up he is a different kind of full back to Trent which isnt a bad thing.

eggy81
22nd January 2021, 11:00 AM
Everything about his play looks disjointed as if he cant click fully into games. In the las 3 games he’s blatantly pulled out of tackles and headers and been nutmegged and skint numerous times by average joe wingers. On the offensive side his first touch often leaves the ball behind him or stuck under his feet meaning he can cross on the run and has to check and try fashion a ball from a less optimal position than he’d like. When he does get to cross it’s either into the first man or over everything. It’s all being compounded by poor movement in the box and exacerbated by a lot of poor underhit passed out to him when in good positions.

He’s woefully out of form but there are plenty more along for the ride with him.

Insidious
22nd January 2021, 11:00 AM
I think he is in a run of bad form. It happens.

I also think our best crossed come from deeper and in transition, behind the defence with runners bombing onto them.

Once the opposition defence is set, crosses, particularly from an out-of-form player, won't yield much. Especially at the height of the heads of physical centre-backs or the clutching arms of a strong, tall, confident keeper.

Trent will come good again, they all will. But he is currently not contributing in the attack whilst he still retains his defensive weaknesses. It's not a winning combo and I just wonder if, being a local lad, he is carrying psychological weight on the shoulders the way Stevie used to.

reddownunder
22nd January 2021, 11:04 AM
Not sure why Milner/neco doesn't get a chance to start ahead of him tbh, normally i'd say no way but he's been awful keeps breaking all the wrong records, the stats are truly shocking and the decline

at least until the team pick it up a bit and can carry him if he's still awful

I love the lad but if klopp doesn't trust neco that's another position we need a backup player for, much like the greek on the left just incase of a injury etc, then again I guess gomez can "fill" normally although he's a completely different type of player and is constantly out of position at RB

but ya know, fsg mate

Speaking of Tsimikas he hasn't played a single minute in the league. Another sick note..

sydenham red
22nd January 2021, 11:11 AM
Please play Neco on sunday, trent needs a physical and mental rest. He's been given chances to play his way out if the poor form and it isnt working. Ditto firmino, sadly i dont know if he will ever recapture his form of 18mths ago. Not sure if Jota was bought aa his replacement or not but he/his position needs a quality alternative..

ianlfc
22nd January 2021, 11:19 AM
I always feel Trents better crossing when he's less time to think about it plus he's always very deep into the oppositions half these past few months.
It also doesn't help when there's 8 or 9 big defenders in a crowded box when he's trying to cross and find or players.
We're better when we break quick and hit them from our full backs but teams now just sit back and defend.
Robbo was no better last night it's just a huge lack of confidence from everyone.

Nineteenx
22nd January 2021, 11:29 AM
I genuinely believe most of our issues with form are through too many changes and trying to force this playing through teams Wengeresque tappy tappy bollocks throwing most of what we developed over the last 3 years under the bus, you just can't try and implement such massive changes without drastically altering the relationships, movement, positioning and understanding players have of one another built up over sl long and expect it to work because they know each others games, they know each others games playing a different way

Look at the UAE FC game when we went 442 Jurgen himself said post match that we conceded the equaliser and then the penalty after making that change because of unfamiliarity and players doing the wrong movements because it was new to them, that, or rather different movement and players not doing what they were doing for most of the last 3 years is what we're now experiencing in every game and that's caused so many players to fall well short of their best form

teesred
22nd January 2021, 11:34 AM
You keep saying that over and over again yet there's little to suggest its true.
Teams are sitting deep against us, we cant get through. Its nothing new, we had it last season but things went our way most if the time. Its just not happening, players out injured has affected the way we play, we havent changed by design.
These things happen. City went the first 8 games with 3 wins. Spurs gave had troughs as have Utd. We will come good again.

Kev0909
22nd January 2021, 11:35 AM
You keep saying that over and over again yet there's little to suggest its true.
Teams are sitting deep against us, we cant get through. Its nothing new, we had it last season but things went our way most if the time. Its just not happening, players out injured has affected the way we play, we havent changed by design.
These things happen. City went the first 8 games with 3 wins. Spurs gave had troughs as have Utd. We will come good again.

Like I said in another thread, not to repeat myself too, but this has been coming for a while how many games did we scrape?

How many games did salah bail us out by himself? even this season very reliant on him/mane

can't remember last time we played as well as we have done in the past- in a few games in a row even though we didn't win it season before last, I still think overall as crazy as it sounds after winning it by as much as we did we played better football more constantly.

teesred
22nd January 2021, 11:37 AM
Like I said in another thread, not to repeat myself too, but this has been coming for a while how many games did we scrape?

How many games did salah bail us out by himself? even this season very reliant on him/mane

Exactly. We were going to hit this wall, its not possible to continually go up.
Four or five main players put of form is ridiculous but it won't last much longer.

Nineteenx
22nd January 2021, 11:49 AM

We've been overplaying and virtually sacked the direct stuff and winning second balls off it that we used a lot in all the park the bus games last season, mixing it up and scored most of our goals through that, not from passing through teams, the Mane, Robbo partnership on the left terrorising even the park the bus sides through our working it into an area on the right, then back to centre and quickly switching it left that featured hugely in practically every game last season with Gini often making it a trio trying to release Mane or Robbo or be released by either through the channel has barely beenseen this season and we're half way through

teesred
22nd January 2021, 11:58 AM
Because there's no space. Its not been a tactical change, we can't break teams down. Coupled with loss of form and injuries to major players.

Nineteenx
22nd January 2021, 12:09 PM
Because there's no space. Its not been a tactical change, we can't break teams down. Coupled with loss of form and injuries to major players.

There has been a tactical change, we started the season with that trio working and Mane and Robbo on fire and it went to shit when Mane was asked to play more centrally for a few games

And the space is there, same as it was laast season v PTB sides, you have to make that spaace by working the ball into an area on the right drawing more players across ten go back to centre for an instant switch, with Robbo and Gini backing it up to have it laid off to them or win second balls, it was an automatic reflex thing we constantly did

redebreck
23rd January 2021, 05:43 AM
I always feel Trents better crossing when he's less time to think about it plus he's always very deep into the oppositions half these past few months.
It also doesn't help when there's 8 or 9 big defenders in a crowded box when he's trying to cross and find or players.
We're better when we break quick and hit them from our full backs but teams now just sit back and defend.
Robbo was no better last night it's just a huge lack of confidence from everyone.

One thing I've noticed with Robbo this season is he rarely crosses first time.
I've lost count of the number of times he's had the ball played to him and he turns round and passes it backwards instead of driving it across.

Nineteenx
23rd January 2021, 07:48 AM
One thing I've noticed with Robbo this season is he rarely crosses first time.
I've lost count of the number of times he's had the ball played to him and he turns round and passes it backwards instead of driving it across.

There used to be 4 or 5 times a game Robbo had the ball played to him, perfectly placed to whip it in firsttime through the channel between RC and RCB towards the far post and it used to do my nut in too, because Mo's lurking there and worst case scenario he gets it too far wide to score, but we've turned the opposition defence, moved them, disturbed them and that's half the job with PTB teams, then maybe Mo gets a chance to tee one up for someone else

I think that's half the problem v PTB sometimes, we let them defend as they want to and have prepared to and don't do enough early balls in into that corridor of uncertainty between GK and CBs to try and at least unsettle and unnerve them, put couple of good one's in that nearly come to something and they'll soon be trying to readjust to stop that which can get them out of what they trained to do and create an opening somewhere else

Steveo
23rd January 2021, 10:17 AM
Against any deep lying side - which is what all champions face game in game out - you need to pick a lock. You need a different set of qualities.

The description of a Robbo’s runs and crosses is apt as that space just isn’t there as much as sides tailor their game. Even with a fit Virgil - are we expecting him to find that towering headed goal - every weekend? If so it doesn’t exactly point to a great footballing side.

I believe we scored the most goals from set pieces last term too.. is that really the summit of our ability? We scraped many games winning with a mentality of steel. Let’s not make out we were a great footballing side. We were not. Good to watch - usually pushing forward in relentless fashion at 100 mph - BUT often making the most of the press and mistakes.

You don’t dominate playing like that for any length of time.

ianlfc
23rd January 2021, 10:58 AM
This could be the reason Pep likes players like David Silva, Bernardo Silva, Foden and Gundogan. Players who can pass there way through tight defences.
Just get Fabinho back into the midfield and push Thiago further forward and we could be onto something.

Steveo
23rd January 2021, 11:36 AM
David Silva is the best I have seen in the Prem. Thank the lord Pep hasn’t had him at his peak.

The players you cite are all quality footballers - especially the Silva’s

Short passing and good feet - proper players. Klopp knows we need this - but he has a weakness - he loves a runner - keeps trying to find a player with a bit of everything. You know what they say about Jack of all trades. :D

Personally I think he loves more limited players like Hendo - because they will just do what he says.

Steveo
23rd January 2021, 11:44 AM
https://youtu.be/EiaJTNcunek

Lord only knows how much cream there would be if that Ginger, Nordic, Belgian had half the quality..

Insidious
29th January 2021, 12:07 AM
Great performance against Spurs.

Better decision-making about when to cross, when not to cross and what type of cross to put in.

Goal. Assist. Lovely.

miller0863
29th January 2021, 12:10 AM
Aye, really good to see as we approach the business end of the season

Kev0909
29th January 2021, 12:28 AM
"trent is fast improving" thread please

also Liverpool in general

!!!! trents class always will be off-form like everyone else was, how often has he been great at such a young age?

RedNoodle
29th January 2021, 12:32 AM
I'd still like him to improve a bit when it comes to the defensive part of his game.

Kev0909
29th January 2021, 12:33 AM
I'd still like him to improve a bit when it comes to the defensive part of his game.

noones perfect he'll always be better going forward, bring back Arbeloa ?

RedNoodle
29th January 2021, 12:37 AM
noones perfect he'll always be better going forward, bring back Arbeloa ?

Only if he'll fit in seamlessly i.e. he's made of biscuits.

Balinkay
29th January 2021, 08:22 AM
Was Arbeloa injury prone? I don't remember him being particularly bad but it has been a while.

RedNoodle
29th January 2021, 08:43 AM
Was Arbeloa injury prone? I don't remember him being particularly bad but it has been a while.

Not that I remember. I was just saying that we'd only bring him back if he currently is injury prone. It was Aurelio on the other side of the pitch who was made of biscuits.

justme
29th January 2021, 08:46 AM
Shame about Aurelio, he was very good when he did manage to play for us..

Insidious
29th January 2021, 09:16 AM
It was Aurelio on the other side of the pitch who was made of biscuits.

Aurelio's capacity to come back into the fray having not played for weeks and be absolutely on it as if he had never been injured was brilliant.

Would have loved to have seen what he could have done for us with a good injury record.

jozza800
29th January 2021, 09:36 AM
Aurelio's capacity to come back into the fray having not played for weeks and be absolutely on it as if he had never been injured was brilliant.

Would have loved to have seen what he could have done for us with a good injury record.

He's one of an ever increaesing list of players who we never really got to see the best of. Harry Kewell is the one for me - One of the most natural footballers i've ever seen, shame he spent more time on the treatment table.

Tees made a point about players not playing through injuries (re Matip) in the match thread and I think Kewell was one of those. If he wasnt fit he wouldnt play.

I did watch a video with Michael Owen on BT sports about his injuries. He said that all of his family (who all played sports at various levels) suffered from muscle/hamstring injuries. Sometimes it's just coded into your DNA.

On Trent. He was boss last night. Let's hope he can carry it on...

ianlfc
29th January 2021, 11:33 AM
He was crossing the ball from a far better position last night, just inside his own half with our players running onto the ball. Unlike a John Barnes type player who can run to the byline and cross a brilliant ball. That's what Trent has been doing these past weeks.
Back to basics, and it worked.

Insidious
31st May 2021, 04:52 PM
Not picked for England squad?

Their loss. Our gain.

Steveo
31st May 2021, 04:56 PM
Joke of a decision by the twat in a waistcoat and I feel for Trent but it is absolutely to our gain.

Screw-em Trent - save it for the Liverbird

Kev0909
31st May 2021, 04:59 PM
He's fucking useless, trent would be great against many teams

skyebo
31st May 2021, 05:02 PM
His time will surely come again, though this season hasn't been his best. Southgate probably saw both sides of him when coming to the games.

justme
31st May 2021, 05:24 PM
Good he gets a rest THANK YOU!

Crimson Dynasty
31st May 2021, 07:41 PM
Feel bad for the lad, because you know he wanted to go.
But it's for the best, Trent.

They never appreciated you the way we do.

Every player has bad periods or down phases, but he's always our Trent.
I just hope this lights a fire under him for next season.
Go get a rest.
Clear your head, and come back motivated and fired up to prove what a twat Southgate was in leaving you out.

Especially after they get booted out by Croatia or Spain in the quarters, mainly for lacking width or attacking strength at the flanks.

Work on your defense though, Trent.

So that's Trent not going.
Virgil's ruled himself out, and I don't want to hear any word about Joe even thinking of going even if he were picked (he hasn't thank goodness.

That means our backline should get well-rested and ready for next season.
Too bad about Copa America because you know the Brazilian lads are gonna wanna win that one now that the venue has been shifted from Argentina back to Brazil where they won it the last time. I'd have much rather the likes of Allison and Fabby get some rest as well - Especially Alli, who's had an especially tough season with his dad passing and all. Bobby could use the shooting practice, though.

CCTV
31st May 2021, 08:19 PM
His time will surely come again, though this season hasn't been his best. Southgate probably saw both sides of him when coming to the games.

Still we got to see the one dimensional southgate as a fool, who'd land a young player in the shit for no good reason.

Nineteenx
31st May 2021, 09:38 PM
An absolute joke of a decision, Trent is better than all the other England right backs, he has better defensive AND attacking stats than all of them THIS SEASON, playing in a completely unsettled backline and with a completely unsettled midfield in front on the defence all season

I've seen Walker makes 4 really bad errors leading to goals against City this season, including giving 3 penalties away needlessly

I've seen James make 2 errors that culminated in goals

Not seen Trippier, but his team park the bus in most games anyway

I don't think the decision is in anyway a reflection on Trent's ability, I think it's a reflection of Southgate knowing his own limitations and lack of ability. Jurgen organised our lads to go unbeaten in our last 10 Premier League game, winning 8 and drawing 2, missing our captain and with 2 of our 3 forwards in the worst form of their careers and using Phillips and Rhys Williams at CB in eight of our last 10 games, the eight we won, with 5 clean sheets in that eight, with Fabinho and Rhys at CB in the 2 we drew, ALL of them with Robbo and Trent as attacking full backs and doing their part defensively too

What Southgate is effectively saying by leaving Trent out is that he doesn't believe HE (Southgate) has the ability to organise the players at his disposal including 2 CBs he thinks are England's best 2 CBs, into a 433, which is the best formation for the players England have, including 2 attacking full backs, one of whom is not only brilliant at creating opportunities for team mates in that system, but is also brilliant at making the play and orchestrating attacks from deeper through that and has better defensive stats playing in that system than any of the other RBs Southgate picked in his initial squad, into a successful team that can win the European Championship

Nineteenx
31st May 2021, 09:51 PM
Southgate probably doesn't even know Trent's defensive stats this season playing in a makeshift Liverpool side are better than any of the full backs he's selected, not just the RBs, probably just listens to gobshites like Mills, Upson and Co on Sky Sports and numerous media hack know nothings trot out old cliches completely oblivious to the fact Trent has improved defensive wise considerably, they still talk about him as though it's Trent from when he was first brought into the team

Nineteenx
1st June 2021, 04:42 PM
Looks like common sense prevailing and Trent will be included, he gives us and England something no other full back in World football has, what he does further forward is incredible, better than any other full back in world football, but what he does and offers from deeper in the balls he can play and his playmaking ability is absolutely priceless, he can play balls from there none of the England midfielders can play from deep and what it gives you on the counter and to go from defending to being immediately on an attack you have every chance of scoring from is absolutely made for the forwards and attacking mids England have

Nineteenx
1st June 2021, 05:13 PM
Trent's in and on a point of clarity for Sky, England do not have 4 world class right backs, there's only one in the squad Southgate picked and THAT is Trent

I would not swap Trent for any other RB in world football, because he's the best, by an absolute mile and I absolutely would never move him into midfield, because having a right back with Trent's playmaking and passing ability is simply priceless and gives you incredible options and now we've got 3 CBs in Virgil, Konate and Matip who are all great with the ball as well as being absolute beasts of commanding CBs

That's just brilliant, teams try and press you and you've got 3 players in your back four who can all play passes that are instantly going to see you threatening at the other end

worldpanel
1st June 2021, 05:16 PM
Looks like common sense prevailing and Trent will be included, he gives us and England something no other full back in World football has, the ability to help with warming the bench seats for Gareth Southgate and allow the player two minutes here and there as he is too much of a yes man in a suit.

Fixed that for you...

Crimson Dynasty
1st June 2021, 05:21 PM
Fuck!

I was kind of hoping they went ahead and left him out and spared us the worries of him picking up an injury.

Still holding out hope for an early Ingurland exit or that they sparingly use both him and Jordan.

skyebo
1st June 2021, 05:23 PM
Trent's in and on a point of clarity for Sky, England do not have 4 world class right backs, there's only one in the squad Southgate picked and THAT is Trent

I would not swap Trent for any other RB in world football, because he's the best, by an absolute mile and I absolutely would never move him into midfield, because having a right back with Trent's playmaking and passing ability is simply priceless and gives you incredible options and now we've got 3 CBs in Virgil, Konate and Matip who are all great with the ball as well as being absolute beasts of commanding CBs

That's just brilliant, teams try and press you and you've got 3 players in your back four who can all play passes that are instantly going to see you threatening at the other end
Maybe Southgates read the match day threads, Trent, along with others have took some serious criticism.

Kev0909
1st June 2021, 05:37 PM
If trent could work well with kane it would be brilliant if he did the same as he does here for us, but that's the problem with this england team it's always disjointed never get the best out the players.

against some of the best attackers, I wouldn't play him- but then again if he's beating them back and making them defend- that's not exactly a bad thing better than someone running at walker for example all game.

Steveo
1st June 2021, 05:55 PM
Fuck!

I was kind of hoping they went ahead and left him out and spared us the worries of him picking up an injury.

Still holding out hope for an early Ingurland exit or that they sparingly use both him and Jordan.

Absobloodyexactly... my thoughts too.

miller0863
1st June 2021, 07:47 PM
Hmmmm... so, talk of England maybe using Trent in midfield. Hope they do, I’d like to see how he did there, we’re not exactly over endowed in that area.

If he did move up the pitch, I would definitely look at Brighton’s Tariq Lamptey to take Trent’s place at RB.

Nineteenx
1st June 2021, 09:08 PM
Hmmmm... so, talk of England maybe using Trent in midfield. Hope they do, I’d like to see how he did there, we’re not exactly over endowed in that area.

If he did move up the pitch, I would definitely look at Brighton’s Tariq Lamptey to take Trent’s place at RB.

Why would you ever move the world's best RB? You do realise how absolutely unique and priceless his playmaking ability from RB when deeper is and that gives us options and possibilities no other team has from that position, and why on earth would you want to lose such an incredible advantage

We need to sign De Paul or another top class attacking LCM/RCM not give up a huge advantage we have over every other team pissing about playing a full back in midfield.

The 'Great attacking full back, we should play him in midfield' thing always really annoyed me, part of the reason Trent produces what he does is he gets more time at RB to make the play, when in midfield he'd have less and probably be man marked and he'd be further forward so we'd be automatically sacrificing his playmaking from deep that can see us be under pressure then release a player and score seconds later at the other end, and he gets more time and space and is able to be released as frequently as he is to create further forward because he times his runs and arrives into space from deeper with the opposition mids occupied by our midfielder ahead of him

It's almost as though people don't understand what makes the best attacking full backs so good and that the entire dynamics of why they are so good as an attacking full back change dramatically as soon as they move to starting in midfield

LEGS
1st June 2021, 09:39 PM
I think England will play a back three and use Walker/James as a CB.

HLOGI
2nd June 2021, 07:43 AM

Southgate is definitely going to play 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. Wingback is between Trent and James. RCB between Walker and Trippier. Or Shaw could play LCB and then it will be one of the 4 at RWB. Southgate has gone for versality but in the end it is going to be square in round holes.

If he makes Foden and Mount the main players and uses Grealish enough. With Kane uo top England do stand a chance. But it is down to tactics and right personnel on the day.

Trent is the best of the lot so he would give the quality at RCB. But if he chooses Trippier or Walker they are overhyped and not good enough imo. So too Mings.

The right formation for England should be 4-4-1-1 or 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1
Pickford (he is rubbish but since he is picked)
Trent
Maguire
Stones
Shaw
Hendo
Rice
Mount
Foden
Sterling/Sancho/Rashford
Kane

Coady, Mings, Trippier, Phillips, Lewin are not my cup of tea. Don't think they are international(s) level.

justme
2nd June 2021, 07:51 AM
Calvert Lewin is the only player i rate at Everton the rest of squad is full over priced shit.. that only know how to break bones and damage knees

jozza800
2nd June 2021, 09:46 AM

Yep - this is how I see it as well.

Pickford
Trippier - Walker - Slabhead - Stones - Shaw
Rice - Henderson
Sterling - Kane - Rashford

No real shocks in the squad tbh. Not sure about Southgate's tactics mind.

Think i'd go with -

Johnstone
TTA - Slabhead - Stones - Shaw
Henderson - Rice
Sancho - Foden - Grealish
Kane

skyebo
2nd June 2021, 10:08 AM
Pickford. Walker Stones Maguire Shaw. Henderson Rice. Mount Grealish Sterling. Kane.

eggy81
2nd June 2021, 10:09 AM
Calvert Lewin is the only player i rate at Everton the rest of squad is full over priced shit.. that only know how to break bones and damage knees

Even he’s average at best

skyebo
2nd June 2021, 10:10 AM
Not my choice, just what I think the team will be.

Kev0909
2nd June 2021, 11:22 AM
it's not a bad squad at all for this euros considering all the doom and gloom about england lacking upcoming youngsters years back.

Still under southgate, i'm not sure he knows what he's doing

Steveo
2nd June 2021, 11:37 AM
You never know - might get a joke draw like the World Cup in Russia again. Also Wembley officials like '66?

Think Kane & Sterling - all those penalties - relentless free kicks for dive after dive after dive...

But it's Engerland so we all say nowt.. :D

Law of averages says eventually even a technically deficient side like Engerland can make it. Fitness levels gained from the intensity of playing in the Prem usually carries Engerland further than they should go.. Who knows maybe this time?

Kev0909
2nd June 2021, 11:55 AM
Hopefully sterling doesn't even start

I'd like to see

BigGormz
That german english playing twat that villa wannabe manc scum

but good luck southgate, he's gonna get stick if we don't do well whatever team because people will be saying should of played X Y Z

be interesting to see if he could get mount and foden in the same team too, but I don't see it

skyebo
2nd June 2021, 11:56 AM
You never know - might get a joke draw like the World Cup in Russia again. Also Wembley officials like '66?

Think Kane & Sterling - all those penalties - relentless free kicks for dive after dive after dive...

But it's Engerland so we all say nowt.. :D

Law of averages says eventually even a technically deficient side like Engerland can make it. Fitness levels gained from the intensity of playing in the Prem usually carries Engerland further than they should go.. Who knows maybe this time?

Apart from Hurst none goal in the final, there wasn't any more major decisions that England benefitted from. They should have had a stronger referee for Brazils group , Pele might have stood a chance if they had.

Steveo
2nd June 2021, 12:16 PM
Apart from Hurst none goal in the final, there wasn't any more major decisions that England benefitted from. They should have had a stronger referee for Brazils group , Pele might have stood a chance if they had.

This is a very Englander centric view.

My old fella went to a fair few games at Goodison that tournament - he always said the thing was rigged for England to win and that it was unspoken but pretty much known by many. That doesn’t mean it was but so many stars aligned for the hosts who weren’t really in the top 5 of teams competing.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jul/24/1966-world-cup-final-conspiracy-refereeing-50-years

Also for evidence of Wembleys blatant influence on officials for England games - watch the England Spain game in 96.... It was a travesty.

skyebo
2nd June 2021, 12:26 PM
This is a very Englander centric view.

My old fella went to a fair few games at Goodison that tournament - he always said the thing was rigged for England to win and that it was unspoken but pretty much known by many. That doesn’t mean it was but so many stars aligned for the hosts who weren’t really in the top 5 of teams competing.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jul/24/1966-world-cup-final-conspiracy-refereeing-50-years

Also for evidence of Wembleys blatant influence on officials for England games - watch the England Spain game in 96.... It was a travesty.

No idea about 96 I can't remember but I don't recall any controversial moments regarding England, I saw all the games. Rattin got sent off for the argies and it took him ages to leave the field. Ramsey called them animals, that was putting it mildly.

Steveo
2nd June 2021, 12:50 PM
Made sure all genuine rivals were out of the way. Pretty simple tactic.

Nineteenx
2nd June 2021, 05:53 PM
I'd go 433 Kane drops off a lot, so I don't see any benefit or point to Kane up top as a 1, a great many of his assists for Spurs were in a 3 releasing Son, Moura, Bale, Bergwijn from that deeper position he often picks the ball up in, plus in Trent, Hendo and Mount England have players well capable and practiced at releasing the talented wide/inside forwards early in space or in space through switches

All fit

Prickford

Trent Stones Maguire Chilwell

Rice Henderson Mount

Sancho Kane Foden

Think that's the best use of the players England have, Henderson, Mount, Rice, Sancho, Foden, Trent, Chilwell all very used to playing an aggressive pressing game and looking for the early ball for the quick wide/inside forwards

I think Chilwell has come on a lot under Tuchel and adapted to be a more aggressive pressing defender and moved a level above Shaw and uses the ball better than him and makes better runs

skyebo
2nd June 2021, 06:20 PM
I'd go 433 Kane drops off a lot, so I don't see any benefit or point to Kane up top as a 1, a great many of his assists for Spurs were in a 3 releasing Son, Moura, Bale, Bergwijn from that deeper position he often picks the ball up in, plus in Trent, Hendo and Mount England have players well capable and practiced at releasing the talented wide/inside forwards early in space or in space through switches

All fit

Prickford

Rice Henderson Mount

Sancho Kane Foden

Think that's the best use of the players England have, Henderson, Mount, Rice, Sancho, Foden, Trent, Chilwell all very used to playing an aggressive pressing game and looking for the early ball for the quick wide/inside forwards

I think Chilwell has come on a lot under Tuchel and adapted to be a more aggressive pressing defender and moved a level above Shaw and uses the ball better than him and makes better runs

I don't think it matters what team he goes with, they are not getting near the final.

Kev0909
2nd June 2021, 06:31 PM
It's not that bad of a team though, but southgate........

Kev0909
2nd June 2021, 06:32 PM

All fit

Prickford

Rice Henderson Mount

Sancho Kane Foden

I think i'd go for that team with grealish coming off the bench / covering and sterling...

Nineteenx
2nd June 2021, 07:48 PM
I don't think it matters what team he goes with, they are not getting near the final.

They could do if Southgate is brave, plays a 433 and uses the players as they play at their best for their clubs and just goes for it, better to go for it and look to attack sides and win through your attacking quality than restrict your attacking ability to beat side through overthinking your weaknesses at CB

We were unbeaten in our last 10 League games, playing Rhys Williams and Phillips at CB in the 8 wins and Rhys Williams and Fabinho in the 2 draws, going for it, attacking teams. How Kane played the last 2 seasons, he operates quite like Bobby, but releases the quicker wide forwards better and gets in the box after doing so a lot better and is a far deadlier goalscorer, England have wide/inside forwards of similar quality, you'd have to say the CBs at their disposal are better than the ones we used in that run who were absolutely heroic, Hendo and Trent are both brilliant at releasing the wide/inside forwards and the LCM or LB, Hendo No6 Rice the controller, Mount, Bellingham, Grealish the more attacking and creative LCM, works for me

Nineteenx
2nd June 2021, 08:43 PM
Watching this game, illustrates why I think Southgate should play a 433, no runs in behind, commentators actually all over it, England's 3 in the 4231 constantly coming short and congesting the areas Trent and Trippier use to be found in space, England have NO CHANCE of doing well in the Euros trying to pass through teams and playing a 4231 and having no runs in behind, all too slow, players getting in the way of and in the space of other players, I know it's a warm up, but the formation and tactics and lack of appreciation of the players abilities and the spaces they like/need to operate at their best in doesn't bode well at all

Nineteenx
2nd June 2021, 08:48 PM
Commentators bigging up Prickford's passing (long kicking), but he needs to stop kicking it long like he's playing for the bitters for me and start throwing it quickly to either full back and realise he's not fucking playing for the bitters, he's playing in a team with players who can pass the ball and a lot better than his long hoofs

Nineteenx
2nd June 2021, 08:50 PM
Hope Southgate changes to a 433 at HT and gives most of these players the opportunity of mixing it up between trying to pass through and being more direct WITH players making runs in behind and being able to operate in the spaces they're used to operating in

Nineteenx
2nd June 2021, 08:57 PM
Lol they're slagging Kane off, as I said, he drops off a lot, he's done it for the last 2 seasons, playing 4231 means Grealish and kane are getting in each others space and on top of each other, it's happening all over the pitch in this formation, Lindgard's making Trent's area congested and giving him no space to run into or operate in, Saka is getting in Trippier's space and there are no runs in behind opening the space up either, that first half was a disastrous formation and use of those players

Steveo
2nd June 2021, 09:02 PM
Austria are poor - Trent must surely be capable of doing more?

Hendo - tell them to go to hell and bum this lot off

Nineteenx
2nd June 2021, 09:13 PM
Austria are poor - Trent must surely be capable of doing more?

Hendo - tell them to go to hell and bum this lot off

All the players are all in each others space because of the 4231, not much any of them can do unless Southgate changes formation

Saka scores, England goal on the break, bit lucky all round

miller0863
2nd June 2021, 09:15 PM
I do like young Saka, would like to see us test Arsenal’s resolve there with a serious bid. He’ll waste his career there.

Nineteenx
2nd June 2021, 09:26 PM
So, moving forward, the tactics of England in the Euros look to be, play a 4231 with all the players not able to play as they od for their club sides and getting in each others space, hopefully fluke a goal, then take off Kane for Calvert-Lewin and Prickford to just continually pelt the ball long looking for him playing just like the bitters

Steveo
2nd June 2021, 09:31 PM
Yep - as many have mentioned - Southgate is manager. It’s probably a waste of everyone’s time

Steveo
2nd June 2021, 09:34 PM
In case anyone was wondering why Grealish is off - he has ice on his shins. Resting the leg on the back of the seats / just so we can all see :D

Steveo
2nd June 2021, 09:45 PM
Trent hurt... FFS

Bloody hell: can barely walk.

southernboy
2nd June 2021, 09:45 PM
Get TAA home now.

Nineteenx
2nd June 2021, 09:46 PM
FFS looks like Trent has tweaked something, not sure if it's his thigh or hamstring, bring him home now

southernboy
2nd June 2021, 09:48 PM
Sad for the lad if he misses the euros but better for us. Southgate obviously doesn’t rate him.

miller0863
2nd June 2021, 09:48 PM
Best of both worlds, he was selected so his confidence isn’t dented but now may well get the summer off anyway.

Steveo
2nd June 2021, 09:49 PM
This is the look Hendo should give Gareth... Do this then tell Trent to jump in the car and drive back to Merseyside..

https://youtube.com/shorts/_SRUPJ0NTGs?feature=share

Nineteenx
2nd June 2021, 10:02 PM
Sad for the lad if he misses the euros but better for us. Southgate obviously doesn’t rate him.

I think Southgate rates him, he just doesn't have the coaching and managerial skills to use him most effectively or any of the other players for that matter, no point Trent being there with Southgate playing a 4231, the right player of the 3 was in the spaces Trent uses all game, Prickford didn't once throw it quickly to Trent to make the play, there we no runners in behind, Grealish was in Kane's space most of the game, the 2 in midfield weren't organised, they were all over the place, there was no effective press or counter press, Austria, a rank average side were constantly allowed to release a player either side of the midfield 2 and look to switch it to the opposite flank under no pressure whatsoever

Looks like a thigh strain from the way he pulled his lower leg up behind him, which is a thigh stretch, so need to get him home asap and with our medical team

Crimson Dynasty
3rd June 2021, 12:13 AM
This is exactly what the fuck I meant when I said I was happy he was left off the team, when we initially thought he was.

How about for once take a cue from some of the senior players in your own team like Virgil who's deemed his fitness coming back from injury and the long-term health of his literal playing career more important than going to compete for some tin pot cup competition with national team physios who've nowt a clue about how to deal with your body like your club physios do, and fucking opt out of playing?

Hey Trent!!!

That's God sending you a fucking hint!
TAKE IT!!!

You too, Jordan.
There's nothing there for either of youse anyway.

For fuck's sake!
After the season we've had and after all the COVID infections and all, why would anyone in our team want to do this in their summer?

Nineteenx
3rd June 2021, 01:02 AM
For fuck's sake!

After the season we've had and after all the COVID infections and all, why would anyone in our team want to do this in their summer?

If I were either player I would have issued the FA with notice of my retirement from international football after the 2-2 v the bitters and the FA review of it upholding the VAR officials decisions even though Virgil and Mane were both onside and the footage really very clearly shows Prickford takes his eyes off the ball, focus on Virgil and then proceed quite deliberately to take him out with a 2 footed lunge with no attempt whatsoever to play the ball

Add would have informed them that my retirement was permanent until such time as they addressed the 'anyone but Liverpool' and 'When United do well, we all do well' issues within their organisation, the referees association and the Premier League

Thiago was also injured for a long spell as a result of a challenge by Richarlieson he would never have made had Prickford's challenge been officiating accordingly

Hendo was injured as a result of the referee in the second game against the bitters letting their players persistently commit fouls on our players without punishment or awarding a free kick, Dacoure held and dragged back Henderson for full 10 seconds as he tried to drive the ball forward and the referee did nothing and finally belatedly blew for a foul when he saw the foul he had allowed to continue had cause hendo to pull up injured and bloody Hendo's been working his bollocks off to get fit to represent the FA's England team!

justme
3rd June 2021, 06:41 AM
Bring all our players home.. fk these international shit fixtures and what the hell is happening holding the Copa America in Brazil?.. no way bring them all on home

Steveo
3rd June 2021, 08:06 AM
This is exactly what the fuck I meant when I said I was happy he was left off the team, when we initially thought he was.

How about for once take a cue from some of the senior players in your own team like Virgil who's deemed his fitness coming back from injury and the long-term health of his literal playing career more important than going to compete for some tin pot cup competition with national team physios who've nowt a clue about how to deal with your body like your club physios do, and fucking opt out of playing?

Hey Trent!!!

That's God sending you a fucking hint!
TAKE IT!!!

You too, Jordan.
There's nothing there for either of youse anyway.

For fuck's sake!

Brilliant post CD and totally agree.

shminkyred
3rd June 2021, 09:51 AM
Don't hold back brov...lolol

Insidious
3rd June 2021, 11:39 AM

Depends on the severity of the injury I guess - I (selfishly) wish Trent hadn't been picked - he'd have had recovery time this Summer and would start 21/22 with a fire lit under his ass, the sort of "extra 5%" that rubs off on other players and can see you win 8 games from 10 to lay down a marker that we are League challengers again.

Instead (again, depending on severity of injury) he could be missing part of pre-season, or beginning it with a lot of rust to shake off, nagging doubts about sprinting/turning and so on.

Can't blame a lad for wanting to play for his country of course.

SydneyLFC
3rd June 2021, 11:57 AM
Depends on the severity of the injury I guess - I (selfishly) wish Trent hadn't been picked - he'd have had recovery time this Summer and would start 21/22 with a fire lit under his ass, the sort of "extra 5%" that rubs off on other players and can see you win 8 games from 10 to lay down a marker that we are League challengers again.

Instead (again, depending on severity of injury) he could be missing part of pre-season, or beginning it with a lot of rust to shake off, nagging doubts about sprinting/turning and so on.

Can't blame a lad for wanting to play for his country of course.

Same - it's still a cap for Trent and great experience for a young player to play in the Euros BUT I hope he returns to the club and has a summer on the beach.

Steveo
3rd June 2021, 12:08 PM
Same - it's still a cap for Trent and great experience for a young player to play in the Euros BUT I hope he returns to the club and has a summer on the beach.

Formby :D

SydneyLFC
3rd June 2021, 12:09 PM

lol - great beach and red squirrels.

skyebo
3rd June 2021, 12:25 PM

Haha

Insidious
3rd June 2021, 01:08 PM
lol - great beach and red squirrels.

Any Pine Marten around?

Steveo
3rd June 2021, 01:19 PM
Any Pine Marten around?

Not entirely sure but think you need to get south a bit to the Wirral and North Wales for them there critters.

Insidious
3rd June 2021, 05:39 PM
Not entirely sure but think you need to get south a bit to the Wirral and North Wales for them there critters.

Cheers.

As a general rule, areas where Red Squirrels are recovering have Pine Martens.

Pine Martens eat Red Squirrels, so it looks counter-intuitive on paper, but Pine Martens and Red Squirrels have evolved alongside each other, whereas the Greys just aren't as well-equipped to be alert for them and are heavier, thus don't escape on the absolute skinniest of branches. So the Greys are "sitting ducks" and their numbers go down as the Pine Martens feed, allowing for the Reds to bounce back a little.

Steveo
3rd June 2021, 06:09 PM
Cheers.

Pine Martens eat Red Squirrels, so it looks counter-intuitive on paper, but Pine Martens and Red Squirrels have evolved alongside each other, whereas the Greys just aren't as well-equipped to be alert for them and are heavier, thus don't escape on the absolute skinniest of branches. So the Greys are "sitting ducks" and their numbers go down as the Pine Martens feed, allowing for the Reds to bounce back a little.

Ah yes - I get you.

The greys are just like our owners Sid invaders from across the pond. :D

Steveo
3rd June 2021, 06:13 PM
I'll get me coat..

Insidious
3rd June 2021, 06:39 PM
Trent Alexander-Arnold has been ruled out of Euro 2020 and will depart England’s camp on Thursday night.

A medical assessment earlier in the day revealed that the Liverpool defender, 22, had suffered a grade two quad tear during England’s 1-0 friendly win over Austria.

The scan confirmed the devastated defender’s worst fears and he will now withdraw from England’s squad for the tournament. He faces a recovery period of between four to six weeks.

https://theathletic.com/news/trent-alexander-arnold-injury-england-euro-2020/0pNzOjBULKXb

jr81
3rd June 2021, 06:40 PM
Confirmed that trent will miss the euros. A quad tear. Looks like 4 to 6 weeks recovery. Unfortunate for him.

Kev0909
3rd June 2021, 07:05 PM
Confirmed that trent will miss the euros. A quad tear. Looks like 4 to 6 weeks recovery. Unfortunate for him.

Yep especially after all that drama surrounding him and he proved em all wrong.

he's young though, he'll have plenty of chances to play for england in the future.

Steveo
3rd June 2021, 07:11 PM
Sad for him but means he should make pre season

jr81
3rd June 2021, 07:12 PM
Yep especially after all that drama surrounding him and he proved em all wrong.

he's young though, he'll have plenty of chances to play for england in the future.

My thoughts on if he didn't get selected were as you say, plenty of time on his side. Hopefully now he gets plenty of rest and the injury heals well for the start of pre season.

Crimson Dynasty
3rd June 2021, 07:24 PM
I mean,........duh! (to all this)

Feel bad for the lad, but take the time off to relax, clear your head, get better and get ready for the preseason and next season.
Sure it's a blow, but them Ingerlund numpties have never given a damn about our players or their health anyway.

I hope Jordan also takes the hint that for him, especially, this tournament is just an injury waiting to happen.

CCTV
3rd June 2021, 08:16 PM
Cheers.

Death to them fuckin greys.

Long live the Reds !

CCTV
3rd June 2021, 08:17 PM
Used to work with Red squirrels traversing the High ropes courses, show offs sure but you have to admire them cute fookers.

Steveo
3rd June 2021, 09:51 PM
20 second in - enjoy..

https://youtu.be/E11epT9z1Eg

toshin
6th June 2021, 05:45 AM
I hope Jordan also takes the hint that for him, especially, this tournament is just an injury waiting to happen.

If hendo gets injured we will be in the CB situation again. Yeah we have cms but none with the same skill set now that gini is gone. Unless naby somehow starts playing well and keeps fit.
Anyone know if taka is coming back?

Nineteenx
6th June 2021, 01:14 PM
If hendo gets injured we will be in the CB situation again. Yeah we have cms but none with the same skill set now that gini is gone. Unless naby somehow starts playing well and keeps fit.
Anyone know if taka is coming back?

You're not at all wrong Toshin, Hendo is our best No6, Thiago has now adapted and slotted in at RCM, although I think we still need a more direct attacking RCM as Keita, Oxlade, Minamino and Shaq were supposed to be for certain games, so we absolutely need that player.

Milner can't play lots of games back to back and can't play the controller role to the level that Gini and Hendo can, I expect Hendo to be better in the controller role than Gini because he has a lot more passing wise, but we HAVE to sign another CM who can play the Gini controller role to the same high levels and who offers more passing wise as Hendo does

Gini was also our third No6, both Hendo and Fab have had medium term injuries the past 2 seasons, so there is the potential we could face a situation at some stage in which we are without both Hendo and Fab, hopefully not, but in that eventuality we'd have no No6 and no controller

Our best midfield as it stands, even though hendo's our best No6 is

Hendo Fabinho Thiago

Milner's the only one who provide a pretty high level of cover for 2 of those players although not for the No6 position and he now seems to pick up injuries is he plays 3 games in a row, so we absolutely fucking NEED to bring 2 TWO CMs in during this window or as you state, we could easily end up in the same position with quality CMs that we did with CBs last season, I'd be infinitely more comfortable if Phillips had to play a run of games at CB than I would Jones, Ox, Keita or Minamino playing a run of games at CM