PDA

View Full Version : Mentality monsters

Nineteenx
24th January 2021, 09:15 PM
Need to get back to that playing as many of the group that had that collectively and add even more grit, focus and determination to it and not let ourselves be knocked out of that by VAR.

We used that expression because of winning well and winning when we weren't playing well or winning after various set backs in games, if anything I think the VAR bollocks has knocked it out of the lads a little bit, but rather than feeling sorry for themselves, they should be upping the levels and the focus, be more determined to make every chance and opportunity to create them count and turn more into goals and more determined to work hard than ever for each other and not give VAR the opportunity to take things off us through doing both those things

On the face of it, after losing Virgil, Prickford astonishingly staying on the field and being pegged back twice, the mentality monsters were still in full flow scoring an deserved late late winner, only for VAR to take that away from them unjustly

V Brighton, despite not playing particularly well, we were set for a 1-0 hard fought ground out win, mentality monster style like quite a few against lesser sides last season and VAR took that away from them unjustly again

V West Brom, exactly the same

They need to keep the faith, keep the belief in everything they have done and do and do just a little more to make sure they don't give VAR any opportunity to rob of them of points

No reason they should question their mentality or themselves as mentality monsters in thos 3 results, they were simply robbed, they should be more fired up and determined and monstrous than ever to make sure they don't give them any more opportunities to do it

miller0863
24th January 2021, 09:21 PM
It’s made doubly difficult to maintain that strong mentality when you know your defence is liable to give one away at any minute. Today we should have won that game but we gave two really soft goals away and with Utd’s quality on the pitch, especially at home, they are always going to create at least one proper goal of their own.
If we win something this year it will take a mental strength never before been witnessed.

Kev0909
24th January 2021, 09:25 PM
Klopps not really been this "best manager in the world" that he is in the last 5-6 games

he's off form as much as the players

or does he just have no idea when things go to shit?

teesred
24th January 2021, 10:13 PM
Klopps not really been this "best manager in the world" that he is in the last 5-6 games

he's off form as much as the players

or does he just have no idea when things go to shit?

Its the first hole weve really been in under him. Weve lost finals, just missed out on titles but this is a real jam we are currently in.
The way I look at it is this, we need a defender. Full stop.
If FSG are willing to have the season after being champions a total write off ( which is what this could very well be in a few weeks time) then its on them. No doubt about it. This is not just wanting a player for the sake if it, we pretty much need it to salvage the season.

SydneyLFC
24th January 2021, 10:16 PM
Not sure it goes beyond anything other than injured key players and a makeshift team that's chopped and changed every game. That game was for the taking - if Matip playing never mind Gomez or VDD.

fiordearg
25th January 2021, 01:24 AM
We all could see this was a sh¡t storm waiting to happen regarding the defence. Matip and Gomez are injury prone. Basically VVD getting injured meant we relied on Fabinho to carry the can with rookies. It was madness really the transfer strategy regarding defenders

CCTV
25th January 2021, 01:29 AM
I think mentality monsters is more about sending out the kids and beating Everton, coming back from a 3-0 loss to brace with Origi & Shaq stepping in for Bob and Mo, taking to the pitch and having the right attitude.

Players still have it but the legs and body are lagging.

Steveo
25th January 2021, 01:30 AM
I think mentality monsters is more about sending out the kids and beating Everton, coming back from a 3-0 loss to brace with Origi & Shaq stepping in for Bob and Mo, taking to the pitch and having the right attitude.

Players still have it but the legs and body are lagging.

But some simply refuse to see it. They believe the human body is bionic - immune to stress - fatigue or mental exhaustion. So we better make sure all our first 11 are always fit AND that United - City and others don’t have their squads - often bigger than ours - injury free.

It’s a great tactic :D

CCTV
25th January 2021, 01:36 AM
But some simply refuse to see it. They believe the human body is bionic - immune to stress - fatigue or mental exhaustion. ***So we better make sure all our first 11 are always fit AND that United - City and others don’t have their squads - often bigger than ours - injury free***

It’s a great tactic :D

Midget mentality that Steveo

RedNoodle
25th January 2021, 01:36 AM
We all could see this was a sh¡t storm waiting to happen regarding the defence. Matip and Gomez are injury prone. Basically VVD getting injured meant we relied on Fabinho to carry the can with rookies. It was madness really the transfer strategy regarding defenders

The thing is that it's not just the defence that's an issue. Ever since I joined this forum I've been banging on about us needing a deep squad in terms of both size and quality. We've been far too reliant on a small group of players for far, far too long, which means as soon as one or two are 'missing' (be it physically or in terms of performances) we start struggling.

Until we address this we are going to be inconsistent at best, and we will never get into a position where we are able to consistently challenge for the big prizes year after year, and that's before you factor in that Klopp isn't going to be around forever.

jr81
25th January 2021, 01:51 AM
The thing is that it's not just the defence that's an issue. Ever since I joined this forum I've been banging on about us needing a deep squad in terms of both size and quality. We've been far too reliant on a small group of players for far, far too long, which means as soon as one or two are 'missing' (be it physically or in terms of performances) we start struggling.

Until we address this we are going to be inconsistent at best, and we will never get into a position where we are able to consistently challenge for the big prizes year after year, and that's before you factor in that Klopp isn't going to be around forever.

The squad depth is there except in defence. The quality is questionable.

But looking at our defence, I would say we have 6 senior defenders on the list. That is very poor planning and is catching up with us this season.

RedNoodle
25th January 2021, 01:55 AM
The squad depth is there except in defence. The quality is questionable.

But looking at our defence, I would say we have 6 senior defenders on the list. That is very poor planning and is catching up with us this season.

Really? Up front we have our front three and an injured Jota, and he hasn't been here that long. As for the midfield, we have a few 'functional' players, but in terms of alternatives that can gives some creativity and goals, our cupboard is pretty bare.

jr81
25th January 2021, 01:57 AM
Really? Up front we have our front three and an injured Jota, and he hasn't been here that long. As for the midfield, we have a few 'functional' players, but in terms of alternatives that can gives some creativity and goals, our cupboard is pretty bare.

Like I said, quality is questionable. We have 6 attackers. So depth, yes, quality, meh..

This is where I think the owners could play hardball with klopp and say, u need to ship some out to get more in.

RedNoodle
25th January 2021, 02:03 AM
Like I said, quality is questionable. We have 6 attackers. So depth, yes, quality, meh..

This is where I think the owners could play hardball with klopp and say, u need to ship some out to get more in.

'Depth' is meaningless without quality. If it wasn't we might as well add the tea lady and groundsman to our squad.

We've already shifted on a fair few players, with a few of them raising a decent wedge, hence why we have a net spend of less than £20m per season under Klopp. It's Klopp that should be demanding that FSG back him or he's off, but it seems he's a 'company man', just as most people are these days.

Steveo
25th January 2021, 10:19 AM
Much as I wish he was given more funds - he signed a contract with the club. He will hopefully honour that. I certainly wouldn’t want him speaking of about such things to the press.. would you?

GizmoD12
25th January 2021, 10:28 AM
Depth and quality is nothing without durability, ox matip naby and gomez all fantastic players, but it's no use in modern football. Good old fashion availability is the most important ability in modern football with the amount of games.
Said in another thread the mentality and bodies look weak now , pushed outran and muscled off the ball more times this season than the last 4.

teesred
25th January 2021, 11:01 AM

The problem with that is we end up with reduced numbers and take a huge hit on who we get rid of.
We need to improve the first 11 ith one maybe 2 players and quality of the squad depth but it needs to be gradual.
At the moment I think Klopp is well within his rights to say we've tried to manage and it hasn't worked.
We couldn't have factored in our two best defenders getting season ending injuries.
What we can and should have factored is that Matip can't be relied on and we knew this when Lovren was sold, Fabinho should not be playing a full season there and the 2 young lads are not good enough or too inexperienced.
In my opinion now Matip should not enter the equation. Next season he should either be sold or is at best classed as a 4th option at CB.

vin
25th January 2021, 04:41 PM
The problem with that is we end up with reduced numbers and take a huge hit on who we get rid of.
We need to improve the first 11 ith one maybe 2 players and quality of the squad depth but it needs to be gradual.
At the moment I think Klopp is well within his rights to say we've tried to manage and it hasn't worked.
We couldn't have factored in our two best defenders getting season ending injuries.
What we can and should have factored is that Matip can't be relied on and we knew this when Lovren was sold, Fabinho should not be playing a full season there and the 2 young lads are not good enough or too inexperienced.
In my opinion now Matip should not enter the equation. Next season he should either be sold or is at best classed as a 4th option at CB.

You could argue that we are trying to build that squad depth.

We added Jota and Thiago.
We added Minamino midway through last season
We do need to add some more but it's not an "overnight" process.

The injuries and general fatigue of players has caught up with us. In an ideal world - we could be rotating the front three with Jota and Minamino. Using Ox, Thiago, Gini, Jones, Shaq, Hendo,, Milner, Fab etc in rotation in the midfield - but having VVD, Gomez and Matip out with injuries to other has screwed us.

teesred
25th January 2021, 05:12 PM
You could argue that we are trying to build that squad depth.

We added Jota and Thiago.
We added Minamino midway through last season
We do need to add some more but it's not an "overnight" process.

The injuries and general fatigue of players has caught up with us. In an ideal world - we could be rotating the front three with Jota and Minamino. Using Ox, Thiago, Gini, Jones, Shaq, Hendo,, Milner, Fab etc in rotation in the midfield - but having VVD, Gomez and Matip out with injuries to other has screwed us.

Totally agree. Its just that when these injuries have required that squad depth to be implemented its obvious they aren't upto scratch. Granted its rare that a situation arises where so many are needed at one time but the it still in my opinion highlights our shortcomings.
Klopp clearly doesn't fancy Minamino in my opinion, he's barely had a minute.
I'd class Ox and Keita as deadwood that we would struggle to shift. Players who in the big picture are barely available, contribute very little but cost a fair amount and are on expensive contracts I'd imagine.
Matip being out with injury should be factored in at the beginning of most seasons.

skyebo
25th January 2021, 06:33 PM
If some of the moves came off as often as Matip does, we'd be well on our way to retaining the title.

Steveo
25th January 2021, 06:59 PM
If some of the moves came off as often as Matip does, we'd be well on our way to retaining the title.

That’s a cracker there skyebo....

skyebo
25th January 2021, 07:02 PM
That’s a cracker there skyebo....

lol

Nineteenx
8th March 2021, 04:49 PM
Now, NOW is the time for our lads to show it more than ever before, AND show they can do it without our incredible fans

All of our players should be incredibly energised, focused and absolutely brimming with confidence going into the game v Leipzig, they have a lead, they are playing on a level playing field, where a foul is a foul and it's the same for both sides

They need to look at what they achieved beating Barca 4-0 and in that incredible Europa League clash with Dortmund and know nothing is impossible, with or without the fans, the fans were there, but THEY did it

They need to consider that winning this tie puts them in the quarter finals and they are just 4 games away from the final and that by the time that quarter final comes around they will definitely have our talismanic Captain Fantastic back and possibly, just possibly even Virgil back to and winning this competition for the second time in 3 seasons is absolutely not beyond them

Our manager and team are absolutely incredible, they've been dealt many harsh blows this season, they have let some things get on top of them, it's time to throw all the rubbish that is history out of their minds and pick themselves up, be bullet proof and impervious to all of it and be Liverpool and the mentality monsters again and end this season on a glorious high

And what an opportunity for them to absolutely ram their quality down the throats of all those who have desperately tried and employed every available dirty trick in the book to try and break them and their incredible resolve and run down our manager, our players and this great club, as a fan, and I'm sure I speak for many, I could think of no better repost to the diabolical crap that has gone on this season so far, we can't be there with them in person, but we will all be at home, glued to our televisions willing them on with the same optimism, belief and intensity they have shown us so often through so many great times and performances

Time to show their mentality, get the win in this tie, after which we have a game v Wolves and then a two week break to do all the hard work to get as much of what we do that worked so brilliantly somewhere near back to it's best to end the season on a high and put us back in fantastic shape to land ourselves another Champions League trophy