PDA

View Full Version : Rafa's next job ?

worldpanel
26th January 2021, 09:14 PM
En route back from China, so a few doors opening up for him.
Would he return to Newc ? Ashley still there
Chelsea, still got the fat waiter vibe from the fickle fans, oops too late Tuchel grabbed that one
Liverpool, if for some reason we keep going backward

RedNoodle
26th January 2021, 09:27 PM
Rafa wouldn't work here now, namely in terms of the league. Two of the reasons we didn't win the league under him, and why we started looking like we could miss out on CL football is because we weren't 'attack minded' enough (causing us to drop too many points against 'smaller' teams) and because he wasn't backed by the cowboys.

He would now have to compete with teams such as Man City, and we are currently seeing (City have just gone ahead against WBA) what happens if you drop points in just a few games. That would be bad enough, but with FSG in charge he'd possibly have even less to spend, and he'd yet again end up relying on a very small group of players.

Kev0909
26th January 2021, 09:32 PM
Well rafa wasn't exactly backed, short memories.....

obviously wouldn't be coming here unless he wants to wait years to even apply

Klopps not going anywhere yet..

RedNoodle
26th January 2021, 09:33 PM
Well rafa wasn't exactly backed, short memories.....

obviously wouldn't be coming here unless he wants to wait years to even apply

Klopps not going anywhere yet..

I said he wasn't backed.

ianlfc
26th January 2021, 09:35 PM
If he sits tight no doubt there will be some decent jobs coming up sooner rather than later. The life of a Premier league manager on average is only about 18 months.

Kev0909
26th January 2021, 09:35 PM
I said he wasn't backed.

he wouldn't be worse off under FSG not great but still cmon

CCTV
26th January 2021, 09:40 PM
I'd love to see him here as an assistant to Klopp and general of the youth coaching staff.

RedNoodle
26th January 2021, 09:42 PM
he wouldn't be worse off under FSG not great but still cmon

I'm not so sure about that. The competition is stiffer (if from just Man City alone) and we have owners who operate on a 'sell to buy' and 'as cheaply as possible' basis.

As I keep saying, that for me is one of, if not the main reason why they hired Klopp i.e. being able to be successful without spending much.

LEGS
26th January 2021, 10:28 PM
Rafa should have his eye on Dortmund.

ianlfc
27th January 2021, 08:46 AM
Talking of Rafa,
15 years ago today Rafa signed Robbie Fowler. Arguably on a personal level, one of the best signing we've ever made. I was watching my kids in a swimming lesson when I got a phone call to tell me he'd signed. I honestly couldn't believe it. I had a tear in my eye when I watched SSN with him signing.

RedNoodle
27th January 2021, 09:35 AM
Fowler should never have been sold in the first place. The most 'natural' finisher I've seen.

Balinkay
27th January 2021, 10:09 AM
Did he leave because the Houllier didn't like him? And we already had Owen and Heskey.

jozza800
27th January 2021, 10:48 AM
Talking of Rafa,
15 years ago today Rafa signed Robbie Fowler. Arguably on a personal level, one of the best signing we've ever made. I was watching my kids in a swimming lesson when I got a phone call to tell me he'd signed. I honestly couldn't believe it. I had a tear in my eye when I watched SSN with him signing.

Absolutely! My favourite transfer of the last 25 years.

jozza800
27th January 2021, 10:56 AM
Fowler should never have been sold in the first place. The most 'natural' finisher I've seen.

As good as Robbie was (and he was good!) his legs had totally gone. He wasn't the same player after his injury, he was playing on his 'toes' and never truely looked like he was comfortable out there.

He didnt pull up any trees at either Leeds or City.

I didnt think it was the right at th etime but looking back it, it was a good decision. Much like the Torres transfer.

skyebo
27th January 2021, 01:23 PM
Did he leave because the Houllier didn't like him? And we already had Owen and Heskey.

Fowler and Phil Thompson supposedly had a spat on the training ground, and Houllier took the side of his assistant and just wanted shut of him after that. He was past his best when he came back.

Steveo
27th January 2021, 01:26 PM
Robbie said "If I had a nose like yours Thommo - I really would clean up.." :D

skyebo
27th January 2021, 01:32 PM
Robbie said "If I had a nose like yours Thommo - I really would clean up.." :D

Haha

Balinkay
27th January 2021, 01:50 PM
Fowler and Phil Thompson supposedly had a spat on the training ground, and Houllier took the side of his assistant and just wanted shut of him after that. He was past his best when he came back.

Ah, didn't know that (being quite young at the time and all that). Thanks!

skyebo
27th January 2021, 01:53 PM
Ah, didn't know that (being quite young at the time and all that). Thanks!

No problem Bali.