PDA

View Full Version : Should FSG buy Klopp a Centre Back ?

CCTV
28th January 2021, 11:45 PM
Should FSG buy Klopp a Centre Back ?

miller0863
28th January 2021, 11:57 PM
We all know they should but they won’t because the one or ones good enough will not be available this late in the January window unless we pay double

teesred
29th January 2021, 12:02 AM
Its not even up for debate really.
We don't have one fit first team CB. They should go and buy whoever is planned for the summer. If they don't this season could be done very soon.

Insidious
29th January 2021, 12:03 AM
We all know they should but they won’t because the one or ones good enough will not be available this late in the January window unless we pay double

Loans would be possible.

Aissa Mandi would have 6 months left on his contract and can cover right-back and central defence.

Issa Diop we could probably get in on loan too.

Kev0909
29th January 2021, 12:22 AM
Obviously not, why on earth would we want a CB?

RedNoodle
29th January 2021, 12:24 AM
Obviously not, why on earth would we want a CB?

To give VVD, Matip, Gomez, Fabinho, Jota etc some more company in the treatment room?

teesred
29th January 2021, 12:34 AM
We'll definitely sign one now.
It just remains to be seen who and the level of quality.

RedNoodle
29th January 2021, 12:38 AM
We'll definitely sign one now.
It just remains to be seen who and the level of quality.

It might be worth you waiting by your phone.

teesred
29th January 2021, 12:43 AM
It might be worth you waiting by your phone.

Haha.
We have to. The whole situation will have surely been based around Matip being available for parts of the season, if its ankle ligaments like the alleged reports then thats him done. He can't make 2 games in a row from a broken finger nail so ankle ligaments is game over for him, possibly even for his LFC career.

Hes out of the equation so has to be replaced.
FSG are negligent if not.

RedNoodle
29th January 2021, 12:47 AM
Haha.
We have to. The whole situation will have surely been based around Matip being available for parts of the season, if its ankle ligaments like the alleged reports then thats him done. He can't make 2 games in a row from a broken finger nail so ankle ligaments is game over for him, possibly even for his LFC career.

They've already been negligent on multiple occasions. I can't see them not continuing in the same vein, especially given they've now got a ready made excuse.

southernboy
29th January 2021, 01:01 AM
Mustafi for £20m is close to being done apparently.

Not sure how I feel about it to be honest. I wanted him after seeing him play for Germany a few years back, but was never impressed by him at Arsenal.

Edit: scrub that, I think it’s a wind up.

miller0863
29th January 2021, 01:03 AM
Grief. Will he be any better than Phillips?

Kev0909
29th January 2021, 01:07 AM
LOL I told you, we don't need a CB

not mustafi hahaha

justme
29th January 2021, 01:09 AM
reminds me of the carry on film quote.. mustafa leak

miller0863
29th January 2021, 01:10 AM
Thank fuck for that SB.
Had a scout round couldn’t find it or any semi credible link.

Don’t fancy Upamecano either from Leipzig.

Insidious
29th January 2021, 01:14 AM
Just to add to Mandi and Diop, I think Ferro (Benfica) is available on loan as Galatasaray have been trying to pick him up and Nikola Maksimovic (Napoli) is out of contract this summer as well and thus should be available.

Nineteenx
29th January 2021, 05:33 AM
Haha.

Yeah although i think Matip is class and comfortably the 2nd best CB in the league after Virgil he has to go in the summer as he's just too injury prone, same as Keita who i have no sympathy for whatsoever as his persistent injuries stem from him playing injured at AFCON for no hopers Guinea

LFC-DPG
29th January 2021, 07:36 AM
It will be a freebie like Subotic to fill the gap until summer

RedNoodle
29th January 2021, 07:49 AM
If that or anything similar is expected to 'fill the gap', it would/will be akin to trying to treat an amputation with a sticking plaster.

Then on top of that when the summer window does open, we'll probably do what we've done in recent seasons i.e. sell/get rid of a few players (raising a fair wedge/getting wages off the books), but not using all of that money plus a fair bit extra to fix obvious deficiencies and beef up our squad.

Balinkay
29th January 2021, 08:19 AM
I've always known you're a man of culture, CC. Those poll options are appreciated.

Regarding CBs - I've seen a few reports from sources like The Athletic that the club's scouting department and sports and technical staff all agree we need CBs. I mean... who woulnd't? Apparently targets have been identified but our corporate overlords haven't greenlit any transfer yet. Maybe the fees are extortionate, maybe something else is wrong but it's reportedly clear the club knows we need a CB and is looking for one. Just FSG don't necessarily agree about the cost. :D

jozza800
29th January 2021, 09:43 AM
Mustafi for £20m is close to being done apparently.

Not sure how I feel about it to be honest. I wanted him after seeing him play for Germany a few years back, but was never impressed by him at Arsenal.

Edit: scrub that, I think it’s a wind up.

This is exactly the kind of signing we DONT need. I would rather rely on Phillips and Williams.

I dont think a stop gap is the way to go. We need to sign whoever we had lined up in the summer now.

LEGS
29th January 2021, 09:49 AM
This is exactly the kind of signing we DONT need. I would rather rely on Phillips and Williams.

I dont think a stop gap is the way to go. We need to sign whoever we had lined up in the summer now.

If Mustafi is available for 6 months id take him we need an extra body in the squad.

The problem is our main target is reported to be Konate no chance we get him now.

Diop would be my choice to get now he is young 23-24 and has PL experience.

I just hope Matip injury is a month or so and we get 2-3 games out of him thats being optimistic.

Our season is done in terms of silverware its about finishing 4th now.

shminkyred
29th January 2021, 11:23 AM
Originally I thought no...I thought this would be a great time to build up the youngsters coming thru....However the injuries just keep mounting up and playing the younguns in highly pressurized situations is now doing them more damage than good...

LEGS
29th January 2021, 11:56 AM
We are now down to two fit CBs Williams and Phillips.

Forget Hendo/Fabinho as bit parts they arent CBs its like asking Shane Warne to bowl like Michael Holding.

We need someone in the next few days if not we wont get top 4.

If Hendo gets injured we will have a CB pairing of the above two although I think Robbo would play CB with Tsimikas going LB no way he plays both unless he has to.

GizmoD12
29th January 2021, 12:12 PM
They will do something, buissness model aside, it's financial suicide not too. Think botman will get done,id sell matip in the summer.

southernboy
29th January 2021, 02:14 PM

Forget Hendo/Fabinho as bit parts they arent CBs its like asking Shane Warne to bowl like Michael Holding.

If Hendo gets injured we will have a CB pairing of the above two although I think Robbo would play CB with Tsimikas going LB no way he plays both unless he has to.

When we signed the Greek lad, I'm sure I read that he could play at centre back.

miller0863
29th January 2021, 02:19 PM
Ahh ... wondered why he was injured.

reddownunder
29th January 2021, 02:24 PM

Except Tsimikas is always injured too

reddownunder
29th January 2021, 02:34 PM
Thank fuck for that SB.
Had a scout round couldn’t find it or any semi credible link.

Don’t fancy Upamecano either from Leipzig.

Seems to polarise opinion this lad. Very highly rated by some and described as clumsy and error prone by others. Can't say that I've ever seen him play myself

teesred
29th January 2021, 03:01 PM
Seems to polarise opinion this lad. Very highly rated by some and described as clumsy and error prone by others. Can't say that I've ever seen him play myself

He could end up bang average when stepping up a level. Personally think that Varane is like that. I don't see whats so good about him.

LEGS
29th January 2021, 03:31 PM

I am in agreement with Miller I just dont rate him what ive seen.

Granted im not a scout though !

eggy81
29th January 2021, 03:32 PM
Where’s that monster young lad we had the in pre season that looked like an absolute brick shithouse.

LEGS
29th January 2021, 03:33 PM
When we signed the Greek lad, I'm sure I read that he could play at centre back.

He may have played the odd game at CB I dont know.

I just remember Klopp saying Robbo could play CB if need be.

Lets hope we dont get chance to see that !

Insidious
29th January 2021, 03:49 PM
Where’s that monster young lad we had the in pre season that looked like an absolute brick shithouse.

Koumetio?

Might be a bit early yet.

faridtoxteth
29th January 2021, 05:28 PM
There was a mystique built up around him that seemed to become more hyped up the less we saw of him. then he actually played a game, can't remember who it was against, and we were all a bit 'oops maybe he isn't that great after all'.
Having said that he is young and looks like he could still develop into a useful centre back, he is very dominant in the air and pretty quick. Not great at distribution as i recall

justme
29th January 2021, 05:35 PM
If we get can one outstanding defender out of our youngsters, it will be worth it. Its getting games and proving themselves. So if we do sign a front line defender. They will have to go on loan next season.

eggy81
29th January 2021, 05:40 PM
Koumetio?

Might be a bit early yet.

I can’t remember how old he was at the time was it 16 last summer. I do remember thinking he looked capable though. It seems to be taking longer and longer for young players to get debuts and break through in England these days towards the 90s and early 2000s.

skyebo
29th January 2021, 06:22 PM
I wouldn't count on him bringing one in. We've juggled players about to get through games, and come the summer Gomez and Van Dijk will be fit again, so the need to buy won't be so great. Now was the time to bring one in, and it looks like that aint happening and he will carry on fitting square pegs in round holes until the summer. If his team selections are a message to the owners, they clearly aren't working.

Insidious
30th January 2021, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't count on him bringing one in. We've juggled players about to get through games

I can foresee more juggling yet this season, much as it won't please us.

Henderson has played there and been alright, Fabinho has played there and looked like one of the best in the League.

Robertson has played there for Scotland. Tsimikas has covered there although not with us. Wijnaldum has played there for us, but only once, in a back three - though is tactically astute enough that you could see him being trusted if we were desperate.

Then there's the eyebrow-raising prospect of Firmino going there, as he is tactically astute, decent enough in the air and actually started his career there.

The deck will be shuffled a couple of times this season. Just hoping there is a minor miracle and that Matip's ligament injury isn't too bad.

The main worry for me would be having Williams and Phillips beside each other for a run of games.

Whatever happens, I think the onus now is really going to be on the front three, the midfield three and the full-backs to find their best in terms of keeping the ball, decision-making, chance creation and chance conversion.

It will be tough, but I'd trust this bunch of players and our Manager more than most.

LEGS
30th January 2021, 11:46 AM
I can foresee more juggling yet this season, much as it won't please us.

Henderson has played there and been alright, Fabinho has played there and looked like one of the best in the League.

Robertson has played there for Scotland. Tsimikas has covered there although not with us. Wijnaldum has played there for us, but only once, in a back three - though is tactically astute enough that you could see him being trusted if we were desperate.

Then there's the eyebrow-raising prospect of Firmino going there, as he is tactically astute, decent enough in the air and actually started his career there.

The deck will be shuffled a couple of times this season. Just hoping there is a minor miracle and that Matip's ligament injury isn't too bad.

The main worry for me would be having Williams and Phillips beside each other for a run of games.

Whatever happens, I think the onus now is really going to be on the front three, the midfield three and the full-backs to find their best in terms of keeping the ball, decision-making, chance creation and chance conversion.

It will be tough, but I'd trust this bunch of players and our Manager more than most.

I think id rather Williams/Phillips than Gini or Firmino if honest.

Doing that destroys careers and quite frankly its mental beyond belief.

Not signing anyone is just giving up and gambling on top 4.

If we dont get top 4 we get excuses of no CL money and player X wanted CL football this is not a balancing act as some say it has an impact on our club.

I have defended FSG but this is critical now,I see people saying good in high line pace and good on ball needed that is VAN DJIK there isnt many of them so lower your demands !

Steveo
30th January 2021, 11:51 AM
@LEGS

Probably best to start defending the manager and players over the owners. They need help - they ain’t getting any. It’s a poor joke - from a bunch of bean counters:

Sid would defend them if they sold their mothers to pay for their own cataract treatment.:D

teesred
30th January 2021, 01:50 PM
@LEGS

Probably best to start defending the manager and players over the owners. They need help - they ain’t getting any. It’s a poor joke - from a bunch of bean counters:

Sid would defend them if they sold their mothers to pay for their own cataract treatment.:D

Haha, now thats just mean Steveo lad.

Steveo
30th January 2021, 01:53 PM
Haha, now thats just mean Steveo lad.

I know - just a joke really. Honest

Balinkay
30th January 2021, 01:56 PM
Well to be fair you and Noods would moan if they bought Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe and Haaland and expanded Anfield to 100k seats, so I guess it evens out. :D

Steveo
30th January 2021, 02:12 PM
Erm - not really.

On second thoughts - I would want a target man too - to change things a bit - mix things up a little :D

Insidious
30th January 2021, 02:52 PM
I think id rather Williams/Phillips than Gini or Firmino if honest.

Doing that destroys careers and quite frankly its mental beyond belief.

Not signing anyone is just giving up and gambling on top 4.

If we dont get top 4 we get excuses of no CL money and player X wanted CL football this is not a balancing act as some say it has an impact on our club.

I have defended FSG but this is critical now,I see people saying good in high line pace and good on ball needed that is VAN DJIK there isnt many of them so lower your demands !

I'd rather use Phillips and Williams too - though would be a touch hesitant about using them simultaneously.

Agree wholeheartedly that it does gamble Top Four. It's a concern for us on the outside looking in. All gambles are calculated to some degree and if they do "roll the Dice" on this they really need it to pay off or the proverbial doors won't be getting politely knocked, they'll be being beaten upon.

I do think that if we are bringing someone in they need to be a good "fit" otherwise you might as well just stick to what we have. They don't need to be Van Dijk, but if we bring someone inthat isn't the first or second choice but still finish 5th or 6th we will regret it later on.

This calendar year will be pretty fascinating to watch. I defend FSG a lot as they tick many of the boxes I would want in owners and hopefully the year pans out in such a way that we don't feel let down. They aren't perfect, but I'd much rather them than a Sheikh.

ianlfc
30th January 2021, 02:54 PM
Well to be fair you and Noods would moan if they bought Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe and Haaland and expanded Anfield to 100k seats, so I guess it evens out. :D

That reminds me of the Roy Hodgson summer transfer window 😆😆

LEGS
30th January 2021, 03:22 PM
I'd rather use Phillips and Williams too - though would be a touch hesitant about using them simultaneously.

Agree wholeheartedly that it does gamble Top Four. It's a concern for us on the outside looking in. All gambles are calculated to some degree and if they do "roll the Dice" on this they really need it to pay off or the proverbial doors won't be getting politely knocked, they'll be being beaten upon.

I do think that if we are bringing someone in they need to be a good "fit" otherwise you might as well just stick to what we have. They don't need to be Van Dijk, but if we bring someone inthat isn't the first or second choice but still finish 5th or 6th we will regret it later on.

This calendar year will be pretty fascinating to watch. I defend FSG a lot as they tick many of the boxes I would want in owners and hopefully the year pans out in such a way that we don't feel let down. They aren't perfect, but I'd much rather them than a Sheikh.

We wont get a VVD as there is nobody like him what im saying is people are wanting all the things he is good at.

Diop as an example might not be a world beater but dont forget we can still win the CL that might sound mad but whilst we are in it i'll believe we can win it.

Balinkay
30th January 2021, 03:40 PM
Erm - not really.

On second thoughts - I would want a target man too - to change things a bit - mix things up a little :D

Bring back Carroll! Just saw his goal against Chelsea in the FA Cup final. Clearly there was talent in there...

Insidious
30th January 2021, 03:42 PM
We wont get a VVD as there is nobody like him what im saying is people are wanting all the things he is good at.

Diop as an example might not be a world beater but dont forget we can still win the CL that might sound mad but whilst we are in it i'll believe we can win it.

I think we can get someone in the Van Dijk "mould" though. They don't need to be brilliant, or expensive - just someone who has reasonable passing ability, will compete and has enough recovery pace to not make every counter-attack the stuff of nightmares.

I do think that's a skill-set that's available, rather than buying, say, Mustafi.

Insidious
30th January 2021, 03:46 PM

Sid would provide a contrasting opinion to a narrative viewpoint that holds them in so little regard that folks might Photoshop John Henry having a tug outside a funeral parlour :lol:

teesred
30th January 2021, 03:48 PM
We wouldnt get him but someone like Johnny Evans wokkd be spot on. Hes a good solid prem defender with experience.
Mustafi wasn't a disaster and I'd want something better ideally but I'd be much more confident with him than either of the young lads in on a permanent basis for what remains of this season.
It would only take one bad game for us to regret and get pissed at whatever goes on from now so its pretty much a lose/lose situation that has been brought on by FSG. No doubting that.

Steveo
30th January 2021, 04:13 PM
Sid would provide a contrasting opinion to a narrative viewpoint that holds them in so little regard that folks might Photoshop John Henry having a tug outside a funeral parlour :lol:

Bloody hell Sid - that’s an image nobody wants in their head. Arghhh

Insidious
30th January 2021, 04:36 PM
Just to add on some of the financial "risk v reward" stuff.

Let's look at Konate/Upamecano as they're the linked players we "really" want. We'll go with Upamecano as he is the less injury-plagued of the two.

His release clause in the Summer is £38m apparently. So folks might say that buying him for, let's say, £58m to get him in NOW would make total sense, as they feel the extra £20m to semi-guarantee (in theory) our Champion's League participation (and the subsequent money) would be worth it, especially if we factor in the chance to have a deep European run this season and the subsequent money that would bring. Even if we have the money (let's not do that discussion again just now) why on Earth would Leipzig sell?

They're our opponents in the last-16 of the Champion's League. I see fans of ours discussing the possible loss of tens of millions of pounds if we fail to purchase a centre-back and as a result (it shouldn't all hinge on one transfer to begin with!) and subsequently finish 5th or lower, thus missing out on Champion's League footie for 20/21.

Well, the same applies to other teams. Leipzig would be absolutely mental to risk a short-term windfall of £20m extra when they are only a few points ahead of those outside the top spots in the Bundesliga. They'd be placing THEIR Champion's League qualification in massive jeopardy when they will want to secure their status as a growing club in the eyes of their fans, in the eyes of future coaches, in the eyes of future data analysts (they're an intelligently run club) and in the eyes of future recruited players.

Besides, when it comes to the player in question (we'll say again that it's Upamecano and his release clause for example's sake) why would you move a few months early when you can wait, have more options and as a result of said options, possibly have higher wages? Much as we don't like it, City or United could come in for him and offer a higher wage packet and unless he is hiding a secret affinity for Liverpool or values the possibility of legend status at Liverpool more than short-term financial rewards with City or United (or Pep's coaching at City) he would be wise to sit and weigh up options - especially as he'll be going for arguably lower than market value and thus his agent will rightly try and get higher wages to compensate if he's good at his job.

So all the risk really, depending on the club/player of course, is for the selling club, not for us. Much as we may want it, acquisition could be very difficult - and if we did have a lot of money to throw at the situation (let's pretend we do) and offered Leipzig £70m or something to pry Upamecano away, we absolutely ruin the post-Covid market to our long-term detriment, which only benefits the sugar-daddy clubs out there.

Getting a centre-back that fits how we play, can adapt quickly, for the correct deal that doesn't jeopardise our future is tricky enough, but doing so in a January window that closes imminently makes it all the tougher. If the club get business done I will be absolutely delighted, but we may need to dig deep once more.

Besides, 23 games (all comps) since Virgil's injury and we have conceded 15 goals - so we concede, on average, 0-1 goals per game.

We can overcome that. By getting (even) better at monopolising possession and by having our front three and our full-backs getting back to something like their former selves, plus improving the counter-press, we can grind out enough to get to the Summer, having finished in the Top Four spots and having hopefully reached a Champion's League quarter-final or better.

We really can. From there, things will look a lot better. We definitely need a centre-back and if one doesn't arrive in the Summer it raises enormous questions, but I wouldn't bank on one arriving today or tomorrow.

Steveo
30th January 2021, 05:01 PM
https://youtu.be/TUpnHYcL4o8

CCTV
30th January 2021, 06:48 PM
Just to add on some of the financial "risk v reward" stuff.

Let's look at Konate/Upamecano as they're the linked players we "really" want. We'll go with Upamecano as he is the less injury-plagued of the two.

His release clause in the Summer is £38m apparently. So folks might say that buying him for, let's say, £58m to get him in NOW would make total sense, as they feel the extra £20m to semi-guarantee (in theory) our Champion's League participation (and the subsequent money) would be worth it, especially if we factor in the chance to have a deep European run this season and the subsequent money that would bring. Even if we have the money (let's not do that discussion again just now) why on Earth would Leipzig sell?

They're our opponents in the last-16 of the Champion's League. I see fans of ours discussing the possible loss of tens of millions of pounds if we fail to purchase a centre-back and as a result (it shouldn't all hinge on one transfer to begin with!) and subsequently finish 5th or lower, thus missing out on Champion's League footie for 20/21.

Well, the same applies to other teams. Leipzig would be absolutely mental to risk a short-term windfall of £20m extra when they are only a few points ahead of those outside the top spots in the Bundesliga. They'd be placing THEIR Champion's League qualification in massive jeopardy when they will want to secure their status as a growing club in the eyes of their fans, in the eyes of future coaches, in the eyes of future data analysts (they're an intelligently run club) and in the eyes of future recruited players.

Besides, when it comes to the player in question (we'll say again that it's Upamecano and his release clause for example's sake) why would you move a few months early when you can wait, have more options and as a result of said options, possibly have higher wages? Much as we don't like it, City or United could come in for him and offer a higher wage packet and unless he is hiding a secret affinity for Liverpool or values the possibility of legend status at Liverpool more than short-term financial rewards with City or United (or Pep's coaching at City) he would be wise to sit and weigh up options - especially as he'll be going for arguably lower than market value and thus his agent will rightly try and get higher wages to compensate if he's good at his job.

So all the risk really, depending on the club/player of course, is for the selling club, not for us. Much as we may want it, acquisition could be very difficult - and if we did have a lot of money to throw at the situation (let's pretend we do) and offered Leipzig £70m or something to pry Upamecano away, we absolutely ruin the post-Covid market to our long-term detriment, which only benefits the sugar-daddy clubs out there.

Getting a centre-back that fits how we play, can adapt quickly, for the correct deal that doesn't jeopardise our future is tricky enough, but doing so in a January window that closes imminently makes it all the tougher. If the club get business done I will be absolutely delighted, but we may need to dig deep once more.

Besides, 23 games (all comps) since Virgil's injury and we have conceded 15 goals - so we concede, on average, 0-1 goals per game.

We can overcome that. By getting (even) better at monopolising possession and by having our front three and our full-backs getting back to something like their former selves, plus improving the counter-press, we can grind out enough to get to the Summer, having finished in the Top Four spots and having hopefully reached a Champion's League quarter-final or better.

We really can. From there, things will look a lot better. We definitely need a centre-back and if one doesn't arrive in the Summer it raises enormous questions, but I wouldn't bank on one arriving today or tomorrow.

With all due respect, what a load of horse shit :D

Let's say his release clause is £38mill and that sets his fee. Fair enough. I see the 10-15mill more has crept to £20 mill before ending at a paying £70 million for upamenco, a £32mill overpay as you put it. Have you seen our negotiations to date. No chance were paying much more than his release clause.

What a great example it sets for the post covid market...to play hard ball and not fancifully put an extra £32 mill onto a release clause.
Also a £70 mill fee in itself is at the higher end of world record fees and whilst highly rated hes not in that bracket yet.

Yes we face rb in the next round, yes they are very well off, so let's consider there are other clubs to buy from. After all not every other club is as well placed as them financially.

The bold bit. It is a bit tricky to, but it's not rocket science.
There are a set number of pro centrebacks, fewer of them good enough.
The club has means to finance deals, other clubs can be lured into selling and players heads can be turned with clubs who could accept the reality.
Rinse and repeat for loan moves.

How do you go from picking an example of 2 players, 1 injury prone, at a rather affluent club (£50-70M) who we play next in the CL.... to let's just crack on underlind part

We should beat RB with what we have a available to us. Adding a CB though would be clever for the following rounds and would assist in the game v them.
We have a bit of a race for top4 and a title shot still at play in the premier league. Oh and in the midst of an injury ravaged season, with our ever present Fabinho now out injured, with the hopeful return of Matip lasting a 1st half, Virgil, Gomez, let's not buy a centre back and plod on as if that doesn't increase risk of injury on other players.

CCTV
30th January 2021, 06:55 PM
We are at the point presently, where Williams or Philip's are likely starters and a Hendo injury away from seeing both start or taking Gini, Milner, Robbo for Centreback.

Steveo
30th January 2021, 07:00 PM
1 win in 6 seems enough to keep certain folk happy.

But I’m not moaning :D

ianlfc
30th January 2021, 07:37 PM
I've just had a look and that Konate fella at Leipzig has been injured since the 17th December with no set date for a return.

skyebo
30th January 2021, 07:45 PM
I've just had a look and that Konate fella at Leipzig has been injured since the 17th December with no set date for a return.

He'd fit in well here then.

RedNoodle
30th January 2021, 07:46 PM

So he'd fit right in then?

RedNoodle
30th January 2021, 07:47 PM
He'd fit in well here then.

Great minds eh Sky.

skyebo
30th January 2021, 07:50 PM
Great minds eh Sky.

lol. True though Noods.

SydneyLFC
31st January 2021, 12:04 AM
A CB is probably, next to keeper, the most orthodox role in Klopp's team. I wouldn't be worried about "adaptation" - fitness is probably more key for this team.

ianlfc
31st January 2021, 12:15 AM
West Ham have signed a Danish under 21 centreback. One in one out ?

Insidious
31st January 2021, 12:16 AM
How do you go from picking an example of 2 players, 1 injury prone, at a rather affluent club (£50-70M) who we play next in the CL.... to let's just crack on underlind part

I'm saying a centre-back would be good, that it may be tricky to get one that is worth it and that IF we don't (I hope we do, who wouldn't) get one in, that we will have to find ways of doing so, for which I gave examples.

Wanting something, but being mentally ready to accept circumstances beyond my control, aren't mutually exclusive.

I've put up a few names (can't remember if it was this thread or the January thread, but my post history is easy to access) of folks who would be out of contract this Summer and thus may be attainable. I hope we do business. I have accepted that we might not.

miller0863
31st January 2021, 12:22 AM
Christ on a bike ...

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says Fabinho could be back to face a Manchester City side he believes could run away with the Premier League title.

You know what..? I’d almost take Ramos at this stage.

teesred
31st January 2021, 12:24 AM
Just read that about Fabinho. This season is just one massive bad joke and it keeps going on.

Insidious
31st January 2021, 12:42 AM
Just read that about Fabinho. This season is just one massive bad joke and it keeps going on.

Yeah, not good.

West Ham, Brighton and possibly City to navigate without him isn't really ideal. Honestly, if there is any question mark about the City match, I wouldn't play him, with a view to making damn sure he is 100% for Leicester and as much of the rest of the season as possible.

I've said a couple of times that our job is to hang in there until roughly the 25-game mark and then I trust what's in this side's collective DNA to kick in and we'll get enough to finish 2nd-4th and I really, really hope that's the case.

City aren't free-flowing to their fullest just now and we are a wounded animal, will be an intriguing watch when it comes round.

teesred
31st January 2021, 12:46 AM
Agree, they will be without KDB too so it will be very interesting to see how that pans out.
This CB situation is just ridiculous. I've never known anything like it as an LFC fan, or not that I can remember.

miller0863
31st January 2021, 12:52 AM
Second to City this season will be an incredible effort and underline the the quality within the squad.

Insidious
31st January 2021, 02:00 AM
Benfica have signed Verissimo from Santos - a central defender.

He now joins Otamendi, Vertonghen, Ferro, Jardel, Conti and Tobido - with Tobido currently being in loan from Barcelona.

That's seven bloody centre-backs.

Can we have one please fellas?

CCTV
31st January 2021, 02:17 AM
I'm saying a centre-back would be good, that it may be tricky to get one that is worth it and that IF we don't (I hope we do, who wouldn't) get one in, that we will have to find ways of doing so, for which I gave examples.

Wanting something, but being mentally ready to accept circumstances beyond my control, aren't mutually exclusive.

I've put up a few names (can't remember if it was this thread or the January thread, but my post history is easy to access) of folks who would be out of contract this Summer and thus may be attainable. I hope we do business. I have accepted that we might not.

I believe there are a whole 22 hours till the transfer window closes.

One that is worth it, or a 6 month loan deal with fee for an EMERGENCY would suffice :)

LEGS
31st January 2021, 11:47 AM
I believe there are a whole 22 hours till the transfer window closes.

One that is worth it, or a 6 month loan deal with fee for an EMERGENCY would suffice :)

Closes tomorrow at 11pm mate bit more time yet.

shminkyred
31st January 2021, 11:49 AM
Yeah, not good.

West Ham, Brighton and possibly City to navigate without him isn't really ideal. Honestly, if there is any question mark about the City match, I wouldn't play him, with a view to making damn sure he is 100% for Leicester and as much of the rest of the season as possible.

I've said a couple of times that our job is to hang in there until roughly the 25-game mark and then I trust what's in this side's collective DNA to kick in and we'll get enough to finish 2nd-4th and I really, really hope that's the case.

City aren't free-flowing to their fullest just now and we are a wounded animal, will be an intriguing watch when it comes round.

Agree .....Surviving this Season will make us Stronger next.........

skyebo
31st January 2021, 11:53 AM
Mustafi of Arsenal being mentioned as a last minute possibility on todays gossip column. Could be lazy journalism of course.

justme
31st January 2021, 11:56 AM
Mustafi of Arsenal being mentioned as a last minute possibility on todays gossip column. Could be lazy journalism of course.
Like the link with Declan Rice? weird how we were playing them next and that story appeared

skyebo
31st January 2021, 12:01 PM
Like the link with Declan Rice? weird how we were playing them next and that story appeared

That's right, it happens a lot.

teesred
31st January 2021, 04:02 PM
Pearce has tweeted that we are working on a number of possibilities and would be surprised if we dont get a deal over the line.

CCTV
31st January 2021, 04:11 PM
Closes tomorrow at 11pm mate bit more time yet.

Oh yeah, 46 hours at my time of posting, not 22.

Nineteenx
31st January 2021, 04:52 PM

I'd like to see us sign Rice in the summer, it will be expensive, but I think he'd be a very good fit and become a top player working with Hendo

CCTV
31st January 2021, 04:54 PM
I'd like to see us sign Rice in the summer, it will be expensive, but I think he'd be a very good fit and become a top player working with Hendo

Not Klopp, Hendo must think hes bigger than the club !

teesred
31st January 2021, 06:21 PM
Ben Davies from Preston. Anyone seen him play?

fiordearg
31st January 2021, 10:59 PM
Ben Davies from Preston. Anyone seen him play?

Reports we've a bid in

CCTV
2nd February 2021, 12:21 AM
Note to self include an option for buying 2 !

Bought 2 centre backs, evermore needed as Matip is declared out for the season.
A big miss.

An English championship proven left footer who can play either berth allegedly.
Looks like a cross between vardy and kane (simulation optimistic:)), Preston fans sad to see him leave.
129 games in championship, 2 goals 3 assists.

Ozan Kabak a Turk from Schalke and reportedly recommended to Klopp by contacts and a longer time target.
Schalke having a dire season, the highly rated up and comer, Kabak turning 21 soon, has 55 games in the bundes league scoring 6 assisting 1.

2 great opportunities taken, both backing themselves to play at Anfield.
Over to Klopp to bring it all together :)

redebreck
2nd February 2021, 07:53 AM
Note to self include an option for buying 2 !

Bought 2 centre backs, evermore needed as Matip is declared out for the season.
A big miss.

An English championship proven left footer who can play either berth allegedly.
Looks like a cross between vardy and kane (simulation optimistic:)), Preston fans sad to see him leave.
129 games in championship, 2 goals 3 assists.

Ozan Kabak a Turk from Schalke and reportedly recommended to Klopp by contacts and a longer time target.
Schalke having a dire season, the highly rated up and comer, Kabak turning 21 soon, has 55 games in the bundes league scoring 6 assisting 1.

2 great opportunities taken, both backing themselves to play at Anfield.
Over to Klopp to bring it all together :)

Big spending FSG. One CB £2 million, the other on loan. FFS, Parry.

justme
2nd February 2021, 08:31 AM
Its like a number 9 bus.. you wait for ages and 2 come along at once

Insidious
2nd February 2021, 09:20 AM
Kabak will want to impress and to get the chance at a top team rather than possibly get relegated with Schalke.

Hope he plays out of his skin when he gets the minutes.

Balinkay
2nd February 2021, 09:38 AM
Let's hope so... but I'm not holding my breath. Not entirely sure why - just don't feel good about him.

If anything, I'm more hopeful for Davies.

Insidious
2nd February 2021, 09:41 AM
Here's an analysis on Kabak for you Bali - written in September - https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/ozan-kabak-next-step-liverpool-leicester-2019-20-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

Steveo
2nd February 2021, 09:42 AM
Let's hope so... but I'm not holding my breath. Not entirely sure why - just don't feel good about him.

If anything, I'm more hopeful for Davies.

You what - not sure..?

In the words of Sid’s Richard the turd - “You’re avin a Turkish..!” :D

shminkyred
2nd February 2021, 09:44 AM
Thank God Matip didn't wait till next Week to get injured......

Steveo
2nd February 2021, 10:15 AM
https://youtu.be/TS3xU7uWkpU

Nineteenx
2nd February 2021, 11:36 AM
Pretty happy with our acquisitions, Davies looks to exxhibit all the vqualities you'd want in a CB in our set up, getting him Premier league fit, on the same mental level as our other lads and to quickly acclimatise to the speed of the Prem is the challenge, really hopeful he can be another Robbo success story

Haven't seen anything of the other lad, we've been tracking him for 2 or 3 years though and retained our interest, so surely that's a good indicator, the slight concern is his nationality, throughout my life watching football they've always seen to have perhaps a little too much of that continental fiery temperament to them, he did leave their leagues very young though

faridtoxteth
2nd February 2021, 05:37 PM
Some pundits who have been watching Davies are comparing him in style to Daniel Agger, with all the pros and cons that implies. i think they mean he is comfortable on the ball and he can bring it out of defence.
Let's hope they don't mean he gets easily bullied by Didier Drogba.

skyebo
2nd February 2021, 06:56 PM
Some pundits who have been watching Davies are comparing him in style to Daniel Agger, with all the pros and cons that implies. i think they mean he is comfortable on the ball and he can bring it out of defence.
Let's hope they don't mean he gets easily bullied by Didier Drogba.

Or that he's made of glass, we have enough of those already.

dicko1969
2nd February 2021, 08:56 PM
"Liverpool are a high-pressing side, their centre-backs, or at least van Dijk, do not attempt to press their opponents regularly, which is a noticeable difference between van Dijk and Kabak. Also, the Dutch international is generally less active defensively, which makes sense for a dominant Liverpool side. In a Liverpool side, one can imagine that Kabak’s defensive actions would drop and his passing stats to rise dramatically. Liverpool tend to mix their possession play with a fair few long balls, and Kabak has good aim when hitting upfield, which would allow him to make an immediate impression at the Kop.

At just 20 years old, Kabak is one of the highest-rated young defenders in Europe and would represent a worthy gamble, where he would hope to become a regular partner alongside van Dijk. Upon arrival, he would need to be coached into being less active on the defensive side, improve his levels of concentration, and be more measured on the ball, but he has the physical and technical profile to do so. Nonetheless, Kabak has stepped up to the plate at every opportunity he has been given thus far, and he profiles well as a defender who would flourish in leagues that favour high-tempo playing styles. Kabak, on paper, would prosper in the combative environment of the Premier League, and it is tricky to identify a critical flaw that could hinder him from becoming one of Europe’s best defenders"