PDA

View Full Version : Cody Gakpo

shminkyred
27th December 2022, 12:37 AM
all over the news tonight..... What are you thinking?

Looks great on this reel:pride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbeqWha4TTA

miller0863
27th December 2022, 12:48 AM
He does indeed, cheers shminky.

dicko1969
27th December 2022, 12:55 AM
Left foot
Right foot
Pace.
Maybe we are selling Nunez lol

scientificred
27th December 2022, 01:24 AM
Deal agreed .heard it on sky.
Must be true.

scientificred
27th December 2022, 01:28 AM
No fee revealed but record for PSV transfer apparently.
Wonder if that means no to Bellingham or Enzo or Amrabat.

faridtoxteth
27th December 2022, 01:30 AM
Well we still need two midfield players

scientificred
27th December 2022, 01:31 AM
Initial fee reported to be £37m

scientificred
27th December 2022, 01:39 AM
Surprise signing.
Joining immediately.
Never heard of him before WC.
Age 23
Got a decent strike record of about 1 goal in every 3 games for both club and country.
As mentioned elsewhere, very tall for a winger at 6'4"

Insidious
27th December 2022, 02:05 AM
Maybe we are selling Nunez lol

Know you're (probably) joking but if we don't renew Firmino and are left with Salah, Jota, Diaz, Núñez, Gakpo and Carvalho, then Salah would be our only attacking player in the 30-and-up bracket.

That would be an excellent platform upon which to build on the attacking sense - buys us a lot of time.

Get midfield sorted and things would start looking rather bright for the squad again.

justincredible
27th December 2022, 02:43 AM
Great news, if very surprising. We were linked with him before, was it last year?

justincredible
27th December 2022, 02:52 AM
Now, the bigger job awaits, for signing a couple of much needed new physios...

Gurthers
27th December 2022, 02:54 AM
Interesting news indeed. Do you reckon we might convert him to central midfield? I haven't watched him play too often admittedly.

Or is he definitely a forward only? With Diaz/Jota having long term injuries this would make sense. I just hope it's not instead of a midfielder.

Gurthers
27th December 2022, 02:55 AM
Now, the bigger job awaits, for signing a couple of much needed new physios...

Absolutely! Something needs to be done about these constant serious injuries.

3underpar
27th December 2022, 03:12 AM
He is very good. Thought he was headed to the mancs. Spoiled with wingers we are, need mids though.

Redcafe probably melting down lol

Steveo
27th December 2022, 09:15 AM
Can’t have too many attacking options imo. Looks a good signing. Slight concern that Diaz’s knee and Jota’s persistent lay offs might have been a factor. Becoming very reactionary of late aren’t we…

Hope Fernandez to the filth hasn’t been made more inevitable though.

Insidious
27th December 2022, 09:47 AM
Interesting news indeed. Do you reckon we might convert him to central midfield? I haven't watched him play too often admittedly.

Or is he definitely a forward only?

One of the journos (I think I put a quote up before sleep last night, was drowsy) has suggested he was meant to be a Summer buy (the one to come, not the one just gone) but that action from another Premier League club forced our hand - like Spurs bidding for Diaz.

That doesn't seem unlikely. Then when you consider that Jota is out, Diaz is out and Firmino has an issue - all at a time when we are about to have a lot of fixtures - it makes sense.

We can't play Núñez and Salah for 90 minutes of every match in all comps - imagine losing Núñez while Firmino, Jota and Diaz were out as well. We need goals to qualify for the Champion's League and acquiring strength in depth to try and secure us getting that done seems a reasonable move - and certainly better than the Kabak/Davies/Arthur strategy.

In terms of the 23/24 season it will be nice to enter it with Gakpo having had some time with the side. Hopefully less adjustment required in the Summer - any incoming midfielder would need to gel but we would hopefully be relatively stable in attack and defence.

It looks a good long-term move. Age profile of our attackers will be excellent now. A quick mention on his height as well - we have a few players that aren't the tallest. Having another Giraffe for the defending and attacking of set-pieces is an intriguing prospect. I wouldn't want to be a defending side with Matip, Van Dijk, Gakpo and Núñez all in the box on a corner.

Insidious
27th December 2022, 09:51 AM
He is very good. Thought he was headed to the mancs.

If he was and we have scuppered their January transfer plans then all the better. If we take the stance that Man City, Arsenal and Newcastle are finishing in the Champion's League spots then we're essentially in competition with Spurs, Chelsea, Man United and maybe Brighton this season. We obviously would rather be challenging for the Title but finishing in the Top Four at expense of rivals can only be a good thing.

justincredible
27th December 2022, 09:52 AM
I didn't watch any of the WC, but read that Codes van Gakpo was played all along Holland's forward line in their games in Qatar. Can anyone here verify this?
I've also read this regarding PSV Eindhoven too, and that this season he has sometimes been used as a CAM. Which is good to know...

eggy81
27th December 2022, 11:21 AM
I don’t think he’ll play as a winger. Think he’ll play centrally for now at least until Diaz gets back and we have to make a choice between him Nunes and Gakpo for 2 positions. I bet we have designs on making an attacking mid out of him. He seemed to play deep at times for Holland

Insidious
27th December 2022, 11:25 AM
I don’t think he’ll play as a winger. Think he’ll play centrally for now at least until Diaz gets back and we have to make a choice between him Nunes and Gakpo for 2 positions. I bet we have designs on making an attacking mid out of him. He seemed to play deep at times for Holland

I mean, Wijnaldum was a forward for a time. Who knows.

Still think he'll be an attacker but let's see!

ianlfc
27th December 2022, 11:39 AM
Our old mate Mark Goldbridge has went into meltdown on his YouTube Channel over this 🤣🤣🤣

southernboy
27th December 2022, 11:52 AM
Welcome to United… oh wait :o

Snatching him from under their nose makes it sweeter. VvD obviously a big influence. Fingers crossed he works out.

Now let’s sign a midfielder that’s not Arthur.

scientificred
27th December 2022, 12:21 PM
I didn't watch any of the WC, but read that Codes van Gakpo was played all along Holland's forward line in their games in Qatar. Can anyone here verify this?
I've also read this regarding PSV Eindhoven too, and that this season he has sometimes been used as a CAM. Which is good to know...
I cannot be too sure without re-watching those WC games but I thought LVG put him in central midfield.

justincredible
27th December 2022, 01:02 PM
Welcome to United… oh wait :o

Snatching him from under their nose makes it sweeter. VvD obviously a big influence. Fingers crossed he works out.

Now let’s sign a midfielder that’s not Arthur.

The Mrs fell asleep early last night, so I switched off the TV and had a snoop on Red Cafe and Blue Moon.
The amount of them saying Gakpo was costing us £50m and that we paid £100m for Juandy Carroll. Aw c'mon Mancs, we all know you been spoiled somewhat, but adding on ridiculous amounts of millions to a rivals transfer program to make yourselves feel a little more smug about things, well, that's just pathetic. These figures were being quoted across pages on their forums, bwahahahahaha....
Wasn't it someone on here (Sid?) that broke down the Haaland deal over the 5 years. Even though the initial transfer fee to Dortmund was good value in today's market. The total outlay of transfer fee, agents fees, other various fees and his wages, etc. The total outlay over the 5 years is £370m....
The City fans are quick to forget that when they're slagging other less rich clubs off for splashing out on a transfer for a decent player....
These guys discount millions, even tens of millions like they're tenners. Hahahaha...

miller0863
27th December 2022, 01:02 PM
Not saying Utd are utter shite at transfers because of

Wan-Bissaka £50m
Anthony £80m
Maguire £85m
Sancho £75m

Well not just that because we also pinched from under their noses
Fabinho
Diaz (Spurs also)
Núñez
Thiago

But not even just that, did you know that Cody Gakpo has the same agent as Manchester Utd manager Eric Ten Hag??

You couldn’t make it up!!!

justincredible
27th December 2022, 01:05 PM

Wan-Bissaka £50m
Anthony £80m
Maguire £85m
Sancho £75m

Fabinho
Diaz (Spurs also)
Núñez
Thiago

But not even just that, did you know that Cody Gakpo has the same agent as Manchester Utd manager Eric Ten Hag??

I'd say Big Virg had a nice chat with Cody over a Horlicks whilst out in Qatar. Hahahaha... It's just too good...
Big Virg was singing his high praises out there. They knew, the knew, lol...

justincredible
27th December 2022, 01:07 PM
Our old mate Mark Goldbridge has went into meltdown on his YouTube Channel over this 🤣🤣🤣
Did I read somewhere that MG isn't actually a Man Utd fan. Or was that maybe an internet troll..?

miller0863
27th December 2022, 01:17 PM
No he is definitely a Utd fan.

Fabrizio Romano:
The Italian journalist Tweeted: ‘Cody Gakpo has agreed a six year deal with Liverpool, same as Darwin Nunez last summer. All clauses have already been approved. 🔴🇳🇱 #LFC
Guaranteed fee: £37m’.

ianlfc
27th December 2022, 01:18 PM
Did I read somewhere that MG isn't actually a Man Utd fan. Or was that maybe an internet troll..?

He's definitely a Utd fan. I actually quite like him , a proper fan who's slightly unhinged when things go wrong at his club.
No different to most on here !!

ianlfc
27th December 2022, 01:19 PM

Wan-Bissaka £50m
Anthony £80m
Maguire £85m
Sancho £75m

Fabinho
Diaz (Spurs also)
Núñez
Thiago

Same agent ? That's mad, God knows what he's told him about Utd.

ianlfc
27th December 2022, 01:20 PM
I'd say Big Virg had a nice chat with Cody over a Horlicks whilst out in Qatar. Hahahaha... It's just too good...
Big Virg was singing his high praises out there. They knew, the knew, lol...

Big Virgil signed 5 years ago to the day.

justincredible
27th December 2022, 01:30 PM
Big Virgil signed 5 years ago to the day.

He's been decent...

justincredible
27th December 2022, 01:41 PM

Wan-Bissaka £50m
Anthony £80m
Maguire £85m
Sancho £75m

Fabinho
Diaz (Spurs also)
Núñez
Thiago

From Red Cafe... Can't even get their own players transfer fees right. But hey, what's £5m......

Sounds like they got him for £37 million, too. Thirty fecking seven! We paid £45 mil for Aaron Wan fecking Bissaka, for feck's sake. I can't even...

Insidious
27th December 2022, 02:02 PM
From Red Cafe... Can't even get their own players transfer fees right. But hey, what's £5m......

Sounds like they got him for £37 million, too. Thirty fecking seven! We paid £45 mil for Aaron Wan fecking Bissaka, for feck's sake. I can't even...

Serves them right for inflating the market for years.

faridtoxteth
27th December 2022, 05:15 PM
Can't see him playing as a ten or an attacking midfielder. My instinct says those kind of players shouldn't be too tall, so that they can turn quickly and a low centre of gravity suits that. Am i wrong? You tell me.
People saying they are surprised that the Dutch connection with Ten haag wasn't brought to bear. But we have a Dutch manager too. Think he just brought out a book explaining everything about the club and how we play. i bet he was on the phone to Gakpo a few times.
As for Gakpo himself, i think he has been brought through because of the injury to Diaz, which is where i think Gakpo will play. I haven't seen much of him. Big lad. Are we turning into Tony Pulis's land of the giants team, the one that Klopp was furious about?!

teesred
27th December 2022, 06:23 PM
Pleased about this signing. Looks very good from what I've seen and looks to be the typical Klopp signing in terms of his profile. He's grounded and isn't a "big I am" etc.
Hope we bring a midfielder in too, I think it'll be Amrabat.

ianlfc
27th December 2022, 07:11 PM
In comparison Wolves have just bought the Brazilian Cunha for close to £50 million. 23 year old , 6 goals in 40 appearances.

dicko1969
27th December 2022, 07:26 PM
Not very prolific in his career anywhere so far.

dicko1969
27th December 2022, 07:28 PM
Conflicting stories some saying Cunha up to £35m or up to £44m

shminkyred
27th December 2022, 09:06 PM

Lolololol

justincredible
27th December 2022, 09:43 PM
Lolololol

Oh shminky me lovely, it gets better. This was posted literally 6 or 7 comments after the one I posted from Red Cafe earlier today....

Right, and their director of football said that much just a week ago, but couple things

1. We all know we would have paid more than what 'Pool got him for
2. How the feck are we not paying 35mil for a forward we desperately need, where there are not many available? It's NOT a lot of money!

"It's NOT a lot of money!".... eh, spoiled brats much, lol...

Taksin
27th December 2022, 10:59 PM
"It's NOT a lot of money!".... eh, spoiled brats much, lol...

Quite a lot of that on this forum!

justincredible
28th December 2022, 06:06 PM
For those who love their stats...

https://twitter.com/1968tv/status/1607817133106552832

Kev0909
28th December 2022, 06:22 PM
Will be interesting to see how he does with Nunez and salah creating space for him, exciting

(Normally diaz too but injured obvs)

Bit odd he plays in Diaz's position though, but I guess we're not spending 70m and diaz is out atm...

Maybe we can make him good on the right too.

justincredible
28th December 2022, 10:34 PM
Shirt in hand. Done....

https://youtu.be/jMx76pTEFBI

dicko1969
28th December 2022, 11:27 PM
For those who love their stats...

https://twitter.com/1968tv/status/1607817133106552832

About Joe Corrigan

miller0863
29th December 2022, 01:08 AM
The photo of him holding his Liverpool shirt already has over 802.000 likes on Instagram

dicko1969
29th December 2022, 03:45 AM
And the worldwide 'supporters ' as far wide as Asia, Africa THE itk will call him the new Dirk Kuyt if he hasn't got 15 goals in 3 games.

justincredible
29th December 2022, 12:17 PM
Good article from the BBC on Cody...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64108503

Daffydd
29th December 2022, 12:24 PM
"He has previously admitted to working on his game with his father in local parks when time allows, such is his dedication to his development." NineteenX likes this

miller0863
29th December 2022, 12:35 PM
Excellent piece indeed Justin. I do like to hear about players doing plenty of additional work on their game, unless you think you are perfect why wouldn’t you??

And he works on creating 10 chances a game… now that I like. He will find that much harder in the Premier League but then he will have much better players around him too so not impossible.

Exciting times for our squad at the top end of the pitch, such a pity we have a championship midfield still.

Insidious
29th December 2022, 12:39 PM
Would be absolutely brilliant if he clicked with Núñez and Salah nice and quickly - also hoping we score a few more from corners now. Gakpo doesn't even have to be the one heading them in - simply having another tall presence in the box (Matip, Van Dijk, Núñez, Henderson) will cause the opposition problems.

miller0863
29th December 2022, 12:44 PM
The pace we have up front now is absolutely ridiculous, when we concede a corner the opposition had better not over commit or they are screwed.
In fact any time they have possession in our half, when we win it back we are going to have so many options to hit the spaces in behind their CB’s.

ianlfc
29th December 2022, 02:54 PM
And don't forget Mbappe !!

scientificred
29th December 2022, 03:58 PM
"He has previously admitted to working on his game with his father in local parks when time allows, such is his dedication to his development." NineteenX likes this
And where is 19x?

miller0863
29th December 2022, 04:03 PM
Were mirrors involved?

scientificred
29th December 2022, 04:31 PM
Not very prolific in his career anywhere so far.
Think he was joint top scorer in WC operating as cam together with depay.
Holland did not have a recognised striker.
And deployed mostly as winger for PSV averaged 1 goal per 3 games.
Not bad.

miller0863
29th December 2022, 04:36 PM
Think dicko was referring to Wolves target, Cunha.

scientificred
29th December 2022, 04:44 PM
Think dicko was referring to Wolves target, Cunha.
Ok, my mistake!

dicko1969
29th December 2022, 06:06 PM
hybrid' winger
Both physically and stylistically, there are similarities with former France and Arsenal star Thierry Henry - a hero of Gakpo's growing up, and somebody he still watches on YouTube.

The 6ft 4in player is strong and technical, built more like a striker, but also has the pace and control required to play out wide.

"English football is faster, a higher level," says Vrielink. "He has to adapt and that takes time, but I'm convinced he'll be a success.

"He played some games as a striker at PSV, [but] not many. He is taller than most players, but with his touch and dribbles he can be really efficient.

"He has a good shot range. He is a different type of winger to what Liverpool already have."

Dutch journalist Elko Born told the Football Daily podcast that Gakpo has all the traits to change his game in a tactically fluid environment - like that created by Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp.

"People say they see him evolving into a number nine in the future, partly because of his physicality," said Born.

"He can play with his back to goal. He is a complete player and that is attractive. We saw at the World Cup that he is ready to make the next step in his career."

Kev0909
29th December 2022, 06:06 PM
The pace we have up front now is absolutely ridiculous, when we concede a corner the opposition had better not over commit or they are screwed.
In fact any time they have possession in our half, when we win it back we are going to have so many options to hit the spaces in behind their CB’s.

Yep very exciting, we really need to have a plan "b"

If we're in a final for example, instead of dominating the ball and doing nothing which happens sometimes, if against a good team play for the quick breaks, win back possesion and go go go. I do feel like we need to change it up sometimes, which is the only negative I have with Klopp and questionable subs/ timings in the games too but i think he's getting better at that

Having a Xabi or another master passer in midfield would be very fucking deadly

dicko1969
29th December 2022, 06:13 PM
Diaz first injury
Firmino niggling injuries
Jota always flicking injured.

Insidious
31st December 2022, 10:03 PM
https://youtu.be/p35FvoNb1gc

miller0863
21st January 2023, 03:38 PM
Wow.
Come back Bobby, Jota and Diaz asap please.

justme
21st January 2023, 03:40 PM
Not seen any change of pace in him yet.. he needs something. You can't get away with being slow across the ground not up front.

eggy81
21st January 2023, 03:42 PM
He’s shite so far. Has to be more to him

Insidious
21st January 2023, 03:47 PM
He’s shite so far. Has to be more to him

Think we will see more in time - look at it from his side - imagine being dropped into a Liverpool side performing as poorly as we currently are and being tasked with slotting into a side that is totally out of form, rhythm, chemistry and confidence.

eggy81
21st January 2023, 03:49 PM
Think we will see more in time - look at it from his side - imagine being dropped into a Liverpool side performing as poorly as we currently are and being tasked with slotting into a side that is totally out of form, rhythm, chemistry and confidence.
Yep true. Is amazing how even the smallest details seem difficult for us. It’s as if every pass is slightly under hit or misdirected. Every touch unsure and every reaction a millisecond or 10 slow. Mad to watch unfold in front of your eyes on a weekly basis.

Gurthers
21st January 2023, 04:02 PM
I don't understand this signing 😕

justme
21st January 2023, 04:03 PM
I think Gakpo was bought in a Firmino kind of roll to hold up play as a false 9. Nunez will probably start on the left when he plays along side him. I wouldnt have an issue with Elliot playing in the Salah role. when we rest Mo. I don't think hes good enough in midfield. Time will tell if Gakpo gets enough goals. That was always my gripe with Bobby..

dicko1969
21st January 2023, 05:22 PM
Not seen any change of pace in him yet.. he needs something. You can't get away with being slow across the ground not up front.

Yep looks very one paced.
Saw him at the wc and thought what's everyone raving about ?
I hope he comes good.
He has to come good.
Like said , best suited at no9 .
No pace for the wing.

I think Darwin is better suited out wide, pace, and attack full backs. Plus he is good in the air for 2nd post crosses.

Will be great when we have

Jota Diaz Firmino Darwin Salah Gakpo Carvalho Elliott Doak options

Could we see Gakpo as a no8 ?

Certainly not a winger. Not in a klopp team.
We'll see.

ianlfc
22nd January 2023, 09:24 AM
Awful start to his Liverpool career, found it strange Jurgen kept him in the middle when Darwin came on who went on the left.

Kev0909
22nd January 2023, 01:45 PM
Hopefully Madueke doesn't turn out to be the better signing..

Give him time, he showed something in world cup and has good stats previously

doesn't help it's a shitshow around him at the moment

scientificred
22nd January 2023, 02:53 PM
Gakpo was a LW for his club and apparently his favoured position.
In the WC LVG asked him to play as something of CAM together with DePay.
Holland had no recognised striker.
I think Gakpo was maybe joint top scorer in WC.
He apparently is very fast.

Kop On Portugal
22nd January 2023, 04:29 PM
Give time to lad. He come on middle of a season when Liverpool are struggle a lot, not only on attack. He Como to a team that are lacking consistency and quality so it's almost impossible he makes the same impact than Luis Diaz last January because we are on a lot worse situation thank last year

scientificred
22nd January 2023, 04:30 PM
Give time to lad. He come on middle of a season when Liverpool are struggle a lot, not only on attack. He Como to a team that are lacking consistency and quality so it's almost impossible he makes the same impact than Luis Diaz last January because we are on a lot worse situation thank last year
Absolutely KoP

miller0863
22nd January 2023, 07:52 PM
Apparently as he walked off the pitch yesterday Gakpo was heard to say “fuck for this…”

Daffydd
22nd January 2023, 08:03 PM
He gets us.

Insidious
22nd January 2023, 08:07 PM
Apparently as he walked off the pitch yesterday Gakpo was heard to say “fuck for this…”

Wouldn't blame him. Had landed smack bang in the middle of a disjointed, low-on-confidence mess and we're having to aim to grind out wins via tightening up at the back rather than being a dominant, attacking force.

But we can turn it around after a grind and he can experience some of the highs that come with this club and go from there.

toshin
23rd January 2023, 05:26 AM
I think Gakpo was bought in a Firmino kind of roll to hold up play as a false 9. Nunez will probably start on the left when he plays along side him. I wouldnt have an issue with Elliot playing in the Salah role. when we rest Mo. I don't think hes good enough in midfield. Time will tell if Gakpo gets enough goals. That was always my gripe with Bobby..

Agreed. And like someone else noted, he's one paced, like bobby.
If he can replicate peak years firmino it'll be worth it.

Still, not sure why we got him over a mf.
My best guess is because these kinds of players end up being worth heaps they do well and klopp wanting a bobby replacement.

Insidious
23rd January 2023, 08:51 AM
Still, not sure why we got him over a mf.
My best guess is because these kinds of players end up being worth heaps they do well and klopp wanting a bobby replacement.

Think it's partly that - we tend to go for who/what is available and he clearly was. Perhaps something akin to the Diaz situation was occuring.

Also think it was down to the injuries up front. Imagine Gakpo isn't here and we end up using Salah and Núñez over and over and over with little to no rotation, then one gets injured while Firmino/Jota/Diaz are out - let's say Darwin the one to be injured.

You'd be left with just Salah as a "proper" forward that is ready at this level to start constantly and his form hasn't been brilliant. The side would have no goals in it for a number of weeks and thus no chance of finishing 4th.

I suppose we could argue "4th isn't happening anyway, may as well prep for next season" and have targeted a midfielder (if a good one was available) as an alternative but it's so hard to know. I can certainly see the logic in ensuring we have enough forwards (injuries permitting) for March/April/May to rotate in the hope of causing the opposition problems and thus getting goals - goals that may turn losses into draws and draws into wins.

Definitely a decision that will be analysed heavily come the end of the season, particularly if Gakpo doesn't settle quickly - which to be fair to him, not everyone does.

Steveo
23rd January 2023, 09:04 AM
Settling in can be tough for any player and especially in a new league. He will be given plenty of time, but so far we haven’t seen anything, not a single flash. Don’t see the pace, or the skill or anything as yet. Difficult situation to walk into for sure, but a quality player shows something - no? It’ feels a little like we have signed the next David Ngog

Insidious
23rd January 2023, 09:15 AM
Yeah we haven't seen much, unfortunately. Still early though.

I'm hoping we'll see a bit more in the coming weeks. A goal or an assist would probably do him the World of good right now. If he scored the winner in a 1-0 against Wolves (or better yet, Everton) he'd hopefully get a little bit more adventurous and loosen up.

teesred
23rd January 2023, 10:02 AM
I think if we were playing at the level of last season, attacking quality etc we'd have seen things from him.
He's come in at literally the worst we've been under Klopp. This is worse than two years ago.
We'll get there again I'm sure but probably not till next season so he needs time and patience.

toshin
23rd January 2023, 11:33 AM
Also think it was down to the injuries up front. Imagine Gakpo isn't here and we end up using Salah and Núñez over and over and over with little to no rotation, then one gets injured while Firmino/Jota/Diaz are out - let's say Darwin the one to be injured.

You'd be left with just Salah as a "proper" forward that is ready at this level to start constantly and his form hasn't been brilliant. The side would have no goals in it for a number of weeks and thus no chance of finishing 4th.

So this is where I disagree. You can't say we must have a striker for goals. How freely are we scoring when salah Nunez and gakpo are fit?

The big issue for me is that none of our midfielders can run with the ball or make runs to support the strikers - none. Their runs are difficult for defenders to mark, esp in transitions/counter.
Fabinho no, thiago no, Elliot... Sortof but not over any distance, hendo no more, ox... Mindlessly, Keita maybe but he's Injured next game.

Steveo
23rd January 2023, 02:18 PM
No - this is wrong imo.

As I have said before - put the 2019 midfield in there right now and you would see even less offensive ability.

There is no fab 4 or fab 3 and both FB’s are a shadow of what they were. That prime trio of Salah - Mané and Bobby …. Supported by Trent and Robbo - does not exist. They have been run into the ground. Virgil isn’t the same fella either. The midfield is poor yes BUT it was never great. Better defensively then - better offensively now imo.

Where is that blistering pace up top to combine with the false 9…link up play…as Bobby did do often? We have lost that entirely,. As we have out wide. We had it on both flanks.. Diaz helped us a ton last season. That raw pace meant we kept. Both flanks running even when Salah’s form dipped.

Right now we have zero flanks working most of the time. In fact - unless Robbo runs there is nada.

Right now we don’t have the energy across the entire team. This isn’t just a personnel issue, that is a factor yes and the midfield has been neglected - we all know this - but this runs far far deeper

And midfielders don’t make runs when their front line is so out of sorts and their defence is so shaky, that is the natural order of things. 2 mids don’t fix this. They are much needed but something else needs to happen.

Gakpo is a stop gap. A reaction to inaction across the squad. A flawed and desperate attempt to fight off the inevitable. Yes - something needs to happen - Starting with these fuckwit owners selling up to someone who has the passion to take a risk. Sell up - and sell up fast.

They won’t though. They want investment. They don’t want to kill the goose that laid a golden egg. Liverpool FC is by a distance their grandest asset. Their only global asset.

miller0863
23rd January 2023, 11:11 PM
Hmmm … investment… investment you say.
Well it wasn’t that long ago they received investment from Red Bird and how much of that investment went onto the Anfield pitch was it??

And why would the next round of investment be any different?

Just naff off FSG, you’ve milked it enough now turn it into cold hard cash and do one.

Third biggest turnover (second in reality) in world football but £20m spent on midfield in four and a half years.

Grief.

teesred
24th January 2023, 07:38 AM
Hmmm … investment… investment you say.
Well it wasn’t that long ago they received investment from Red Bird and how much of that investment went onto the Anfield pitch was it??

And why would the next round of investment be any different?

Just naff off FSG, you’ve milked it enough now turn it into cold hard cash and do one.

Third biggest turnover (second in reality) in world football but £20m spent on midfield in four and a half years.

Grief.

The discord is growing and the longer the teams malaise continues it will gow and grow.
There's hopefully too much smoke for there to be no fire regarding these Qatari buyout rumours.

dicko1969
24th January 2023, 03:16 PM
bet that further down the line, Gakpo, is the replacement for Bobby.

Says Gakpo is a LW , really ?
His favourite position.
Just doesn't look a klopp signing for LW.

Klopp loves pace down the wings, with a goal threat.

Diaz in that position, then Darwin.
I'd say Darwin is more suited to LW here at Liverpool and in EPL , THAN no9.

So if Diaz fit, does Gakpo play LW ?

GAKPO is Bobby replacement in the fsg model. Or Jota is the false 9.

I think in our eyes Gakpo will play the false 9 or maybe a no8.

This signing right now doesn't make any sense unless we are missing the bigger picture ...

faridtoxteth
25th January 2023, 04:28 PM
The Guardian are currently doing their annual 100 best players in ascending order, put together by sports journalists and experts around the globe.
For what its worth..Cody Gakpo at number 50 ahead of Mahrez 57, Rashford 58, Luis Diaz, 59 and Trent at 60.
Further down the list Darwin Nunez at 82 and Robbo at 97.

dicko1969
25th January 2023, 06:41 PM
Surprised.

Link ?

dicko1969
25th January 2023, 06:54 PM
On gakpo no50

“He is a really, really good player and has the potential to become even better,” said Jürgen Klopp of Gakpo after Liverpool completed the £35m signing of the forward from PSV Eindhoven at the end of last year, and while the 23-year-old has struggled to show that for his new side, the proof of his talent was very much on display at the World Cup. Gakpo was excellent for the Netherlands, scoring in each of their group games and generally dazzled with his speed, athleticism and technical ability – as he had also done at PSV throughout 2022

faridtoxteth
25th January 2023, 07:19 PM
Surprised.

Link ?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2023/jan/24/the-100-best-male-footballers-in-the-world-2022

Nineteenx
1st February 2023, 01:11 AM
Looks potentially a very good Bobby replacement does Wagbo

dicko1969
1st February 2023, 11:20 PM
Can't be serious Hendo not on the list.

Nineteenx
2nd February 2023, 04:27 AM
Can't be serious Hendo not on the list.

:D Far too many of our own fans DRASTICALLY underrate Henderson's incredible contribution and simply exceptional game understanding and intelligence

What's become pertinently obvious over the last 3 and a bit season's, in conjunction with Jurgen's frequent comments about 'his manager on the pitch' and 'giving te lads responsibility to work things out' is that Henderson's role in orchestrating our play in 19-20 was far greater than even i'd given him credit for

He truly was THE driving force behing our only title win in 33 years

We've been so incredibly lucky to have such a rare and exceptional talent and Captain

Insidious
5th March 2023, 08:09 PM
Gakpo showed so much today.

There were doubts as to his acquisition and why we didn't target a midfielder instead. The thinking appears to have been that we could press from the front and score more goals - hoping that these attributes would cover up for some midfield issues - and it has to be said that over the last few games it looks to be paying off.

Let's hope he and the rest remain on course.

He looks every bit a successor to Firmino that we can be proud of if he keeps this up - and seems so calm and composed in interviews.

Lovely to see 4 of the goals come from the "next generation" today and Gakpo contributed and then some!

JockStrap
5th March 2023, 08:36 PM
One word, AUTOMATION :D

Nineteenx
5th March 2023, 09:13 PM
One word, AUTOMATION :D

You jest, but as a person with an exceptionally rare proclivity for seeing patterns, it's clear to me at least a great much of it is being restored game by game by playing as we did in 18-20 again and having new players like Nunez and Gakpo perform their roles as Mane and Bobby defined them, again, you're welcome

You missed all my moaning about losing automation and no longer getting the best out of Robbo with no width on the left and him not having a wide forward to link up with, erm, check our first goal, again, you're welcome ;)

Even better was Wagbo made sure w had width there as Nunez had gone central, already some automation of good movement and understanding of keeping the shape and width developing from reverting to playing as we did in 18-20 and the only way of playing with which Jurgen has been successful

JockStrap
6th March 2023, 09:21 AM
You jest, but as a person with an exceptionally rare proclivity for seeing patterns, it's clear to me at least a great much of it is being restored game by game by playing as we did in 18-20 again and having new players like Nunez and Gakpo perform their roles as Mane and Bobby defined them, again, you're welcome

You missed all my moaning about losing automation and no longer getting the best out of Robbo with no width on the left and him not having a wide forward to link up with, erm, check our first goal, again, you're welcome ;)

Even better was Wagbo made sure w had width there as Nunez had gone central, already some automation of good movement and understanding of keeping the shape and width developing from reverting to playing as we did in 18-20 and the only way of playing with which Jurgen has been successful

OK, so Klopp must take all the credit. Correct?

reddownunder
6th March 2023, 11:33 AM
His two finishes today were of the highest quality

dicko1969
6th March 2023, 06:41 PM
Gakpo after 14 games now , settling in and showing why in the top 50 world best players.
Excellent yesterday.

Nineteenx
6th March 2023, 08:19 PM
Right now we have zero flanks working most of the time. (Elliott still get in Trent's space, even yesterday when good that needs fixing, Robbo had support out there from Wagbo or Nunez yesterday)

Right now we don’t have the energy across the entire team. (Didn't look lacking yesterday played in the right system)

Gakpo is a stop gap. A reaction to inaction across the squad. A flawed and desperate attempt to fight off the inevitable.

Astonishing

Nineteenx
6th March 2023, 08:20 PM

:D Lolzer how did everyone else miss this classic, you're wasted here Miller

Nineteenx
6th March 2023, 08:21 PM

Yes

Nineteenx
6th March 2023, 08:23 PM

Yes he does ;)

Steveo
6th March 2023, 08:24 PM
Astonishing

Not astonishing at all. That is precisely what Gakpo was. I don't believe for one second anyone thought Gakpo was our most pressing need. You yourself and more than half this forum knew full well we were well short in the middle and the defence. And this is the reality. anyone want to argue that fact - look at the league table. But we had a raft of injuries so Gakpo was likely rushed in to cover.

He has looked better and better in recent weeks and we all hope it continues but that doesn't change reality.

I understand that you are hurt by being exposed for what you are.. This is just a desperate attempt though.. condolences

Nineteenx
6th March 2023, 08:25 PM
Settling in can be tough for any player and especially in a new league. He will be given plenty of time, but so far we haven’t seen anything, not a single flash. Don’t see the pace, or the skill or anything as yet. Difficult situation to walk into for sure, but a quality player shows something - no? It’ feels a little like we have signed the next David Ngog

Interesting

Nineteenx
6th March 2023, 08:28 PM
Not astonishing at all. That is precisely what Gakpo was. I don't believe for one second anyone thought Gakpo was our most pressing need. You yourself and more than half this forum knew full well we were well short in the middle and the defence. And this is the reality. anyone want to argue that fact - look at the league table. But we had a raft of injuries so Gakpo was likely rushed in to cover.

He has looked better and better in recent weeks and we all hope it continues but that doesn't change reality.

I understand that you are hurt by being exposed for what you are.. This is just a desperate attempt though.. condolences

Steveo lashing out after being drastically wrong AGAIN :D Carry on Jon

Steveo
6th March 2023, 08:32 PM
And here is the full post.. and it all stacks up

No - this is wrong imo.

As I have said before - put the 2019 midfield in there right now and you would see even less offensive ability.

There is no fab 4 or fab 3 and both FB’s are a shadow of what they were. That prime trio of Salah - Mané and Bobby …. Supported by Trent and Robbo - does not exist. They have been run into the ground. Virgil isn’t the same fella either. The midfield is poor yes BUT it was never great. Better defensively then - better offensively now imo.

Where is that blistering pace up top to combine with the false 9…link up play…as Bobby did do often? We have lost that entirely,. As we have out wide. We had it on both flanks.. Diaz helped us a ton last season. That raw pace meant we kept. Both flanks running even when Salah’s form dipped.

Right now we have zero flanks working most of the time. In fact - unless Robbo runs there is nada.

Right now we don’t have the energy across the entire team. This isn’t just a personnel issue, that is a factor yes and the midfield has been neglected - we all know this - but this runs far far deeper

And midfielders don’t make runs when their front line is so out of sorts and their defence is so shaky, that is the natural order of things. 2 mids don’t fix this. They are much needed but something else needs to happen.

Gakpo is a stop gap. A reaction to inaction across the squad. A flawed and desperate attempt to fight off the inevitable. Yes - something needs to happen - Starting with these fuckwit owners selling up to someone who has the passion to take a risk. Sell up - and sell up fast.

They won’t though. They want investment. They don’t want to kill the goose that laid a golden egg. Liverpool FC is by a distance their grandest asset. Their only global asset.

And as I mention here - as the front line clicks we see the results. This post is a pop at the lack of business across the squad...

Steveo
6th March 2023, 08:36 PM
Interesting

Pretty accurate I would say :D

Nineteenx
6th March 2023, 08:38 PM
I understand that you are hurt by being exposed for what you are..

What ARE you on about here? this is hilarious

I moan about lots of areas of our play going awry over the last 2 and a half seasons and what that might lead to

It does lead to that, Jurgen tries everything but what I believed to be the solution, formation change, ditching his entire midfield and blaming them, none of it helps

Then from the Everton game on, Jurgen tries adopting how we used to play in 18-20 reintroducing all the elements I moaned we were losing or had lost almost entirely from our game

We then win 4 out of 5 league games, drawing one, keeping 5 clean sheets and scoring 13, doing pretty much exactly what I said needed to be done and putting back pretty much all the things I said it was foolhardy to ditch, while Steveo and Kev in particular were in complete disagreement with me and taking the piss because they had no fucking clue what was coming

And I've been exposed............ Carry on, that's fucking hilarious Jon

Nineteenx
6th March 2023, 08:40 PM
And here is the full post.. and it all stacks up

And as I mention here - as the front line clicks we see the results. This post is a pop at the lack of business across the squad...

It really doesn't, how we've played since Everton, putting back or trying to put back all the elements of our play I said we were losing or had lost entirely is reaping dividends, that post shows you really are a proper Jon Snow mate, you're doing a damned fine job of exposing yourself for EXACTLY that :D Carry on, it's most entertaining

Nineteenx
6th March 2023, 08:45 PM
You also need to accept Jurgen did fuck up royally with his supposed evolution, because he did, he has made a considerable about turn and gone back to what worked and what he was best at over half way through the season, no two ways about it, I genuinely don't know WHAT he was thinking, if you're the world's best at playing a certain way and the only success you have only had was playing a certain way, it's really not advisable to ditch almost all of it

JockStrap
6th March 2023, 09:00 PM
You also need to accept Jurgen did fuck up royally with his supposed evolution, because he did, he has made a considerable about turn and gone back to what worked and what he was best at over half way through the season, no two ways about it, I genuinely don't know WHAT he was thinking, if you're the world's best at playing a certain way and the only success you have only had was playing a certain way, it's really not advisable to ditch almost all of it

Good advice. What if he didn't ditch it? What if you're just imagining that?

Nineteenx
6th March 2023, 09:01 PM
Steveo tried to convince Lady Melisandre, the Red Woman of his 20 years out of date footballing theories

https://youtu.be/dINqnhFQ3PQ

Nineteenx
6th March 2023, 09:25 PM
Good advice. What if he didn't ditch it? What if you're just imagining that?

We lost the runs in behind, we lost the switches, we lost the width of the LFWD linking with Robbo, was lost our press and counter press, we lost our direct ability, we lost our ability at counter attacks, we lost our tempo, intensity and penetration playing in front of teams far too frequently and more

All of that happened, and while I was the first to see it happening I was by no means the only person to comment on the loss or absence of those things, others acknowledged those things were happening but insisted it must be part of a plan, a plan that never materialised into anything before reverting to what this group of players does best

Steveo
6th March 2023, 09:27 PM
@19 it’s pretty desperate to be trawling back to when Gakpo first arrived and was quite frankly utterly anonymous. We all saw it. Tough gig as I mentioned. But that is the reality.

Nineteenx
6th March 2023, 09:46 PM
One aspect I saw yesterday on a few occasions was him doing enough to stop the defender getting an effective clearing header that we then picked up the second ball from when he knew he wasn't going to win it or there was no value in him wining it

Mane was top class at that, good to see from Gakpo, something we need more of from Darwin

Steveo
6th March 2023, 10:49 PM
What ARE you on about here? this is hilarious

I moan about lots of areas of our play going awry over the last 2 and a half seasons and what that might lead to

It does lead to that, Jurgen tries everything but what I believed to be the solution, formation change, ditching his entire midfield and blaming them, none of it helps

Then from the Everton game on, Jurgen tries adopting how we used to play in 18-20 reintroducing all the elements I moaned we were losing or had lost almost entirely from our game

We then win 4 out of 5 league games, drawing one, keeping 5 clean sheets and scoring 13, doing pretty much exactly what I said needed to be done and putting back pretty much all the things I said it was foolhardy to ditch, while Steveo and Kev in particular were in complete disagreement with me and taking the piss because they had no fucking clue what was coming

And I've been exposed............ Carry on, that's fucking hilarious Jon

But you have been exposed.

Not just for inventing what even happened V Inter Milan. Only to conveniently attest to getting things a bit mixed up.

Not just your claim that the manager was "taking crack" with his selection for Wolves - a game we happened to win - and one of the 5 games you count in your proof of the right system. Sadly not met with your approval at the time due to the absence of Hendo..

Your assessment of the lineup proven totally and utterly wrong.

As it was again last night. But this time, with Hendo in attendance its ok for you to be happy. Claiming 5 games and no goals conceded despite shipping 5 v Real. But that time it was all the fault of Gomez in the absence of no Thiago to blame.

You are a fruitcake

Nineteenx
7th March 2023, 01:10 AM
Klopp's done everything I've been banging on about us needing to and we're winning ;), even if I and a great many others haven't necessarily agreed with the line up at times, everyone thought he'd been smoking crack with that midfield line up v Wolves, go and check the match thread

You're just pissed because every single thing I've said about your fantasy all fur coat and no knickers show pony Thiago are entirely accurate and you know it

Steveo
7th March 2023, 08:35 AM
Oh really - is this the same man who was accused by you of “taking crack” before the Wolves game?

We then witnessed your drivel after the game as though we had lost, despite the fact we had won.

Keep them coming dude.

Steveo
7th March 2023, 10:13 AM
Klopp's done everything I've been banging on about us needing to and we're winning ;), even if I and a great many others haven't necessarily agreed with the line up at times, everyone thought he'd been smoking crack with that midfield line up v Wolves, go and check the match thread

You're just pissed because every single thing I've said about your fantasy all fur coat and no knickers show pony Thiago are entirely accurate and you know it
On The manager

except - on just 25 February after the Palace game - slap bang in the middle of this so called mirror image of 2018-20…

He's fucking lost it after watching that tonight, ridiculous line up, ridiculous subs, no plan, no clue, no width on our left from the LFWD all game a feature he introduced when bringing Jota in for Bobby in 20-21, he's just fucked everything off that once made us a brilliant team, there's nothing there, not a single working functioning relationship between any of those players from what it was, you could see that getting worse and worse last season despite our playing every game, we scrapped through so many by the skin of our teeth only by the virtue of having quality in depth fit forwards and defenders

That was fucking woeful tonight

Same geezer who questions IF Klopp is taking crack for the next game v Wolves - which we win.. and who then goes on to say this..

No idea how we have managed 4 Premier league clean sheets in a row

You do feel we might need more midfield creativity on Sunday, although, Alisson, Virgil the full backs, Jota and Wagbo provided as much as we needed to score twice tonight

Same geezer who says this after the win..

We were very awful for the most part and struggled to create. the usual, overplaying needlessly, no-one taking responsibility, going sideways and backwards when there were good options ahead of them none of them wanting to be the one who might give the ball away and Wolves possession by actually trying to make something happen even in pretty low risk situations , playing in front of Wolves with no runs in behind and not really looking like creating anything

Nunez created a bit running at Wolves, Jota too a couple of times and showed no small amount of quality setting Elliott up with 2 glorious chances he should have buried both of, one rescuing and making something of Jota's poorly overweighted pass, the other chesting it off making it sit up really nicely to be smashed home

Other than that we were always looking at a set piece and getting great delivery from one, after the goal Wolves crept forward a little and Wagbo release Tsimikas in behind quite brilliant and he just drove on and into the box to tee up Mo

Mo stank the place out for the most part as he always does whenever Elliott plays, kept dropping very short trying to run at and past players with the ball and make play rather than making runs in behind and playing on the last defender which he's very good at

Elliott is just annoying in general, his shitness, his face and his stupid hair :D

it made me laugh at least, Bajcetic was a liability tonight, Fab was too first half had Wolves got it together for their forward to knock it back to the runner (Fab's man) on the FIVE occasions they played it long and had that runner off Fab in acres, same tactic Brenford used in last season's 3-3 btw, one of the draw that cost us the league title, although VAR handing City 4 points were the real culprits. You lot haven't noticed, but it is a tactic many opposition sides have employed against us, long ball 3 v 4 in our favour, but a midfield runner off Fab, try and knock it down to the runner, 4v4 with the runner having 3 players to try and play in and no pressure on the ball, go watch the Brentford 3-3 highlights

The mids did precious little of any use tonight for me, Bajcetic got caught and robbed at least 3 times in stupid areas from which a better side would have punished us, not one of them played forward with any quality, Alisson, Virgil, Trent and Tsimi plaed forward with more quality than our entire midfield mustered all game

This is all from the same geezer who is now citing these games as evidence that the manager has listened to him and that's why we are back!

Either the manager IS following your mantra and setting up as you like or he ISN'T? IF we win and he HASN'T (and gone against your better judgement) HOW can you have the cheek to cite these games as evidence that he is indeed following your instruction to success?

Don't you see the problem here?

WHICH IS IT?

Nineteenx
7th March 2023, 11:31 AM
NPD Jon Snow here you are AGAIN doing exactly what i described on the other thread just now, oh and the mind reading has even crept into this one

Here you're maybe muddying the waters because of the absolute guff you posted about Gakpo ;)

Breakthrough goal v the filthy? Gakpo providing the width on the left and link up with Robbo wasn't it?

Ntw i don't think anyone involved in the running of our club reads here, but you very obviously do with your little episode of projection

Steveo
7th March 2023, 11:33 AM
Which is it?

Nineteenx
7th March 2023, 12:00 PM
This is all from the same geezer who is now citing these games as evidence that the manager has listened to him and that's why we are back!

Don't you see the problem here?

No, i see a rational reasonable person recognising the ongoing tweaks and the progress being made as it is being made, having said it was going to take time

It's not a contradiction for a person's opinion to change as tweaks are made game by game and progress is made

The midfield was shite v Wolves, there were numerous comments by numerous posters to that effect in the match thread prior to kick off and throughout, it was tweaked again for Sunday's game as part of an ongoing process that will take time, it worked better everyone was happier

Steveo
7th March 2023, 12:25 PM
Yes - but you weren’t happy with the lineup on Sunday either. Salah - the geezer you wanted listed last June proving to be unplayable with guess who behind him..? Elliott of all people.. who’d a thunk it?

As I have said, the lineup is different almost every bloody week. That is a huge part of what has led to such a poor season. We have had injuries and core players have been shattered mentally and physically. The front line was changed 66% post World Cup. No Diaz, Jota or Bobby. A new Kid called Gakpo, who looked extremely ordinary to us all for weeks, thrown into the mix often next to either Elliott or Carvalho with Keita bringing up the rear.. I mean.. How in the living fook can you choose to ignore these facts?

The only reason we escape Palace with a point is very likely due to the fact Keita looked like he was going to walk and got hooked at HT.

Does anyone have any confidence that we don’t lose that game if he stays on?

The introduction (too much though) of Bajcetic has been great - as has the return of Jota and Bobby and the support that has given to Gakpo to develop (which he has) have all contributed to better showings first from Fabinho - and latterly from Hendo. 2 players that were both looking done.

No coincidence at all. Even Elliott who many of us moan about - has shown again he has qualities.

It isn’t a change of system - it’s the return of missing players. Virgil for one. Did we forget? Less pressure on everyone to be at 110% - more space for Mo - and finally - goals

Nineteenx
7th March 2023, 03:02 PM
Elliott had his first good game there on Sunday and long may he continue to improve, but there were groans from many at his inclusion because he has been consistently poor there other than on Sunday and his presence there has been hugely detrimental to Mo and Trent for too many games this season, or did it all suddenly work because of Thiago's absence :eek: everything seems to point to that :o

Steveo
7th March 2023, 03:21 PM
Despite the fact he was one of our top performers in the win v City? Remember that game?

Or the 9:0 v Bournemouth
https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/08/liverpool-9-0-bournemouth-player-ratings/

Harvey Elliott – 9

Involved in the buildup for the first and the second – which he rattled in himself for a well-deserved goal after being one of the team’s few impressive performers early on this term. Absolutely brilliant finish, first time into the far corner. Brilliant run and would-be assist for Salah soon after. Had an excellent first half before being subbed at the break, the most in-form midfielder at the club so far this term.

Or V Newcastle at Home when he was MOTM
https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/08/liverpool-2-1-newcastle-player-ratings-2/

Harvey Elliott – 8 – Man of the Match

Was impressive in attack and also in recovering the ball in defence against Joelinton.
Had the team’s first shot on target in the 60th minute, and played a great ball for Salah who set up Firmino’s goal.
Was Liverpool’s best player on the night.

Sorry dude, but there is just too much guff and not enough substance to your thinking and your claims

justme
7th March 2023, 03:37 PM
Jurgen took crack before the wolves game? would explain the excessive Cheshire cat smile he has when we are losing

darrenpotter
7th March 2023, 03:46 PM
Despite the fact he was one of our top performers in the win v City? Remember that game?

Harvey Elliott – 9

Involved in the buildup for the first and the second – which he rattled in himself for a well-deserved goal after being one of the team’s few impressive performers early on this term. Absolutely brilliant finish, first time into the far corner. Brilliant run and would-be assist for Salah soon after. Had an excellent first half before being subbed at the break, the most in-form midfielder at the club so far this term.

Was impressive in attack and also in recovering the ball in defence against Joelinton.
Had the team’s first shot on target in the 60th minute, and played a great ball for Salah who set up Firmino’s goal.

Sorry dude, but there is just too much guff and not enough substance to your thinking and your claims

Seem to recall him turning the home match vs newcastle as well.

Nineteenx
7th March 2023, 04:10 PM

Harvey Elliott – 9

ThisIsAnfield is a garbage site with garbage writers, i honestly cringe when you post their garbage like it's in some way credible or carries some weight, you're probably the writer of their garbage is the"Thiago played a brilliant pass over the top in behind for Salah" about the pass that was too heavy and with top spin that ran away from Mo out for agoal kick utter tripe is anything to go by

Steveo
7th March 2023, 04:15 PM
ThisIsAnfield is a garbage site with garbage writers, i honestly cringe when you post their garbage like it's in some way credible or carries some weight, you're probably the writer of their garbage is the"Thiago played a brilliant pass over the top in behind for Salah" about the pass that was too heavy and with top spin that ran away from Mo out for agoal kick utter tripe is anything to go by

Yes everyone is wrong when they don't back up your fantasy.. And I am not only darrenpotter, Jon Snow but also writing for TIA too.. :D :D :D

How about this one from Twitter? Another one of mine?

And IF we want to just look at poor old Thiago.. This is a good place to start.

https://twitter.com/AnfieldEdition/status/1518248603751485441
@AnfieldEdition
Liverpool have a 93% win rate with Thiago starting in the Premier League this season, compared to 56% without him.

4:20 pm · 24 Apr 2022

Nineteenx
7th March 2023, 04:16 PM
Seem to recall him turning the home match vs newcastle as well.

No that was Carvalho ;)

How he was v the filthy still in no way justifies playing Mo and Trent out of form and their best positions (space) and the amount of points dropped this season and last doing so, or the disruption to the rest of the team when already disrupted, it has proved an entirely false economy

Steveo
7th March 2023, 04:18 PM
How about this? in the 1:7 v rangers..?

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/10/rangers-1-7-liverpool-player-ratings/

Harvey Elliott – 8

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND - Wednesday, October 12, 2022: Liverpool's Harvey Elliott celebrates after scoring the seventh goal during the UEFA Champions League Group A matchday 4 game between Glasgow Rangers FC and Liverpool FC at Ibrox Stadium. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

Elliott’s minutes have diminished in recent games since the change in formation, but he started at Ibrox and put in an eye-catching and effective performance.

Playing out on the right, the teenager looked like creating a spark, running with the ball and looking to make key passes.

Completed an impressive evening by rounding off the scoring with his first European goal.

Nineteenx
7th March 2023, 04:24 PM
It isn’t a change of system - it’s the return of missing players. Virgil for one. Did we forget? Less pressure on everyone to be at 110% - more space for Mo - and finally - goals

It is a change back to how we played in 18-20

Jamie Carragher "This is like watching Liverpool from 3 or 4 seasons ago"

And it was, that half was like European Premier League and World champions Liverpool from before Thiago ever waltzed through our doors donning his fur coat AND it's the first time we've played like that since the day Fab waltzed back into a side that had been far better without him

Nineteenx
7th March 2023, 04:25 PM
Rangers :D fuck me you're getting desperate :o

Steveo
7th March 2023, 04:27 PM
It is a change back to how we played in 18-20

Jamie Carragher "This is like watching Liverpool from 3 or 4 seasons ago"

And it was, that half was like European Premier League and World champions Liverpool from before Thiago ever waltzed through our doors donning his fur coat AND it's the first time we've played like that since the day Fab waltzed back into a side that had been far better without him

Still banging on about 93% win rate Thiago?

Winning games with a performing front 3 will look like we did 3 or 4 years ago because we haven't seen that level of effort in those areas since then., when our trio were in their prime. And your friend Carra? Glad you can cherry pick when you can and cannot take what he says like this..

https://youtu.be/Apu55a1XMMM

:D :D :D

Steveo
7th March 2023, 04:34 PM
Rangers :D fuck me you're getting desperate :o

Not really, just finally took one glove off to eviscerate your inventions, your re-writing of history AND your bogus assessments which chop and change from game to game and sometimes even half way through.

Just give over and accept that you are a hack. Don't try and belittle the manager that brought us back to the top table and maybe, just maybe - you'll be ok.

Nineteenx
7th March 2023, 05:39 PM
Read the match thread for WOlves and the filthy and the your team, plenty of other people on this site not wanting Elliott included and bemused at his inclusion again v the filthy

If Elliott can play from now on improving on his game on Sunday, not impeding Mo's space or form or Trent's space or form, and sharpen up a bit defensively we can start counting his contributions, any contribution at the expense of both Mo and Trent's form and game, counts for fuck all with me

Nineteenx
7th March 2023, 05:43 PM
Not really, just finally took one glove off to eviscerate your inventions, your re-writing of history AND your bogus assessments which chop and change from game to game and sometimes even half way through.

Just give over and accept that you are a hack. Don't try and belittle the manager that brought us back to the top table and maybe, just maybe - you'll be ok.

No mention of the 4-1 reverse to Napoli Elliott started? You know the loss that that meant we ended up playing Real?

No of course not selective as ever

Steveo
7th March 2023, 05:47 PM
No mention of the 4-1 reverse to Napoli Elliott started? You know the loss that that meant we ended up playing Real?

No of course not selective as ever

It was a game we lost, like every game we have away in Naples - As we did in Paris and in Belgrade.. in the seasons you cite as when we were at our invincible best..

Steveo
7th March 2023, 05:56 PM
October 3rd 2018
Napoli 1 Liverpool 0

Oh and before you get onto one. Hendo came on for the injured Keita on 19 minutes..
They had 14 shots with 5 on target - we had 4 shots and not a single one on target.
Described as one of the most one sided European games in our history with a scoreline that was a freak - totally flattering us.. Short memory

I blame Elliott :D

https://youtu.be/gbffJYIurU0

Watch and weep 19.. watch and weep. :D

September 17th 2019
Napoli 2 Liverpool 0
A closer game but a game we lost by 2 goals to nil.

Nineteenx
7th March 2023, 05:58 PM
Winning games with a performing front 3 will look like we did 3 or 4 years ago because we haven't seen that level of effort in those areas since then

One thing we've missed this season is the intensity of Mane's pressing, who was better at it still even after losing a little pace and strength than any of the current lot

Steveo
7th March 2023, 06:00 PM
One thing we've missed this season is the intensity of Mane's pressing, who was better at it still even after losing a little pace and strength than any of the current lot

Well at least this we can agree on. I doubt anyone on this entire forum would.

darrenpotter
7th March 2023, 07:07 PM

Ah cmon you are rewriting history. You were one of his harshest critics in our failed title defence,

Nineteenx
26th April 2023, 11:45 PM

He certainly does, he's kind of the ideal Bobby replacement, quite sure we could use him as a second striker deeper when trying to play Nunez as a No9 but a lot of work to do with Nunez being stronger in front of CBs and getting hold of the ball and keeping it to bring other into play before that happens, could see Gakpo creating for Nunez, scoring himself and releasing our left and right forwards to score or assist aswell, he's a very talented lad

Nineteenx
27th April 2023, 12:23 PM

Know nothing :o

Nineteenx
27th April 2023, 12:27 PM
Gakpo is a stop gap. A reaction to inaction across the squad. A flawed and desperate attempt to fight off the inevitable.

Hilarious :D :D And soooooooooooooooooooo embarrassing :o

teesred
27th April 2023, 12:33 PM
Know nothing :o
I said similar things about Nunez. He looked a full clart when he started
Granted he's improved a lot but let's not hide the fact he needs to be much much better next season. I like a lot about him but I wouldn't say I'm massively confident he becomes a top class player. His finishing is woeful.

Nineteenx
27th April 2023, 12:37 PM

Ah yes there it is, i was looking for this bit of you being right on Gakpo and I being wrong, it seems you're as confused on this issue as you are on Trent's game being only about crossing :o

Go back to ThisIsAnfield is my advice, they surely have a kiddies forum you'd be better suited to don't they

David N'Gog :o

Nineteenx
27th April 2023, 12:47 PM
I said similar things about Nunez. He looked a full clart when he started
Granted he's improved a lot but let's not hide the fact he needs to be much much better next season. I like a lot about him but I wouldn't say I'm massively confident he becomes a top class player. His finishing is woeful.

There's lots of work to do with Nunez and for him to do on his own, our plan for using him was like a great many other things we've done this season, not playing to our players strengths, he's been better from LFWD, but i got trashed for aying he'd be better for us played there in the short term at least

Steveo
27th April 2023, 01:19 PM
He was precisely like Ngog. In fact he was utterly anonymous early on. I said it and you all thought it. Understandable thrust into a new side. He has gotten better as you would expect and has done very well considering.

Let’s not pretend he is the second coming though eh.

Steveo
27th April 2023, 01:27 PM
Let’s keep things real. let’s not pretend what happened didn’t happen.

1. Trent needed moving - it wasn’t working and was killing us. Despite 19 defending his role and saying he was actually performing better - he wasn’t - has been allowed a more advanced role and we see an upturn.

2. Gakpo was totally anonymous on arrival - and for a considerable while too.

3. Nunez has masses of work to do on his finishing and overall game. This was true when he joined - was true when he was scoring and is still true now

4. Competition for places usually gets reflected in better results.

Insidious
30th May 2023, 08:54 AM
A good season that -

PSV - 13 goals, 17 assists

Liverpool - 7 goals 3 assists

50 in total, totting up 20 goals and 20 assists.

He'll obviously get less in England than Holland due to the jump in standards, but that is some going.

vin
30th May 2023, 07:45 PM
He was precisely like Ngog. In fact he was utterly anonymous early on. I said it and you all thought it. Understandable thrust into a new side. He has gotten better as you would expect and has done very well considering.

Let’s not pretend he is the second coming though eh.

Eh? Second coming? Are you referring to Gakpo?

The guy looks like a great player and an excellent addition to the squad. He took time to settle. I'm not sure how anyone has an issue with this either way?

faridtoxteth
30th May 2023, 07:59 PM
Gakpo fits us very well.

HLOGI
31st May 2023, 07:47 AM
Gakpo is excellent. Press resistant. Holds the ball up well. Can turn and drive forward. Knows when tk arrive in the box. Can also play of the shoulder of a defender. Finish can improve but overall is a top signing that fits Jurgen Klopp perfectly. Great attitude, hard worker, selfless.

justme
31st May 2023, 10:29 AM
Eh? Second coming? Are you referring to Gakpo?

The guy looks like a great player and an excellent addition to the squad. He took time to settle. I'm not sure how anyone has an issue with this either way?

This is some of the nonsense steveo often comes out with it.. Like he rates Thiago and Thiago can do no wrong. when most of us think hes been less than average since he arrived at our club..
I for one is really impressed with Gakpo.

Steveo
31st May 2023, 12:00 PM
10 out of 10 for observation fellas :D

Nineteenx
31st May 2023, 01:47 PM
This is some of the nonsense steveo often comes out with it.. Like he rates Thiago and Thiago can do no wrong. when most of us think hes been less than average since he arrived at our club..
I for one is really impressed with Gakpo.

He labelled Gakpo a stop gap poor man's David N'Gog :o

Our right hand side, that was by far our most potent and inluential last season (21-22) stopped working because of a culmination of 3 things

Jurgen trying to make Thiago designated playmaker rather than the team making the play, which saw almost all other players see significantly less of the ball, and not get it where they previously created from, it also broke down almost all our established movement and positioning off one another which also wrecked our press and counter press ability

Ditching the controller role from LCM and/or RCM with one of them performing it while the other was forward and employing Elliott at RCM getting in Trent's and Mo's space made matters even worse

This isn't the players or those players fault, it's Jurgen's use of them that created the issues.

There's never would have been a problem with Trent at RB if you put the midfield roles back to as they were before Jurgen fucked so many things up with ill thought out changes, he needs to stop trying to be Bayern City and instead further evolve what HE devised that actually won things and best suits our players, something there was still so much left to do of

Even heading into the summer, it's like having a new manager with no proven track record of being successful playing the box midfield system we finished the season playing

Original 433 system all the way for me, with the box tweak and others something we implement for certain games or at certain stages of games

ianlfc
31st May 2023, 05:27 PM
Let's be honest, he was fucking awful the first 4 or 5 games. Obviously the team were poor during that time but I can't remember which game it was, but he kicked on after it( maybe after his first goal) and does look a decent player.
But for anyone to say he's been brilliant needs to lower their standards.

Steveo
31st May 2023, 06:12 PM
Correct as usual Ian, but honesty is pretty thin on the ground for some.

Steveo
31st May 2023, 06:35 PM
And Gakpo was a stop gap signing. If Nunez shows up with what was expected and the injuries to Jota and Diaz don’t materialise - he ain’t coming: Full stop. Klopp’s weak attempt to defend it when questioned “ sports point of view” highlighting precisely the point I made.

From the Mirror:

Klopp denied that Liverpool's move for the Dutchman was motivated by injuries to key players in the final third. He told the club's website:

"We decided to do something from a sports point of view – without having the green light from the financial side already – months ago if you want, so two or three months ago.

"So that's why it has nothing to do with that. But in the end that we could do it early, that might have been influenced. We worked on it and you never have a guarantee when you find an agreement or whatever, these kind of things".

———————————————-

These signings can come good. Sometimes they work out and it’s great and often they don’t. If Coady can match his form from half a season in Holland across the entire league campaign in England - next season.. he will have proved a truly excellent addition.

But those who want to flip 180 now and say Coady is brilliant (he really hasn’t been that - not yet) are likely to be left with egg on their faces at times next season.

Let’s hope not eh. “from a sports point of view”…at least :D

miller0863
31st May 2023, 07:56 PM
I criticised him every bit as much as you did Steveo, think he’s fitted in pretty well since the initial half dozen games or so mind.
Really looks like he’s going to fill the Bobby role pretty damn well to me. He’ll be better and more consistent next season I’m sure.

Insidious
30th September 2023, 09:42 PM
Fingers and toes tightly crossed that the knee brace doesn't mean a severe injury such as the ACL - lovely finish today.

miller0863
30th September 2023, 09:46 PM
He initially carried on so doubt it’s an ACL

Insidious
30th September 2023, 09:49 PM

I sincerely hope not. Lucas attempted to walk a few steps after he had done his.

He certainly won't be available for our upcoming couple of games before the international break and Jota will have a suspension to serve, so a front three of Diaz, Núñez and Salah will likely pick itself unless there are injuries.

Hopefully a month or so at a maximum. He looked to be in a lot of discomfort.

miller0863
30th September 2023, 09:51 PM
Only a one game ban for Jota

Artie Fufkin
30th September 2023, 09:56 PM

That doesn't prove anything. The same Liverpool physio, (Chris Morgan) asked Lucas Leiva and Martin Kelly to carry on playing after failing to diagnose their ACL's.

Martyboy
1st October 2023, 03:36 PM
That doesn't prove anything. The same Liverpool physio, (Chris Morgan) asked Lucas Leiva and Martin Kelly to carry on playing after failing to diagnose their ACL's.

Hey Artie,still working for Polymer Records??...:)

justincredible
1st October 2023, 04:12 PM
The lad's in a knee brace and the boss apparently thinks it could be a bad one. All of that to get robbed at the end. F**k you PGMOL, F**k you Premier League and F**k every last one of the referees involved in yesterday's game.....

pob
1st October 2023, 04:15 PM

That plank is still at the club? Jesus christ.

Kev0909
1st October 2023, 04:15 PM
Great........

Insidious
2nd October 2023, 12:58 PM
A Dutch journey was suggesting "a few weeks" out for Cody - that could of course mean 6-8 weeks depending on Grade (1, 2 or 3) if it was a ligament issue, which I suspect it was given the situation that occured - twists/turns/changes of direction often cause ligament trouble.

I'll be waiting for a better source and/or announcement from the club, but am hoping for 6-8 weeks (or less) of absence for him in those circumstances, rather than a full ACL tear.

We could do without having to play whilst down to 10 (or 9....) combined with these long spells of injury time. The chance of certain players being affected by injury will only increase.

Glad we have more Home games than away games for a spell on the Horizon - hopefully reduced travel will be a percentage gain in our favour.

justme
2nd October 2023, 01:16 PM
and theres an international break coming up that should take two weeks out of the season..

scientificred
2nd October 2023, 03:55 PM
The way he walked off the pitch reminded me of how Virgil did after Pickford's assault .
Come back soon Cody!!!!

redebreck
2nd October 2023, 05:37 PM
Injured by Spuds' Odogie on Saturday, reportedly.
As if they didn't fuck us up enough without this.

Kev0909
2nd October 2023, 08:15 PM
Injured by Spuds' Odogie on Saturday, reportedly.
As if they didn't fuck us up enough without this.

Isn't that the prick that dived for jones first yellow?

A new hated player emerges

scientificred
2nd October 2023, 08:43 PM

Correct me if wrong but Curtis's first yellow turned to red there was no diving involved. It was an accidental bad challenge 2 players going for the ball. One got there slightly first making the other roll over the ball.

Kev0909
2nd October 2023, 08:47 PM
Correct me if wrong but Curtis's first yellow turned to red there was no diving involved. It was an accidental bad challenge 2 players going for the ball. One got there slightly first making the other roll over the ball.

Mixed up, I meant Jota

scientificred
2nd October 2023, 08:49 PM

Remember Jürgen exchanging words with Richarlison during the match at quite close quarters
He properly clobbered Thiago in maybe his first game for us, same match as Pickford on Virgil.
Not sure Thiago ever recovered from that

Nineteenx
3rd October 2023, 01:51 AM

Curtis tried to get his foot the other side of the ball so it would be between Bissouma and the ball, just got it stuck under his foot momentarily before it slipped off and caught Bissouma with very little force

That fat cunt Ange can fuck right off too, i fucking hate managers who develop as massive a culture of diving, trying to con the ref and trying to get opposition players in trouble as we saw yesterday, Spurs should face sanction for that, it was the worst i've seen for a very long time

Insidious
3rd October 2023, 08:31 AM
James Pearce suggesting that Cody avoided serious injury against Tottenham and although he will miss our upcoming two matches, he may be available immediately after the international break.

That would be a great result given what we feared.

If we can manage to muster up two wins this week we would be well on our way to qualifying for the knockout stages of the Europa and would remain just two points off top in the League with most lads available.

I think at the start of the season we would have been delighted with that (hasn't come to pass yet of course) so to (potentially) go into the international break in such good stead despite the four red cards, corrupt refereeing etc would be some result and bode well for whatever our journey holds this season.

Insidious
11th January 2024, 08:39 AM
Loves the League Cup doesn't he?!?!?!

JockStrap
11th January 2024, 10:01 AM
He took that goal lovely last night. Was a more difficult finish than it looked.

Kev0909
17th March 2024, 07:07 PM
Fuck right off.

miller0863
17th March 2024, 07:43 PM
Awful

Nineteenx
17th March 2024, 08:07 PM
How was our losing his fault? It was strolling pace for far too much of the game overplaying playing too slow & casual from start to finish, like we followed on from Sparta thinking we would stroll through it like that

I always think having a game like that Sparta one in which you can stroll & spend 80 plus minutes not getting out of 1st gear and still thrash the opposition are dangerous

Where & how Nunez & Elliott gave the ball away for their last 2 goals was absolutely criminal

Jenson78
17th March 2024, 08:08 PM
For me he cant cope with pace of the premiership. I swear we only got him because Utd wanted him.

HLOGI
17th March 2024, 08:11 PM
How was our losing his fault? It was strolling pace for far too much of the game overplaying playing too slow & casual from start to finish, like we followed on from Sparta thinking we would stroll through it like that

I always think having a game like that Sparta one in which you can stroll & spend 80 plus minutes not getting out of 1st gear and still thrash the opposition are dangerous

Where & how Nunez & Elliott gave the ball away for their last 2 goals was absolutely criminal

He doesn't have great footballing ability or intelligence. His first thought is always his can I be the hero. So he shoots from the moon, the toilet everywhere. He passes only when he can't shoot, makes slow and wrong decisions. Couldn't recognize that the pass was on to one of his 2 attackers preferably Nunez because he was ponderous and carrying it too long cause perhaps he was trying to hold it until he could shoot. He thrn played a bad pass to Elliot. He was sloppy on the ball, he carried no threat, has no pave, guile, finishing, link up play.

JockStrap
17th March 2024, 08:14 PM

That’s the only bit of sense posted about the game. Ironically.

Insidious
17th March 2024, 08:15 PM
Small margins.

The mix-up between Elliott (wanting to blast it) and Endo (wanting to clear or keep possession) leads to their winning counter-attack.

In another World neither of them hesitates, the passage of play continues, we continue to bite our nails, penalties happen, Gakpo scores a winning pen and everyone makes jokes about a contract extension.

Today was awful and there were LOTS of individual errors and sloppy performances. We win together and we lose together - and we haven't been losing a whole lot.

Wallow in it for today but wake up tomorrow, dust it off and hopefully by the time the evening of March 31st comes around we have beaten Brighton and (right result permitting) are top of the League with 9 left to play and opportunities for individuals to redeem any indifferent patches or performances.

Nineteenx
17th March 2024, 08:19 PM
He doesn't have great footballing ability or intelligence. His first thought is always his can I be the hero. So he shoots from the moon, the toilet everywhere. He passes only when he can't shoot, makes slow and wrong decisions. Couldn't recognize that the pass was on to one of his 2 attackers preferably Nunez because he was ponderous and carrying it too long cause perhaps he was trying to hold it until he could shoot. He thrn played a bad pass to Elliot. He was sloppy on the ball, he carried no threat, has no pave, guile, finishing, link up play.

You could easily be describing Diaz in every game he plays, Elliott & Nunez at times Jota & Mo too

I’ve warned for a long time the overplaying has been severely blunting our once legendary ability on the counter, that we were forgetting how to take the shortest & right most direct path to goal with confidence & here we are

HLOGI
17th March 2024, 08:36 PM
You could easily be describing Diaz in every game he plays, Elliott & Nunez at times Jota & Mo too

I’ve warned for a long time the overplaying has been severely blunting our once legendary ability on the counter, that we were forgetting how to take the shortest & right most direct path to goal with confidence & here we are

Diaz I have my views. Elliot as well. Salah as well. Nunez as well. But the thread is about Gakpo. You may have seen on sone match threads I have tried to defend him and Elliot but in my heart if hearts I am convinced Gakpo is never going to be good enough. I am not seeing 1 strength of his that I can say right he can thrn improve on others. Nunez fir example pace and industry so the area he could eork on finishing, he is starting to chalk up/improve his finishing, also he has good passing range and vision that us why his assist are so good. Gakpo us selfish, slow in thought and pkay. I want him to work out but he gives me relegation/mid table level Dutch quality.

teesred
17th March 2024, 08:49 PM

Agree. Quite a few instances today where could have made clear chances but it was over though,slowed down and just ponderous.
We didn't work Onana as much as we should have considering the possession.

ianlfc
17th March 2024, 08:58 PM
Done absolutely nothing when he came on, Its either up the middle or nowhere with him.

HLOGI
17th March 2024, 09:30 PM
Done absolutely nothing when he came on, Its either up the middle or nowhere with him.

When Gakpo first came he played kind of like a Bobby rype of roll, coming deep linking play and did lots of unselfish rings like how Bobby used to do. It seemed like he could be a straight Bobby swap. I think however he has regressed or as time has gone his ability or quality is showing. Also his greedy selfishness I feel is not helping him. He could be racking up assists and he would be appreciated but I feel he is so desperate to force his way in by scoring goals that often makes the wrong decision. He is tense when he plays. I think he should just be okay with scoring 8 or 10 and work for the team and when he hits a purple patch then all good. He should offer what is his game and not worry about Jota/Nunez/Diaz. He should try to get into the tram doing Cody Gakpo things but not he is just thinking about scoring and rifling things from verywhere. The counter today I can forgive him but I am not happy in how he just shoots aimlessly and thrn just looks away. As soon as he is around the box outside or inside no matter thr angle or proximity of defenders he wants to shoot. And if you watch closely some of his shots actually lead to counter attacks because of how high we are and involved in attack then a richochette leads to a counter cause the fullback was in space but he shoots instead of shifting the ball.

Kev0909
18th March 2024, 12:04 PM

Out the door back to holland would be the best.

Steveo
18th March 2024, 12:15 PM
I feel sorry for the lad. Seems like a really nice bloke and I hope he comes through this turgid spell.

I was shocked though that Klopp couldn't find anyone else to see out the last 13 minutes. The one player in our attack who looked out of his depth v a championship outfit at Anfield - chosen to play - and seemingly through the middle at Old Trafford with a 1 goal lead.

I am Klopps biggest fan but anyone who has seen Cody live in the last few months knows - he is the last resort right now. Doesn't hold it up - doesn't move into space and is dispossessed so so easily.

Confidence on the floor. Badly needs goals. Would play him in games that are comfortably won or ones we don't care about. Get his head out of wherever it is,

Nineteenx
18th March 2024, 12:46 PM
Yet we lost because Nunez & Elliott lost possession ridiculously easily & needlessly both wanting too much time & telegraphing a pass that was never on to make

teesred
18th March 2024, 12:50 PM
Agree with Steveo's assessment there. I hope he can turn it around,hope he has a big part in whats left. It would be nice to see him score some crucial goals for his confidence.
He's just doing anything what's required though, he had absolutely zero positive impact yesterday. Danns must be thinking he's done something wrong, scored two against Saints and played well when he came in at Chelsea.
Not a sniff since get the other young lads have all had time on the pitch.

Martyboy
18th March 2024, 12:51 PM
I like Gakpo(he defo lacks a bit of pace)...But ultimately if all fit he's our 5th choice front man.....

Nineteenx
18th March 2024, 12:55 PM
Gakpo has one less goal than Diaz & hasn’t played as much

Diaz gets let off somehow when he’s actually worse, he gets so many minutes creates nothing doesn’t score or assist most of the time but runs around a lot doing some things that look good where it doesn’t count

Constantly takes too many touches, blocks our own players or gets in their way frequently too, Diaz is becoming Milan Baros

Nineteenx
18th March 2024, 12:57 PM
Agree with Steveo's assessment there. I hope he can turn it around,hope he has a big part in whats left. It would be nice to see him score some crucial goals for his confidence.
He's just doing anything what's required though, he had absolutely zero positive impact yesterday. Danns must be thinking he's done something wrong, scored two against Saints and played well when he came in at Chelsea.
Not a sniff since get the other young lads have all had time on the pitch.

Danns has had an injury & is only just back

Kev0909
18th March 2024, 01:00 PM

Even gravenberch would have been better but same situation, surprise bobby came on instead

Nineteenx
I like Gakpo(he defo lacks a bit of pace)...But ultimately if all fit he's our 5th choice front man.....

He was much better as a false 9 & when we played more directly because there were clear patterns of play to fit in to

I think he’s by no means our only player struggling to have the same impact since we’ve decided to massively overplay

Steveo
For me we lost because of Gakpo. He killed the attack dead - should have killed the game with a simple direct quicker run and even after not doing that a simple simple pass - and beyond that he killed the middle. Dropping in getting in peoples way and slowing everything down.

Even these ott Gakpo fans saw it.

https://youtu.be/MoGhwkkeMPk?feature=shared

Want and need him to come good but right now - last choice on the list. They say he is 16 on the list I put Danns ahead of him right now too.

Nineteenx
18th March 2024, 01:11 PM
We lost because Nunez & Elliott both gave the ball away really fucking stupidly in ridiculous situations

Gakpo was no doubt asked to drop in to try and link so someone, probably Darwin was supposed to be staying up so there was someone to link with

From the amount of times we’ve fucked up counters exactly like that one since the overplaying started in 21-22 it’s looking like an agenda trying to blame Gakpo for one, Diaz & Darwin fuck them up constantly going too early, Darwin went too early on that one too leaving Gakpo having to change his intended pass at the very last and let’s be honest, had he played the perfect ball for Elliott he wouldn’t have scored, he only scores via deflections or a team having to change keepers

Even though he got his fluky deflected goal Elliott was shit when he came on it was a noticeable huge drop in intensity & quality when he replaced Szobo

Steveo
18th March 2024, 01:18 PM
In your heavily biased opinion. Elliot even scoring a goal. Be fair mate - I get that you are loyal to some players - not a bad thing but like with Hendo you sometimes refuse to be candid about them.

Elliott made a mistake - Endo just as culpable if we are honest. Why were we so exposed going for a last gasp corner? Many things we can look at but the fact is - the attack was goosed in ET and Gakpo had fresh legs. He was beyond poor.

Watch the Southampton game.. He is running in Treacle. Needs something - I don't know what. But Klopp made a huge cockup bringing him on.

Kev0909
18th March 2024, 01:20 PM
At least the squad depth is better with gakpoo, but maybe origi was better and made more of a difference, I can't remember origi coming on and indirectly costing us games.

Attack is nothing compared to firmino MANE AND SALAH

Big difference mane in his prime, twice the player diaz is, robertson was better then too, because mane helped him alot also.

Nineteenx
18th March 2024, 01:22 PM
Anyway no point going on about it I warned about this happening 3 seasons ago, the issue with that situation wasn’t Gakpo it was a collectively issue of our players having become increasingly shitter on the counter, players not making great runs, going too early, not playing the right ball, I called it all happening

I thought Nunez should have just held his position

We had a few fails on not doing the basics of playing the percentages throughout that game too, when players had to go across the keeper because we had 2 players there to pounce on anything if the keeper saved it

It pisses me off every game were so fucking shite at playing the percentages it should be coached to kids from a very young age so thry grow up making the right decisions in those situations it is the most basic of things that every professional footballer should understand

You don’t have a great or the best of angles for your shot or to find a team mate in the box, but there are 2 around the far post who are infinitely more likely to score (as McTominay did) by you firing your shot on target across the keeper forcing him to parry

It’s that simple and we have consistently failed at that under Jurgen

Steveo
18th March 2024, 01:26 PM
Hang on though let;'s be fair.

We are only just emerging. from an injury crisis. We were in all 4 comps until last night. Never got close to that in 2019 or 2020. New midfield. We have hardly done badly.

The fact is there is another team now at the level of us and City that makes things tougher. We are transitioning the squad as players age. Not doing too badly.

The romance of number 6 and number 19 is clouding people a little. For almost 18 months we barely suffered any key injuries too. Ultimately it still manifested in the 1 major title over each season. This is a second attempt at a quad.

I admit that going for 4 is probably daft though - nobody has done it for a reason. It's just too many games. Possibly with any squad but certainly with one built on an FSG budget.

Nineteenx
18th March 2024, 01:30 PM
At least the squad depth is better with gakpoo, but maybe origi was better and made more of a difference, I can't remember origi coming on and indirectly costing us games.

Attack is nothing compared to firmino MANE AND SALAH

Big difference mane in his prime, twice the player diaz is, robertson was better then too, because mane helped him alot also.

Original was shit and did nothing most of the time, at least when we still had obvious triggers to follow last season Gakpo did it really well

When we had really obvious triggers for movement for certain types of run, the trademark Mane outside in run whenever the ball went to Trent Mo or Hendo on our right Origi never even grasped that

It kind of leads on to my point re the Diaz Gakpo & others discussion, because Diaz like Gakpo immediately slotted into the movement & triggers if how we used to play too, when he first arrived he played LFWD on the shoulder with the runs in behind and all Mane’s trademark runs & movement really well, because there were triggers & structure for him to apply his abilities into

That’s the danger of overplaying, you lose the structure of players making simple routine almost like set plays in open plays in which every player is really decisive because they know what’s coming and what works and exactly what to do -

CCTV
18th March 2024, 01:30 PM
We lost because Nunez & Elliott both gave the ball away really fucking stupidly in ridiculous situations

Gakpo was no doubt asked to drop in to try and link so someone, probably Darwin was supposed to be staying up so there was someone to link with

From the amount of times we’ve fucked up counters exactly like that one since the overplaying started in 21-22 it’s looking like an agenda trying to blame Gakpo for one, Diaz & Darwin fuck them up constantly going too early, Darwin went too early on that one too leaving Gakpo having to change his intended pass at the very last and let’s be honest, had he played the perfect ball for Elliott he wouldn’t have scored, he only scores via deflections or a team having to change keepers

Even though he got his fluky deflected goal Elliott was shit when he came on it was a noticeable huge drop in intensity & quality when he replaced Szobo

Núñez was dispossessed just outside their box, they went the length of the field and scored.

We were 3-2 up with 15 to play. Couldn't see it out, not sure how that's Núñez's fault.

Rashford could have had a hattrick on the day, constantly found in good goalscoring situations.
We've seen this before.

teesred
18th March 2024, 01:35 PM

He was on the bench yesterday. No reason why he couldn't have got some time.

justincredible
19th March 2024, 02:01 PM
Cody Gak-poo....
47 game, 12 goals. Nowhere near good enough for LFC...

Vaarwel mijn vriend...

teesred
19th March 2024, 03:45 PM
Cody Gak-poo....
47 game, 12 goals. Nowhere near good enough for LFC...

Vaarwel mijn vriend...

How many league goals does he have since he arrived?

Kev0909
19th March 2024, 03:50 PM
He scored against the mighty luton and brentford at least..... 5 goals this season

it wouldn't be too bad if he actually could link up play well he can't even do that, he cost us v Utd sadly. he seems to score when we score 4 (3 goals from that) spurs and wolves he scored which was only 3-1 win and 2-1 loss

Compared to dutch league his assists are shocking in the EPL.... sometimes players just aren't made for this league.

Nineteenx
19th March 2024, 08:32 PM
He scored against the mighty luton and brentford at least..... 5 goals this season

it wouldn't be too bad if he actually could link up play well he can't even do that, he cost us v Utd sadly. he seems to score when we score 4 (3 goals from that) spurs and wolves he scored which was only 3-1 win and 2-1 loss

Compared to dutch league his assists are shocking in the EPL.... sometimes players just aren't made for this league.

Diaz the same for me only seems to score when it doesn’t really count doesn’t do anything particularly well right now, doesn’t threaten nearly enough, Diaz actually gets in our other players way quite often too