Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: Contracts and Squad

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    I agree. But it's the way it is. We build up players , young prospects only a tiny percentage come through.

Over the last 10 years how many?
    Or over 40 years?

So many young players dont make it through for x y z reasons.

Sold, with buy back clause.
    I know we haven't brought many players through recently (TTA is the only one I can think of) but I reckon our youth set up is better run now so hopefully we should see more come through making the bench at least! I'd get rid of our 2 back up keepers and give one of the youth lads the spot on the bench. The Polish lad and the Irish lad looked decent in pre-season.

If we don't develop our own youth players we end up buying someone else's down the line. van Dijk was in nappies once.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    If we don't develop our own youth players we end up buying someone else's down the line. van Dijk was in nappies once.
    You know it never works like that.
    Even west ham the world centre of the academy doesn't do it anymore.

Which club in the premier league does it?
    Championship?
    PSG?
    Juve?
    Real...
    “We have to change, from doubters to believers—now.”

Must admit, I hadn't seen anything of Brewster before, but an attached video to the Glatzel one is below.
    He looks like he could become our Rashford!

https://youtu.be/KLIi6NRowRE

Can't imbed, sorry.
    You are essentially an oxygen thief.

You know it never works like that.
    Even west ham the world centre of the academy doesn't do it anymore.

Which club in the premier league does it?
    Championship?
    PSG?
    Juve?
    Real...
    Not sure I follow, I was simply pointing out that every player was a kid once, and not good enough

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47283936

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    Not sure I follow, I was simply pointing out that every player was a kid once, and not good enough

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47283936
    Players mature at different rates though, there are very few centre backs who are at their very best between 18 and 22, whereas a striker may well have his best years at that age.

With the VvD example there, he wasn't going to learn how to be the world's best centre back whilst playing against strikers in the Dutch league, or in the Scottish league. It wasn't until he was working week in and week out trying to figure out how to stop some of the best strikers in the world that he really learned his craft.

That's the main reason I'd be steering clear of De Ligt at the moment, especially for the sort of price that has been banded around. He looks very pretty on the ball when he has all the time in the world, and he seems like he can handle playing against forwards in the Eredivise easy enough. But to spend 75m on someone who is going to need coddling for a season or two is more than any sensible club should be paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Clungeman View Post
    Players mature at different rates though, there are very few centre backs who are at their very best between 18 and 22, whereas a striker may well have his best years at that age.

With the VvD example there, he wasn't going to learn how to be the world's best centre back whilst playing against strikers in the Dutch league, or in the Scottish league. It wasn't until he was working week in and week out trying to figure out how to stop some of the best strikers in the world that he really learned his craft.

That's the main reason I'd be steering clear of De Ligt at the moment, especially for the sort of price that has been banded around. He looks very pretty on the ball when he has all the time in the world, and he seems like he can handle playing against forwards in the Eredivise easy enough. But to spend 75m on someone who is going to need coddling for a season or two is more than any sensible club should be paying.
    This is why Gomez deserves a lot of credit, he was thrown in at left back when he had just arrived at 17 years old (I think he was 17). Has only had a few dodgy performances since, very bright future head if he can stay fit. Would like to see Hoever get more games in the same way but every game is too important now.

On top of this, James Milner is one of the highest paid players at the club, and his contract expires this summer, so in total there is the potential to free up around £600k on the wage bill which, bar Milner, won’t affect the first team at all.
    We're in quite a fortunate position in that regard in some ways - the potential for a lot of "free'd up" wages without the team suffering, which can go some way towards paying wages for quality - hopefully in a couple of positions!

Could end up getting our "Fekir" (whoever it is) role filled, could consider another defensive signing and/or could get an attacker - perhaps a "pure" striker with our front three playing behind - who knows.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

U23s won 2-0

Glatzel’s 24th of the season, and his second in four games for the U23s, and coming after signing his first professional contract with the club on Wednesday this further highlighted the striker’s potential.

Woodburn played 60+ minutes.

Glatzel deserves first team game time before Sturridge or Origi ever play again.