Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293233343536373839

Thread: Brexit thread 2 Electric Boogaloo

I know next to nothing about politics and even less about economics, but (extremely broadly speaking) I'd expect you to pursue closer ties with the US (cough acting like the 51st state cough) and using the power of London to keep trade flowing. It doesn't seem like leaving the EU will have catastrophic consequenses economically, at least not long term. Afaik the projections of businesses leaving the City in droves haven't been born out, so its power relative to the like of Frankfurt won't decrease as substantially as one might have feared.

I also don't think the second Scottish referendum will see them leave, though I'm not particularly well informed on that either.

The rest follows - if you've got money that's not generated by digging up raw resources from the earth, you tend to do ok. Wether Brexit solves the issues voters who voted for it wanted it to solve remains to be seen. I'm not 100% sure how many of those had to do with the EU and how many were down to your own governments.

Besides - you're British. You've had it so unbelievably good for so unbelievably long, it's hard to imagine you not doing well. You're a bit like the Manchester United of countries.

For me personally it's a bit of a bummer as it'll be harder to visit the isles, but hey-ho - plenty of other ex-empires whose cultures and history I've seen nothing of yet.
    Last edited by Balinkay; 2nd February 2020 at 08:19 PM.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Ugh! The Manchester United of countries?!*! - financially well off but a bit crap? prawn sandwiches and Boris at the wheel...

I suppose Britain will be okay economically (also no idea why!, just because!) - but I wonder at what cost.

(meaning Britain the state will be okay. Britain the people? Time will tell..)

Scottish independence would be interesting. Can't see it being allowed to happen though.

I do wonder about the people. I get the feeling the EU might have been used as a convenient scapegoat by politicians and what passes for media these days for a while in order to deflect blame.

CC posted a fun video which showed the wealth inequality index (which i supposedly a pretty good indicator for how well the people are in a given country) is slowly rising in the most prosperous EU countries, but the UK is significantly higher than say Germany.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    I know next to nothing about politics and even less about economics, but (extremely broadly speaking) I'd expect you to pursue closer ties with the US (cough acting like the 51st state cough) and using the power of London to keep trade flowing. It doesn't seem like leaving the EU will have catastrophic consequenses economically, at least not long term. Afaik the projections of businesses leaving the City in droves haven't been born out, so its power relative to the like of Frankfurt won't decrease as substantially as one might have feared.

I also don't think the second Scottish referendum will see them leave, though I'm not particularly well informed on that either.

The rest follows - if you've got money that's not generated by digging up raw resources from the earth, you tend to do ok. Wether Brexit solves the issues voters who voted for it wanted it to solve remains to be seen. I'm not 100% sure how many of those had to do with the EU and how many were down to your own governments.

Besides - you're British. You've had it so unbelievably good for so unbelievably long, it's hard to imagine you not doing well. You're a bit like the Manchester United of countries.

For me personally it's a bit of a bummer as it'll be harder to visit the isles, but hey-ho - plenty of other ex-empires whose cultures and history I've seen nothing of yet.
    Italy
    France
    Spain
    Holland

I prefer Italy ; for the food culture and sightseeing

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    I do wonder about the people. I get the feeling the EU might have been used as a convenient scapegoat by politicians and what passes for media these days for a while in order to deflect blame.

CC posted a fun video which showed the wealth inequality index (which i supposedly a pretty good indicator for how well the people are in a given country) is slowly rising in the most prosperous EU countries, but the UK is significantly higher than say Germany.
    Media and immigration
    History always tells us that immigration is always a good scapegoat

Media makes people afraid
    Controls the fears

Fires, viruses, Brexit.... oh war , famine, and severe climate catastrophic conditions

Did you see 175mm in a few hours rain in Brazil

Raining more and bigger quantities. Then in the summer very dry and very hot

Do you trust the media in any country?