Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit thread 2 Electric Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    The bigger question I want to know is , who are the fucking headers who stand outside the houses of parliament protesting and shouting at reporters ?
    Isn't it people who're annoyed that "No deal" was basically taken off the table as an option.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Next up ...

29th of March is d-day

EU want UK out. No extension

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Ok, CC. Gave the inequality video a watch. Very enlightening. Actually remembered I might have seen it years ago. Some points smell somewhat fishy and it's TED, so I automatically approach it with a pinch of salt, but it was very informative. Cheers!

Think it shows pretty clearly that countries with a large healthy and wealthy middle class (not as in rich, which is what I think that means in England, but as in "in the middle"), such as Germany and Denmark do well.
    Should be intuitive unless you've lost 1 of the 2 common moral channels !

It is, of course. Like I said, in hypothetical scenarios where everyone makes 10 dollars a year and one where 80% make 1000 and 20% make 10000000, I know which one I'd pick. I'm not sure battling income inequality necessitates hating rich people, but rather helping poor ones. In the end of the day, the inequality will decrease either way.

Obviously I'm a fan of a large middle class, I live in a place which is stereotypically known for it!
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    6. How can you offer a referendum to the people on such a complex issue?
    Late to this party but I find this question to be one of the most pertinent.

It was an enormous risk and one that Cameron massively underestimated. Staggering that the Tories are still in power.

If you simplify and polarise every bastard thing then you're going to end up with a confused mess like this. People are firmly in their camps now because they've been encouraged to be tribal about it. It's a tired comparison to draw but it's happened in the US with Trump. Having two options for issues as complex as this, with ramifications as high as this, is fucking mental in my opinion.

Bal, I really do still plan on getting back to you re this whole thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you were mainly interested in how the UK benefits economically from being in the EU? I know it was fucking ages ago. Sorry.

No worries mate, good things come to those who wait.

Yes, that was what interested me most. Would like to know how the impasse in Ireland could be solved too, since at the time I didn't know it was quite as big a deal as it is.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

at the time I didn't know it was quite as big a deal
    Don't feel bad, pretty sure most of the MPs didn't either.

It is, of course. Like I said, in hypothetical scenarios where everyone makes 10 dollars a year and one where 80% make 1000 and 20% make 10000000, I know which one I'd pick. I'm not sure battling income inequality necessitates hating rich people, but rather helping poor ones. In the end of the day, the inequality will decrease either way.

Obviously I'm a fan of a large middle class, I live in a place which is stereotypically known for it!
    I think you are still getting this wrong. Your proposing the situation if I read you right as misleading. Income inequality attached to 10$ a year and not with $1000 and a mill.
    Heres a video from Mark Blythe where he touches on a lot of the issues. Even showing how the post ww2 to 1970s era was synonymous with the golden age of income equality and how it created the middle class. Seems you're opposing it due to a preference for a large middle class which it actually created. Hits on dickos Czech republic too and the state of the euro currency with its consequences in an interactive sense. Also detailing the switch in aims from full employment as a goal say to where we are now.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BsqGITb0W4A

It's not about hating the rich, it's about having more equality in the society/system. It benefits the rich too, see Denmark et al where they have lower crime rates.
    The rich though and there are billionaires who are currently saying that without addressing the inequality the rich will end up being hated and historically they then get attacked.

Again on your 2 systems redistributing wealth this video shows the 2 systems at play. The golden age of wealth distribution and the rise of the middle classes, versus the age of inequality and the squeezed middle.
    Pretty mad how many liberals are so attached to Regan/Thatcher and now beat on the unemployed.

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    Yep another valid point.
    This is the case in other wealthy European countries.
    Immigrants (I hate this term) taking our jobs. Bullshit , people too lazy to work.

The average EEA migrant arriving in 2016 will contribute a discounted total of around £78,000 to the UK public finances over his or her lifetime.

Overall, the future net contribution of 2016 arrivals alone to the UK public finances is estimated at £25bn.

Had there been no immigration at all in 2016, the rest of us would have had, over time, to find £25bn, through higher taxes, public service cuts, or higher borrowing.
    I reckon you should watch this video too, it's long but hits a lot of topics and saves me paraphrasing it badly
    It shows how the switch to Regan/Thatcher policies have impacted on policy, no longer aiming for full employment, stagnant wages etc.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BsqGITb0W4A