Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2567891011121314151617181922 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 450

Thread: Around the world News

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    17,562
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    French President Macron has called the Amazon fires an international crisis, declaring "Our house is burning" - sounds like something Greta Thunberg would say.
    at least someone has spoken about it.

    Nothing ever gets done mind

  2. #112
    Meanwhile in the USA they're building schools with impact resistant windows, curved corridors and classrooms with hiding places and central locking just in case of a shooter.

    Surprised they don't issue body armour as part of the school uniform.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49447335

  3. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    Meanwhile in the USA they're building schools with impact resistant windows, curved corridors and classrooms with hiding places and central locking just in case of a shooter.

    Surprised they don't issue body armour as part of the school uniform.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49447335
    Why don't they just build something that stops nutters bringing guns into a school or anywhere near it?

  4. #114
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    3,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    Why don't they just build something that stops nutters bringing guns into a school or anywhere near it?
    because it's US of A
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

  5. #115
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    3,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Think climate change is basically impossible to combat sadly. In a democratic political system it seems really difficult to promise to tackle issues which will not be relevant to voters in the next four-five years, because people just won't vote for you. That's why you see so many running on "I'll raise pensions and lower the retiring age!" as opposed to "I'll fund education!". Children just don't vote and their parents have more important issues. Same thing with the environment. You have to have it extremely well and have absurdly few issues in order to actually consider voting for someone who will work towards solving the issues of the next generation rather than your own.
    The way things are going with climate change and other greed-related issues, we won't have a planet before very long.
    Burning the Amazon rainforest, icebergs/north pole & south pole melting, wildlife species and plants/trees being wiped out.
    How proud do you feel about what mankind is doing to destroy the planet?
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

  6. #116
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    21,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Think climate change is basically impossible to combat sadly. In a democratic political system it seems really difficult to promise to tackle issues which will not be relevant to voters in the next four-five years, because people just won't vote for you. That's why you see so many running on "I'll raise pensions and lower the retiring age!" as opposed to "I'll fund education!". Children just don't vote and their parents have more important issues. Same thing with the environment. You have to have it extremely well and have absurdly few issues in order to actually consider voting for someone who will work towards solving the issues of the next generation rather than your own.

    Also what the fuck is the deal with this Swedish child? Did I miss something?
    She broke down in tears and got emotional and then went around European parliaments telling politicians to panic like your house is on fire !!
    If your house is on fire DO NOT PANIC - stay calm and follow your pre planned exit strategy. If you are panicked you dont think straight and use up oxygen at an alarming rate acting the tit. CALM DOWN...

    Anyway since then shes knocking off school for a year and travelling around the world raising awareness about global warming and being entertained royally, having declared she doesnt care if she is unpopular for her message. A paradox of sorts. Think bands have done or doing a record with her, hard to keep up with the personal benefits.

    Having received a bit of flack for her traveling methods already she decided to take a transatlantic "carbon neutral" sea voyage.
    On board a carbon fibre (10 times as heavy co2 production than steel) solar powered (using sunflowers obviously) vessel provided by the Monaco royal family, as you do.
    Yet this carbon neutral claim has been further undermined by claims that the crewmen hired on the outgoing leg will be flown back to the EU and other crew flown out to return the vessel.
    This has now been acknowledged as a mistake made due to the very short term planning panic induced reaction to criticism. So they are gonna spend more money on top of the crews pay and flights expense on offsetting her carbon footprint allegedly.
    Why she couldn't just videolink her speeches, stay in school and use all the money being spent on her to plant trees etc is a bit of a mystery. But then she wouldnt get the chance to be flown and ferried around the world and a year off school.

    Heres a small enough clip of one of her speeches, loaded with questionable additions/attitudes and certain politics....


    And heres a story from Sweden about some dubious for profit start up/charity yoke where I think they keep 90% of donations made to them to invest at their whim.
    https://www.thelocal.se/20190209/start-up-used-child-climate-activist-to-raise-million

    It's not like carbon capture technology hasnt seen breakthroughs returning co2 to coal/fluid at room temperature, nor is there a small amount being invested in research already.

    3 ways to reduce your carbon footprint by 60%

    11:53 - step one : change your energy provider to one that uses alternative energy, like solar, which doesn't use fossil fuels to cut carbon footprint by 15%

    12:44 - step two: heating and cooling your home, most of which is run using electricity so refer back to step one. use products that don't create fossil fuels for non-electric heating. this is another 17%

    14:24 - step three: switch your car fuel. use ethanol instead of gas/petrol, this requires an adapter which costs less than 300$ and takes less than an hour to install. use biodiesel instead of diesel, no adapter required. use an electric car, but make sure the electricity used to charge does't come from a source which doesn't release fossil carbon. reduces 32%

    Now cars are being considered for elimination from society on account of their production pollution as opposed to operating pollution.

    Yet if industry could match this potential reduction similarly the 50%reduction in co2 would be done quite easily.

  7. #117
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    City of Self Doubt
    Posts
    16,839
    Cheers CC!

    Had a bad feeling there was something rotten in the state of… Sweden.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

  8. #118
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    3,407
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    She broke down in tears and got emotional and then went around European parliaments telling politicians to panic like your house is on fire !!
    If your house is on fire DO NOT PANIC - stay calm and follow your pre planned exit strategy. If you are panicked you dont think straight and use up oxygen at an alarming rate acting the tit. CALM DOWN...

    Anyway since then shes knocking off school for a year and travelling around the world raising awareness about global warming and being entertained royally, having declared she doesnt care if she is unpopular for her message. A paradox of sorts. Think bands have done or doing a record with her, hard to keep up with the personal benefits.

    Having received a bit of flack for her traveling methods already she decided to take a transatlantic "carbon neutral" sea voyage.
    On board a carbon fibre (10 times as heavy co2 production than steel) solar powered (using sunflowers obviously) vessel provided by the Monaco royal family, as you do.
    Yet this carbon neutral claim has been further undermined by claims that the crewmen hired on the outgoing leg will be flown back to the EU and other crew flown out to return the vessel.
    This has now been acknowledged as a mistake made due to the very short term planning panic induced reaction to criticism. So they are gonna spend more money on top of the crews pay and flights expense on offsetting her carbon footprint allegedly.
    Why she couldn't just videolink her speeches, stay in school and use all the money being spent on her to plant trees etc is a bit of a mystery. But then she wouldnt get the chance to be flown and ferried around the world and a year off school.

    Heres a small enough clip of one of her speeches, loaded with questionable additions/attitudes and certain politics....


    And heres a story from Sweden about some dubious for profit start up/charity yoke where I think they keep 90% of donations made to them to invest at their whim.
    https://www.thelocal.se/20190209/start-up-used-child-climate-activist-to-raise-million

    It's not like carbon capture technology hasnt seen breakthroughs returning co2 to coal/fluid at room temperature, nor is there a small amount being invested in research already.

    3 ways to reduce your carbon footprint by 60%

    11:53 - step one : change your energy provider to one that uses alternative energy, like solar, which doesn't use fossil fuels to cut carbon footprint by 15%

    12:44 - step two: heating and cooling your home, most of which is run using electricity so refer back to step one. use products that don't create fossil fuels for non-electric heating. this is another 17%

    14:24 - step three: switch your car fuel. use ethanol instead of gas/petrol, this requires an adapter which costs less than 300$ and takes less than an hour to install. use biodiesel instead of diesel, no adapter required. use an electric car, but make sure the electricity used to charge does't come from a source which doesn't release fossil carbon. reduces 32%

    Now cars are being considered for elimination from society on account of their production pollution as opposed to operating pollution.

    Yet if industry could match this potential reduction similarly the 50%reduction in co2 would be done quite easily.
    Industry reducing its carbon footprint - try telling that to USA and China, probably the two biggest industrial nations in the world.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

  9. #119
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    City of Self Doubt
    Posts
    16,839
    The thing with China is that their CO2 emissions per capita are similar to those of Finland and the Czech Republic. There's just a lot of people in China!
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

  10. #120
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    21,213
    Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Industry reducing its carbon footprint - try telling that to USA and China, probably the two biggest industrial nations in the world.
    The Chinese are making decent efforts and while trump took the USA out of the Paris deal American states are still cracking on with climate change initiatives, to what levels of success I cant say for sure but the individual and society can do it's part through choice. Think trump just saw the accord as a rip off tbh and another means of wealth transfer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    The thing with China is that their CO2 emissions per capita are similar to those of Finland and the Czech Republic. There's just a lot of people in China!
    Yep, they've invested a fair bit in green tech too. Saying that I think they have 2km length trains bringing coal to depots.
    Global demographic predictions as outlined in the Guardian (that right wing paper) indicate by 2030 that whites will be 8%of the global population and by the end of the century just 3%. Most of the world will be Asian or African come the end of the century so it'll come down to what they do really.

Similar Threads

  1. A world of good
    By worldpanel in forum Football Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25th February 2020, 11:26 PM
  2. Klopp: We're one of world's best
    By Sky Sports in forum LFC News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24th February 2020, 12:30 AM
  3. Klopp: We’re one of world's best
    By Sky Sports in forum LFC News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24th February 2020, 12:03 AM
  4. Cricket World Cup
    By Nineteenx in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 2nd August 2019, 12:50 AM
  5. Women's World Cup.
    By shminkyred in forum Football Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 14th June 2019, 09:52 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •