Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 811121314151617181920212223242528 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the world News

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    Yes I watched it, thanks, he's very good, so good I watched it again.

At first I thought you were trying to connect it to our earlier discussion about Greta Thunberg and the environment but that would confirm my suspicion that we were talking about two different things. It's all about context.
    While obviously different to a degree, there is a similarity between the 2 examples.

Dave Chappelle didnt mock Juicey because he hates gay black French men. I'd say the same about Gretas critics in the main.

You seem to see it in one case and not in the other, which does hit on the David Pizzaro research I'd highlighted earlier with respect to liberal and conservative biases.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    While obviously different to a degree, there is a similarity between the 2 examples.
    Dave Chappelle didnt mock Juicey because he hates gay black French men. I'd say the same about Gretas critics in the main.

You seem to see it in one case and not in the other, which does hit on the David Pizzaro research I'd highlighted earlier with respect to liberal and conservative biases.
    I'm really trying to see some similarity between the two examples so let's assume that Jussie Smollett and Greta Thunberg have both made spurious, outlandish claims, and if you like, let's also imagine that they have both done so dishonestly and for personal gain.

The tiny bit of my post that you seem to take issue with was:

"And I do believe politicians have taken umbrage because she's young and female, which amuses me - they could criticise her arguments not her pigtails, age, gender etc."

Greta made her claims and instead of debating and dismantling her argument, elected politicians make personal insults about her.

Jussie makes his claims and a comedian, Dave Chappelle, thoroughly and clinically dismantles his claims, piece by piece.

Big difference.

And by the way, Jussie was the one that made it about him being black and gay - Chappelle just picked it up and ran with it.

I'm really trying to see some similarity between the two examples so let's assume that Jussie Smollett and Greta Thunberg have both made spurious, outlandish claims, and if you like, let's also imagine that they have both done so dishonestly and for personal gain.

The tiny bit of my post that you seem to take issue with was:

"And I do believe politicians have taken umbrage because she's young and female, which amuses me - they could criticise her arguments not her pigtails, age, gender etc."

Greta made her claims and instead of debating and dismantling her argument, elected politicians make personal insults about her.

Jussie makes his claims and a comedian, Dave Chappelle, thoroughly and clinically dismantles his claims, piece by piece.

Big difference.

And by the way, Jussie was the one that made it about him being black and gay - Chappelle just picked it up and ran with it.
    Far more people than chapelle criticised Juicey, including politicians. While chapelle has been critiqued heavily for his bigotry also...

If you look at her speech a few pages back you can see she introduces her age, which is common enough granted, while she uses language that is partisan and attacks many people in her speech.
    Her age is an important part of why she was chosen, both by the media and the start up. They've decided to put her front and centre as she is a young teenage (autistic) girl and it is why she is being considered for the Nobel Peace Prize as they have made her an icon.
    Putting a teen girl forward makes for a very good shield.

Going out with such a message is a rather silly means of campaigning. If you want to raise your head above the parapet and throw insults about in this internet age, unfortunately, it is sadly to be expected that you should get some in return.
    Similarly if you want to introduce a partisan element you will hamper your own appeal.

Arron Banks posted a tweet 'Freak yachting accidents do happen in August ... '

Labour MP David Lammy described the post as "nasty, wicked" and "evil". And terribly sad this man has bankrolled the peril facing our country," he added.
    Sherlock actor Amanda Abbington tweeted: “You’re wishing a potentially fatal accident onto a sixteen year old girl, why..?”
    Earlier, she wrote: “If you are a grown up, fully-fledged adult and you are mocking this young girl for trying to save the planet then I genuinely feel sorry for you. I also think you are incredibly cruel, vicious and ignorant."
    In reply to the Brexit backer’s response to her tweet, Ms Lucas wrote: “Arron Banks’ vile tweet about @GretaThunberg makes me sick to the stomach. I have made a formal complaint to Twitter.”
    Femi Oluwole, the co-founder of pro-EU campaign group Our Future Our Choice, tweeted: “Just the man who's been bankrolling Brexit and Nigel Farage since the start threatening to kill an autistic child...”
    Professor Tanja Bueltmann, founder of campaign group EU Citizens’ Champion, wrote: “I didn’t think Arron Banks could possibly sink any lower. He did.”

Banks later replied it was a joke.
    Last edited by CCTV; 5th September 2019 at 02:37 AM.

I somehow doubt that her criticism, insult and 'death threat' were based on her age but rather her message.

Banks later replied it was a joke.
    Wasn't Aaron Banks one of those that was pissing and moaning over Jo Brand's joke about throwing acid rather than milkshakes at the likes of Farage and Tommy Robinson? Someone ought to point out to him that if you can't take it, you shouldn't be dishing it out!

I somehow doubt that her criticism, insult and 'death threat' were based on her age but rather her message.
    Yes, her criticism and opposition is obviously based on her message (which I said is fair enough), but the personal insults from elected politicians (I wasn’t talking about anonymous internet trolls) were made instead of debating to dismantle her message, which led me to say that it bugs these old men that she’s a young girl telling them what to do, they don’t like it, that amused me. And it reveals something about them, not her.

Instead of publicly wishing a mid ocean accident on her this bloke could have simply pointed out that her carbon neutral yacht was anything but. These petty personal insults just play into their opponent’s hands.

Yes, her criticism and opposition is obviously based on her message (which I said is fair enough), but the personal insults from elected politicians (I wasn’t talking about anonymous internet trolls) were made instead of debating to dismantle her message, which led me to say that it bugs these old men that she’s a young girl telling them what to do, they don’t like it, that amused me. And it reveals something about them, not her.

Instead of publicly wishing a mid ocean accident on her this bloke could have simply pointed out that her carbon neutral yacht was anything but. These petty personal insults just play into their opponent’s hands.
    Twitter doesnt exactly bring out the best in people on account of its format and algorithms which seek to inflame division, drive outrage and profit off the effect.

I somehow doubt his twatter post was him expressing his desire to see Greta drown at sea, guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

As per her, as said, she dished out some insults herself and as such is not exactly without culpability for the reactions she generates.

I somehow doubt these same people joined the outrage gang when an 8 year old girl received actual deaths threats having parodied the American politician AOC the progressive justice democrat on twatter. At which point her accounts were deleted.
    Wrong half of the political divide.

Quote Originally Posted by Clungeman View Post
    Wasn't Aaron Banks one of those that was pissing and moaning over Jo Brand's joke about throwing acid rather than milkshakes at the likes of Farage and Tommy Robinson? Someone ought to point out to him that if you can't take it, you shouldn't be dishing it out!
    I really dont know if he did. However I doubt that Jo would relish the actuality of seeing Farages face destroyed by an acid attack either. Similiar happened with George Carlin iirc the day before 911 and he removed the content.

I wonder if those who decry Banks comment had also decried the comment made by Jo Brand ?
    Or did they defend her rights to joke at that earlier time ? Or even defend the action of throwing whatever the could get their hands on at such 'white supremacists' ?

I think the idea that the tweet was him threatening to kill Greta is a lot over the top.

The sentiment of having someone perish at nature's hand irrespective of whether they are 16 and within ASD highlights an insecurity in Bank's mind