Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 31343536373839404142434445 LastLast

Thread: Around the world News

I've taken worse in my younger days, I'll run the risk .

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    It's usually five to ten years I believe. However, COVID's genome was really quickly sequenced and everyone had basically infinite money so they could perform all test phases in parallel, rather than sequentially. That's my understanding anyway.
    In terms of development but how do you track side effects? Something may show up in 7 months? You can't fast track that!
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    In terms of development but how do you track side effects? Something may show up in 7 months? You can't fast track that!
    Well no, but something might show up in 20 years too, so you've basically always got this problem.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

I read an article by a researcher who said that yes, usually it's ten years for a vaccine but a lot of that is time spent fund raising, applying for grants, waiting, and dealing with red tape but this time they were able to skip all that bullshit.

It is concerning that the UK approved a German vaccine before Germany did but hey viva la brexit and all that.

It is concerning that they predicted in March that they'd have a vaccine by the Autumn, when a vaccine for a coronavirus had never been made before, then three come along at once, if you don't include the Russian and Chinese ones.

It's concerning that these vaccine firms have a history of court cases behind them but this time they are exempt from paying damages in the event of adverse side effects.

It's concerning that the vaccine is perfectly safe but won't be given to pregnant women or women planning to be pregnant because they don't know how it will affect them. But it's safe.

Plenty of reasons to be cautious without entertaining conspiracy theories. Funny how the media 'debunk' fake vaccine rumours yet dismiss the Russian vaccine out of hand.

I'm concerned that this will divide people into the vaxxed and unvaxxed.

Well no, but something might show up in 20 years too, so you've basically always got this problem.
    You can "eliminate" that possibility by looking at stats. There are always outliers but if you took a sample of medicines in testing and looked at the period in which time detrimental side factors became know or presented themselves - there would be few or very little at the 20-year mark. Also, these thing evolve. Whereas, in a shorter period - you'll have more that were abandoned due to negative side effects even within 1 to 2 year timeframe
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Yeah for sure - it's definitely going to be more risky, but some risk is always going to be there.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Why is the UK approving it before Germany concerning?
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Because it's German?

The UK approving anything these days, is something of concern.

Especially with Bozza

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    Because it's German?
    I don't understand. A vaccine is a vaccine - what does it matter where it comes from? I'm guessing every government is given enough of it to conduct its tests as soon as possible, especially the richer ones. Someone was bound to approve it before everyone else.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non