Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm backing Robbo and Trent

Thanks, terrific video. Some of those crosses are sublime, but the runs and first touch by the recipients are just beautiful.

What’s more worrying though, is how few of those goals I remember. #Oldmanproblems
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

What a player he already is. I know he can be a bit careless with those blind infield passes but his general forward play is absolutely world class. His defending will only improve with age.

Trent apparently needs 38 assists in his next 430 matches to match Paul Scholes' tally.

Presumably Scholes holds the assist record in the League, hence him being the name to compare to?

You do wonder how good Trent can be - I doubt Dani Alves was this good at 21, not to mention the players he went on to share a pitch with.

I really believe this group (and the players that will help it evolve in the coming years can do special things - perhaps not replicating '08-'14 Barcelona, but they can certainly achieve a lot, especially if Pep moves on to give us a clearer run.

According to the Premier League site Trent has 19 assists in 72 appearances

https://www.premierleague.com/players/14732/Trent-Alexander-Arnold/stats

According to Wiki it's Ryan Giggs with the most assists in the Premier League:
    1. Ryan Giggs has 162 assists in 632 games
    2. Cesc Fabregas has 111 assists in 350 games
    3. Wayne Rooney has 103 assists in 491 games
    6. Steven Gerrard has 92 assists in 504 games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_records_and_statistics#Assists

No mention of Scholes in the top ten assistants but the Premier League site says he has 56 assists in 513 games

Appreciate that stevie - wonder what the significance of Scholes was in the stat given the above info.

Maybe it was just our fans being a tad salty that he's regarded by some as better than Gerrard.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Yeah think it's just that Scholes has surprisingly low stats compared to his reputation (and he's a manc)

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    Thanks, terrific video. Some of those crosses are sublime, but the runs and first touch by the recipients are just beautiful.

What’s more worrying though, is how few of those goals I remember. #Oldmanproblems
    The touch is made easy by the pass, I've noticed this as part of how we do things very differently to a lot of teams, watch carefully, the vast majority of our longer passes are hit with A LOT of the backspin and driven so they get quickly up and down to where they are going, the back spin makes sure the ball gets up and down quickly, a ball arriving to you with back spin on is A LOT easier to control. Watch Van Dijk and Hendo's longer balls, they touch the ball to the right before playing it quite frequently, so they can generate more back spin playing against the spin on the ball, Trent and all our other players use the technique of playing against the spin of the ball brilliantly a lot of the time.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

There is no way on earth that those punched cross field balls from Trent are easy to control. They have plenty of spin and it isn’t just back spin. Watch Mané take some of them from the air. Sublime skill to kill a ball like that and leave it where you want before a killer pass or a run or a shot at goal.

Part of what strikes fear into most sides about our front 3 is that ability - they all have it - to take a fast moving ball on the run. It take world class ability to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    There is no way on earth that those punched cross field balls from Trent are easy to control. They have plenty of spin and it isn’t just back spin. Watch Mané take some of them from the air. Sublime skill to kill a ball like that and leave it where you want before a killer pass or a run or a shot at goal.

Part of what strikes fear into most sides about our front 3 is that ability - they all have it - to take a fast moving ball on the run. It take world class ability to do that.
    Most of those balls are played with A LOT of backspin, yes players still have to great skill to control them, but they are A LOT easier to control, watch a lot of other teams, they play the same balls, most of them with top spin or none, far harder to control and it shows, if you hit and up and down ball that far at that speed with that amount of back spin pitching around 25 yards from goal, if no-one touches it, it might not even cross the byline or reach their keeper, you can see that on a lot of our crosses compared to other teams, if a cross is over hit, it hits the deck then slows up A LOT of the time, allowing one of our other players to recover it and keep it in play, when you watch other teams and it's played with top spin or no spin, it hits the turf and races out of play 90% of the time
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”