Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1518192021222324252627282930313235 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm backing Robbo and Trent

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post
    The honeymoon period for Robertson is over. The rush of joining LFC has past and he’s gone back to being the Player we bought from Hull. Really disappointed in him. Looks utterly out of place in that team and has provided nothing of note this season.
    So it has nothing to do with changing the movement and positioning of Mane the player he linked with so brilliantly the past 3 seasons (which has also disastrously affected Mane's form) and it has nothing to do with us trying to go tappy crappy and him still making the same well timed runs from deeper beyond Gini to be found with switches we stopped playing or didn't have an in form Trent to play or Hendo in midfield to play? Our strength was playing to the strengths of the players we had, if we stop doing that, which we did, they very obviously aren't going to play as well

Football is a simple game, always has been, play to the strengths of your players, improve and develop on that through continuity of selection and formation and adding things to it while never losing sight of what their strengths are and stopping doing their bread and butter
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Look at Robbo's contribution to our comeback win over Villa, and Jota's. they linked together through a ball played into Jota quickly and early as Mane used to thrive on, before we stopped doing that, Jota released him as Mane or Gini used to (from him making the same fucking run he has continually made I might add) and then, booooooooooooooom, the one thing I critiqued Robbo for when we were playing well and winning every game, looking to play someone in with a short cross he was never going to pick them out with when playing the percentages of shooting across the keeper knowing we had a player or two well placed to pounce on any parry and he does that and it's a goal

Trent back to better than his best tonight, an excellent display, in his poor spell after he suffered Covid, he maybe forgot what makes him the best RB in Europe and tried too hard and was too desperate to try and assist and seemingly forgot all about his incredibly contribution and ability as a playmaker at times from RB.

Tonight the deliver from set pieces was right back where it needs to be and be improved upon, most pleasing was seeing the return of his playmaking from deeper positions which was a massive part of our play and success in winning the Champions League and Premier League, long diagonals for LFWD or Robbo, switches to Robbo or LFWD, his curving ball over the top down the line for Mo and attempted balls over the top for Bobby and Jota or Mane, these were all things that made us less predictable, helped make our play and bamboozled many a side by continually asking different questions of them and testing them with different types of attack

I thought he added to his previous best tonight with his delivery of early crosses from deeper positions I'm such an admirer of De Paul's ability to play, those early crosses are priceless, even if they're not converted, they turn and upset opposition defences and when played right, stay in play for another of our players to initiate another point of attack with the opposition defence having been turned and pulled out of shape by them

Anther element I thought he added, which I've also been banging on about almost relentlessly, is for Bobby's goal he played the percentages, which our players don't do anywhere near enough, especially against park the bus sides, they all have to learn, as Bobby was guilty of it with his early chance too, when the shot is on and there are players between you and our other player more than likely to intercept and attempted pass or short cross, take the fucking shot on, smash it as hard as you can, on target, low and hard across the keeper so any parry is likely to present a chance to our other player coming in

Robbo I have a great deal sympathy for, he runs his socks off every game, gets found in the same positions he was found in for 3 seasons making his well timed runs over the half way line, but now when he receives it, there's no-one down the line ahead of him for him to link with and on numerous occasions tonight, no-one anywhere near him for him to link with and look for the ball to be returned to him in a good position for him to cross

He needs to look at his assists for Mo v City in last season's 3-1 and Jota's headed goal this season and work on putting the ball in early from deeper wide or inside left positions early a lot more, even if there's no-one there to pick out immediately, put it in, weight it so Mo can arrive on it late or retrieve it beyond the far post, but play it, it unsettles defences, it makes them turn towards their own goal under pressure knowing they have 3 very quick forwards around them, at worst it allows our forwards and mids to get a top class counter press on them and force a mistake

He needs to work on his switches to Mo and Trent in particular to return the favour and because it's very important he does moving forward

And he like all our players needs to work on playing the percentages and understanding them far better, last 3 seasons and in the first third of this season when Mane was always ahead of him to link with, he was by far our player most guilty of making piss poor decisions, not playing the percentages and wasting numerous glorious opportunities, when he gets it in those areas 5-6 yards just outside the far post and there are several defenders between him and our players and all our players have made runs into the six yard box (another thing that needs addressing) he needs to play the percentages and fucking shot as hard as he can, on target, across the keeper to the far post

There's a couple, but 21 seconds in, Trent's ball for Bobby taking four of their players out of the game is brilliant, he was superb, the thought of Trent and De Paul down our right, releasing each other inside and outside, the through balls, the crossing from either, the set pieces and long shots and having a midfielder who actually scores goals and knowing the pair will start competing with one another and develop off one another is absolutely mouth watering

Brilliant to see Robbo and Mane back in tandem down our left last night and WHAT an incredible difference it made to both of them and our team, Robbo looked like Robbo again and Mane looked like Mane again and that duo will be incredibly important in our game v Palace.

That's where Palace's defence and how Hodgson has them defend can be opened up, a full back and wide forward quickly getting in support of each other in tandem down either side and they get very narrow all drawn towards that side and their centre somehow also gets split, so balls to the far post area or penalty spot, balls played back to a midfielder for a first time ball to a player in the centre or at the far post on the opposite side from where play has built up and drawn players into.

Also the wide forward making a run in behind wide when they and the full back are advanced to give Robbo or Trent just a little more time to pick a short cross to around the penalty spot from inside left or right position and Bobby or Jota making the run in between their 2 centre backs to nod home.

That's he we opened them up so frequently in the 7-0 and that's how Arsenal opened them up for their 3 goals last night

In last night's game, Mane release Robbo with a trademark Mane and Robbo link up we've missed so desperately for Robbo to assist Bobby for our opener, then in another trademark link up, Robbo released Mane who produced a great bit of skill to get a fraction of a yard and pick out Phillips with a lovely short up and down cross to head home, brilliant from both of them and our goalscorers and brilliant to see them back in tandem.

I loved Trent's performance, I've loved the discipline and playing differently from last season because we lost our pace in the centre of defence from both, so much of one stays one goes and timing and coordinating when they do superbly, Trent sitting deeper last night for most of it, because their right presented their biggest threat, but still contributing brilliantly time forays forward when it was on and he was covered, as he likely will against Palace.

Loved his playmaking, he found Mo, Robbo advancing on the opposite flank and Bobby making constant runs to support the ball numerous times, I think a lot of people massively overlook and under estimate his top quality playmaking ability and defending and organising from deeper positions, he absolutely excellent at it.

Needs to start fucking putting that ball in early from deeper inside right and wide areas 5-10 yards our side of their penalty area, just put it in behind those defences camped on the edge of their area, not high, just whip it up and down over the first defender or through the channel pitching about the penalty spot going towards the far post on a trajectory that if none of our players get hold of it, the worst thing that's going to happen is it will go out for a throw, the defenders aren't going to get it, their keeper isn't and we have 3 or 4 players in positions looking to make runs in behind the opposition defence who are THE most likely players to get it.

You can just see it, a lot of the time for me Mane would get to that ball once he's used to it coming in or just by reacting to it, and either look to steer it or balst back into the opposite corner of their goal across their keeper or cushion it first time to the penalty spot for Bobby or Jota steaming in to steer home first time and it's exactly the same when Robbo's in the same position on our left. Put the fucking ball in

For me against park the bus sides looking to hold their line on the edge of their area our full backs playing that ball will be absolutely priceless, it makes them turn, it creates uncertainty, it makes them turn towards their own goal, our players are always favourite to get to balls played in like that first because they're looking for a ball in, they're all facing the opposition goal waiting to steam in, the defenders are facing the opposite way and have to turn, it will create panic and numerous opportunities to score and create chances. We spend far too much time and energy playing in front of park the bus sides letting them play and defend as they want, we have to test them, turn them, disrupt them, unsettle and upset them

On the above ^^^ that type of crossing in particular, is what excites me so much about De Paul, he has it absolutely down, it is a very different technique to Robbo's and Trent's usual crosses and balls into the box, it's a drop toe, foot angled down, bottom of the ball so the top and bottom of the foot are hitting the ball at the same time with a little stab, dig under the ball with a quick retract to create backspin and make the ball go quickly up and down and when he wants, a little bit of curl.

And look where he drops it, just over and in behind defenders camped on the edge of their area, too far away from the keeper for them to come and perfectly placed for one of his players, facing goal, while the defenders are facing away from it, to get to first and run onto and finish

Edit: That's another thing I look for in all players we're linked to or I see that look like they'll fit in brilliantly, not just the extra and the difference they will bring on the pitch, but how their different techniques of doing things and their vision and awareness and passes and crosses and when to arrive and types of finishes will benefit our other players in learning those different things and further developing their own games through training and playing with them
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 20th May 2021 at 05:37 PM.

The reason I bang on about that particular ball is pretty simple

Low block

GK

FB CB CB CB FB
    CM CM CM

Where's the space and the best area to put a ball in from that's in behind their defence, with our forwards facing towards goal and their defenders facing away from it and too far away from their keeper for them to come for

If you go to the byline, they're all already turned to defend that, mids are coming back into the box to crowd it out

Trent Alexander-Arnold now has the same number of Premier League assists as Cristiano Ronaldo - in 65 fewer games.

Jurgen, "why would you turn the best right back in the world to a Midfielder "?
    Is right Jurgen!!

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Jurgen, "why would you turn the best right back in the world to a Midfielder "?
    Is right Jurgen!!
    100% correct, I always cringe when people see a brilliant attacking full back and start to clamour for them to play in midfield