Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2124252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: I'm backing Robbo and Trent

Quote Originally Posted by huyrob View Post
    Why do you need to use a description of his nationality when you know his name?
    That I cannot answer. I tend to use ‘Tsimikas’ but don’t see why it’s offensive to call him the Greek?

Fat Sam called Jurgen a ‘soft’ German once. Klopp didn’t take offence and instead suggest that he was.

That’s the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    That I cannot answer. I tend to use ‘Tsimikas’ but don’t see why it’s offensive to call him the Greek?
    Can’t help you there, if you don’t find it offensive then so be it.
    As I’ve said numerous times on here, and everybody ducks answering, Would you call him that in his presence or call Virgil “ Dutchie” If you would so be it, if you wouldn’t then why do so on here?

[QUOTE=Steveo;2718359]Fat Sam called Jurgen a ‘soft’ German once. Klopp didn’t take offence and instead suggest that he was.

That was taken as an insult but Klopp is composed enough to have laughed it off. It was said however as a clear insult.

For a start you wouldn’t call the German ( Jurgen Klopp) the German to his face because you would be addressing him directly.

If I was stuck for his name and I was a fan of another club I would absolutely describe him as ‘the German’ manager at Liverpool.

It’s just a description. I suggest Tsimikas’ get called the Greek due to the spelling of his name?

Either way it isn’t something to find offence in.

Quote Originally Posted by huyrob View Post
    That was taken as an insult but Klopp is composed enough to have laughed it off. It was said however as a clear insult.
    The word soft is the only insult. Surely you see that?

Again the nation state name ‘German’ is absolutely not.

If it were - it would not be a compliment to call him the Brilliant German.

Watch out stevo, you'll make Klopp resign soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Watch out stevo, you'll make Klopp resign soon.
    Now that thought really does fill me with dread.

For a start you wouldn’t call the German ( Jurgen Klopp) the German to his face because you would be addressing him directly.

If I was stuck for his name and I was a fan of another club I would absolutely describe him as ‘the German’ manager at Liverpool.

It’s just a description. I suggest Tsimikas’ get called the Greek due to the spelling of his name?

Either way it isn’t something to find offence in.

Of course , If you were talking to the person and knew their name then you would address them by that name. Again if you did not know Jurgens name then “ The Liverpool manager “ is fine, to use his nationality ie “The German Liverpool manager” whilst not necessary is not insulting.
    People on this forum who know the name of Kostas yet choose to refer to him as “ the Greek fella” is not a term of endearment, they are therefore,in my opinion being condescending and insulting.
    It appears that many are using the most convoluted arguments to justify their position rather than accepting they are in the wrong

The word soft is the only insult. Surely you see that?

Again the nation state name ‘German’ is absolutely not.

If it were - it would not be a compliment to call him the Brilliant German.
    The conflation of the two words does indeed make the whole comment insulting. Sam chose to use the term German, he could have said soft manager, he knew what he was doing…( for once).
    Choosing words in isolation can be misleading, the circumstances in which they are said must be taken in to account. ( ask Suarez ! )