Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1518192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Kylian Mbappé

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    No.
    We're not.

We're not the sort of club that pays 300k wages (which is almost certainly what he would want), or the kinds that splonks the type of money that PSG will (rightly) demand for him - regardless of how over-priced you may deem it to be.

And before anyone points out Virgil or Allisson, let's not forget that we sort of shot ourselves in the foot with the Virgil deal when we could have had him for almost as much as 20 million less than we eventually paid for him had we not got caught up in that whole "tapping up" scandal that allowed the Saints to jack up his buying fee.

And in Allisson's case, in retrospect I think we can all agree we actually ended up getting a bargain deal, given the market for competent goalies and ESPECIALLY given what Chelsea got in that same transfer window when they made Kepa the world's most expensive goalkeeper.

And even then, we're still not the kind of club to pay 150 million or 200...250 million on a single player.
    Hes in the last year of his contract. Should he move next year as far as I'm aware there would be no compensation owed to PSG as they are in a different league. Assuming he moves to la liga or the pl.

If I'm right on those matters, open to correction, then it's simply a case for PSG of diminishing returns.
    Shift this summer for 90mill or lose next year for nothing.
    It's a significant cost even for them for one more years football, when it might well be the case he is already gone mentally from psg.
    It would benefit them in their ffp, as they could write off his moving on a free transfer against ffp guidelines. But perhaps for is of little concern anymore for such clubs, who can just pay the fines and appeal to CAS.

Imo it's a case of possibly paying 40 mill more than we might otherwise have to with someone like Daka.
    Who seems a good option himself albeit not proven at the upper levels of football.

Wages wouldn't be a major issue imo as he will be Nike's next superstar athlete in a post Ronny era. Which is practically now.
    Hed be a nike player at a nike club in the highest broadcasting league in the world.

We have Klopp, a decent side and the bones of a team for 2-3 years time here already.

His wages would be the highest at the club, but our lads would likely be pretty ok with that fact. Seeing as he has the ability to fit in and the star power that generates revenue like messi and ronny.

It might not happen if course, but theres certainly no certainty in claiming its beyond us, as I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Acquiring Mbappe would ruin our wage structure.

If he is on X amount with us having done sweet FA for Liverpool so far, versus players that have ran through walls for Klopp who need contract extensions, they'd have every right to ask for more than we are willing to give them.

So the "answer" to that is to tie them down to contracts and THEN sign Mbappe, which they would see right through and there's every chance they stop running through those brick walls.

Mbappe would be a dream, but it's almost certainly absolute fantasy land stuff.

Even when we buy "ready-made" players they're (already) rarely superstars and tend to go up a level on our watch, for Barca/Real Madrid to then come sniffing round. Thanks to improvements in recent years (particularly with transfers) we have now gone up a gear in the sense that we don't end up forced to sell our stars in terms that don't suit us. But it's hard to picture us reaching a level of buying Galactico-esque talent - one injury and the whole eggs/basket analogy comes to pass.
    VVD as a centre back earns by far the highest wages at the club relatively.
    There isnt a single player at LFC of note, who hasn't been utterly delighted by us acquiring virgil. Virgil landed on a whopper wage packet having done nothing for us.

Players want to win titles. If we can land mbappe the wage crisis structure scenario proposed is a mythical one imo.
    These lads understand the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Would also add that, as important as goals are, assists are a huge attacking factor as well.

For 20/21 Kylian Mbappe has a total of -

- 7 asssists
    - 14 key passes (these are passes leading to a shot on goal) and he created a total of 21 chances.

Jadon Sancho has a total of -

- 11 assists
    - 26 key passes and he created a total of 37 chances.

Pass completion rate is important too, particularly the pass completion rate into the opponent's box as that's where goals happen.

Kylian Mbappe has a pass completion rate of 79.53 % and a rate of 44.44% for passes into the box.

Jadon Sancho has a pass completion rate of 80.81% and a rate of 66.67 % for passes into the box.

Mbappe gets more goals. He is the "better" player in this sense. Let's say he costs £210m to acquire and Sancho costs £70m to acquire. The question you have to ask yourself in that hypothetical is this - is Mbappe worth THREE TIMES as much as Sancho to us? Bear in mind we are only bearing in transfer fees here - wages could increase this disparity as well if Mbappe would command a higher wage than Sancho, which he likely would.

Also worth noting that Sancho (gets less goals admittedly) is producing in the more difficult League - indeed he has 30 goal involvements (or more) for 3 seasons running now - plus is English which would help with the Homegrown rules and would add "England tax" value should we ever decide to sell further down the line. Would also help to be a beacon to young English players that they could go far with us - if he worked out.

Another point people will raise to pick a hole in Sancho's assists (which is fair enough) is that he is passing to Haaland - and giving the ball to Haaland is like getting "free" goals. But he is getting the ball there and thus is doing what's required.

I'm rambling a bit now - point I was trying to raise (as I appreciate value / making the most of things / getting every drop of juice from the Lemon) is whether or not Mbappe is worth approximately 3 Sanchos, plus the higher wages and the risks associated. He is certainly worth more than Sancho, but 3 times?

Being worth more than DOUBLE our front three (again, we buy players and they develop here, we don't traditionally go "top shelf") seems mad to me - as utterly fantastic as it would be to have him here.
    This was brought up with Halaand before where people were going on about him being the cheaper option.
    As it turns out that was someway off and even inverted.

I dont know where you get these figures from sid. £210 for a player in his final year

Sancho is a disruptive lad by accounts and Jurgen puts a lot of value on the 'character' of incoming signings.
    I'd wager hes not going to be settling for the wages you seem to think he will be settling for.

20/21
    Mbappe 42 goals & 11 assists
    Sancho 16 goals & 20 assists

Looking at only league and Cl (the bigger comps)
    Mbappe 35 goals & 10 assists
    Sancho 10 goals & 15 assists

For me we need an out and out finisher to bolster the side more than a chance creater.
    That's where the rumour mill has been suggesting we're looking at.

He was diving all over the place against Wales. let him go to Madrid where their experts at cheating
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Don’t think mbappe is good enough to oust salah or mane to be honest. Interesting to see do we try sign someone to challenge either. Suppose jota can play left and centre. Salah is bombproof for 1 more year I think. Bobby proved he still has it in him toward end but needs a good season next season. Mane will come back to form I think. Son would be the player I’d look to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Don’t think mbappe is good enough to oust salah or mane to be honest. Interesting to see do we try sign someone to challenge either. Suppose jota can play left and centre. Salah is bombproof for 1 more year I think. Bobby proved he still has it in him toward end but needs a good season next season. Mane will come back to form I think. Son would be the player I’d look to get in.
    We want more options, want to be competing better in the domestic cups as well as being stronger in the big 2.

If rumours are to be believed we're looking at some option for the attack.

Salah, Mane, Bobby, Jota, Elliot, Mbop/Daka

Think elliot will be given his chances here after a good loan spell, whilst we look for a proper 9 who can play wide forward too if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    We want more options, want to be competing better in the domestic cups as well as being stronger in the big 2.

If rumours are to be believed we're looking at some option for the attack.

Salah, Mane, Bobby, Jota, Elliot, Mbop/Daka

Think elliot will be given his chances here after a good loan spell, whilst we look for a proper 9 who can play wide forward too if needed.
    Given klopps penchant for casting the domestic cups aside I don’t think he is overly bothered with them. He has stressed his preference for a smallish squad of valued players who give him total dedication before. I know as fans we’d all love a double or treble comprising of the big 2 and a domestic cup but I don’t think we are doing that under klopp and the current owners. We need to have a team with 7 or 8 reserves that can absolutely challenge for the league every season with quality youngsters bilking the squad up. Don’t get me wrong. I’d absolutely love to sign mbappe too. I struggle to see the fit though. Maybe klopp could work his magic with him on the team player side of things.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/0268-12157d69ce2d-9f011c70f6fa-1000--new-champions-league-format-explained/

The new champions league format, 4 extra games to qualify out of the groupstages (not really a groupstages but a league)

Playing 10 different sides, half of them away half at home. So bigger teams will play each other more, earlier on.

So LFC could play any 10 clubs of the 36 clubs in the cl to qualify. Doesnt seem to be seeded at that stage. Open to correction.

Top 8 teams to automatically qualify for the round of 16.

Those ranked 9th to 16th will have home advantage in the second leg, playing sides ranked 17th to 24th to qualify for the last 16.

Another 4 or 6 games in the calendar with the new format, and international football wanting more games in the calendar also.

Clubs are going to need bigger squads.

Its inevitable that Klopp will need to get used to managing a bigger and better squad.

May as well start now and hope we have a good position when this kicks off in 2024.

3 seasons to build up a squad to be able to manage that workload.
    May as well take the domestic cups more serious in the meantime. Good preparations.

I'd love mbappe to join, proven goalscorer and would benefit the clubs commercial side/finance.

Think we need someone to do what div might have done, whether its mbop, daka or whoever, think we could do with a finisher.
    Elliot did well I the championship (not that I watched it) so hope he gets a chance to be part of the squad here next season.

Hes in the last year of his contract. Should he move next year as far as I'm aware there would be no compensation owed to PSG as they are in a different league. Assuming he moves to la liga or the pl.

If I'm right on those matters, open to correction, then it's simply a case for PSG of diminishing returns.
    Shift this summer for 90mill or lose next year for nothing.
    It's a significant cost even for them for one more years football, when it might well be the case he is already gone mentally from psg.
    It would benefit them in their ffp, as they could write off his moving on a free transfer against ffp guidelines. But perhaps for is of little concern anymore for such clubs, who can just pay the fines and appeal to CAS.

All of this assumes two things:
    That he actually wants to move and leave PSG (and Ligue 1).
    And that he's told PSG he has no intention of signing an extension.

Assumptions based on exactly NOTHING.
    Nobody knows anything about where his head is regarding his future, and all the talk (read :delusional fantasy) that he wants to come to us are nothing more than (LFC) fan-based wishful thinking on the basis of some anodyne comment he once made about our club - which is about on the same level as any garden variety complimentary comment that any one of a million players before him have said about the club.

I also love how you came up with that 90 million figure like its where PSG would absolutely land on where they would not risk losing him for nothing.
    They could decide tomorrow that they're fine not letting him go for anything less than 150 million this summer if anyone expresses interest, and if they don't get that much, then they're fine losing him for nothing.
    They're a rich enough club to be able to take such a stance.

Wages wouldn't be a major issue imo as he will be Nike's next superstar athlete in a post Ronny era. Which is practically now.
    Hed be a nike player at a nike club in the highest broadcasting league in the world.

We have Klopp, a decent side and the bones of a team for 2-3 years time here already.

His wages would be the highest at the club, but our lads would likely be pretty ok with that fact. Seeing as he has the ability to fit in and the star power that generates revenue like messi and ronny.

It might not happen if course, but theres certainly no certainty in claiming its beyond us, as I see it.
    You do realize that Nike doesn't actually pay the players wages, regardless of how big that outfit deal is, right?
    That's not now these endorsement deals work at all.

The deal is with the club, and it's the club that pays players' wages based on their own revenue stream versus overhead/expenses books.

At best, the Nike deal means we can afford bigger wages for bigger name star players, but it doesn't mean a sliding scale for opening the tap to pay an outrageous wage that's out of our structure and completely messes our balance books.
    Again, Nike doesn't pay the players. They likely have a separate deal with him for endorsing him which would follow him to whichever club he goes to and likewise doesn't count as part of his wages, while still being a part of his overall income. It's the same for any player with an endorsement deal with Nike or anyone else.
    Nike wouldn't be an extra incentive for anyone to come here anymore than it would be an extra help to us to be able to afford them.

You know where the Nike deal actually helps the club? It's in things like paying of any debt associated with expanding Anfield, for example. Or overseas pre-season trips (during times when those things are possible).

Sure, you could play around with the books and numbers to help fund high player wages thanks to money coming in from such endorsement deals. But .........that's literally EXACTLY what the blue Mancs got in trouble with UEFA for that got them banned (before it was rescinded by CAS). Not to mention the tax trouble with the govt. you risk getting yourself into by cooking books like that and playing funny maths with numbers like that.

There's a good reason you have a wage structure as a club and stick to it as much as possible - especially when you're not an oil-baron or Emirati-funded club.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!