Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Alisson

Yes brilliant again today
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

His starting position and calmness when dealing with opposition balls into space, plus making saves look easy, was invaluable today.

It's easy to forget how good he is. If Mignolet or Karius were in nets against Brighton, how many goals are conceded and/or does our keeper receive a red card?

As disappointing as the draw is, he's probably the main reason we got a point at all, without wishing to take away from Jota's finish.

Alisson is an unbelievable keeper who is absolutely hopeless (apart from once) at saving pens. A bit weird considering just how good he is at everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Alisson is an unbelievable keeper who is absolutely hopeless (apart from once) at saving pens. A bit weird considering just how good he is at everything else.
    I agree, he has absolutely incredible reflexs, i am absolutely lost as to why our staff don't work on penalties with him

With his reflexs he should never be guessing and going early, he should be making himself as big as possible watching the takers body shape intently as he strikes the ball and making reaction saves or attempted saves

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I agree, he has absolutely incredible reflexs, i am absolutely lost as to why our staff don't work on penalties with him

With his reflexs he should never be guessing and going early, he should be making himself as big as possible watching the takers body shape intently as he strikes the ball and making reaction saves or attempted saves
    What's there to work on. Penalties are a lottery, you either guess the right way as a keeper or you don't.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    What's there to work on. Penalties are a lottery, you either guess the right way as a keeper or you don't.
    That's not true at all, the best penalty stoppers do exactly what i described, they stand up, they watch the taker, his body shape and technique very astutely and from reading that go the right way almost all the time, if it's hit and placed perfectly they're not going to save it, but if it's not hit with sufficient power or placement and the keeper is doing what i describe, they have every chance of saving it

I saw some stats and a heat graph last season showing that most successful penalties are to the keepers left.

More players seem to trying straight down the middle these days, gambling that the keeper has to dive.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    I saw some stats and a heat graph last season showing that most successful penalties are to the keepers left.

More players seem to trying straight down the middle these days, gambling that the keeper has to dive.
    Unless the shot was weak and the keeper guessed the right way and still let it in, i would never blame a keeper for not saving one. There have been many hero keepers in these penalty shoot outs, very few villains. There's a reason for that.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

I've seen quite a few shootouts in which the keeper's stood up and tried to read where the pens going and on the right way for 80% of them, just being beaten by the ones that are right in the corner and hit incredibly firmly, and there's always been one or two that isn't right in the corner or struck that well that the keepers who take that approach save

That's why i think Alisson should work on doing that as with his reflexes and reactions he'll save anything that isn't a great pen and then get a rep for saving pens which puts more pressure on every taker

He gave us the platform from which we were able to nick the point today. Some big saves in that first half.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay