Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Anfield Expansion: Peter Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I think the club should work with the council and help develop the City's relevant transport system as part of it
    They are doing that.. I don't know enough of the details but I'd imagine the council have something to learn from the Americans' approach. The owners, sadly, will be looking to make their investment as valuable as possible which will mean constructing the highest quality stadium possible. Wether it's because they recognise the value of tradition and atmosphere, or because they don't want to disrupt progress on the pitch which they think also increases value, they have settled on doing that without changing Anfield beyond recognition. No one mentions naming rights very often (if ever) in these discussions but there has never been a threat of having our stadium named after a company that we have good reason to hate. It's an obvious blessing that FSG have bestowed upon us, so it would appear. You might say there's some advantage to them in respecting that desire from the fans - the 'This is Anfield' legend would be rendered absurd if it became 'This is Etihad' - but perhaps its another reason to be thankful we don't have Spurs' billion dollar stadium which is shortly to be named something stupid.. even if they do have a few thousand more in there than us. Anyone feel thankful for that?
    Sir what is going on.. things is not going according to plan. u promiss early signing. noting happen. Man u 3 player now

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Why stop at 70,000? Here’s some historical attendance records..

HAMPDEN PARK - GLASGOW, SCOTLAND (OFFICIAL ATTENDANCE: 136,505)
    Celtic v Leeds, European Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg, 1970

HAMPDEN PARK - GLASGOW, SCOTLAND (OFFICIAL ATTENDANCE: 149,547)
    Scotland v England, Home International Championship, 1937

HAMPDEN PARK - GLASGOW, SCOTLAND (OFFICIAL ATTENDANCE: 147,365)
    Celtic v Aberdeen, Scottish Cup Final, 1937

MARACANA STADIUM - RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (OFFICIAL ATTENDANCE: 199,854)
    Brazil v Uruguay, World Cup Final, 1950

WEMBLEY STADIUM - LONDON, ENGLAND (OFFICIAL ATTENDANCE: 126,047)
    Bolton Wanderers v West Ham United, FA Cup Final, 1923

There used to be massive numbers attending big games many decades ago. Things have changed. There’s no real reason to favour 70,000 over 65,000 other than the pride of the competitive statistician. We need to have an amazing stadium with as good an atmosphere as possible. It has to work within the cramped setting that makes Anfield so special and it has to allow the turf to grow as it currently does, creating a small slice of heaven that flourishes right through the winter.

I was in Scotland for the old firm clash last week and Celtic have introduced standing sections for the ultras. They work really well. They looked like they can be expanded to
    me too. I’d favour that kind of change if possible but not sure whether it’d ever happen for obvious reasons.
    Not sure we’ll ever see standing sections in this country again, like you said, for obvious reasons. There should be a conversation about safe standing areas. Everyone stands at games, but it’s safe because of the ticket allocation and the seats creating natural barriers. The perching seats seem to be a good compromise. I hope this isn’t too controversial.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Off the top of my head, I believe our highest ever attendance was around 60 - 61,000 when it was mostly terracing. This was back in the 1950s or 1960s I think.
    I think it was against Wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    After the first consultation, the locals have objected to dead end idea. The club have agreed to reroute it. From the article on the offal:

A small number of local residents raised concerns about the proposed closure of a section of Anfield Road. The revised plans, which will be available to the public in early February, will include a new proposal for Anfield Road to remain open with the road realigned around the footprint of the proposed expanded stand.
    Aaah, cheers, mate. Hadn't looked at that article.

Edit: @rb it was indeed against Wolves - 61,90 v Wolverhampton Wanderers, FA Cup fourth round, 2 February 1952.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Hopefully everyone sitting in the new stand gets the experience of seeing all the kop and main stand. Sadly at the minute there's not much of a view from the back of the lower tier.
    Though as I've been told before, at least it's in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Hopefully everyone sitting in the new stand gets the experience of seeing all the kop and main stand. Sadly at the minute there's not much of a view from the back of the lower tier.
    Though as I've been told before, at least it's in the ground.
    Judging by the side profile of the proposed new Anfield road design, sight lines will be much improved - especially at the back of the lower tier.. Second tier will start much much further back.. Right now the it is currently like a Loftus Road stand - belongs to a much smaller stadium.. It's tiny - the second tier overlaps massively - the stand is crammed way beyond its' initial design and a bit of joke - claustrophobic even..

The proposed new stand will really make Anfield's design worthy of its history.. Fingers crossed..

Last edited by Steveo; 3rd March 2020 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks Steveo. I've been in the Anfield Road End a few times and it is small, but I didn't realise how small until I saw those drawings.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Yep it is deceptive when viewed from inside the ground or in the stand itself (though cramped ). The roof makes it feel far bigger than it is. I always cringe a little when seeing it from Anfield road or the park behind - looks so small. From outside the ground you really get a sense of how out of proportion it is.. Bit of a cult stand tho but Anfield will be even more Anfield if/when the latest plans come to fruition.

Looks promising.

Key thing is to win League titles and European Cups in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Looks promising.

Key thing is to win League titles and European Cups in it.
    Absolutely
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”