Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars

I hated the prequels. Jar Jar ruined TPM, then Hayden Christensen's Anakin totally destroyed the next 2. Truly awful acting.

.....and, "from my point of view the jedi are evil", has to go down as one of the worst lines of dialogue ever.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

I don't think HeyDontActAgain was that bad as Anakin. I mean who the hell could make things like "I don't like sand" sound good. Think he was really believable as a tormented and extremely gifted young man in need of guidance.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    You didn't like the prequel effects? Can't agree with you there - think they still hold up today some 15 years later.

But the dialogue. Oh that dialogue will never get better. Personally liked Episode III best - the least Jar-Jar, the best effects and the most fun over the top fights.

Saw a cool theory MaRey-Sue might be Luke's clone, one of many, which would go some way to repairing parts of her awfulness.
    Especially AOTC and ROTS. Everything was shot infront of a green screen and it shows. It was basically a reverse of Who Framed Roger Rabbit! Even the Clone troopers were digital.

At least TPM had some practical effects and they filmed in real locations or well built sets.

the clone war era is pretty well shown in the likes of The Clone Wars series. And I loved the Genndy Tartakovsky short series leading right up to the start of ROTS.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

They should have made the prequels look like the original trilogy. As soon as I saw robots that were from a time before the Empire but who were more advanced than those that supposedly came after them, I knew TPM and the rest of the prequels were going to be total sloblocks, and that was before Jar-Jar Binks showed up and made the Ewoks look like Sir Laurence Olivier clones.

It's all done to save costs, but by doing so they immediately dispensed with something that made the original trillogy so good. Another example of this is having a CGI version of "Clash of the Titans". Ray Harryhausen's stop motion animation is what made the original and his other films so visceral and memorable.

We don't need 'updated' or more 'glossy' versions of these films, we just needed, nay wanted more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Especially AOTC and ROTS. Everything was shot infront of a green screen and it shows. It was basically a reverse of Who Framed Roger Rabbit! Even the Clone troopers were digital.

At least TPM had some practical effects and they filmed in real locations or well built sets.

the clone war era is pretty well shown in the likes of The Clone Wars series. And I loved the Genndy Tartakovsky short series leading right up to the start of ROTS.
    You and me both pal - I event recommended it to redebreck earlier.

I do agree they look really CGI, but I'm inclined to give it a bit of a pass, seeing as they showed us so much more of each world than the original trilogy. I would have liked more practical effects for sure though.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

@Noods,

yeah, it's baffling why they strayed so far away from the original aesthetic. I'm not even sure it was significantly cheaper to do it with green screens back then.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    I hated the prequels. Jar Jar ruined TPM, then Hayden Christensen's Anakin totally destroyed the next 2. Truly awful acting.

.....and, "from my point of view the jedi are evil", has to go down as one of the worst lines of dialogue ever.
    can't disagree with the first sentence, where did the "jedi are evil" quote come from?
    thanks everyone for the descriptions/analyses of the films and spin-offs, I will take a look when I can.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

It's quote from Anakin. Think he says it on Mustafar in the third film.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

You didn't like the prequel effects?

Saw a cool theory MaRey-Sue might be Luke's clone, one of many, which would go some way to repairing parts of her awfulness.
    For me, it was the overuse / over-reliance on special effects that was the problem, rather than the actual quality of them. The scenes in Attack of the Clones with Obi-Wan on Kamino were all completely greenscreened, and the only other actor there was the guy playing Jango Fett - it all looked incredibly fake in a way that the practical effects in the original trilogy never did.

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post

I don't think HeyDontActAgain was that bad as Anakin. I mean who the hell could make things like "I don't like sand" sound good. Think he was really believable as a tormented and extremely gifted young man in need of guidance.
    I'm with Bali on this one, Hayden Christensen isn't a brilliant actor, but you could have had anybody in that role trying to work with that script and they still would have looked utter shit. Ewan MacGregor is probably the only actor that came out of those movies with their reputation intact. It's taken about 15 years for Natalie portman to get her career back on track!

The Phantom Menace - Jar-Jar Binks, the over use of CGI, the fact that the technology in the universe is better than it was in the later films (original ones) and that 20hr long race scene are reasons why I will never go back and watch that pile of shite.