Page 46 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3639404142434445464748495051525356 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    None of the spice boys deserved a title, had they been as dedicated as our current squad they could have won one comfortably, exceptional talent without the drive, dedication, determination and selflessness isn't enough. And before you go off on one, my landlord at the time of the 'spice boys' tag was a journo and had a couple of friends who wrote for the football mags who did interviews at the training ground during that period and the 'spice boys' label was very much deserved
    You haven't answered my question. Would you call the 2013-14 legends had the won the title, or the 2008-09, had they done the same. Because they had to wait 19 and 24 years respectively to achieve it. Think before you reply, because Gerrard was captain in both those teams, and Henderson wasn't around for the first one. The Spice boys tag was mainly regarding the suits for the 96 final. Had they won that game, that tag name wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. As for dedication, how do you know they wasn't dedicated?
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    You haven't answered my question. Would you call the 2013-14 legends had the won the title, or the 2008-09, had they done the same. Because they had to wait 19 and 24 years respectively to achieve it. Think before you reply, because Gerrard was captain in both those teams, and Henderson wasn't around for the first one. The Spice boys tag was mainly regarding the suits for the 96 final. Had they won that game, that tag name wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. As for dedication, how do you know they wasn't dedicated?
    If either of those teams had shown the incredible levels of consistency and performance the current side has over the last 3 seasons and won the two big ones, one each in successive seasons and rose from the ashes of injustice and adversity of the 17-18 Champions League final and 18-19 2nd place in the League so brilliantly twice and shown that character and mentality, then yes, of course, but neither did that
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

If either of those teams had shown the incredible levels of consistency and performance the current side has over the last 3 seasons and won the two big ones, one each in successive seasons and rose from the ashes of injustice and adversity of the 17-18 Champions League final and 18-19 2nd place in the League so brilliantly twice and shown that character and mentality, then yes, of course, but neither did that
    Yes but in 09 we were up against Fergie, who you claim used to get all the big decisions by the referees. And in 14, up against City's billionaires. Surely a level playing field would have got us both titles.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Yes but in 09 we were up against Fergie, who you claim used to get all the big decisions by the referees. And in 14, up against City's billionaires. Surely a level playing field would have got us both titles.
    The 09 team deserved to land a title, unfortunately, their closest competitors were throughout Whiskey faces time there, the beneficiaries of numerous plain wrong decisions in their favour and against their closest rivals in other games and in Ronaldo, much as it pains me to admit it, they had a player even more capable than Stevie of winning games for his side singelhandedly

City were still just one of those sides with megabucks who bought a lot of top quality mercaneries and never transformed them into a top top side back then and we had a manager who shot us in the foot trying to embellish his own reputation

The current side knocked the shit out of UAE FC 2 seasons running, the first being pipped courtesy of 3 or 4 appalling refereeing decisions and just absolutely broke them last season, destroyed them, despite the incredible advantages they had

None of the spice boys deserved a title, had they been as dedicated as our current squad they could have won one comfortably, exceptional talent without the drive, dedication, determination and selflessness isn't enough. And before you go off on one, my landlord at the time of the 'spice boys' tag was a journo and had a couple of friends who wrote for the football mags who did interviews at the training ground during that period and the 'spice boys' label was very much deserved
    It was deserved. Their commitment was shambolic.
    On that recent documentary about the 30year wait Fowler says they were just as good as Utd.
    They weren't and the trophies hauled by Utd at that time says so.

09 was a level playing field. We had a treat team but they were just a little better. Any denying of that by a Liverpool fan ( im not saying that you are denying it btw) is bitter and silly in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    On that recent documentary about the 30year wait Fowler says they were just as good as Utd.
    Both reports, from 2 different journos there for interviews, of the players clubhouse at the training ground being like an 80's working mans club, drinking, gambling etc, cited Ruddock, Fowler and MacManaman as the chief protagonists and Ruddock as the ring leader in chief
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 30th October 2020 at 10:55 PM.

Both reports, from 2 different journos there for interviews, of the players clubhouse at the training ground being like an 80's working mans club, drinking, gambling etc, cited Ruddock, Fowler and MacManaman as the chief protagonists
    Yep I've read that before. Its ridiculous that Ruddock played for LFC. Never fit to wear the shirt.
    Straight on the Heathrow Express and on the piss in London win lose or draw. They were great to watch but a joke in terms of how they applied themselves. If Houllier had that squad he'd have pissed the league title.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Roy Evans had a tough start, some of the players that were still good enough were sold on by Souness and replaced with ones, not fit enough to wear the shirt. Some of the football played under him was as good as anything i had seen before, and certainly better than the dross Houllier served up. Glad he left winning a trophy, even if it was only the league cup.