Page 13 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213141516171819202363 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain

When Fabinho does come back in, Hendo has to show he's raised the bar again when he plays No8 at RCM as he didn't play that role in an attacking sense as well yet this season as he did when he was introduced there last season, he also has to show he's recognised the hole Fabinho's high destroyer press leaves and is on top of it taking his usual excellent positions off our other players to make sure it's covered and he and Gini working together to make sure it is while remaining in an excellent position to get across and help out or cover Trent AND Gomez or Matip being aware of it to and ready to step into midfield and make a tackle or a foul to halt any opposition player found in the hole as and when is necessary.

Liverpool are a machine, we need to maintain incredible awareness of the slight changes of dynamic and positioning of the cogs certain changes will make
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I would like to see Fabinho study Hendo's performances and use them to improve, because the rotation of positions of our midfield it has created has made us far more fluid and a lot harder to defend again, it's been actual real total football, not in the false pretentious Van Gaal sense, but actual total football, there are loads of example and subtleties and layers to what I'm talking about, Van Gaal's wasn't total football, it was just players assuming each other roles if/when they found themselves in another players position and being comfortable in that position and delivering in it, we've evolved our play so we're doing a lot of that and not for the sake of it or to be smart or pretentious, but as natural evolution and progression, but what we do is a lot more evolved than Van Gaal's version, the entire team defending, pressing and counter pressing especially, with the counter pressing positioning becoming more advanced so the players are not only in a great defensive and counter pressing position as they're not involved in a move, but they're also in a position to support the ball and become actively involved in the move.

An example of Fabinho having to be more fluid when he comes back in and play his part in the team being more fluid can be demonstrated by Wijnaldum's just offside goal in Sunday's game, he (LCM) was doing the high press/supporting the ball, Hendo was in a DM/inside RCM position and it was Ox (RCM) who played the through ball for Gini from the LCM No8 position, brilliant stuff, but that wasn't happening with Fabinho in the team, it was a lot more rigid, easier for opposition teams to make plans to deal with each player, it's something that's developed hugely in Fabs absence

Edit: And all of that said is why I bang on about more goals from Robbo, when he gets in the ball in that channel between RB and RCB, becoming a forward, rather than being a full back that's found himself in a forwards position, but he keeps getting in there and I'm sure it will come with time. Similarly, although the LB LCB channel for Trent to attempt through balls, smash a shot through it or make a run through it is often closed, take advantage of any opportunities to open it by driving the ball in field towards it with Mo or Firminho making an inside out run to open it for him, assuming the role of an attacking midfielder, looking to then play a through ball towards the far post for Mane or Bobby, shoot from distance across the keeper, drive through the channel with the ball or play it in to Bobby's feet making the run through the channel looking for the return pass

I think we're just 'warming up' brilliant as we've been so far this season, there is a hell of a lot more to come from this team/squad
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 22nd January 2020 at 02:05 PM.

A fine display

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I totally didn’t.
    Only 2 people being honest here

Funny how everyone else is very 🤫🤫🤫

90% of 'fans' didnt believe in him

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post

Funny how everyone else is very 🤫🤫🤫

I'm not sure how to answer.

In one sense I believed in him as in not replacing him and keeping as a member of the squad.
    In another I didnt think he'd be an automatic starter and has done better in the last while since Fabinho and Keita were signed than I thought. Same with Gini recently they are both on an upward spiral from the introduction of stiffer competition imo.

Funny how everyone else is very ������

I'm being perfectly honest, I've always backed Hendo, you could search my posts back to when he first arrived under Kenny until now and you'd find that to be the case, I guarantee it, my only criticism of him very early in his reds career was that he needed to get his head on swivel and constantly scan the pitch a lot more to be more aware of what was on and he made that improvement just a couple of months in

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    I'm not sure how to answer.

In one sense I believed in him as in not replacing him and keeping as a member of the squad.
    In another I didnt think he'd be an automatic starter and has done better in the last while since Fabinho and Keita were signed than I thought. Same with Gini recently they are both on an upward spiral from the introduction of stiffer competition imo.
    All our midfielders play better with Hendo in the team, Keita had struggled and suddenly clicked when Hendo cam in at RCM last season and they've all played better since he's been playing at No6 in Fabinho's absence, because, he's the boss

Not only that
    But he took over from a Liverpool legend

I think we should be now saying Henderson is a legend too

When we look at our previous captains

Yeats , Smith, Hughes, Thompson, Souness, Hansen, Hyypia, Gerrard , Henderson

Henderson now should have that status

I think after Gerrard it is unfair to compare him to Gerrard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I'm being perfectly honest, I've always backed Hendo, you could search my posts back to when he first arrived under Kenny until now and you'd find that to be the case, I guarantee it, my only criticism of him very early in his reds career was that he needed to get his head on swivel and constantly scan the pitch a lot more to be more aware of what was on and he made that improvement just a couple of months in
    I know

Not only that
    But he took over from a Liverpool legend

I think we should be now saying Henderson is a legend too

When we look at our previous captains

Yeats , Smith, Hughes, Thompson, Souness, Hansen, Hyypia, Gerrard , Henderson

Henderson now should have that status

I think after Gerrard it is unfair to compare him to Gerrard.
    Not so much unfair as completely stupid, since the season Rafa moved him to AM off Torres Gerrard has operated as more of an attacking midfielder and had other midfielders around him doing a lot more of the leg work, defending and tackling to support that, they're completely different types of player so comparing them is just plain stupid in the first place

Edit: For instance people were comparing their goals and assists, when Hendo was doing a lot more work in our own half and around the half way line and wasn't as far forward as frequently to have as many opportunities to score and assist, although he did very very well on that front when used as a box to box player 5, 6 and 7 goals in consecutive seasons with 8-12 assists, 12 being his highest and he wasn't taking penalties, free kicks or corners while Gerrard was, for a midfielder playing the role he was Hendo's return of goals and assists was actually very good, plus all his defending, pressing and tackling, he's always been vastly under rated
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 22nd January 2020 at 09:42 PM.