Page 18 of 76 FirstFirst ... 81112131415161718192021222324252868 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain

Fantastic and incredibly revealing OPTA analysis from this season AND revealing Hendo has been vastly under appreciated by far too many of our fans throughout his entire Liverpool career. Also some incredible stats for Big Bear Allisson, Robbo, Gomez and Mo

With 13 games still to play, Henderson has already accrued seven goals and assists, his highest combined tally since chalking up 15 in the 2014-15 season.

Nor is his positive influence a new phenomenon; data shows that Liverpool have won 60.1 per cent of the Premier League matches where Henderson has featured since his arrival in 2011, and only 43.9 per cent without.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/386106-opta-stats-liverpool-jordan-henderson-alisson-becker-saves

Sometimes the most niche statistics can be the most revealing.

The list of Premier League players who have won the ball back most in the final third this season, for example, is one you’d expect to be made up of strikers and wingers. And for the most part, it is.

But in joint-second place, with 22 possession regains, is a central midfielder – Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson. And in joint-fifth place, with 19 regains, we find a full-back, with Andy Robertson proving the iconic 70-yard press against Manchester City that so endeared him to Kopites two years ago was no one-off.

The who, what, when, where and why of Liverpool’s 24 wins in 25 Premier League fixtures might be obvious, but what Reid’s research elucidates is the how, and one man that pops up even more in the data than he does in opposition final thirds is Henderson.

Fans who belted out their skipper’s name after his goal and assist in last Saturday’s 4-0 win over Southampton at Anfield are well aware that he’s playing well. But the statistics reinforce the sheer scale of the 29-year-old’s influence.

With 13 games still to play, Henderson has already accrued seven goals and assists, his highest combined tally since chalking up 15 in the 2014-15 season.

Nor is his positive influence a new phenomenon; data shows that Liverpool have won 60.1 per cent of the Premier League matches where Henderson has featured since his arrival in 2011, and only 43.9 per cent without.

Henderson’s win percentage not only stands up well when compared to previous incumbents of the captaincy such as Steven Gerrard [51 per cent] and Sami Hyypia [54 per cent], but it’s in fact the best of any player to ever make more than 200 appearances for Liverpool in the Premier League era.

Henderson is far from the only member of Jürgen Klopp’s squad performing with an outstanding level of consistency, though.

Alisson Becker has saved 26 of the last 27 shots he’s faced, been involved in the build-up to five goals and is averaging 244 minutes per goal conceded this season – the best of any goalkeeper in Premier League history.

The Brazil international even excels when subjected to the rigours of Stats Perform’s new Goalkeeper Index, which simulates how each goalkeeper would perform if they faced all of the 2,108 shots faced by goalkeepers in the top flight so far this season.

Liverpool’s No.1 comes out on top with 0.42 simulated goals conceded per game and 0.74 simulated goals prevented.

Meanwhile, Joe Gomez’s average minutes per goal conceded over a period dating back to the start of the 2018-19 season is a remarkable 345 – 170 minutes more than the nearest contender.

And Mohamed Salah remains top of the charts for opening goals and winning goals stretching back to his 2017 arrival at Anfield.

The Egyptian’s tally of 92 goals and assists during that time puts him 17 clear of Manchester City’s Sergio Aguero in second place.

Mohamed Salah wins Liverpool Goal of the Month for January
    Collective effort remains paramount, however, and the research demonstrates that good, old-fashioned hard work remains at the core of everything Klopp’s Liverpool do, with more pressed sequences and shots from fast breaks than any of the 19 Premier League rivals they have already defeated this campaign

The Reds are also a close second to City in terms of how much width per sequence their opponents are denied, illustrating just how hard it is for teams to keep the ball and manoeuvre it into dangerous areas when up against the world champions.
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 7th February 2020 at 05:48 PM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Superb again today and another vital assist

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Indeed. If he doesn't win PotY it's a total fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I want a gif of that pass he made in the 46th or 47th minute - was utterly ludicrous.

EDIT - this will do for now - https://streamable.com/q1e5e?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name =iossmf
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I want a gif of that pass he made in the 46th or 47th minute - was utterly ludicrous.

EDIT - this will do for now - https://streamable.com/q1e5e?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name =iossmf
    Any other player in world football plays that pass and the pundits are creaming their pants over it for weeks, Hendo's absolutely incredible, I've always backed him and rated him, but the levels he's pushing himself to are fantastic, he's doing incredible things everytime he plays for us. I rated him as like having 2 players in one position, Mascherano and Alonso combined, but that pass right there is better than the best I saw from Alonso and he's been playing wordlies like that since he was moved back to No6

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post

Everyone needs to watch this, it has to be the ball of the century, a simply incredible pass, absolutely next level world class ball. Fabinho seriously has to up his game, it does suit us and is necessary in some games to play Gini Fabinho Hendo, but in the games we don't need to do that and only start one of them, Hendo surely HAS to be the pick at No6, his pressing, counter pressing, positions he takes off other players, the ground he covers, his vision and awareness are all superior, but his passing and distribution is absolutely miles better.

It really is like having a better version of Alonso and a better version of Mascherano rolled into one player, Hendo is absolutely incredible, I've always backed him, but even I did not expect him to push himself to the levels I've seen in the last 2 months and now he has, well, let's see how much further he can push himself. That's another aspect of watching this team I love, the players are always working so hard to learn, develop and improve and pushing themselves and each other, the evolution element is just out of this world

Looking through highlights reels of this season, but for players missing opportunities they'd usually bury and should bury, Hendo would be right up there fighting with Trent and Robbo for the most assists, I saw at least 10 where he played Mane or Mo in and they'd score from that position 9 times out of 10

Massive blow having Henderson out. Hope it’s not too long

Thought Klopp got it wrong last night bringing Fabinho in. Hendo at 6 with the Ox or Keita pushing on would have made more sense.

I understand why he did it though.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Thought Klopp got it wrong last night bringing Fabinho in. Hendo at 6 with the Ox or Keita pushing on would have made more sense.

I understand why he did it though.
    I agree to an extent, I see completely why he played that midfield as it has served us so well in so many huge games, but for me it is really a midfield for when we play a side who is very good with the ball and at keeping the ball who is going to keep trying to attack us and I think it would have been absolutely fine and would have worked had they not got their flukey early goal. It's rare Jurgen has an off night, it happens to the very best of them on occasion, after their early goal and the first half I really thought the very first sub should have been Keita for Fabinho with Hendo moving to No6. Let's hope Hendo isn't out for too long and is back for the second leg, we need to look after him as he's our most influential midfielder