Page 44 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3437383940414243444546474849505154 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    The next captain will be replacing a legend

Edit: I think what you meant was the next captain won't be replacing a one of a kind legend like Stevie at a time where the club hadn't been successful and despite Stevie's heroic efforts still hadn't won the Premier League title in almost 30 years and will likely be a player already considered a legend who, like Hendo, is already part of an incredible winning team as were many of the legendary Captains of the 79's and 80's

You've got to hand it to Hendo on that score too I guess, he's probably had it harder than any captain in Liverpool history for numerous reasons and how he's responded to it, well, nobody could have asked for more
    I agree with the last paragraph.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

I think all of the lads from the title winning team have a secure legend status tbh.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    I think all of the lads from the title winning team have a secure legend status tbh.
    Only if they carry on repeating it. No good just winning it once, that's why the 80s teams are still on another level. Cups and titles, they won the lot.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Only if they carry on repeating it. No good just winning it once, that's why the 80s teams are still on another level. Cups and titles, they won the lot.
    I hear you - it's not about winning one PL, it's about winning ten. But considering the huge wait beforehand, they'll be remembered extremely fondly by al of us.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

I hear you - it's not about winning one PL, it's about winning ten. But considering the huge wait beforehand, they'll be remembered extremely fondly by al of us.
    Of course Bali.

They're already legends, they're our first ever team to ever win the club World Club Championship and the only British team to ever be the holders of their domestic title, the Champions League, the CWC and European Super Cup simultaneously, one of only 7 teams to have achieved the feat, all legendary teams in their eras Porto, Ajax, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich (except Porto ) and broke practically every record going in the process, really should already be double Premier League winners, we all know they were blatantly robbed in the 18-19 season and UAE FC know it too

Edit: I do find it curious that certain players can according to some people be labelled legends, despite having landed just one of THE big trophies in all their time at the club, yet others who have been more successful in winning THE big trophies and bringing home trophies we've never won before and joining the prestigious list of just 7 clubs who achieved the feat mentioned earlier, according to some, can't yet be, very curious indeed
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 30th October 2020 at 08:57 PM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I think it is going to be a lot tougher for them this season because of how many games are squeezed into such a short space of time, I think they'd have got to the Champions League final last season and broken more records than they did had it not been for Jurgen and the fabled analysis teams Fabinho aberration last season, Jurgen barely ever gets anything wrong, his history of incredible consistency of correct decisions since he came to the club is absolutely exemplary, but when he gets it wrong, boy, he does not do it by halves, same goes for the Villa debacle

It is deeply unfortunate that this team approaching its peak has coincided with covid and the consistency of formation and selection that helped make them so formidable will be disrupted a lot this season
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 30th October 2020 at 09:08 PM.

Maybe being a legend isn't just about medals.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    They're already legends, they're our first ever team to ever win the club World Club Championship and the only British team to ever be the holders of their domestic title, the Champions League, the CWC and European Super Cup simultaneously, one of only 7 teams to have achieved the feat, all legendary teams in their eras Porto, Ajax, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich (except Porto ) and broke practically every record going in the process, really should already be double Premier League winners, we all know they were blatantly robbed in the 18-19 season and UAE FC know it too

Edit: I do find it curious that certain players can according to some people be labelled legends, despite having landed just one of THE big trophies in all their time at the club, yet others who have been more successful in winning THE big trophies and bringing home trophies we've never won before and joining the prestigious list of just 7 clubs who achieved the feat mentioned earlier, according to some, can't yet be, very curious indeed
    They beat a decent team in the final of the WCC, but like every other english team that's qualified for it, they are virtually given a bye as they play a team that many league one and league two team would have no trouble disposing of. This team will be remembered for winning the title after 30 years wait, but they are a long way off doing what those 80s teams did. If you want to use the term "legends" that's up to you. I will wait and see if the trophies continue or they were a one season wonder regarding the title.
    Would you have classed the 2013-14 as legends under Gerrard had they pipped City to the title, or the 09 team again under Gerrard, and two years before Henderson came in ?
    Last edited by skyebo; 30th October 2020 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    Maybe being a legend isn't just about medals.
    You could be on to something there Stevie, it appears it might be something to do with being a Scouser for some, but for everyone else, they have to bring home the BIG ones numerous times