Page 49 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3942434445464748495051525354555659 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    It was much more of a level playing field pre 90’s and the birth of the premier league. That was the issue. Evans was as hands off - and more so - than managers in the years preceding - while the elite were starting to control diet and well on top of player behaviour. LFC was a party and Fowler was all over it.

Shankly, Paisley, Fagan and Kenny were all men you wouldn’t cross - Evans was a pushover. Lovely fella but not Liverpool FC management material - at least not by that time. Houllier inherited a holiday camp - he did well and was a pro.
    So what if Fowler was all over it, as you put it. Did it affect the way he performed, judging by his goalscoring record, i suggest it didn't.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Definitely effected his longevity I would say. Also believe he would have been more consistent too. What a talent - Imagine if Fergie had had him.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    How do you know the commitment was lacking ? Back then, players from all clubs liked to go out drinking. They knew what they had to do on matchdays. They never came close to winning the title under Evans, but they never finished outside the top 4 either. And we only managed one season of challenging for the title under Houllier out of the six that he was here, the same as under Benitez. I don't know what your problem is with Evans. He should have got the job when Dalglish resigned, they always promoted from within, so why change things. Souness had been away from the club 7 years when they give him the job. I can't blame him for waiting 30 years to get the title, but he was responsible for starting the rot. And Evans wasn't a soft touch, he sent Ruddock home one year when he returned for pre-season training because he was overweight.
    I dont have a problem with Evan's at all. He just didnt cut it as a manager for LFC at that time. The promote from within at that time was indicative of LFC not moving with the times and why they ended up so far behind. You dont give a man the LFC job because of time served, it should be on merit and credentials and it wasnt long before Evans' appointment was questioned.
    The lack of commitment is common knowledge, they didnt apply themselves enough and its pretty much fact, that along with the defence and goalkeeper not being good enough was never going to win the title, the 4th in a 2 horse race season was a joke. Evans also spent a fair amount on bang average players too but most managers do.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I dont have a problem with Evan's at all. He just didnt cut it as a manager for LFC at that time. The promote from within at that time was indicative of LFC not moving with the times and why they ended up so far behind. You dont give a man the LFC job because of time served, it should be on merit and credentials and it wasnt long before Evans' appointment was questioned.
    The lack of commitment is common knowledge, they didnt apply themselves enough and its pretty much fact, that along with the defence and goalkeeper not being good enough was never going to win the title, the 4th in a 2 horse race season was a joke. Evans also spent a fair amount on bang average players too but most managers do.
    You can put the goalkeeper and part of the defence down to Souness. He was the one that brought James Ruddock and Dicks to the club. Evans did though buy Babb and Scales within days of each other. Most of Souness' buys were awful, it was Evans who had the task of clearing up the mess. Yes he made mistakes, but Souness did him no favours at all. It worked for him at Rangers because it's a 2 club league, he also bought established internationals, mainly England ones to topple Celtic.
    Last edited by skyebo; 31st October 2020 at 02:08 PM.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    You can put the goalkeeper and part of the defence down to Souness. He was the one that brought James Ruddock and Dicks to the club. Evans did though buy Babb and Scales within days of each other. Most of Souness' buys were awful, it was Evans who had the task of clearing up the mess. Yes he made mistakes, but Souness did him no favours at all.
    I dont disagree. Souness did try to bring in the likes of Keane, Shearer and others who flat out were not interested in signing. That's how far stock had fallen and it was only around 93/4.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I dont disagree. Souness did try to bring in the likes of Keane, Shearer and others who flat out were not interested in signing. That's how far stock had fallen and it was only around 93/4.
    Once you fall from grace, it's a long way back,as Man utd have discovered since Fergie retired.

I can remember reading a newspaper interview where new Liverpool manager Graeme Souness said he wanted to modernize players diets, influenced by his career in Italy, but few were interested back then.

Henderson is much better at rallying and geeing up the players around him than Gerrard was. He understands and implements klopps system better than any other player we have. When we are on top and strangling teams like we do hes the one who mops up a high percentage of dangerous counter attacks and sets us back attacking their back 4.
    Gerrard was decent as a leader too but his distinction imo is just being one of the best players to ever play the game. I think his ability made it difficult to accept limitations of others at times. You don't have that from Henderson because he's come through the hard way himself. Him smashing a goal in from 30 yards is genius not leadership. Yes he liked to put in a crunching challenge against teams to let them know we are there but that's gone now and our team don't set up to need to do that. Not sure stevie would have enjoyed the style we play under klopp to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    I can remember reading a newspaper interview where new Liverpool manager Graeme Souness said he wanted to modernize players diets, influenced by his career in Italy, but few were interested back then.
    I think he explains his point of view pretty well here:

Etiam si omnes, ego non

What a legend Captain fantastic is, his influence on our team and its aspirations is off the scale
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”