Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 4144454647484950515253545556575861 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain

I think Hendo is reasonably technically gifted, if you look at the actual technique it's very good, hands, feet, body position, head all in exactly the right places, the difference and why people don't give him credit for it is A.They don't appreciate the technique is actually entirely text book correct B And this is the real crux of it, as pathetic as it is, when Henderson plays exactly the same type of top class ball as other players it just doesn't look as smooth or sexy
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Unless you are under 30, he wouldn't get anywhere near a best Liverpool X1, the same goes for most of his team mates. This team has a long way to emulate what the 80s sides done. The truly great teams win trophies regular, they are on the right path but need to keep winning.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

You can't really compare eras.. The 70s and 80s teams were technically superior.. You had to be on the mud heaps they played on.
    But modern day footballers are much more of athletes.
    The competition is much harder now.we have at least 7 teams capable of winning the league.. Back in the day it wasnt the case. Even in Fergies time..Man-united only had to compete with Arsenal, later on was Chelsea and near the end Man-city
    We had some great footballing sides. Especially under Evans. But we were never consistent enough.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    You can't really compare eras.. The 70s and 80s teams were technically superior.. You had to be on the mud heaps they played on.
    But modern day footballers are much more of athletes.
    The competition is much harder now.we have at least 7 teams capable of winning the league.. Back in the day it wasnt the case. Even in Fergies time..Man-united only had to compete with Arsenal, later on was Chelsea and near the end Man-city
    We had some great footballing sides. Especially under Evans. But we were never consistent enough.
    You're absolutely correct, look at how the no back pass rule ended 2 decades of dominance and destroyed what had been a template for success for so long
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

You get 4 chances now to compete in the CL, you had to win the league to get in the European Cup. That's why the UEFA cup was a tough competition, up against the best of the rest, unlike the Europa league, playing against teams who finished 5th or 6th in their own leagues.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

A lot of teams were expert at passing back to the goal-keeper. The Italian teams that's all they did

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    You get 4 chances now to compete in the CL, you had to win the league to get in the European Cup. That's why the UEFA cup was a tough competition, up against the best of the rest, unlike the Europa league, playing against teams who finished 5th or 6th in their own leagues.
    I think the champions league is much better in the sense. You don't get knocked out over 2 legs in the first round. That means you had to win your league every year to just get into that competition. I don't agree with 3rd place going into the Europa league though. It devalues that competition even further.

A lot of teams were expert at passing back to the goal-keeper. The Italian teams that's all they did
    Not just passing back, slowing the game down to suit our tempo. But the new back pass rule was for everyone, it didn't take us 30 years to get a title because of that, we just weren't good enough.

I think the champions league is much better in the sense. You don't get knocked out over 2 legs in the first round..Means you have to win your league every year to just get into that competition. I don't agree with 3rd place going into the Europa league though. It devalues that competition even further.
    It's harder to win than the European cup, just easier to qualify for it.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Not just passing back, slowing the game down to suit our tempo. But the new back pass rule was for everyone, it didn't take us 30 years to get a title because of that, we just weren't good enough.
    I know, never suggested that was why we won titles.. we had superb forwards/midfielders/and defenders.. It kinda works well