Page 52 of 76 FirstFirst ... 24245464748495051525354555657585962 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I know, never suggested that was why we won titles.. we had superb forwards/midfielders/and defenders.. It kinda works well
    I've never seen a better club side than the ones we had in the 80s, certainly not in this country. And i don't think i ever will either.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Not just passing back, slowing the game down to suit our tempo. But the new back pass rule was for everyone, it didn't take us 30 years to get a title because of that, we just weren't good enough.
    Although we did keep buying players for the old template for at least 10 years after
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Although we did keep buying players for the old template for at least 10 years after
    When did that rule come in, because i think the old rule applied when the Premier league was introduced.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    I've never seen a better club side than the ones we had in the 80s, certainly not in this country. And i don't think i ever will either.
    I was around 6/7 when i started to become a fan that was in the mid 80s. was to young to remember how good they were.
    But every so often you get special teams that just work on the same wavelength finally attuned. Like Mozart and the Beatles when it comes to music.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I was around 6/7 when i started to become a fan that was in the mid 80s. was to young to remember how good they were.
    But every so often you get special teams that just work on the same wavelength finally attuned. Like Mozart and the Beatles when it comes to music.
    Indeed.

I'm going to go against the grain here - but I think a few of the great teams of the past would struggle today. The speed of the game has increased imeasurably. Even looking back as recent as the turn of the Millenium it's a totally different game.

However - If some of the players of yesteryear had been brought through today, in terms of training, physique and nutrition etc. Then yes they would of course be at the top of the game.

I think Messi and Ronaldo would destroy teams (more so than today!) if they were sent back in time. I think Pele and Maradona migt have struggled. But again it's down to the sheer speed of the game.

And I agree, this side still has a long way to go to be held in the same regards as those teams from the 70s and 80s. But they're not far off...
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

I think that is miles out on the modern attackers - the pitches alone would render 4 out of 5 moves Ronny or Messi attempt impossible. That is before they got their legs snapped and taken out. No tackle from behind makes the game a very different beast.

Seriously it is the other way round. Fitness wise no argument modern footballer are much fitter and better nourished particularly than over here -in Italy they were on that tip from the early 80’s.

The game has changed massively in favour of attacking play.
    Last edited by Steveo; 7th December 2020 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I think that is miles out on the modern attackers - the pitches alone would render 4 out of 5 moves Ronny or Messi attempt impossible. That is before they got their legs snapped and taken out. No tackle from behind makes the game a very different beast.

Seriously it is the other way round. Fitness wise no argument modern footballer are much fitter and better nourished particularly than over here -in Italy they were on that tip from the early 80’s.

The game has changed massively in favour of attacking play.
    The defenders would have to catch them first. ��
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    The defenders would have to catch them first. ��
    Well that is true. As others have said it is impossible to tell really. So many differences to the game nowadays.

Be bloody interesting to see a top team now play a top team from then - one game with old officiating and pitches and the other on a modern surface and officiating - full on VAR too.

John Barnes vs Harry Maquire

Diego Maradona vs David Luiz

Tommy Smith vs Raheem Sterling