Page 53 of 76 FirstFirst ... 34346474849505152535455565758596063 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    John Barnes vs Harry Maquire

Diego Maradona vs David Luiz

Tommy Smith vs Raheem Sterling
    Not really a fair comparison though, no? All the modern players you mentioned will be remembered as very good but not truly spectacular members of their generation bar maybe Sterling.

The old timey ones are legends of the game with one of them being possibly the greatest ever.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    John Barnes vs Harry Maquire

Diego Maradona vs David Luiz

Tommy Smith vs Raheem Sterling
    See what you mean, but to be fair the reverse of that is easily done - you've selected a legend versus a Donkey.

Shane Long v Franco Baresi
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

England left winger v England CB.
    Why is that such a mismatch?

Wouldn’t be as funny as Tommy Smith marking Raheem Sterling though.

Call the paramedics ....

Mike Basset England manager comes to mind.
    Last edited by Steveo; 7th December 2020 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Not really a fair comparison though, no? All the modern players you mentioned will be remembered as very good but not truly spectacular members of their generation bar maybe Sterling.

The old timey ones are legends of the game with one of them being possibly the greatest ever.
    It wasn't meant to be Bali. It was supposed to be funny i.e. two wizards of the dribble vs two 'clowns', plus a diving, overrated, 'beep' vs Smith, who I'm sure would love to have 'a word' with Mr $t£rling.
    Last edited by RedNoodle; 7th December 2020 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

Mike Basset England manager comes to mind.
    How them lads kept a straight face I'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    How them lads kept a straight face I'll never know.
    I know - must have been take 200...

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    You can't really compare eras.. The 70s and 80s teams were technically superior.. You had to be on the mud heaps they played on.
    But modern day footballers are much more of athletes.
    The competition is much harder now.we have at least 7 teams capable of winning the league.. Back in the day it wasnt the case. Even in Fergies time..Man-united only had to compete with Arsenal, later on was Chelsea and near the end Man-city
    We had some great footballing sides. Especially under Evans. But we were never consistent enough.
    The 1970s was very competitive.
    Look at 1975
    I think 8 teams were in for the league title.

Derby Leeds Liverpool Stoke Boro Sheff U Ipswich Everton. Only a few points separated them.

For me the 1970s was very varied

Everton
    Arsenal
    Leeds
    Liverpool x3
    Derby x2
    Forest x2

All won it.

And if you look back at the top 4 or 6
    Very varied indeed.

With the likes of WBA Ipswich Coventry Burnley Wolves Derby Stoke finishing in the top 6.

So dont agree with your "back in the day"

Also I dont agree with your 7 teams can win it.
    I'd say 2.
    Possibly 4. No more.

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    Also I dont agree with your 7 teams can win it.
    I'd say 2.
    Possibly 4. No more.
    Everybody usually thinks that 4, 5 even 6 teams can win it..........in October or November.

And then by the New Year - and after the hectic Christmas schedule has winnowed out the chaff - we all get a better idea of what's what and who's really in the race.

Spurs have been relatively healthy and despite playing well in some really tough games (City, Chelsea, the North London derby), we're still yet to see how well the likes of Kane hold up after a hectic run of games - especially with his notorious injury record.

The fact that we're tied with them in points while undergoing one of the worst injury crises we've had as a club in recent years (virtually our entire back four bar Robertson, was out injured - including the goalie - up until the last match when Trent returned. And our mid-field is a rotating door to the physio's bench), just speaks volumes as to how well we've done this season despite it all.

Can't wait to see how much better we can be when we start getting players back and get on a run of games.

At some point Spurs are going to play a team (or teams) that will break them early (maybe us?) and force them to play out of Mourinho's shell in a way they're not used to and then we'll see what's what with how good they really are.
    They still haven't had to play from behind so far, and the telling sign of a champion or champions elect is being able to play (and thrive) outside your comfort zone.
    I also still think Chelsea and City (despite their recent run) still have major questions about their respective defenses, and Leicester is,....well....Leicester. A standard issue Brendan outfit.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!