Page 58 of 76 FirstFirst ... 84851525354555657585960616263646568 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    I was never a Lucas fan but you could never say he never gave 100% for the club. I think that was why he won POTY back in the day. It's just a pity his 100% was average at best.
    Football's a funny game, a lot of people yearn for the crunching tackles and midfielders going to ground flying in and are of the opinion that makes a great midfielder, even if those tackles are only necessary because said midfielder hasn't done his job properly in the first place and they forget all the ones they were so badly positioned for they weren't even near enough to make one

Me, i like my players to read the game and position themselves expertly and nick the ball off players or intercept it ahead of them or toe end it away from them to one of ours
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I'm wondering if Hendo's playing on with that thigh issue he's had, remember he tweaked it v Chelsea playing Mane through, he seems uncharacteristically reticent to play those longer switches and balls over the top from deeper we became so reliant on, for me he's playing with an issue or doesn't trust it having tweaked it twice already this season playing those longer balls
    he played a good few through balls over the top. But since its you.. you ignore that.. has for playing over the top. You also neglect West-Brom spent their entire time in there own box 30 yards of the pitch,their entire team. no space at all to play over the back..
    they played so deep our defenders played as midfielders a lot of the time.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Football's a funny game, a lot of people yearn for the crunching tackles and midfielders going to ground flying in and are of the opinion that makes a great midfielder, even if those tackles are only necessary because said midfielder hasn't done his job properly in the first place and they forget all the ones they were so badly positioned for they weren't even near enough to make one

Me, i like my players to read the game and position themselves expertly and nick the ball off players or intercept it ahead of them or toe end it away from them to one of ours
    That sounds very Like Fabinho.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    That sounds very Like Fabinho.
    The first bit yes, the second bit is my issue with him

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    he played a good few through balls over the top. But since its you.. you ignore that.. has for playing over the top. You also neglect West-Brom spent their entire time in there own box 30 yards of the pitch,their entire team. no space at all to play over the back..
    they played so deep our defenders played as midfielders a lot of the time.
    He did, the way we broke down the vast majority of park the bus teams last season, especially in that run of 15 wins with Hendo in the centre was the centre to left switch to Mane, with Robbo and Gini backing it up to win the second ball and Mo and Bobby making ready for runs into the box. We didn't do that nearly enough yesterday and it was on most of the time

Mane is an absolute beast, despite not being the biggest he is brilliant at getting in front of his defenders for those balls and winning them knocked back to Robbo or Gini or making it so difficult for the defender they can't affect a good clearance and Robbo or Gini winning the second ball, that was missing yesterday

For me Mane is our best forward, he completely rattles teams and defenders and even in his dry spell he remained supremely confident, look at what he did for Minamino's opener v Palace, most strikers as prolific as Mane, including Mo, would have snatched at a shot that was never on from there had they been on a dry run, but Mane calmly pulls it down, gets his head up and picks out Minamino for 1-0

Where's the captain gone??

As santa took him away?

Thiago showed the level of midfielder we should be looking at. He was awesome and he’s just coming into the country and into the team. He was absolutely excellent.

He looks very good, miller. I guess games like this is why he was brought in. Not that it was creativity that let us down today mind you - it was finishing.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Thiago showed the level of midfielder we should be looking at. He was awesome and he’s just coming into the country and into the team. He was absolutely excellent.
    He's fucking quality, he's THE perfect addition to compliment Hendo and Gini and take our passing and creativity up a few levels, I've been gutted he's been missing for so long

Really ,what was the point of him at the back tonight ? When we needed a bit of drive when obviously the starting line up in midfield wasn't working Hendo was watching scratching his balls at the back.