Page 6 of 76 FirstFirst 123456789101112131656 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    I recall being absolutely gutted when Henderson got the late red card against city in 2014. It meant he missed 3 of the last 4 games that season. It was a massive blow. He had a huge influence that season.
    Forget Gerrard's slip, Henderson's red card probably cost us the title that season.

Not many Captains have won Club World Cup, Champion's League and European Super Cup in the same calendar year.

Fernando Hierro (Real Madrid)
    Carles Puyol (Barcelona)
    Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich)
    Andres Iniesta (Barcelona)
    Iker Casillas (Real Madrid)
    Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)
    Jordan Henderson (Liverpool)

Gerrard was injured for the 2005 Super Cup, wasn't he? So Jordan has Captained the side to as many Cups as Gerrard did? Open to correction.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Forget Gerrard's slip, Henderson's red card probably cost us the title that season.
    We played the same way with Henderson in the team as we did without him, so I doubt his absence cost us the title.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    I love Hendo as much as the next guy (I did start the thread) but captaincy in general is load of bollocks. VVD, Milner, Robbo or even Trent would make decent captains. As good as Hendo is stamina/endurance aside there isn't any part of his game as good as Gerrard's.
    Overall team play as opposed to individuality, selflessness and defending are all parts of Henderson's game that are vastly superior
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Most of the players in this side are vastly superior to the houllier team and all the teams gerrard played in. We would have won feck all since 95 without stevie. The older teams would have won feck all with Henderson in them rather than stevie though imo. Henderson is perfect fit for this side and klopps style and is a top class midfielder. Not a match winner though which is what we needed stevie to be at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    We played the same way with Henderson in the team as we did without him, so I doubt his absence cost us the title.
    In my honest opinion we were better when Henderson played because he gave Gerrard the freedom to get forward and supply the forwards. Who replaced the suspended Henderson? I genuinely can’t remember.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    In my honest opinion we were better when Henderson played because he gave Gerrard the freedom to get forward and supply the forwards. Who replaced the suspended Henderson? I genuinely can’t remember.
    I'm trying to think back - Sturbridge I think may not have played against Norwich and our squad options were limited then - I seem to remember us using Moses in the later stages of that season, so maybe Moses/Sterling/Suarez up front.

Gerrard and Coutinho surely would have played behind that.....so......Allen?

Well, if it was Allen, we definitely didn’t play the same with or without Henderson. Losing him for those 3 games was definitely a blow. Rodgers has mentioned it many times.

It’s a shame the forum history doesn’t go back that far. It would be great to go back and read those match threads.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Rodgers would quite naturally mention it. It was the run in and we dropped 5 points losing stupidly at home ( Chelsea - the ego game I call it ) in a game we didn’t need to win and then trying to catch up goal difference when 3 goals ahead at Palace. What else would Rodgers say. It was ultimately bad luck - Gerrard’s slip and naive management that cost us BUT Henderson played in 5 of our 6 losses and 5 of our 6 draws. So did Phil Coutinho BTW.

It's going to sound like an odd thing to say, but my sense of regret about 13/14 isn't all that large.

In terms of the "Butterfly Effect" we may not be where we are now if that season goes differently - poised for Dynasty-building with Klopp and a team that's incredibly likeable.

It's funny how stuff works out - Blackburn were going to sign Lewandowski but his flight was delayed due to the Iceland ash cloud, so he ended up signing for Dortmund. Dortmund.may not have been QUITE as good as they became and Klopp may never have become our manager.

Blackburn, as it happens, apparently could have signed Zidane but went for Tim Sherwood. Odd thing, this Football lark.

Can we beat Leicester please? Followed by racking up points in January and February during the horrible run City have?