Page 74 of 76 FirstFirst ... 246467686970717273747576 LastLast

Thread: Captain

This is revenge over the failed super league. This is purely about making money from FSG. I'm starting to hate them.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Its unlikely Henderson were to leave this summer. But if he did. I don't think i could watch another game and feel the same. Henderson is one of the heart and soul of this club and hes an excellent footballer..
    I seriously don't know whats happening at out club.,But it all boils down to MONEY in the main.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    James Pearce reporting renewing Hendos contract isn't a priority for Michael Edwards and may be open to offers for him. Very sad if true, he's been a fantastic Captain for the club and deserves some loyalty.
    Hopefully it's just bollox.
    Unfuckingbelieveable, imagine if Hendo went to City for 2 seasons, they'd be absolutely unstoppable, Hendo orchestrating their press to levels far high than it has ever been, having De Bruyne and Gundojan either side of him with their passing ability and having Hendo's world class ability at incredibly accurate balls from deep to release their inside forwards and his switches to release them and either full back, if any of City's No6's had had Hendo's ability at the things he is absolutely world class at detailed, we'd have never caught them
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I wouldnt worry about that Nineteen no chance does he go there.

Klopp talks loads about captains / leaders he wont sell him so that will be the end of it.

Hendo will sign a new deal im sure he is different to Gini part of the club you dont let those players go whilst they are still quality.

He’s missed 93 days and 72 days in the previous 2 seasons. It all depends on what his demands are for me. If he is looking for £200,000 per week or so for parity with Salah etc and is maybe going to be playing less then, in the cold light of day, I can see why renewal isn't a huge priority for us. Key word being "priority" - nobody at the club will be pushing Henderson out the door, as it were. But paying someone to be in the treatment room for 2-3 months during a season isn't a sound way to go either.

I rather imagine (we don't know what he's asking for) we'll find a way to compromise, whereby he has an incentive-based boost to his "flat rate" wages, based on his amount of appearances, or something of that ilk. A time will come (it hasn't yet) where, if he can happily accept it, he can take the Milner role - but he still has good seasons left in him.

I really hope he stays and (when the time is right) is willing to accept less game time. I'd have loved Gerrard for example to have been willing to accept coming on for the last 15-20 minutes of matches rather than walking around a lot in his final playing days with us. I could definitely see Henderson having 2 or 3 good seasons with us, then 1 or 2 more with reduced game time.

Cracking role model, cracking player, hope he stays. Will not hit the big red panic button if he leaves (two years from now) as we have had a lot of excellent midfielders at the club and we are still here despite their absence.

Nothing to sweat on as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    He’s missed 93 days and 72 days in the previous 2 seasons. It all depends on what his demands are for me. If he is looking for £200,000 per week or so for parity with Salah etc and is maybe going to be playing less then, in the cold light of day, I can see why renewal isn't a huge priority for us. Key word being "priority" - nobody at the club will be pushing Henderson out the door, as it were. But paying someone to be in the treatment room for 2-3 months during a season isn't a sound way to go either.

I rather imagine (we don't know what he's asking for) we'll find a way to compromise, whereby he has an incentive-based boost to his "flat rate" wages, based on his amount of appearances, or something of that ilk. A time will come (it hasn't yet) where, if he can happily accept it, he can take the Milner role - but he still has good seasons left in him.

I really hope he stays and (when the time is right) is willing to accept less game time. I'd have loved Gerrard for example to have been willing to accept coming on for the last 15-20 minutes of matches rather than walking around a lot in his final playing days with us. I could definitely see Henderson having 2 or 3 good seasons with us, then 1 or 2 more with reduced game time.

Cracking role model, cracking player, hope he stays. Will not hit the big red panic button if he leaves (two years from now) as we have had a lot of excellent midfielders at the club and we are still here despite their absence.

You see to be agreeing a lot with the contract situations and seem to be backing the club over the players . You know it would be actually worth it if we brought players in?..
    Then again if we buy them younger means we can sell them on get money back. thats all it boils down too. "older"
    players cant be sold on and Jesus old is 30 now..

I'm starting to get completely fucked off with how the owners are acting.. Anyone who thinks we will sign more than 1 more player this season is wrong.. if we dont get out the dead would. we will end up with fuck all.
    We only got Thiago on a deal that spans 5 years.. Its absolutely crazy we got Konata.. But wait if we sell Philips and Neco Williams we will almost get the money back.

I'd always back the club over the players as the club outlasts the playing careers of individual players? Perhaps I've misunderstood what you're trying to say (and apologies if I have, long day and a very tough month in general) but "the club comes first" would pretty much be my default position.

We do need to shift players - I think we are currently on 19(?) foreign players and we have 9(?) homegrown players - so to get our 25-man squad we need to be moving on at least 3 - then if you want an incoming transfer we need to have moved on 4 and if you want 2 incoming transfers, we need to have moved on 5 - we'll see where we are towards the ends of the window.

As for the likes of selling Phillips etc, I'm personally all aboard the self-sustainability train. If we can sell players we don't use much to help fund those we do, great. Protects the club against debts and it's a much nicer alternative to being owned by murderous slave-traders.

Speaking of funds and FSG, I often hear some of our fans say this "FSG need to invest" sort of sentiment, aka out of their own pocket. I've no qualms with people having that opinion (opinions make football chat great!) but always wanted elaboration - as examples -

- How much should they invest?
    - Should the money borrowed to fund said investment be debt that they are in, or that the club is in?
    - When and how should said debt be paid back?
    - Would the powers that be allow Liverpool to bypass the FFP rules (that they won't enforce for City but you can guarantee they'd enforce for us...) in this manner?

...and so on.

Back on Henderson - I do love the guy. I do hope he is here at 35. I do hope he retires with us. But again, to use the word "priority" I can certainly see why Salah, Van Dijk and Alisson are deemed more important in terms of quality for securing how we will look over the next 2-5 years. Salah particularly seems to get very few muscle injuries and could (touch wood) go on to be a "Ronaldo" type whereby he is still beating it into age 33-36. Henderson is, to use a Rodgersism, a "wonderful human being" and an excellent, excellent midfielder, though I don't think (facts/figures/stats) he is almost impossible to replace in the same way that the aforementioned 3 players are.

Hasn’t stopped us renewing Allison

I'd always back the club over the players as the club outlasts the playing careers of individual players? Perhaps I've misunderstood what you're trying to say (and apologies if I have, long day and a very tough month in general) but "the club comes first" would pretty much be my default position.

We do need to shift players - I think we are currently on 19(?) foreign players and we have 9(?) homegrown players - so to get our 25-man squad we need to be moving on at least 3 - then if you want an incoming transfer we need to have moved on 4 and if you want 2 incoming transfers, we need to have moved on 5 - we'll see where we are towards the ends of the window.

As for the likes of selling Phillips etc, I'm personally all aboard the self-sustainability train. If we can sell players we don't use much to help fund those we do, great. Protects the club against debts and it's a much nicer alternative to being owned by murderous slave-traders.

Speaking of funds and FSG, I often hear some of our fans say this "FSG need to invest" sort of sentiment, aka out of their own pocket. I've no qualms with people having that opinion (opinions make football chat great!) but always wanted elaboration - as examples -

- How much should they invest?
    - Should the money borrowed to fund said investment be debt that they are in, or that the club is in?
    - When and how should said debt be paid back?
    - Would the powers that be allow Liverpool to bypass the FFP rules (that they won't enforce for City but you can guarantee they'd enforce for us...) in this manner?

...and so on.

Back on Henderson - I do love the guy. I do hope he is here at 35. I do hope he retires with us. But again, to use the word "priority" I can certainly see why Salah, Van Dijk and Alisson are deemed more important in terms of quality for securing how we will look over the next 2-5 years. Salah particularly seems to get very few muscle injuries and could (touch wood) go on to be a "Ronaldo" type whereby he is still beating it into age 33-36. Henderson is, to use a Rodgersism, a "wonderful human being" and an excellent, excellent midfielder, though I don't think (facts/figures/stats) he is almost impossible to replace in the same way that the aforementioned 3 players are.
    The FFP is nonsense. firstly it its not enforced this season and secondly even if it is.. Its not actually enforced correctly

Going back to the contract situation. It appears to me every single penny is counted.. Henderson 2 more years. means this player if we sign can only have this amount and that amount. And most of all. our owners are mega rich and the club is mega rich.. what hell happened to all the kit sponser money.. the 500million investment and all the money we made during our champion league and premier league campaigns. Its bizarre the owners gave Rodgers way more money than Klopp.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Hasn’t stopped us renewing Allison
    Alisson is 28 (younger, relative to peak career length, for a keeper) and probably one of the top three goalkeepers in World Football. Henderson, excellent as he may be, probably isn't one of the top three midfielders in World Football (as excellent as he is for our system and as unbelievable a role model as he may be) and has less "peak" years left, probably unlikely to get much better (on the pitch) as well.

It's slightly different. Again, I can't emphasise this enough, I really want Hendo here in 4 years, I really want him to retire with us and don't want us selling him next Summer. I just have no issue stepping back from the situation and looking at things from a few angles and/or playing a bit of Devil's advocate.