Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2565686970717273747576 LastLast

Thread: Captain

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    what hell happened to all the kit sponser money.. the 500million investment and all the money we made during our champion league and premier league campaigns. Its bizarre the owners gave Rodgers way more money than Klopp.
    Good question.

Don't have a full+complete answer for you. However, we will have lost approximately £120m due to the Pandemic, a figure that could be higher (people have had to guesstimate due to the date within which the accounts fall each year, so only some of the damage can be officially "seen") which is part of it. Then the AXA Training Centre cost £50m, we've had a stand redeveloped and the next stand redevelopment is going to cost approximately £60m, with that money known to have been "set aside" already.

Rightly or wrongly, our Modus Operandi is a combination of self-sustainability, data analytics and planning for the future. I think we largely do a great job, though it's essential we have the right Chess pieces to make it work - Edwards has been brilliant with transfer negotiation and I, much as I like most of what we strive for, have my reservations about the post-Klopp appointment as he is an insanely Boss manager and pretty irreplaceable. I actually think we might promote from within (Pep Lijnders?) on a short-term deal to see how we go with someone who knows the workings of the club and the transfer team etc but I don't give that too much thought as the existential dread kicks in

We could be looking at a possible swap with Althi for Saul.

Come on, you don't honestly think they are using club generated funds for the training ground and stadium expansion? they'll be taking loans out left right and centre

Maybe captain marvel should have helped the club reduce its wage bill during the pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Maybe captain marvel should have helped the club reduce its wage bill during the pandemic
    Or FSG could have refused to take their dividends, bonuses and anything else they could afford to live without.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    This is revenge over the failed super league. This is purely about making money from FSG. I'm starting to hate them.
    He was one of the ring leaders who opposed it. At the time I thought he will be punished somehow in future by the club.

Not sure if it is the case.

I do have to say players are hypocrites as well, they are apparently about the soul of football but want to negotiate new deals. Dortmund want 150 million for Haaland but were apparently one of the saviors of football.

If FSG DONT MAKE SIGNIFICANT SIGNINGS I WILL HATE THEM AS WELL. BUT I AM DONE SIDING WITH ANY PLAYER OR ANYONE DIRECTLY BENEFITING FINANCIALLY FROM FANS BEING RIPPED OF AND THEN PRETENDING TO CARE.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Or FSG could have refused to take their dividends, bonuses and anything else they could afford to live without.
    Hendo and players were asked to take a small temporary cut to their wages during the pandemic. 25% of their gross wages.

Instead he rallied the lads together and ensured there would be no pay reduction from players.
    Instead they would donate (iirc) a comparable amount of money to their own foundation.

Not sure how it works with players but the charity work might not have cost them as much as we might think. Might even have left them better off than had they taken the pay cut.
    With Bill Gates his charity work is often critiqued as a means of tax avoidance, or more properly a means of reducing tax liabilities.
    It's a kind of incentive for philanthropy, where the losers tend to be the tax payers. Whilst the philanthropist gets the benefit of less tax taken and the positive pr.

Klopp took a voluntary pay cut.

Think it was incumbent of the players to take a pay cut rather than owners/fsg-consortium myself.
    However, cant hold it against them.

Quote Originally Posted by HLOGI View Post
    He was one of the ring leaders who opposed it. At the time I thought he will be punished somehow in future by the club.

Not sure if it is the case.

I do have to say players are hypocrites as well, they are apparently about the soul of football but want to negotiate new deals. Dortmund want 150 million for Haaland but were apparently one of the saviors of football.

If FSG DONT MAKE SIGNIFICANT SIGNINGS I WILL HATE THEM AS WELL. BUT I AM DONE SIDING WITH ANY PLAYER OR ANYONE DIRECTLY BENEFITING FINANCIALLY FROM FANS BEING RIPPED OF AND THEN PRETENDING TO CARE.
    Hes 31 with 2 years left on his contract having picked up injuries in the last 2 seasons.
    Not exactly a priority to tie down imo and you dont want to be extending contracts if his wage demands are in the Gini/PSG zone.

As per your first paragraph and Justmes point, I'd say that's not an outlandish claim at all.

If you've been paid millions in wages, seen your new manager bring you success on the pitch and the stadium been expanded.
    Be careful pissing of the heads of the organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Hes 31 with 2 years left on his contract having picked up injuries in the last 2 seasons.
    Not exactly a priority to tie down imo and you dont want to be extending contracts if his wage demands are in the Gini/PSG zone.
    Agree. he has been a wonderful servant. sometimes much maligned. But the 3 key players are VVD, TAA and AB. Mo Salah is also crucial. Those are the 3-4 main renewals to focus on.

In football nothing is permanent. Those who go, go.