Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: AC Milan (possible sidenote Serie A discussion)

AC Milan (possible sidenote Serie A discussion)

How the Mighty have fallen.

In a League where the money isn't quite the same as the Premier League, AC Milan are the embodiment of the sense of "what went wrong?" for Serie A. Yes, Juventus manage to remain relevant in Europe by being one of the top sides and yes, Antonio Conte's arrival at Inter is shaking things up a bit that may rejuvenate that League, but in the grand scheme of things it's all rather falling behind - and Milan represent the decline more than most.

This is their seventh (?) year without Champion's League football and a 14-point gap separating them from 4th-placed Roma (Dzeko is amazing for them by the way) suggests that the barren spell is set to continue. The iconic San Siro may well be demolished by 2026 to accommodate a new stadium but truthfully I don't see Milan having much of a side to work with by then to benefit.

They look a spent force for the foreseeable future and given their place in the echelons of History I must admit to finding it a bit sad, especially when you consider that they are seeking aid in the form of a 38-year old Zlatan Ibrahimovic to help them.

If ever a side needed a good crop of young players and an excellent coach, it's them - wonder if there is someone out there to do the job.

Fiorentina and Sampdoria happen to be perilously close to the relegation spots as well - it isn't such a long time ago (big picture) that Fiorentina were giving Liverpool a very hard time in the Champion's League - would be a shame to see them slip to Serie B.

Parma at least is a nice "Phoenix from the Ashes" story.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

The San Siro is currently used by both Inter and AC Milan, I believe?
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

I watched serie A in the late 80s early 90s and enjoyed watching that AC Milan side.

Van basten, Gullit, Rijkaard, at AC along with players like Desailly, Papin, Weah, plus Baresi, Costacurta, Donadoni.

v Inter with the German players; Lothar Matthaus, Brehme, Klinsmann.

Des Walker, Gascoigne, Platt.
    Plus other foreign players.

Sunday after roast dinner, my portable telly and snoozing on my bed.

These days I'd play football Saturday afternoon then again on sunday morning.

Later on in the mid 90s sky premier league took off.

One of the characters Giuseppe "Beppe" Signori scored some spectacular goals.

I've been to the "San Siro" once for a game.

I was always impressed seeing it on the tv. The walk up to the stadium has an impressive graffiti wall of footballers.

Also outside the ground has many stalls serving delicious foods.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    The San Siro is currently used by both Inter and AC Milan, I believe?
    Have done so since 1947.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    How the Mighty have fallen.

.........., but in the grand scheme of things it's all rather falling behind - and Milan represent the decline more than most.

This is their seventh (?) year without Champion's League football and a 14-point gap separating them from 4th-placed Roma (Dzeko is amazing for them by the way) suggests that the barren spell is set to continue. The iconic San Siro may well be demolished by 2026 to accommodate a new stadium but truthfully I don't see Milan having much of a side to work with by then to benefit.

They look a spent force for the foreseeable future and given their place in the echelons of History I must admit to finding it a bit sad, especially when you consider that they are seeking aid in the form of a 38-year old Zlatan Ibrahimovic to help them.
    A traditional league powerhouse looking at 7 years (and counting) without Champion's League footie, and facing a prolonged decline?

(*....looks towards Old Trafford.........*)

Sounds tasty.

But seriously though, I hope they do recover sooner rather than later (but not before we catch up with their Champion's League wins tally, and overtake them), but I can't say this is that much of a surprise.
    They have been badly mismanaged by meddling ownership, terrible spending, firing managers they should have held on to, and just the usual living on fumes from the past that we tend to see from clubs at this stage of decline (**looks again at Old Trafford.....).
    I don't think the Mancs are going to be anywhere near this bad in the near future, but they might just remain in that nowhereland of just good enough to be mid-table and give the fans hope that glory days are around the corner, but yet perpetually bad enough that they'll never really get there again.
    Which in the grand scheme of things might be worse.

Sometimes it takes falling all the way to rock bottom (or close to it) before you can undergo a real and proper recovery, just like us when we were close to administration not that long ago under those two cowboy clowns.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Used to have Dida, Cafu, Maldini, Nesta, Seedorf, Inzaghi, Kluviet, Ronaldinho, Stam, Emerson, Pirlo years back, great to watch

Fuck Milan and their scum coward fans. Been in the San Siro away end, will never go back, horrible cunts and I'm not ashamed to call them that. On another note, the Diego Maradona doc is eye opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    Fuck Milan and their scum coward fans. Been in the San Siro away end, will never go back, horrible cunts and I'm not ashamed to call them that. On another note, the Diego Maradona doc is eye opening.
    Do you have a link for that?
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Do you have a link for that?
    I watched it on an app my IPTV provider sent me, think it was a film to be honest. They were showing it in the cinemas over here not long ago. He even call the Italians racist back when he played for Napoli, the whole of Italy were against them and gave them loads of stick, well worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    What were they doing? Was it for a Liverpool game?
    Cant think of when weve played them in a game aside from 05 and 07 finals.