Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man City v Arsenal postponed

Man City v Arsenal postponed

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1643922

Tonight's Premier League match between Manchester City and Arsenal has been postponed as a precautionary measure following the announcement on Tuesday that Evangelos Marinakis has contracted COVID-19.

Thirteen days ago, Olympiakos played Arsenal at Emirates Stadium in the UEFA Europa League and Mr Marinakis, the Greek club's owner, met with several Arsenal squad members and staff.

Following medical advice, Arsenal FC and Manchester City FC consider it is necessary to postpone their fixture due to be played this evening, Wednesday 11 March, to give time to fully assess the situation.

The Premier League has therefore agreed that tonight's match will be rearranged.

We understand this will cause inconvenience and cost to fans planning to attend the game but Arsenal, Manchester City and the Premier League have agreed that the short notice of Mr Marinakis' infection means there is no alternative but to take the time to complete a proper assessment of risk.

All necessary measures are being taken and the Premier League currently has no plans to postpone any other matches.

Yes I saw that on SSN

If anything this would mean that serious consideration should be given to all Europa League and Champions League games being cancelled, because Premier League teams and players are travelling to countries and regions which present a much higher risk

Since that game Arsenal have played Portsmouth and West Ham, Portsmouth have played Peterborough and Fleetwood neither of whom have played another side yet, West Ham haven't played any other side yet

So potential affected clubs, staff and players are Arsenal, Portsmouth, West Ham, Fleetwood and Peterborough.

Arsenal players and all their staff should all be tested immediately, without any delay, and if they all test clear then there isn't any issue, if they are not, then players and staff from all the clubs they have played and the teams those clubs have played have to be tested too, which you think they would do immediately anyway just in case

What seems odd is that all Arsenal players and staff allegedly met the Olympiakos owner around the second leg, surely logically they met him at the first leg too and/or were in contact with players and staff members who had been in contact with him, meaning UAE FC are already at risk and should be tested
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 11th March 2020 at 03:48 AM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Need to get this league wrapped up with the next two games. Seriously getting worried about this now.
    There's talk of Seria A being cancelled and the champions and relegation sides being decided by play offs FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by pob View Post
    Need to get this league wrapped up with the next two games. Seriously getting worried about this now.
    There's talk of Seria A being cancelled and the champions and relegation sides being decided by play offs FFS.
    Lol the Italians are mental though, the Europa League and Champions League are surely at the greatest threat of being cancelled or the UK Gov excluding UK clubs from the competitions

I think the consideration for the Champions of Serie A being decided by play off is purely because there is only 1 point between the top 2, I think that's daft anyway, but can see why they'd consider it.

It's a lot more cut and dried in our league
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Lol the Italians are mental though, the Europa League and Champions League are surely at the greatest threat of being cancelled or the UK Gov excluding UK clubs from the competitions

I think the consideration for the Champions of Serie A being decided by play off is purely because there is only 1 point between the top 2, I think that's daft anyway, but can see why they'd consider it.

That means Brexit complete

I blame immigration 🤣🤣🤣

Just imagine

Leeds United not getting promoted yet again too

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post

How is it more cut and dried in our league?
    If the government decides in say the next two weeks that all future sporting events for the foreseeable should be cancelled. What do you think the PL will do if we haven't won the league? They're not going to just give it to us because we're way ahead. likewise at the other end they can hardly relegate teams that have a mathematical chance of survival.
    It's a valid fear imo.

There is no way the premier league would stop us winning the league.Not with the position we are in. Simple as that. people need to stop worrying.
    Leader of all..master of none..

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    There is no way the premier league would stop us winning the league.Not with the position we are in. Simple as that. people need to stop worrying.
    Of course they won't, BUT they could scrap the season based 'on government advice' if it comes to it.

If it was City this far ahead but we still had a mathematical chance of catching them, we'd be screaming from the rooftops if the FA just gave them title without them actually winning it.

If/when a couple of PL players or staff get it, that's when the shit hits the fan.

I reckon (hope) we'll get our next 2 PL games in, after that anything could happen.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

The common sense approach is to cancel the Euro's and extend the season if need be.

The problem with just cancelling the season is it is not just the premier league you are talking about clubs getting promoted all the way down the leagues not being allowed to as the season is void.

For example Leeds/West Brom are likely to be promoted so that brings an extra £100m+ to them and they might have spent big on wages this year to get them back up a second season in the championship could finish them off and the same with teams in league one, league two, national league etc.

I'm not saying the season won't be void BUT you can never rule anything out.

They HAVE to finish the season however long it takes I mean people are still going to have to go to work so players may have to play behind closed doors for the rest of the season if need be.