Page 105 of 113 FirstFirst ... 555959899100101102103104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1126

Thread: The demise of Manchester United

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Yes, it does, replying to your posts where
    manu are likely to have more titles over the last decade than us in 2 years time
    Where ole is maybe the next Ferguson
    Where united were genuinely in a position to win the league (mathematcially)
    ^ that last one is a fucking peach

Genuine title challenge.... mathematically possible....

Ergo we were no more than 5 points away from being genuine title winners a few weeks back
    Yup - Seems maths is a problem in that there neck of the woods.

A genuine title challenge (mathematically possible)

Lol - I hope you didn't lose much money
    See this is the problem dude. I said genuinely in a position - not a genuine title challenge.

You must work harder in the finer detail. “If you save your breath - I feel a man like you could manage it”

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Seems maths is a problem in that there neck of the woods.
    I understand maths fairly well

I understand stating a genuine title challenge and bracketing (mathematically possible) to be a statement from a person who can work out basic mathematics, but not realise the stupidity of their statement.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    It matters a lot to about 95% of us I’d say. We are obsessed with them as they are with us.
    Can only speak for myself here, but (for me) it's less about an obsession with them specifically and more that they're the main semi-comparable outfit (within a situational context) for analysis of where-and-how a Dynasty falls apart.

How many sides in England have gone from largely dominating for 2 decades only to (relatively speaking) fall off the edge of the cliff?

Perhaps the "demise" word in the thread title gets on the wick of some people as it implies they're "gone" (haven't been relegated, just played a European Final) but in relative terms their fall is enormous.

13-in-18 to 0-in-8 is a demise. This period of time is "their" 1990s Liverpool and Ole is "their" Roy Evans. Do they persist with that? Do they get a "Houllier" in and recover? It's an interesting watch - just like AC Milan are, it's just that (comparatively) nobody cares much for Serie A on here - understandable as they're not historic rivals within our own League.

I understand maths fairly well

I understand stating a genuine title challenge and bracketing (mathematically possible) to be a statement from a person who can work out basic mathematics, but not realise the stupidity of their statement.

You do need to read the post and stop misplacing the word genuinely. They were absolutely and genuinely in a position where it was mathematically possible to win the title. Stand on your head all you like that is the fact.

And apologies for posting a TalkSPORT link - but it seems to serve a purpose.

https://talksport.com/football/86809...ity-de-bruyne/

Last edited by Steveo; 28th May 2021 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Can only speak for myself here, but (for me) it's less about an obsession with them specifically and more that they're the main semi-comparable outfit (within a situational context) for analysis of where-and-how a Dynasty falls apart.

How many sides in England have gone from largely dominating for 2 decades only to (relatively speaking) fall off the edge of the cliff?

Perhaps the "demise" word in the thread title gets on the wick of some people as it implies they're "gone" (haven't been relegated, just played a European Final) but in relative terms their fall is enormous.

13-in-18 to 0-in-8 is a demise. This period of time is "their" 1990s Liverpool and Ole is "their" Roy Evans. Do they persist with that? Do they get a "Houllier" in and recover? It's an interesting watch - just like AC Milan are, it's just that (comparatively) nobody cares much for Serie A on here - understandable as they're not historic rivals within our own League.

This is probably the nub of it Sid. It has connotations of finality. That’s what always worried me.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post

We should laugh long and hard at any and all of their failings IMO as long as it stays within the confines of relatively harmless poking fun. I don’t like when the nasty stuff comes out on either side. Take the opportunity to enjoy their struggles because as Steveo says it’s only a matter of time until they strike it lucky and then they’ll be laughing at us. No point in laughing less at them in case they start winning and hoping that they might laugh less at us when they do. They’ll rightly be pissing themselves at our ineptitude in the near future. So why worry about it. It’s inevitable.
    It’s football at the end of the day.
    Last edited by eggy81; 28th May 2021 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Artist reply, how fitting...

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Take the opportunity to enjoy their struggles because as Steveo says it’s only a matter of time until they strike it lucky and then they’ll be laughing at us.
    Although it took us 30 years. That is a long expanse of time. This thread was partially an intellection inquiry into the question of how long it could take them to return. It's a perfectly fair question

Agree - think Sid has got to the crux. It is basically that word ‘demise’ that worries the paranoid among us.

The poking fun and gloating stuff will always happen - personally I don’t like it when we have done worse - but each to their own.
    Last edited by Steveo; 28th May 2021 at 09:08 AM.