Page 51 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4144454647484950515253545556575861101 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise of Manchester United

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I often get slated for this, But i dont think the likes of Gerard Houllier was a geat manager for us.For the money he spent.. we only ever challenged for the league once and that was when Thommo was in charge..
    Same with Rodgers.he bought a lot of trash. It was really Suarez who was a kenny signing.. Gerrard who was a home grown and world class that season he was in DM. Sterling who was already here.. Our defence was shocking..and most Rodgers signings were the defenders ie Moreno and Mignolet.

The only 2 decent managers we have had in the last 30 years have been Rafa and Jurgen and you can tell by the standard of players they have purchased.
    Of course we had Dalglish for a year or so. But he never got the chance to prove himself over a longer period.. So we have wasted a of money over the years.
    You won't get slated from me, i didn't rate him either. He bought a load of dross, mainly from his own country and we were very lucky in all three finals in 2001. The best signing he made was Sami Hyypia.
    Last edited by skyebo; 17th August 2020 at 12:28 PM.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    You won't get slated from me, i didn't rate him either. He bought a load of dross, mainly from his own country and we were very lcky in all three finals in 2001. The best signing he made was Sami Hyypia.
    It was a shame, we had amazing forwards in Fowler and Owen. we should have achieved more. Heskey was great in his first season. Then he went to pot. something went wrong there.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

I don't really like slagging off old managers except Hodgson lol

Quote Originally Posted by fiordearg View Post
    I don't really like slagging off old managers except Hodgson lol
    No.1 - Reaction to a 2-0 loss to the Bitters

“From what I saw I thought we dominated the second half totally. I thought the shape of the team was good today; the quality of our passing and movement was good. We didn’t score goals and Everton did but I refuse to accept that we were in any way outplayed or any way inferior. I watched the performance and the second half was as good as I saw a Liverpool team play under my management that is for sure.”

No. 2 - Nando linked to Mordor

“I don’t think Fernando Torres will be the only striker they target, and I don’t think that we will be the only club that will be worried their striker can be targeted. I am not naive to believe there won’t be any danger and we will never lose a player like Torres, I understand these things can happen.”

No. 3 - Herp dee derp, muh methodz tranzlate herp derp

“Unbelievable. What do you mean by that? In 35 years, how many clubs have I had? What do you mean do my methods translate? They have translated from Halmstads to Malmo, to Orebo to Neuchatel Xamax, to the Swiss national team, so I find the question insulting. To suggest that because I have moved from one club to another, that the methods which have stood me in good stead for 35 years and made me one of the most respected coaches in Europe don’t suddenly work is very hard to believe.”

No. 4 - A Raul pain in the bum

“He (Meireles) had two training sessions and played on Thursday night and he played again on Sunday so it is very early for me to make strong judgements about where his best position is. The work we do on the training field will show me how best to use him.”

No. 5 - Clueless about the protests

“Those people (protestors) aren’t making my job any easier”

No. 6 - Dig at Rafa Benitez's signings

“I think you can pay an awful lot of money for poor players and you can pay not very much money for very good ones – it is all to do with how good your scouting and your eye is. There are a lot of things here that the club has got to get right. We have got a lot more expensive failures on our list than good players that we have brought in for next to nothing.”

No. 7 - Glen Johnson comments

“He’s the England right-back and, if he plays like that, one would expect him to come back in when he’s fit. But then he’d have to play like the England right-back and up to now, to be quite frank, he’s not performed – very often at least – to the level I’d expect of him. You would have to ask him ‘do you think you’re playing like the best right-back in the country for your club?’ If he says yes, obviously we will have to agree to differ.”

No. 8 - The rivalry with United

“I’ve been involved in some big derbies in my career and you know how much they mean to the fans. It compares with Inter v Juventus. The Milan derby was a big occasion but the derby d’Italia was the real killer one, as it were.”

No. 9 - Torres accused of diving, fails to defend his player.

“I didn’t think it was necessary to say it because it was insulting people’s intelligence. For me, it was one of Alex’s inflammatory little digs to make his victory even sweeter and our defeat even harder and that’s part of the game.”

No. 10 - Comparing Liverpool to Fulham

“At the moment arguably one or two of the players that you are suggesting are very different to the Fulham players’ maybe are not playing any better than the Fulham players played. Journalists work on names and not on performances. You watch people play and you base your judgement on their name and not necessarily what they have actually done on the day of the game.”

What a time to be alive
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Hodgson was fucking awful

The signings, everything.

but we don't think of those years any more, it's just a past nightmare, a bump in the ride, life is a rollercoaster baby.

Never mind "coming home" for england, some of the lyrics could be used for us at that period of time. especially the "30 years of hurt"

"so many jokes so many snears"
    Last edited by Kev0909; 17th August 2020 at 01:30 PM.

Its not a matter of slagging of managers.. The discussion was how much have we spent between our last title and the one now. Its not like our managers weren't backed in the transfer market they were.
    It was the manager/s in the end that wasnt good enough to claim us the league. You can't blame anyone else in that sense.
    I personally backed Rodgers at the time on here when he was getting pelters, near the end of his reign. But looking back at his transfers. They were diabolical.
    Last edited by justme; 17th August 2020 at 01:35 PM.

I often get slated for this, But i dont think the likes of Gerard Houllier was a geat manager for us.For the money he spent.. we only ever challenged for the league once and that was when Thommo was in charge..
    Same with Rodgers.he bought a lot of trash. It was really Suarez who was a kenny signing.. Gerrard who was a home grown and world class that season he was in DM. Sterling who was already here.. Our defence was shocking..and most Rodgers signings were the defenders ie Moreno and Mignolet.

The only 2 decent managers we have had in the last 30 years have been Rafa and Jurgen and you can tell by the standard of players they have purchased.
    Of course we had Dalglish for a year or so. But he never got the chance to prove himself over a longer period.. So we have wasted a of money over the years.
    Rafa bought a lot of dross too and often we only had Ngog as backup striker.
    Aquilani, El Zhar, Dosseni, Josemi plus many more who just seemed to clog up the reserves and were never class. Think he had 3 world class goalies at one time but the other 2 fell by the wayside - what was the thinking there? (I stand to be corrected)

Benitez signings
    https://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/20/1
    Last edited by scientificred; 17th August 2020 at 03:02 PM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Rafa bought a lot of dross too and often we only had Ngog as backup striker.
    Aquilani, El Zhar, Dosseni, Josemi plus many more who just seemed to clog up the reserves and were never class. Think he had 3 world class goalies at one time but the other 2 fell by the wayside - what was the thinking there? (I stand to be corrected)

Benitez signings
    https://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/20/1
    I agree, but his main signings were very good, he wasnt given the funds to be able to make a better squad.. He had to sell Alonso to make funds for other players..
    And there was that shit with cowboys at the time. Not sure if Rafa would have won us the league. But he was one of best managers in the last 30 years (in my opinion)

Rafa brought us the 'best midfield in the world' and fernando torres at his peak. He was nobbled by not being really supported by those two bastards. what was it he said, something like he wanted a three piece suite and they got him a three legged table or something like that wasn't it?

I agree, but his main signings were very good, he wasnt given the funds to be able to make a better squad.. He had to sell Alonso to make funds for other players..
    And there was that shit with cowboys at the time. Not sure if Rafa would have won us the league. But he was one of best managers in the last 30 years (in my opinion)
    Was it not the case that Rafa was interested in Gareth Barry and Alonso got the hump?
    Was it not the case that the owners at the time were questioning his buys - perhaps 25 % brilliant, 25% ok and 50 % dross?
    Rodgers, Dalglish, Houllier and Evans and Souness were similar in my opinion and they all seemed to lose their way.
    Jurgen and the present owners have surprised me and delivered!