Page 52 of 113 FirstFirst ... 24245464748495051525354555657585962102 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise of Manchester United

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    You won't get slated from me, i didn't rate him either. He bought a load of dross, mainly from his own country and we were very lucky in all three finals in 2001. The best signing he made was Sami Hyypia.
    didn't he bring El Hadji Diouf here?
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Surely Houllier deserves credit for making the club relevant again. When he won the cup treble the club hadn't won a trophy in 6 years I believe. I think the beginning of the end for him was letting Anelka go and buying Diouf instead

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post
    Surely Houllier deserves credit for making the club relevant again. When he won the cup treble the club hadn't won a trophy in 6 years I believe. I think the beginning of the end for him was letting Anelka go and buying Diouf instead
    Winning a cup treble is a quite unique achievement. Has anyone else done this?
    I think Houliier was quite good for a while but struggled after his health problems.

I'd be curious to know more about the what goes on in the fitness and conditioning side of things at United.

Reason I bring it up is highlights of the Inter match. Physically, Lukaku looks like he is in incredible shape right now - super strong and a large frame, but doesn't seem to have any of that extra "beef" on him - didn't look sluggish at all - very much put the afterburners on for one of the goals too.

I know Shakhtar players probably wouldn't be quite as quick as some of the Premier League players on average which might have made him look a touch quicker, but the difference in him from United and now is night and day.

I know there will have been some staff change with Solskjaer coming in, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Winning a cup treble is a quite unique achievement. Has anyone else done this?
    I think Houliier was quite good for a while but struggled after his health problems.
    Man.u did it in 99 I think, a different treble which of course in their eye's was better, I think not

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    didn't he bring El Hadji Diouf here?
    Yes he did
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    Man.u did it in 99 I think, a different treble which of course in their eye's was better, I think not
    Of course their treble was better.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    Of course theirs was better, included in their trophies were the league and champions league.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Gerard Houllier deserves massive credit. He literally turned the club around, we were going nowhere and still relying on the old boot room boys nonsense thinking it would bring the glory days back. We had one of the best defences in Europe under him too do some of the stuff said about him on here is not only disrespectful its also complete horseshit.
    He got us back on track, won us trophies and established us in Europe again.
    Sometimes people on here don't have a clue about the history of the club.

The best defence while being defensive..we had some of the best strikers in the world.. I just look at the amount of money he spent and the squad he left Rafa with.

Just because Houllier was a great man which he was.. doesnt mean he gets a free pass. people are allowed an opinion on things you know?
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century