Page 61 of 113 FirstFirst ... 115154555657585960616263646566676871111 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise of Manchester United

The Utd being shit now is a double edged sword for me.

I still enjoy watching them lose and the succession of failed managers they are building and always will.

However, I just cannot build up any level of rivalry/hatred of City, in my head they're not even a real football club. They're just a corporate entity with fuck all support that has an infinite amount of money. How can I see them as rivals, it's a fucking stupid concept for a football club, laughable and sad in equal measure.

So at the same time as enjoying Utds current demise I'm also saddened that we have no real rivals anymore in a footballing sense and we kind of need Utd to be that rival for the combination of the joy of victory and it being 'directly' over them of all teams. Not us putting one over on City.

And don't even mention Everton, that's become more of an abusive relationship than a rivalry.
    "Wilfully ignorant since 2012"

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Looks like they could be signing Cavani.

At just 33 years old he is one for the future
    File alongside Falcao, Sanchez and Di Maria.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    File alongside Falcao, Sanchez and Di Maria.
    Swiensteiger and Ibra

Cavani was surplus to requirements and hardly featured last season. His reward two seasons at Old toilet

Its because they cant get anybody else. They wanted to pay 75 million for Sancho and 15 million in add ons.But Dortmund wanted 110 million.
    I doubt Woodward is going to back Ole with that amount of money. When Solskjær cant be guaranteed to be there next season. the other players don't want to come.Or the selling clubs want too much.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by fiordearg View Post
    Cavani was surplus to requirements and hardly featured last season. His reward two seasons at Old toilet
    Exactly. A free agent and nobody picked him up. Says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by GarciasMuffin View Post
    The Utd being shit now is a double edged sword for me.

I just cannot build up any level of rivalry/hatred of City, in my head they're not even a real football club.

So at the same time as enjoying Utds current demise I'm also saddened that we have no real rivals anymore in a footballing sense and we kind of need Utd to be that rival for the combination of the joy of victory and it being 'directly' over them of all teams.
    Removed some to get to the juice as I find quoting a whole chunk and then replying aesthetically distasteful

As much as beating United is enjoyable and how much I'd love ONE (my Heart couldn't take any more) instance of a genuine title race with them (where we win) or Champion's League Final with them (where we win) my overall feeling is that I spent the bulk of my Football-following life seeing them win title after title. They were the Schoolyard bully and I like to see bullies get their comeuppance - I doubt we'll see it as they will always have money to throw at the problem, but rather than become a legitimately competitive rival I'd quite like them to be relegated instead.

City are indeed a joke but after plenty of years of carrying a heavy weight around it's actually rather pleasant to get a reprieve of sorts, going into matches pretty much expecting to win, our biggest "problems" being wanting to be more clinical or wanting better squad depth (when we have some of the best in the World) or bemoaning occasion "selfish" moments from Salah rather than appreciating just how hard he works and that we have an insane-if-unconventional attacking system it is really rather nice to not have much "stress" as a fan and I for one am loving it.

Yes that sentence was much too long.

I am sure in a year or two my Heart will yearn for genuinely bitter feelings towards a Club (Atletico might do it if they knock us out of Europe again!) but I never experienced the 80s as a fan and this whole thing of being a dominant Lion strolling through the plains, swatting annoying buzzing flies away with casual flicks of the tail is a pleasant change of pace, compared to the desperate scramble for light we had in an overly dense corner of the Garden as those around us seemed to be sprouting as we wilted.

Enjoy the view from the Summit while we have it my friend, it can all change much too quickly. We went 30 years without a Title, Arsenal are up to 17(?) years now which the media don't harp on about and United look set to reach 10 years without one quite easily on their current trajectory. We may build a Dynasty, or we may struggle to phase a new side in - we just don't know yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Swiensteiger and Ibra
    Hope he doesn’t become as effective as Ibra was though. What was it 3 trophies in the 2 seasons?

29 goals in just over 50 apps..?

Hopefully Cavani isn’t that effective but he was never in Zlatan’s class tbf.

Ibra is a different breed of animal compared to cavani, don't insult him

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Hope he doesn’t become as effective as Ibra was though. What was it 3 trophies in the 2 seasons?

29 goals in just over 50 apps..?

Hopefully Cavani isn’t that effective but he was never in Zlatan’s class tbf.
    And most was against the dog and duck teams in the Europa League.
    He was shite and cost a shit load of money.