Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brexit Article 19 and signing under 18's

Brexit Article 19 and signing under 18's

Well, all Premier league clubs are in for a huge change in how they are able to populate their academies and develop young players to qualify as homegrown as of the end of this month.

FIFA's Article 19 stipulates that international transfers of players is not permitted for players under the age of 18, Premier League and all European clubs who were members of the EU benefited from an exemption to this rule for the last few years because of the EU freedom of movement laws, now the UK is officially leaving the EU and ending freedom of movement arrangements immediately when the transition period starts Premier League clubs will no longer be able to sign youth players under the age of 18 from EU clubs to train and bring through their academies for 3 years to qualify as homegrown, putting them at an incredible disadvantage in this respect to all other EU clubs
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

If we're still looking to tie up a deal for Pedro Brazao we need to get it done by 11pm Friday as it represents our last chance to snap up U18's from European clubs and develop them as homegrown, we might actually have to get it done today, as we officially enter the transition period ending FOM tomorrow

It's going to be fairly interesting watching the "coming over here....." crowd complain about their club's decline in 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    It's going to be fairly interesting watching the "coming over here....." crowd complain about their club's decline in 5-10 years.
    Yep, the bad knobs! FSG are going to have to take up my suggestion of investing in a network of youth coaches who will also act as youth scouts and taking over or setting up grass roots youth football clubs and setting up companies to provide training in schools in our catchment areas and even general sports coaches who can identify naturally fit youngsters and use sports science to profile those most likely to develop into top athletes and get them into football if they're not already

The only positive for English clubs is it will stop EU clubs being able to sign UK players under the age of 18, and there have been a few of those in recent years, like Jordan Sancho for example who signed for Dortmund aged 17. It's not a benefit in terms of their development though

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    The only positive for English clubs is it will stop EU clubs being able to sign UK players under the age of 18, and there have been a few of those in recent years, like Jordan Sancho for example who signed for Dortmund aged 17. It's not a benefit in terms of their development though
    I suspect that the numbers would show far more English clubs hoovering up foreign talented kids than English talented kids going abroad to be honest.

You're right though, there's going to be plenty of people shocked to see the lack of talent in the youth ranks, although forcing clubs to focus on genuine 'home grown' players rather than 'home grown' in name only might not be a terrible thing.

Can't think of many youth players that we've signed from abroad that have made it with us to be honest? Suso comes to mind but he didn't last long, think the current crop are okay with Hoever probably the stand out foreigner.

Of our current youth set up we have the following foreign players that the club have signed/poached from other teams...

Abel Rodriquez – French fullback
    Billy Koumetio – French centre back
    Vitezslav Jaros – Czech goalie
    Jakub Ojrzynski – Polish goalie
    Pedro Chirivella – Spanish midfielder
    Matteo Ritaccio – Yank midfielder
    Dal Varesanovic – Bosnian midfielder
    Anderson Arroyo – Columbian defender
    Last edited by Aldo1988; 30th January 2020 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    MAYBE......it will balance out.....the likes of Sancho had to leave to get a chance......maybe there will be more chances for english talent in this country.......how it will affect the quality of the homegrown quota is a different matter???

Ha, cool! Didn't know this was a thing.

Maybe we'll see more English talent in the PL now?
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    Can't think of many youth players that we've signed from abroad that have made it with us to be honest? Suso comes to mind but he didn't last long, think the current crop are okay with Hoever probably the stand out foreigner.

Of our current youth set up we have the following foreign players that the club have signed/poached from other teams...

Abel Rodriquez – French fullback
    Billy Koumetio – French centre back
    Vitezslav Jaros – Czech goalie
    Jakub Ojrzynski – Polish goalie
    Pedro Chirivella – Spanish midfielder
    Matteo Ritaccio – Yank midfielder
    Dal Varesanovic – Bosnian midfielder
    Anderson Arroyo – Columbian defender
    Mcmanaman Fowler Carra Owen Sterling Gomez Trent
    Cant think of one foreigner who broke through as they did. Can you ?

Theres an argument players would be better off staying in their own countries as kids, as it's a challenge to adapt nowadays in these more millennial/softer times.

Then younger players here or recently here
    Ojo
    Ejaria
    Ibe
    Solanke
    Brewster
    Wilson
    Kent
    Lewis
    Williams
    Jones
    Elliot