Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 256789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Curtis Jones

For all his failings Hendo joined us when he was 20/21, similar age to Curtis now but with the eye-watering price tag. Very few players that age escape criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Klopp led us to titles, Alisson, VVD, Mo and Mane all clearly more pivotal in our title success.
    As ever with Liverpool under Jurgen it is about the entire team, and their combined ability to play the system, Hendo got POTY on merit in our title winning season, we won it because the tactics, most notably the press and counter press and winning of second balls and recycling balls from set pieces were absolutely out of this world, played as a team to the highest levels we have ever played them and not coincidentally, in the run of game that Fab was out and Hendo was there at No6 organising and orchestrating it to those levels, making sure everyone was on point and making the play.

And he did it so well it literally didn't matter who came into that midfield with him and Gini, Milner, Lallana, even Oxlade and Shaq, he made fucking damned well sure it still worked and functioned to it's highest levels at No6, he was without out a shadow of a doubt our MVP in the title winning season and it's not a coincidence we've never reached those same levels since he was moved from there, that was the point everything went a little downhill as a team.

Now in the Champions League winning season, there were numerous great saves by ALisson, absolutely crucial ones, numerous brilliant one v ones and one v two moments of defending by Virgil, moments of incredible inspiration and absolutely picture book sublime goals from Mo and Mane, but those things were barely required in the title winning season, because we played the system, led by Captain fantastic, to an absolutely sensational level
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Jesus wept Steveo, one minute you are defending a Forum member’s right to opinion, the next I’m obviously confused..very confused for having a different opinion to yours.
    Got some frightening news for you mate, you, despite what you believe, are not always right.
    In fact quite often you are not right and indeed very confused.

I have not said Henderson is a better player than Gerrard, a player who I have frequently called our best ever and as I have seen most of our Greats live, on a regular basis, I would suggest have a valid opinion on the matter.

I have also not stated anywhere on here that we won four major trophies in a year solely because of Jordan Henderson but don’t let any of that stop you from your usual point scoring rant, portraying yourself as the font of all knowledge.
    You have an opinion Steveo and that is all it is, you may do well to remember that and if you are about to “go off on one” yet again, please make sure you diatribe has some relevance to the subject matter by actually reading your would be victim of ridicule’s posts before waffling on.

I merely stated that in my opinion, Henderson helped other players (particularly younger and less experienced players) through a game and to perform better. He also drives the team forward.
    Gerrard played his own game, leading by example and expecting others to follow said example and raise their game to follow suit.
    It didn’t always work in fact it often didn’t work, he often looked like a first team player playing with the reserves and kids.
    And that wasn’t just because he was levels better than pretty much all around him, he didn’t encourage and coach his way through a game encouraging all around him for 90 minutes, he played his own game.
    Sorry if you can’t understand the difference between someone’s playing ability and the effectiveness of their captaincy but I can’t help you with that, that’s your problem.

Calm down dear. I believe you you missed the point Skye was making - it happens, get over it man. You are more than old enough to accept it without wanting to stick the boot in.. Ex copper are you?

Anyone who has this somewhat overblown sense of how AMAZING Henderson is, (and he has done so well no doubt ) who wants people to accept their opinion that he is a better captain than Stevie G - well they shall have to also face the backlash such a suggestion warrants!

Yes even the forum police

EDIT
    Last edited by Steveo; 1st October 2021 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Klopp led us to titles, Alisson, VVD, Mo and Mane all clearly more pivotal in our title success.
    Exactly..... they carried us to it.

Henderson is a solid 6/10 7/10 most of the time, but soon as he has a few good games he's the best midfielder ever.

I appreciate what he's done for us, but I won't call him something he's not.

Still think midfield is our biggest weakness, (which does say a lot for how good our team is now) but henderson is included in that.
    Last edited by Kev0909; 1st October 2021 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HLOGI View Post
    Let me weigh in on this direction that this convo has taken...

Henderson ability & contribution...

I have not been one to slate of Henderson, however there is a saying great players make average players good and good players great. Henderson has had the privilege's to play for the best Manager with at their prime some of his team mates fall in the bracket of world class to very good (Van Dijk, AB, Salah, Mane, Trent) on their day some of the finest footballers of their time. For me the Henderson of 2013-2014 is the best version I have seen of him as footballer. 2018-2020 was special as a group and as the captain he obviously had a great part to play in that. Henderson is a hard worker. A horse. a Good player not great, not world class. In his earlier days when people were slating he was shite at times and kudos to him for proving some wrong but his ability is still where it was. He just sweats blood for the team but his footballing ability is good not spectacular.

VS. Gerrard and who is better captain...

Gerrard also played with world class talent but there is not one person who could say that he played with 1 player on a higher level than him. He was the most naturally talented player of his day and perhaps of any day. One can even argue that the world class level of players he played with are a higher level than all this group. The reason we didn't win a title SAF had a stronger 11 and 22 all the season Gerrard played and then Wenger and Mourinho also did. Gerrard's Liverpool mounted title challenges with David Ngog as back up striker. Won CL with Jimmy Traore and Milan Baros. Single handedly won the fa cup when individual errors were handing West Ham the cup.

Gerrard was a captain that led. He led with ability but also with his mouth and inspiration. There was no more inspirational and proffesional footballer than Gerrard.

Henderson is our most successfull skipper of the last 30 yrs but some might argue we could have won those with or without him. No one can make that argument of Gerrard. He pulled us out of mud on numerous occasions, Henderson never does, he may be a barker and vocal captain but it is disrespect to even say that Henderson is a better captain than Gerrard.

Gerrard is that general that is a soldier first and his action on the battlefield makes others to believe. Someone said take Gerrard out of Benitez team and replace Hendo and put Gerrard in this group. I think under Klopp with Gerrard we maybe win much much more titles because Klopp would have a 20 goal season midfielder in the team but also a captain whom the team would resect as they do Hendo if not more.

Gerrard is probably the best footballer (this includes being captain) I have seen in my days on earth.
    Superb points well made.

Still think Clint Dempsey would have made more of an impact
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    Still think Clint Dempsey would have made more of an impact
    "Don't Tread"

Still don’t understand the point do you Steveo? Still a little confused it seems.

As for the ex copper jibe.. just making yourself look even more ridiculous, carry on.