Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Curtis Jones

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    He'd have suited Klopp like a glove.

Think you could leave Hendo on the right and play Gerrard on the left of the 3. Fab 6, Hendo8 and Gerrard 10. A bit like the setup when lallana played with Gini early on.

Mane Robbo and Gerrard on the left would add a few more goals and assists to what we've had on the left.
    Our left side is more solid defensively than our right, so I'd leave Hendo as an anchor and free Gerrard to get forward and score goals.
    Mouthwatering prospect. Imagine his passing looking for salah movement.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Mouthwatering prospect. Imagine his passing looking for salah movement.
    Indeed, the required physicality and that quality would be lovely to see.

The RCM role with the license to go and attack would have been perfect for Stevie
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

We'll have to agree to disagree.

VVD was imo the true poty in our pl title winning season. Hendo was great too but I'd suggest perhaps he got it as a measure of the story, being English and VVD getting it the year before.

There's a core group that all contribute, true, but the 4 I've listed have over the years been the cornerstone of our success. Our ppg record with VVD in the starting 11 is mightily impressive.

Iirc both our fullbacks contributed their share too, Robbo equalling and Trent breaking the record for assists in a season by a defender in the pl. Robbo perhaps the poty for the 2019 calendar year.

Klopp has led us to success though first and foremost, the team is littered with quality and leadership due to his profiling of targets.

The difference for me between Hendo and Gerrard is that Gerrard was was leader and the hero. In terms of picking one to captain a side, it's Gerrard every day of the week.

There's a little symmetry in ways but in a choice between VVD and Carra in terms of leadership, the football quality prevails as the primary criteria and the leadership subsides in terms of relevancy.
    I was talking about the title winning season, I wasn't talking about who is the best Captain. The success of our team and all the talents you mention is hugely dependent on our pressing and counter pressing and the organising and orchestrating of that and the holding together of that comes from midfield

When does Big Bear let goals in? Usually when the defence can't make the angles for him they usually do

When do even our very best defenders fail to make the angles for Big Bear, let players one v one against him or have a free hit without an angle being made for him? When the opposition get to play the ball from a midfield area with no pressure on the ball

When do opposition sides gets to play the ball from a midfield area to connect a forwards run with no pressure on the ball? When the midfield press, counter press, winning of second balls and tracking of running isn't at the levels it needs to be

It isn't rocket science, it's how our system works, practically every single goal we ever concede comes through our midfield press, counter press, winning of second balls, understanding which player they should be staying with or tracking not functioning at the levels it has to. Trent or Robbo don't get anywhere near as many opportunities to attack, show and provide their quality when it isn't working as it needs to either and neither do any of our forwards, unless released by a medium to long ball over the top, from the second ball from that attempted pass or a switch, which more often than not comes from Hendo and almost always came from Hendo in our title winning season

Looks at the Villa result, only Hendo and Mane were missing, the Watford result, only Hendo was missing, the disastrous first leg performance v Atletico in which Fab came in at No6 with Hendo moved to RCM and they parked the bus after scoring through targeting Gomez's weaknesses at a corner and had everyone except Fab marked up and let him have the ball and he didn't have the required distribution

The vast majority of what I mentioned about the importance of the midfield press are born out in the stats in that run or game

Virgil:
    Bournemouth 0 Tackles 1 interception 2 clearances
    Alisson:
    Bournemouth 0 Saves 0 Claimed crosses

Virgil:
    Watford 0 Tackles 1 interception 3 clearances

Alisson:
    Watford 1 Save 0 Claimed crosses

Virgil:
    Leicester 0 Tackles 0 Interceptions 2 clearances

Alisson:
    Leicester 0 Saves 0 Claimed crosses

Virgil:
    Wolves 0 Tackles 2 interceptions 3 Clearances

Alisson:
    Wolves 1 Save 0 Claimed crosses

I could go through the entire list, I'm not a huge one for the stats, but the stats through that entire run I was speaking off completely and absolutely bear out, that in that title winning season, in the vast majority of all our games, the need for Virgil to defend as he can and as he did in 18-19 and Alisson to makes saves as he did just simply wasn't there, our press was SO fucking good, Virgil and Alisson were spectators the the vast majority of A LOT of the games and rarely needed to be called upon

In 17 Premier and Champions League games prior to Fab's injury we kept 2 clean sheets and conceded 19 goals

In 14 Premier, Champions League and CWC games in his absence we kept 11 clean sheets, which would have been 12 but for Twatkinson allowing Dunk to pass a free kick into an empty net v Brighton while the just introduced to the action Adrian was still lining up his wall after Alisson's rare misjudgement saw him sent off and conceded just 3 goals (one of them the Brighton Dunk goal) and the stats comprehensively so how little Virgil and Alisson were required to be called into action in the game in that run
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 2nd October 2021 at 01:42 AM.

In the 12 Prem end of the season games Hendo missed entirely, we conceded 17 goals and dropped 10 points out of a possible 36, so the League being won on the back of incredible personal displays by any of our defence or our goalkeeper line simply doesn't stand up, we won the league by 18 points, over the entire season in all competitions, without Hendo at No6 and the phenomenal levels of our press, counter press, winning of second balls, direction of which players to pick up or track and recycling of balls from set pieces, our defence and keeper were shipping goals and dropping points in both the league and Champions League

Dear Curt Jones, No Pressure
    Haha brilliant.

He has a big day tomorrow. Was very good v Brentford and superb against Porto, Shitty will obviously be a far sterner test but we know he has the quality.

Unleash the beast within - and let’s kick baldy in the balloons

Hughes Souness and Hansen were all better captains than the both of them, but they all played alongside much better players. Carragher was the leader, he just didn't get the armband, a few have said he never shut up during a game.

Gerrard considered leaving when every top club wanted him.

Hendo told the club to fook off looking for a wage reduction during a pandemic.

Lucas Leiva sacrificed several transfers out of the club to answer injury crisis issues.
    #LFC
    #LucasForCaptain
    Some just can handle "facts"

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I was talking about the title winning season, I wasn't talking about who is the best Captain. The success of our team and all the talents you mention is hugely dependent on our pressing and counter pressing and the organising and orchestrating of that and the holding together of that comes from midfield

When does Big Bear let goals in? Usually when the defence can't make the angles for him they usually do

When do even our very best defenders fail to make the angles for Big Bear, let players one v one against him or have a free hit without an angle being made for him? When the opposition get to play the ball from a midfield area with no pressure on the ball

When do opposition sides gets to play the ball from a midfield area to connect a forwards run with no pressure on the ball? When the midfield press, counter press, winning of second balls and tracking of running isn't at the levels it needs to be

It isn't rocket science, it's how our system works, practically every single goal we ever concede comes through our midfield press, counter press, winning of second balls, understanding which player they should be staying with or tracking not functioning at the levels it has to. Trent or Robbo don't get anywhere near as many opportunities to attack, show and provide their quality when it isn't working as it needs to either and neither do any of our forwards, unless released by a medium to long ball over the top, from the second ball from that attempted pass or a switch, which more often than not comes from Hendo and almost always came from Hendo in our title winning season

Looks at the Villa result, only Hendo and Mane were missing, the Watford result, only Hendo was missing, the disastrous first leg performance v Atletico in which Fab came in at No6 with Hendo moved to RCM and they parked the bus after scoring through targeting Gomez's weaknesses at a corner and had everyone except Fab marked up and let him have the ball and he didn't have the required distribution

The vast majority of what I mentioned about the importance of the midfield press are born out in the stats in that run or game

Virgil:
    Bournemouth 0 Tackles 1 interception 2 clearances
    Alisson:
    Bournemouth 0 Saves 0 Claimed crosses

Virgil:
    Watford 0 Tackles 1 interception 3 clearances

Alisson:
    Watford 1 Save 0 Claimed crosses

Virgil:
    Leicester 0 Tackles 0 Interceptions 2 clearances

Alisson:
    Leicester 0 Saves 0 Claimed crosses

Virgil:
    Wolves 0 Tackles 2 interceptions 3 Clearances

Alisson:
    Wolves 1 Save 0 Claimed crosses

I could go through the entire list, I'm not a huge one for the stats, but the stats through that entire run I was speaking off completely and absolutely bear out, that in that title winning season, in the vast majority of all our games, the need for Virgil to defend as he can and as he did in 18-19 and Alisson to makes saves as he did just simply wasn't there, our press was SO fucking good, Virgil and Alisson were spectators the the vast majority of A LOT of the games and rarely needed to be called upon

In 17 Premier and Champions League games prior to Fab's injury we kept 2 clean sheets and conceded 19 goals

In 14 Premier, Champions League and CWC games in his absence we kept 11 clean sheets, which would have been 12 but for Twatkinson allowing Dunk to pass a free kick into an empty net v Brighton while the just introduced to the action Adrian was still lining up his wall after Alisson's rare misjudgement saw him sent off and conceded just 3 goals (one of them the Brighton Dunk goal) and the stats comprehensively so how little Virgil and Alisson were required to be called into action in the game in that run
    Think you're looking at a small enough set of games and extrapolating beyond a reasonable standard.
    You are very quick to dismiss Gomez who had a similar great run in the side, but adamant on Hendo. I get you have further views on these matters.

I'd contend that the team for just over 2 years was failry impeccable.
    2 cl finals, a 97 point season and a 99 point season as it would turn out leaves opponents defeated before they took to the pitch.