Page 231 of 248 FirstFirst ... 131181221224225226227228229230231232233234235236237238241 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,310 of 2478

Thread: Coronavirus and the impact on football

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I don't believe any government. Surely you would need to be supremely naive for that. I just think people should think before trusting what they are told without evidence.
    I don't think its far fetched to believe that China ( or their Govt ) are uncredibly sinister and untrustworthy. Their human rights record alone is atrocious and they don't give a fuck about it either.

Not sure what their human rights record has to do with the reporting of Covid data.

However - it isn’t far fetched at all that the Chinese state is manipulating the data - I am not arguing that point. I am however suggesting that their numbers are right in line with most of their neighbours AND are in fact worse than Taiwan - Thailand or Cambodia. Why does nobody point to those nations and suggest that they are manipulating the data too?

There are many other countries with lower mortality than China according to the data we can see.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post

Being honest none of us know the REAL stats so pointless debating as stats can be twisted however you want.
    In which case there would be no point discussing it.

Not sure what their human rights record has to do with the reporting of Covid data.

However - it isn’t far fetched at all that the Chinese state is manipulating the data - I am not arguing that point. I am however suggesting that their numbers are right in line with most of their neighbours AND are in fact worse than Taiwan - Thailand or Cambodia. Why does nobody point to those nations and suggest that they are manipulating the data too?

There are many other countries with lower mortality than China according to the data we can see.
    I just meant that the fact they see no wrong with their human rights record and the way they treat people in general is a reason to feel they are mistrustworhy.
    I agree on the other surrounding countries. Especially South Korea and Singapore. This difference between mortality rates might never ever be known. Behavioural, Diet, climate? Could be a mix of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    In which case there would be no point discussing it.
    There are many things we don't know for sure (how the universe came to be, if we're alone in it or not, whether our front three are going to take a team apart or be unable to hit a barn door etc) but we keep discussing them anyway. Why? Because sometimes that's how you arrive at the truth, and because humans like talking about stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    There are many things we don't know for sure (how the universe came to be, if we're alone in it or not, whether our front three are going to take a team apart or be unable to hit a barn door etc) but we keep discussing them anyway. Why? Because sometimes that's how you arrive at the truth, and because humans like talking about stuff.
    He himself said it was pointless because you can twist them anyway you want. So that means it’s not, as you suggest, a case of a truth waiting to be discovered but instead a truth that is obscured by the fact that we twist the facts to suit ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    He himself said it was pointless because you can twist them anyway you want. So that means it’s not, as you suggest, a case of a truth waiting to be discovered but instead a truth that is obscured by the fact that we twist the facts to suit ourselves.
    If anyone 'twists' a fact, it is no longer a fact. The only thing that changes is the interpretation of/narrative surrounding said fact(s).

So are you disputing those numbers? Doesn't seem like the Guardian is making them up - you can find the same numbers from many sources. Nobody is arguing that mortality is far lower in east Asia as it seems to be reliably informed.

Are you also suggesting that New Zealand are lying? - Perhaps Australia too? Different demographics and both can point to closing borders to differing degrees.

Would you believe what you read in the Daily Mail for instance..

AND - The Guardian may well be woke - but it is most definitely not far left in the slightest. See the "treatment" Corbyn got.

Come on - what you know about it - is what you hear on the telly..
    Its hard to know what the "truth" is but they are VERY low numbers..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    If anyone 'twists' a fact, it is no longer a fact. The only thing that changes is the interpretation of/narrative surrounding said fact(s).
    I agree. I don’t think it’s pointless discussing the facts concerning Covid-19, clearly

Here's a brief visual aid that puts the scale of death from covid in perspective