Page 209 of 248 FirstFirst ... 109159199202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216219 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,090 of 2478

Thread: Coronavirus and the impact on football

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post

Can anyone explain why people are not wearing masks in shops or public spaces.
    They are almost entirely here in London and Liverpool at least. Not sure where you are, Dicko

One positive consequence of people actually washing their hands and sanitizing is their is practically no gastro this year.
    I've had three patients with quite bad gastroenteritis in the last fortnight. I haven't seen any figures for the season so you may be better informed than me.

One thing though is we have to get away from thinking these diseases are simply things we catch from other people. The conditions have to be right. The classic virology example is the expedition of 12 seamen who went to the arctic circle and 6 of them got ill after 4 and half months of isolation. Where did they catch it from and why did the other 6 not get ill?

There are more bacterial cells in the body than human cells. The microbiome has a life and complexity of its own, affected by all kinds of factors. The dog we keep, the food we eat, the EMFs we are exposed to, the chemicals in the water and in the air, how we sleep, our emotions - the list is almost endless.

When we shake hands we exchange bacterial populations and update and renew our own biome. It is very bad for us to be isolated from each other - our immune system is affected. So, life would be easy if all we had to do was wash our hands but that isn't how things work.

I hope by the end of spring the vaccine will have protected a majority of the elderly and weak.
    The vaccine appears to me to be fulfilling a psychological need rather than a protective one. Many people who have had the flu vaccine this year have already had the flu. That's normal. Bill Gates himself - mr vaccine - has said that the coronavirus vaccine would kill a small percentage of people as collateral damage. I think someone calculated from his percentage that a global roll-out would kill 700,000 people.

And remember Professor Bhakdi pointed out that we won't be able to measure its success. The death rate is currently so low - three in 10,000 people with the disease - that it will be impossible to spot the statistical change.

So that with precautions we could go about a more normal way of life.
    If we went back to a normal life right now, nothing would change in terms of mortality except many more people would get the healthcare they need. And if the WHO are to be believed, we would save the lives of a million or so of the poorest children in the world who face starvation and related disease.

I hope like the previous pandemic in 1918/1920 will last 2 years.
    The jury is still out on whether that was one virus or a set of concurrent viruses. That population were devastated by war, demoralised, full of intense grief for a lost generation, and malnourished. Again, avoiding creating unnecessary grief, poverty and depression may be far more wise a policy that pinning our hopes on a vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    They are almost entirely here in London and Liverpool at least. Not sure where you are, Dicko

Where in London? I've been to North, North West (where I live), West, and Central London (albeit only once) since mask-wearing became compulsory and I would say on average 35% to 40% of people aren't wearing masks.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

I’m in Southport and everywhere I have been in the North West has seen the vast majority wearing masks in retail outlets and when moving around in Cafes and restaurants, probably at around 95%.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I’m in Southport and everywhere I have been in the North West has seen the vast majority wearing masks in retail outlets and when moving around in Cafes and restaurants, probably at around 95%.
    Yes, I mean inside shops etc. I don't wear one if I'm outside, lot's of people do.

It was more in response to the original question from dicko, asking why people weren’t wearing masks in shops Vin.

I wear a mask in shops and restaurants but my wife wears one from when she leaves the house til getting back unless eating or drinking in a cafe or restaurant. I take mine off outdoors.

Over here it's more like 99% wearing masks in shops. Though we've been wearing masks for years over here, so no big deal !!

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    It was more in response to the original question from dicko, asking why people weren’t wearing masks in shops Vin.
    I can only wear disposable ones, I bought a fabric washable one, which makes me feel a bit nauseous after about 20-25 minutes.

Taksin, do you think that private clinics and healthcare facilities will soon start being able to charge for the vaccine?
    Anyone under the age of 60 is going to have to wait some time for the rollout. Maybe if they do that then events,concerts,sports etc can restart. Plus its an easy way for the government to make money and start clawing back what they have had to pay out during this pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Taksin, do you think that private clinics and healthcare facilities will soon start being able to charge for the vaccine?
    Anyone under the age of 60 is going to have to wait some time for the rollout. Maybe if they do that then events,concerts,sports etc can restart. Plus its an easy way for the government to make money and start clawing back what they have had to pay out during this pandemic.
    Considering the money City have I'm amazed they haven't had their players vaccinated. And ith two of their players coming down with it shows its not on the open market yet.