Page 43 of 248 FirstFirst ... 333637383940414243444546474849505393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and the impact on football

Most of the touted solutions assume it'll all blow over in a few months and hope we can just start again next season with business as usual.

(And assume nobody will eat bat soup or fuck a pangolin)

Meanwhile there are reports that coronavirus survivors can be reinfected and science says there won't be a vaccine in time for next season. And we're pinning our hopes on herd immunity. There's no guarantee there'll be a next season.

The difficulties in breathing sound as though they are caused by the viral infection then producing a bacterial infection of mucus on the lungs and airways, that could obviously lead to reinfection or that bacteria lurking in the body to re-emerge as a super bug resistant to antibiotics at a later date.

I don't see any further football taking place this season, I think it is highly likely that football will not be able to commence for the start of next season either

This idea that was can suspend all football for a few weeks or cancel the remainder of this season's fixtures and return to business as usual with pre-season tours and friendlies in July is very misguided in my opinion
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

good to see ant and decs Saturday night takeaway survived the scare. Cause this virus is only transferred in football stadiums.

Interesting to note the badminton at Birmingham NEC is on going as I type with 16,000 fans in the arena

Hi everyone - been a long time since my last post!
    The effect of this virus will probably last for yesrs.
    This season must be completed but may need next season to achieve this end.
    Next season will have to be cancelled otherwise we will have at least another year of unfulfilled fixtures.
    I fear for a lot of things but football is not the most important.
    Curiously this virus is setting in almost immediate action what 'Extinction Rebellion' have been asking for.
    I hope everyone and their families manage to keep well and keep following the 'limited' guidelines.
    This virus needs a world solution so I hope big politicians stop playing 'political football' with it and start talking with and helping each other.
    I was thinkimg today whilst using the lift to the 7th floor 'who has just been in here before me? and if the lift fails is the lift engineer srill available if it fails or has he/she fallen ill? how would I know?' then when I got a taxi for my girlfriend 'who has been in that car before her?'. I think the world is changing rapidly beyond recognition.
    I also looked at my retirement funds (not much but they were just about enough to get by) which are due soon and see that they have plummeted in the last 4 weeks by 50% and continue to plummet on a daily basis.
    Many people must be in the same boat. I think it will take many many years for them to recover.
    Regarding footballI hope that when football properly restarts it is from the grassroots and that this gets televised.
    How long will top class footballers continue to bank their wages ?
    Unfortunately I think this season, even if we are eventually awarded the title, will always go down in history with an asterisk next to it.

Theres a couple of reports it could be off till September. So that's boxing,horse racing,concerts, everything all off. It's just crazy to think that will happen. Think of the unemployment if that happens.
    I just cannot see it. It's a major change to civilisation.

Everything apart from ant and dec

Apparently all ant and dec audience members were swabbed and showed no signs of the virus so that’s why the show went ahead 🤥

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Totally. This is something we will have to live through, maybe for years until a vaccine is made.
    Is life going to be on hold until its eradicated? Not realistic, it would be like walking dead.
    Here in Canada we are reportedly close to a vaccine for the virus.The US has already tried a type of vaccine with some success.

Quote Originally Posted by fagin View Post
    Here in Canada we are reportedly close to a vaccine for the virus.The US has already tried a type of vaccine with some success.
    Vaccines cant be fast tracked (unless it's already on the market for another condition). They have to go through animal testing etc.
    I read that the US has something buy it's in very early phase development.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Vaccines cant be fast tracked (unless it's already on the market for another condition). They have to go through animal testing etc.
    I read that the US has something buy it's in very early phase development.
    The US used what was not passed and was still in the development stage but it was given because without it the patient would have died.It was successful.
    With Canada they are leading the field for a vaccine and are combining other vaccines plus to achieve a result. on todays news update they're claiming a possible vaccine within a few months
    As everyone is aware most of the nations are not going to have problems the aged on the other hand are at risk but as you know mainly people with underlying illnesses already
    Last edited by fagin; 14th March 2020 at 09:55 PM.