Page 56 of 248 FirstFirst ... 64649505152535455565758596061626366106156 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and the impact on football

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    I've actually had the disease, as it turns out. Today is day 12 for me in terms of symptoms. I had originally dismissed the idea as I presumed I was too early, but the symptoms were so severe and they matched, so I suspected it more and more as I went along. Then I spoke to a colleague who works in the NHS and she said the doctors and surgeons have been telling her it's two weeks ahead of the schedule outlined in the govt press release the other day. That means it widespread already.

Strangely though, I'm the only person I know who's had it. None of my contacts have thus far caught it from me - although carrying it is a possibility.

The cough was really intense and painful but the last few days have felt like I was having a heart attack, coming in waves in the evening, and since it has been easing today and yesterday, it just feels like waves of angina. I did think I could die of a heart attack overnight, but it seems less likely now. I'm 49 and in very good health.

The whole picture is looking quite surreal now. My opinion is that the economic effects of this shut down are potentially catastrophic and could lead to widespread civil unrest. My commitment is to act with peace towards others, no matter how selfishly they are behaving.

Best wishes to all of you on here. Be good to each other!
    Do you have children? Have you any inkling as to where you've picked it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I'm not sure why exactly the fuck people are prattling on about the season having to be abandoned and declared null and void as it was for WW2, in that season the teams had only played 3 fucking games the morons, big fucking difference

The first world war started in the summer, so the league was cancelled for a few seasons, but no games were even played

There are only 2 precedents in recent history for League's being completed to the stage ours has been, being suspended and unable to be resumed, in both cases the leaders, by far lesser margins than our lead is, were awarded the title

The leaders of Chile's top division were awarded the title last season when it was suspended and unable to resume due to civil unrest

And UEFA intervened and awarded Partizan the 1998-1999 Yugolsavian First League title after it had been suspended with only 24 of 34 games played because of NATO bombing of the former Yugolslavia
    War, civil unrest, bombing...all manmade interruptions to the footie.

After WW1 ended in Nov 1918 amid a flu pandemic, the footie resumed for the 1919-1920 season. Good for morale. By then Britain had had three waves of flu but the pandemic wasn't officially declared over until the end of 1920.

It's all about political will.

Virgil van Dijk is talking like he expects the remaining games to be played behind closed doors.

I wonder what the players have been told...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51896368

I'd imagine players at the top of the table are being told...'don't worry, there's no chance the season will get voided', and players fighting relegation will be told..'don't worry, there's no chance we can complete the season, the only choice is to cancel it'.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

What is the official line if ahead of one of these potentially re-scheduled games a player from a club reports in ill with suspected virus and has gone into self-isolation but has, say the day before, been in close contact with the rest of the team, management staff etc.
    This may mean many players or even the whole team also having to go into self-isolation. Would the game have to be postponed ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    War, civil unrest, bombing...all manmade interruptions to the footie.

After WW1 ended in Nov 1918 amid a flu pandemic, the footie resumed for the 1919-1920 season. Good for morale. By then Britain had had three waves of flu but the pandemic wasn't officially declared over until the end of 1920.

It's all about political will.
    The world was different then. Foreign travel was a luxury and no airlines. Today the world is so globally connected.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    The world was different then. Foreign travel was a luxury and no airlines. Today the world is so globally connected.
    It was very different but soldiers were still travelling long distances which helped to spread it.

There may not be any airlines tomorrow the way its going!

Would it not be possible to postpone the Euros and play them at the same time as the Africa Cup of Nations (Jan 2021). Assuming the ACoN qualifiers can be completed, it'd make sense to have these at the same time.

Hi Stevie
    It is not a helpful comparison.
    Completely different era.
    Everywhere is so tactile today and so many things/places necessary to touch or enter without knowing who has been there just previously. Keep well!

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    What is the official line if ahead of one of these potentially re-scheduled games a player from a club reports in ill with suspected virus and has gone into self-isolation but has, say the day before, been in close contact with the rest of the team, management staff etc.
    This may mean many players or even the whole team also having to go into self-isolation. Would the game have to be postponed ?
    That's kind of what I was alluding to in earlier posts about the potential difficulties of completing the season and the Premier League should impose a requirement to see test results of any player or staff member allegedly having tested positively for the virus. As in the circumstances you suggest, it's likely all fixtures would be postponed again.

Anything in which 100's of millions pounds are involved can frequently be subject to skulduggery, for several teams, especially those at threat of relegation or those who have been faltering of late like Leicester or even Chelsea (whose form has picked up though)who may fear they could slip out of the top four, the season being ended as it is and the Premier League applying the Chile precedent that it has been suggested they will would suit them absolutely fine.

Unfortunately, for those teams, as things stand, it is not in their best interests to ensure the league is completed
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”