Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    I would happily swap him for Keita.
    Sanches is becoming more than a tenuous link
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/renato-sanches-liverpool-transfer-news-20892029

It's just Jose Enrique saying Sanchez would be a good fit. the club are saying there is no serious interest. (Could be a smoke screen of course). We were heavily linked with Sanchez about 18 months ago, and many on here, including me, said 'oh no;, based on the showing he had at Swansea and his spiralling downwards career. But I have to say he has completely transformed himself in to a very good player. I don't watch french league, but have been amazed at his performances for Portugal. Would be a perfect replacement for gini. But his price will have gone up after these euros.

He's been doing great, but what worries me is what's stopping him coming over here and going back to Swansea sanches form????

It's a bit of a risk.

We've already got a few underperformers compared to how they use to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I understand what you're saying in terms of him being a valuable servant to the club and that he wasn't costing us the Earth. I like Wijnaldum a lot and there's a BIG part of me would have been very happy if he stayed.

However, if he does, then in 3 years time you would be looking at -

Henderson - 34
    Wijnaldum - 33
    Thiago - 33
    Van Dijk - 32
    Firmino - 32
    Salah - 32
    Mane - 32
    Fabinho - 30
    Ox - 30

Unless you're Man City, Chelsea or PSG, you probably can't afford to be replacing 5-9 players who are in the "first 17" of your squad over the course of 2-3 windows, so we need to look at doing our work a little more gradually.

It's part of the reason I love seeing us linked to players aged 21-25. You can totally see (age-wise) why we brought Keita, Ox and Fabinho in - they're still "only" 26, 27 and 27. Two of them (mainly injuries) haven't really worked out in terms of becoming constant presences in the starting XI, but in terms of age profile we had done the right thing targeting those players. In theory 2 or 3 of them would be in the "main" midfield three (rather than the bench options) whereas you can only really say Fabinho has been a "success" in that regard.

Those three should have bought us time - Mane and Salah certainly did - Mane has given us 5 seasons already, Salah has given us 4 - and they still have more in the tank - with Firmino (already here) having given us 6 seasons now. Ideally you want to bring in similar profiles of player - I think Firmino joined at age 24, Mane at age 24 and Salah at age 25 - you want to "repeat the trick" as it were, if you can, supplemented by even younger signings and academy prospects to keep the ball rolling.

The main thing to avoid is what we have witnessed happening to Barcelona. They have combined hanging onto players for too long with big wages, plus not getting their long-term replacement targets quite right.

Wijnaldum (in isolation) looks a loss, for sure - but with Curtis Jones breaking through (even though I don't think he is quite ready yet) and Thiago having joined to help "evolve" the side, you can see the logic looking at the big picture - and more tough decisions will lie ahead.

Van Dijk - 32
    I get where your coming from on the age thing. But my only concern is next season. Wijnaldum is playing extremely well. Will we replace him with some equally good or better?
    We can always get another midfielder next season..some one younger. Just a bit daft how we let him leave in my opinion
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Isn’t Sanches abit injury prone ?

He is obviously talented but Gini was a machine who played most games we don’t want another Keita on our hands.

Don’t think McGinn is good enough personally.

City rumoured to be close to signing Grealish for £100 million. FFP my arse

I'm sure city could do a lot better abroad for money, but maybe they need a english player

End of sterling?

I don't see him that good, I don't think he'll win them the champions league for example..

I'm not sure who i'd prefer, him or sancho.

Meanwhile we're trying our best to get players out for 10m to make up transfer fees

100m? They can have him. Good player but I don't ever see him being a top end player who's worth anything close to that. Its typical of the frivolity of that club, pure shithouse they are.
    If they're not spending stupid amounts on fullbacks they have to spend it somewhere else.

One for 19

Liverpool have begun talks with PSV Eindhoven about a deal for 22-year-old Dutch forward Donyell Malen, who is expected to cost about £34m. (Sky Sport Germany, via Express)