Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    he never got to play that role as the more attacking midfielder of our 3 Crimson, he played a deep lying controller role for us

Our midfield consists of, and has for some time

A No6/DM, 2 No8's one playing the controller role, the other playing as our more attacking midfield of the 3, sometimes it's a No6/DM and 2 No8's both playing as controllers
    You almost make it sound as if he hasn't had bucketloads of shots to score and either missed or hit the woodwork, ...had great attacking opportunities where he could play in a teammate but instead chose to dribble into a blind alley or a wall or opposing defenders thus losing us possession (.....over and over again),...or the numerous upon numerous times he was missing in action during the game and it was almost like we were playing with 10 players, getting overrun in the midfield and in games where we could have used someone taking the game by the scruff whether they were/are an attacking mid-fielder or not.

None of these things were contingent on him being an attacking midfielder.
    But they did need him to show up and be counted.

And far too many times (especially away from home) we was almost always missing.

Case in point :
    In the season before last, when we won the title and when Fabinho played most all the season in his natural defensive midfielder position, we got almost as many goals from him (playing from a deeper position) as we did from the midfielder playing ahead of him.
    And that's not even his role.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post
    There was a recent interview with Klopp about the set up of the German team at the Euros and he said he's not a fan of a back 3 so I can't see it happening
    Thats good then
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    You almost make it sound as if he hasn't had bucketloads of shots to score and either missed or hit the woodwork, ...had great attacking opportunities where he could play in a teammate but instead chose to dribble into a blind alley or a wall or opposing defenders thus losing us possession (.....over and over again),...or the numerous upon numerous times he was missing in action during the game and it was almost like we were playing with 10 players, getting overrun in the midfield and in games where we could have used someone taking the game by the scruff whether they were/are an attacking mid-fielder or not.

None of these things were contingent on him being an attacking midfielder.
    But they did need him to show up and be counted.

And far too many times (especially away from home) we was almost always missing.

Case in point :
    In the season before last, when we won the title and when Fabinho played most all the season in his natural defensive midfielder position, we got almost as many goals from him (playing from a deeper position) as we did from the midfielder playing ahead of him.
    And that's not even his role.
    We've not had a player capable of taking a game by the scruff of the neck since Gerrard left.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    So I rather not go into the season with even less depth after last season.

Better than gomez on the right still
    We've managed alright without Brewster, Ibe and Solanke - all of whom, at one stage or another, were showing signs of doing bigger things than Neco.

Neco is....fine. He might develop to be really, really good and good luck to him if he does, but watching Chiesa rinse him repeatedly in the Italy v Wales game showed he has a lot of development to do yet and he isn't going to get all that many chances if Trent is fit - and to be fair he usually is - played every League game of our League-winning campaign for example if I'm not mistaken.

Funds are relative. After the effects of the Pandemic, would I take £10m for a player who isn't crucial to the set-up? Yes I would - particularly as we don't know if things are going to get worse - projections for a 3rd/4th wave with Covid (Delta strain) could scupper match attendance all over again. Selling (for example's sake) Neco at £10m and Grujic at £15m could be the key to getting that bit of midfield or attacking depth that is of higher value to the set-up than a back-up right-back.

Besides, just because he might be going, doesn't mean we will have zero contingency plan if he leaves - could be a loan and/or a youth promotion and/or the use of players like Milner, Tsimikas or Ox - we will likely find cover one way or another.

Sounds fine Sid but after last summer and the lack of action this January - faith in our contingency planning is at the low end of the spectrum.

Edit: I am starting to fret already at a lack of activity. We are already playing catch-up and seem to be dragging our feet once more.
    Last edited by Steveo; 22nd June 2021 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Sounds fine Sid but after last summer and the lack of action this January - faith in our contingency planning is at the low end of the spectrum.

Edit: I am starting to fret already at a lack of activity. We are already playing catch-up and seem to be dragging our feet once more.
    Arent we the only team at the top end of the league who has signed anyone ?

We like all the others are waiting on Copa America and Euros to finish as they are the players we will sign.

I cant see us buying anyone from Africa due to the games in Jan/Feb.

We will buy a forward im certain of that and looks like a midfielder too.

If Neco goes who knows what we'll do with him but the lad wants/needs to play football.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

You need to calm yourself down man. It's not even July !!

They should wait and see how Gomez fares after injury before selling Williams on. If he keeps breaking down, we have no cover for Trent.

Oh yeah we're defo going to do well and challenge for the league if Ox is injured like usual and Milner has to play at RB sid against some fast attackers

I'm sure we'll go far in the champions league too

Just filling in positions again like the whole CB scenario, doesn't go well, but you know that's what happens with "poor" owners, and why i'll be mad surprised if we win anything again anytime soon under yanks.

Quality of depth is shite and those that aren't shite, we got them from bargain basement because they spend most of the time injured/unfit, apart from Keita who naturally was the best signing obviously.

best we can do is frigging minamino
    Last edited by Kev0909; 22nd June 2021 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    We've not had a player capable of taking a game by the scruff of the neck since Gerrard left.
    You mean we haven’t had a player obviously better than the rest of the team to bail us out when we’ve been utter garbage since he left, which is probably a good thing when looking at the current team because it’s full of quality and leaders dotted around the pitch or at least it was for those 3 good years. Hopefully we can get back on top form next season.
    Last edited by eggy81; 22nd June 2021 at 11:08 AM.