Page 54 of 659 FirstFirst ... 44447484950515253545556575859606164104154554 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Why Matip? He's probably not on too much money and is a decent defender. At times he's looked as good as van Dijk. Good age, experienced, doesn't play for his national team iirc. Think he's an ideal play with whom to rotate VVD and Franco Joeresi.
    He spends too much time out injured.

He does, but he's not going to be a starter. Think he's a great option to have on the bench.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Much as I'd love us to have the capacity to do so, even ignoring the impact Covid-19 has had on finances, we have conceded 21 goals in the League.

That's unlikely to end up being more than 25-26 over the 38-game period you would think, unless City have a blinder against us.

I don't think we're suddenly going to be able to bring that number below, say, 20 goals conceded for the season, perhaps even with Koulibaly. Would be interesting to Google for a bit on which teams have had the most water-tight records in our League and in others. We're certainly closer rather than further.

I still think pulling away in more matches is probably a bigger priority really. 14 of those wins done by a single-goal margin remember.

Even the Atletico tie I look at and think "yes, it's easy to blame Adrian" but had we scored a goal in the first leg we could have done things differently, or indeed had we got our second goal before the end of normal time in the second leg, we would be through. Difficult against arguably the best defensive side in World football, but we are meant to be one of the best attacking sides ourselves - we should have been able to find a way.

Hopefully there is a bargain or two to be had out there, or money to be gathered from a Lovren sale (I'm sure Fabinho could plug a gap if we got stuck) or a Shaqiri sale, or indeed the 30% of any Luis Alberto sale.

Had Covid-19 not happened we would be in an even stronger position, but I will certainly take being League winners with a squad that can challenge for the League and Champion's League next season.
    16 conceded in 1979 / 42 games

Saint maxim looks capable of warming our bench. I think he's a better player than traore

Decent shout eggy mate. Difficult to tell in a poor team but he certainly stands out, would be cheaper with lower wage demands and less demanding of a starting berth.

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    16 conceded in 1979 / 42 games
    Oooooft, that is Bananas!

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Saint maxim looks capable of warming our bench. I think he's a better player than traore
    Newcastle will get a big pay day from him.

any chance we get Willian ?

on a free i think

PL experience ... can add to squad depth

has Brazilian buddies at Liverpool

and scored against city to kill the game

makes sense to me unless his wage demands are high
    Last edited by fayyazms; 2nd July 2020 at 08:17 AM. Reason: additional comments

Quote Originally Posted by 3underpar View Post
    Newcastle will get a big pay day from him.

Is he better than Origi?
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by fayyazms View Post
    any chance we get Willian ?

on a free i think

PL experience ... can add to squad depth

has Brazilian buddies at Liverpool

and scored against city to kill the game

makes sense to me unless his wage demands are high
    Pre-lockdown there was a lot of rumours linking us to Willian. Think he'd be a strong squad player for us.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"