Page 102 of 659 FirstFirst ... 252929596979899100101102103104105106107108109112152202602 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

19 has something been said about Thiago? Or are you just going off today's reports?

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post

Little analysis of him.
    Great video. Hes like the finished article of what we bought keita to be. In the actusl matches I've watched him play he looks more skillful and assured than naby. They look to do similar things on the pitch though.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    They look to do similar things on the pitch though.
    The thought of Thiago, Keita and Henderson all playing simultaneously in some games is pretty mouth-watering, especially against "lesser" sides - we need to put teams to the Sword a little more often, too many one-goal margin matches this season.

That's not a complaint - I'm ecstatic to have won the League - I just don't think winning by one-goal margins with such regularity is overly sustainable and it would be good to have more matches where we are 2-0 up after 35 minutes and can see the rest of the match out, with some of that done in controlled possession of the ball with the capacity to sit slightly deeper without it and maintaining the constant threat of a counter-attack.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

The thought of Thiago, Keita and Henderson all playing simultaneously in some games is pretty mouth-watering, especially against "lesser" sides - we need to put teams to the Sword a little more often, too many one-goal margin matches this season.

That's not a complaint - I'm ecstatic to have won the League - I just don't think winning by one-goal margins with such regularity is overly sustainable and it would be good to have more matches where we are 2-0 up after 35 minutes and can see the rest of the match out, with some of that done in controlled possession of the ball with the capacity to sit slightly deeper without it and maintaining the constant threat of a counter-attack.
    I agree. Though I do think you can count on the fingers of one hand teams that actually severly tested us in the league this season until recent games. We smashed most teams in every way except on the score board. Imo we changed tactics to utilise trent and robbo extensively in our attacking and a lot of our play involved shifting it endlessly from wing to wing in front of a packed defence waithing for the perfect delivery. Thiago would be ideal in finding variation against park the bus tactics. We are slredy the masters of the counter attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    But then we need a new CB. Who are we going to get?
    Left-field idea.

Lovren goes. Wijnaldum's contract does indeed get renewed. Thiago Alcantara comes in.

Fabinho becomes the centre-back option (another excellent passer on the pitch when he plays) when Gomez doesn't play. Alcantara "replaces" Fabino's slot in the midfield during such times.

Lovren's sale off-sets some of the Alcantara fee (let's say £30m for Alcantara, £10m recouped from a Lovren sale) and we have upgraded the squad with relatively small net spend.

It's not at all impossible.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

My impression of Alcantara is that he's nowhere near skilled enough a screener to fill in for the Fabulous One.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Wijnaldum has done a pretty good job in the no. 6 role in the past

Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    Don't know if it's been covered already....but apparently FFP has been canceled for the time being so clubs can invest to get Football going again?????
    Just to address this - it's not cancelled outright, what they're doing is factoring in a two-year spell, rather than one, to allow a little more wiggle-room.

So (for example's sake) a club might spend more NOW than they would have done due to Covid-19, in the knowledge that it's a calculated gamble as they won't be able to spend as much the following year if they wish to meet FFP.

On the flip side, other clubs (suspect we will do this) might hold onto money now because their squad is in decent shape, with a view to possibly having a little more to spend the next time round.

Naturally with the recent ruling over City and people having doubts as to how well FFP can be enforced, one or two clubs might splurge. But if they are adhering to FFP it's a bit of leniency that is out there now, not a total cancellation.

Left-field idea.

Lovren goes. Wijnaldum's contract does indeed get renewed. Thiago Alcantara comes in.

Fabinho becomes the centre-back option (another excellent passer on the pitch when he plays) when Gomez doesn't play. Alcantara "replaces" Fabino's slot in the midfield during such times.

Lovren's sale off-sets some of the Alcantara fee (let's say £30m for Alcantara, £10m recouped from a Lovren sale) and we have upgraded the squad with relatively small net spend.

It's not at all impossible.
    I don't much like the idea of Fabinho playing regular at centre back Sid, because the role he does play now is so difficult to get right.
    We are being linked again this week with that Brasilian Diego Carlos. As far as i can tell he can play both centre back positions. He seems to be a beast and is also a Virgilesque long passer of the ball. If we get him we have then options at centre back and Gomez can also get extra game time as cover for left back too. but it would give us the absolute luxury of being able to rest Virgil sometimes.

Hope the rumours about our interest in Diego Carlos of Sevila are true, we absolutely do need another top commanding experienced CB, Matip gives us that, I think he's excellent, but he is forever picking up injuries, Gomez has a lot to learn and while he is 'ok' supported by our press at it's best, he's been found wanting when he has had actual defending to do that doesn't involve him solely relying on his pace on far too many occasions this season and teams have targeted him and had success doing so, we can't afford weak links

Joe certainly has great promise for the future, it is a really tough situation, if you take a look at his wiki he has barely played any top flight games as a CB in which he wasn't part of our best 11 and supported and protected by an incredible press, he's never going to get the experience he needs to and learn what the likes of Matip, Van Dijk and most defenders have learnt coming through the leagues playing in teams that weren't so well protected and having a lot of defending to do. Can't see it happening, but loaning Gomez out for a season to try and get him more experience wouldn't be a bad idea
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”